Won't you contribute and continue?

:-)

For those who may have missed our 264 previous posts:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/928787/

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Cheryl, I am so glad you hubby may have a bug in his ear. I love the
floor and am thrilled hubby agreed to it. So much cleaner and stays
cleaner than that nasty old carpet we had.

I'll keep hoping for you!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Great kitty (and floor) pic!

Brenda

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Karen it was getting very slow :)

Missouri City, TX

I agree - great picture!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

WUVIE, do you think that brownbagging would work OK on furniture? I'm thinking about the top of a dresser that I want to do the sides & drawers in belts and I want a smooth/flat/hard leather-looking-but wears as hard as 10 coats of poly...

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Juney, I would say the sides would definitely work, and so would the top,
so long as you had a good number of poly coats on it. I would make absolutely
certain it was more than dry before placing anything on the dresser.

With multiple coats of poly, it should look just fabulous!

Anyone else have input? I'm by no means the master, LOL.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If it would work on a floor, I see no reason it won't work on a dresser.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do it in my dining room and living room. I'm not sure it would go with my decor. I like it, but I think I want some kind of light colored Tuscan-style tile. Anyone have any other floor ideas that might work for me?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Amazing what some people are willing to pay for some things.... if they are paying that much, maybe I need to become a pro at it - it will be at least a couple of yrs before it becomes poplar here!! LOL Gives me time to train........... ^_^

Genna

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Quote from ButterflyChaser :
If it would work on a floor, I see no reason it won't work on a dresser.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do it in my dining room and living room. I'm not sure it would go with my decor. I like it, but I think I want some kind of light colored Tuscan-style tile. Anyone have any other floor ideas that might work for me?

I think that the color is dependent on the color of the paper. Didn't someone have a link to one done with the red rosin paper?

I wonder how a butcher paper with a poly/stain would look....

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

My own personal opinion, I tried the rosin paper and it seemed to look more on the pink side.
Not for me.

mulege, Mexico

The wetter the brown paper is when you coat it with the sealer, the darker it will be. You could experiment on a few pieces of wood. Use different times for the final coat of sealer. You will see a lot of difference.

katie

JuneyBug,
I think brown bagging with belts would look great ..
the girl down the road wanted her's darker and put a stain on after it dired but before the clear coat she used. said it was darker around the edges of the torn paper looked more like old leather

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

probably already asked, but can you brown bag on cement?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

imapigeon.......... wondering if you ever did anything on your stairs and how it turned out ???
inquiring minds want to know ^_^

Genna

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Frilly, yes, you can, but you must seal the concrete first. I used Draw Tite on the bricks
by our woodburning stove and it worked just fine. :-)

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

hmmm. thank you , I will keep this in mind.

!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi again everyone, okay, so I've decided to do this in our motorhome, and DH is agreeing. I'm wondering how it is holding up for those of you that have done this... We have 5 dogs that travel with us in the moho. Also, my plan is to use nice heavy brown paper bags from the liquor store (good thing I like wine, I have plenty of bags, LOL!).

And, just to review, use wallpaper paste, use cabot oil based polyurethane (immediately for a darker finish, or after the paper dries for a lighter finish, right?). Does the wallpaper paste dry clear in case it gets on top of some of the paper?

Any further tips? I'm excited, except for the pulling up the old carpet part. It's not that large of an area though, and hopefully DH will help me with that. Thanks in advance!

Brenda

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Brenda!

Mine is holding up quite well! Last fall when hubby went hunting, I cleaned the floor and put another
coat of poly on, not that it necessarily needed it, but it sure looks nice, and the more coats the better.

You don't 'have' to use Cabot oil based, but it is what I used, and I love it.

If any of the paste gets on top of the paper, as in a loose blob, it will leave a spot, but nothing bad.
When you see a blob of paste, just wipe it off and continue.

You really should consider doing a few trial runs on a piece of plywood or something just to get the
hang of it. The more you do it the more you realize a system, a pattern, and your initial work may
look a bit different.

Best tip I can give you is to make sure you have all the sticky-outties pulled out of the floor and make
sure it is as clean as you can get it. Very helpful if you can work in sections, not too big. Small is okay.
And let it dry, let it dry, let it dry before putting furniture back on it.

PLEASE don't hesitate to ask any questions, one of us can definitely help.

:-) Karen

Missouri City, TX

Great to see this topic continue.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much, Wuvie! I have so many projects in the works right now, with yard cleanup and getting the gardens ready... today was pond cleaning day (soooooo glad that is done!). But, I want to get this floor done before the end of May when we take our next trip in the motorhome. So, I'll be on it! Thanks again for all the good advice and instructions. I will take pictures as I go.

Brenda

mulege, Mexico

In trying to line up supplies to continue my brown bagging I discovered that there is a shortage of Golden Harvest Wallpaper paste in Ca. I had to order some online and what I got is different from what I was using although the name is the same. The first stuff was a white liquid which soaked through the paper and dried clear. The ew stuff is much thicker and transluscent. It doesn't soak the paper as much. It may not dry as clear but I'm not sure yet as I just finished a wall and need to wait for it to dry to see what it does.

Will keep you posted.

kb

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, no, Katie!

Did they label it as GH-34? I'm sorry to hear this!

Karen

mulege, Mexico

Yes, it says GH-34. I think it will look OK but it is a different look than the first one. I'll have shelves on the wall so it's not a big deal. For others who might run into this, I think using a spray bottle of water after the paste and before the last coat of Draw-Tite might give the same look (darker) as with the original.

Home Depot, where I used to get the GH-34 in Ca. no longer carries wallpaper or its products. I tried Ace, Lowes and a few others without success.

Any of you who are planning to do some brownbagging might want to stock up on the GH-34 that comes in a gallon jug-type container if you can find it. The new stuff comes in a pail.

kb

mulege, Mexico

Update on the new GH-34. The good news is that it does a better job of sticking to my concrete block walls. It dried smooth. The worse news is that the color is much lighter. Applying water with a spray bottle before sealing with Draw-Tite might make it darker. The color with the new glue is a light tan, rather than the dark brown with the old paste.

For now I'd say to use one glue or the other and be sure you have enough to do your project if you're using the old type.

kb

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi Katie,

Wow, this is odd. I have always purchased the GH-34 in a pail. I wonder if they were
actually selling older stock all this time and wanted to get rid of it before changing to
the pail?

How strange.

mulege, Mexico

It is strange I wonder why mine done using the stuff in the pail is so much lighter than yours.

The paste in the jug (which is tall and retangular) is much thinner; sort of like Elmers. Being so liquid, it soaked the paper and if it was sealed right awway it stayed dark.

The paste in the pail doesn't soak in as much and it dries faster.

kb

Lorena, TX

this is the best idea i have ever found! making a log bed frame and wanted a leather look without the price. have done headboard and one side of footboard.....so easy......working on table so not crawling around. at 67 i don't crawl so good! thank you wuvie for your time and perfect directions. you are bodacious!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

What a neat idea.... post pics please so we can see your bed project!!

kanuallc, Pictures PLEASE!!!! :)

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Odd that I found this thread. I saw a similar thing on HGTV years ago and I always wanted to do it, so I finally did it to my wall and to an old corner nook, but have not finished it. Wanted to make sure my h liked it before I put the Urethane on the walls, since the last time I did it to the wall, my x could not sand it off or remove what was under it, so he painted over it. I did it with this paper in rolls that is really cheap at HD, in the painters section. I think it is for masking stuff off. I had a real dark brown and a lighter one like the bags, but the paper was shinier than the dark brown matte one and also sage green ones. I will have to show you, though not finished with the job and it will definitely be using the urethane after it is dry. I would like to do it on my floors but I don't know if H would go for it. I hate my dog piss carpeting. We have a mobile home though. I don't know if any of you have tried on a plywood sub floor?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I saw another technique on a house that was so cool. It was using straw, mixed in with plaster or Spackle and put on with a trough as a texture coat. It was cool and looked so rustic with these rough sawn wood beams and this texture on the wall, and they bullnosed all the corners. It would look great with those Saltillo tiles.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11
mulege, Mexico

I like the car the way it is. I would not recommend brownbagging it although I have considered the treatment for my poop brown van that has been through a few hurricanes and been rolled and side-swiped by a huge truck on a narrow Mexican mountain road.

kb.

LOL Katiebear ... I was also wondering about the Car ..

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Somehow that was an accident. I was looking for pictures of the wall and must have accidentally hit one. lol
It is not my car so I definitely don't want to brown bag it. I looked the technique up on a web search and saw some other cool ones. One guy dipped his in honey pine deck stain color too and it looked cool.

hellnzn11 what did he dip in the stain?

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

The bag paper or rolls of paper that he crumpled. He did it like you guys did, but her added not only the paste but he dipped the paper in the stain too for variation of color, besides the urethane or Verithane. I think it was on Doityourself.com, which I believe Michael told me at the RU in California that he is in charge of that site too.

hellnzn11 ..ok thats what I thought but going to check out the link .. thanks

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

The one with the gold, I don't think was on that site come to think of it. Others were though.

Good because I couldn't find it ..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.