Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow: Can you plant the seeds?

Communities > Forums > Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to growReplies: 6, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bolino
Swanton, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7513540

If you dry the seeds, can you plant them in the spring? Or, can you roast them and eat them?
Aunt_A

January 31, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7513803

If they aren't hybrid, they should do fine. I'm going to try w/ mine this year.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

January 31, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #7516155

It seems to me that years ago, my mother tried this. Because the squash had cross pollinated with other adjacent squash types - she got a mixed bag of things.
Aunt_A

February 1, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7517204

Might be fun. Squash do cross-pollinate.
martymco
Albuquerque, NM

February 1, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7519595

I tried planting the seeds a couple of years ago, and what I got was smaller and the skin was thick and tough, and as far as taste, you could tell it was some kind of squash, but didn't resemble the parent.
Aunt_A

February 2, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7520533

martymco,

That's too bad. The skin is bad enough THIN and tough. LOL

Thanks for reading and commenting.
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

February 2, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7523721

If the squash was an "heirloom" type to start with (the variety breeds "true" every year), and planted far enough away from any other squashes to prevent cross-pollination, the seeds can be planted the next spring. Just choose seeds from the best (biggest, sweetest, etc) squash(es) you get. (make sure the seeds haven't been cooked, first, as in softening the squash for easier cutting,,,)

As for roasting and eating the seeds -- Yes! They're just like any squash, and that includes pumpkins: The seeds are very edible after roasting. Add a little salt, and...yummy! :-D

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
spaghetti squash article joeswife 14 Oct 29, 2012 4:37 PM
Cutting Spaghetti Squash Vavoom 7 Oct 29, 2012 2:21 AM
wow... thanks Catrscr 1 Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Quick meal Gardennot 2 Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM
The Only Thing That Grew in My Garden! RxAngel 2 Feb 3, 2010 1:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America