Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow: spaghetti squash article

Communities > Forums > Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to growReplies: 14, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7513560

I thought I was the only one who grew up eating this yummy vegetable, thanks for this article, it took me back to when I was young, broke and could only afford the 25cents for the squash and the 25 cents for the sauce, knowing it would suffice for a meal for 3.
Now a days, I pay what ever it goes for and eat it with butter and pepper.. and it warms me up with memories, when I thought I had it bad, but really it was so good. I don't grow squashes here, no room for them, but if I could I would. I also love the acorn squash baked with butter and maple syrup, had that for desert alot. Great Article!
Debra
Aunt_A

January 31, 2010
1:39 AM

Post #7513801

Thanks so much! I love acorn squash and butternut, too. Can't stand them sweet but give me some butter, salt and pepper. Oh, yum!

Where did you get the squash for 25 cents? That's cool!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7514477

I tried my first one this summer. I microwaved it in sections, and sheesh, wish I had a hacksaw it was so hard, lol. I put salt and pepper and butter on it, and mixed diced ham with it. Yummy!
I bought it from an old farmer who had a cartful of them along side the road out here in the country. I will look for him next summer, too!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 31, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7514969

Thanks for the great article! I've been waiting for it because I discovered the spaghetti squash last year when a friend sent me over some seeds. I sowed 2 of them and I had the spaghetti squash vines all over my garden! I guided them to climb on the fence and I had a few squashes hanging so high! The blooms are great and the squashes are yummy. I was very interested in the best way to cook them, but you just gave me the answer. Thanks again, loved your article! I'll search for some pics to show you.
Adina
Aunt_A

February 1, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7517210

KyWoods and adinamiti,

Thank you both so much for reading and writing! Sounds good w/ butter and ham...although I try not to eat much pork.

I wonder how a hacksaw would work...LOL...nevermind, the hacksaws are all very dirty.

How did you cook the squash, adinamiti? Can't wait to see the pics!

Thanks again!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7517830

Aunt_A, I also baked it, like you did and served with tomato sauce, so yummy. But I gave a few to some of my friends and they were dissapointed because they couldn't see the spaghetti!LOL So I thought maybe my method wasn't the best.
Here's one of my spaghetti squash hanging by the fence.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7517835

Another one, seen from outside, the vines came down on the field nearby.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #7517836

Some flowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Cliffff
Altamonte Springs, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7517914

Been my favorite squash for years...To prevent becoming injured or injuring someone else...I simply poke lots of holes in the squash liked a baked potato...put it on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for one hour...adjust according to size of squash...remove it from the oven,,,cut it in half lengthwise...which is very easy...scoop out the seeds...take two forks and have fun removing the spaghetti...hope this helps...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 1, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7517945

Cliff, good idea. Thanks!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7518623

Oooo, that would eliminate the need for a hacksaw, thanks! LOL

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7520054

We discovered this squash when trying to lose weight on a lo-carb diet. We missed pasta way more than we expected and spaghetti squash came to the rescue!

We cook it the same as Cliffff (treat it like a baked potato), except in the microwave. It is very easy to cut apart and seed after it is cooked. We also like using this squash as a base for chicken alfredo, or add a cup of mixed veggies, butter, and seasonings.

Thanks for the article April,
Bev
Aunt_A

February 2, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #7520532

Awesome! Thanks for the pics and the information everyone. I must say the thought of poking holes in it jumped through my brain while I was sawing away on the hard squash! LOL

I didn't want it to explode in my oven, plus I wanted to save the seeds.

However, for future days, what a great idea.

Thanks again everyone.

April
BarbaraEmerson
Manchester, MA

October 29, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9319008

Hi,
Just read this article in the current newsletter. The easiest way to cook spaghetti squash is to boil the whole thing in a big pot. Cook it until it pokes tender! No more hacksaw!!
B
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9319505

LOL Thanks for that tip!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you plant the seeds? bolino 6 Feb 2, 2010 11:52 PM
Cutting Spaghetti Squash Vavoom 7 Oct 29, 2012 2:21 AM
wow... thanks Catrscr 1 Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Quick meal Gardennot 2 Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM
The Only Thing That Grew in My Garden! RxAngel 2 Feb 3, 2010 1:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America