Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Camellias - An introduction: Camellias: Zone 9 and Afternoon Sun ?

Communities > Forums > Article: Camellias - An introduction
bookmark
Forum: Article: Camellias - An introductionReplies: 1, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ceilifinnigan
Soquel, CA

January 31, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7514481

Hi, I'm looking for about 10 camellias for a foundation planting. The site is west facing, under oaks. A nurseryman suggested that sasquinas (sp) could handle the direct afternoon sun best (it's pretty hot about 3-4 hrs for 3 months) but we're coastal so our hot is seldom over 80 degrees. I've been reading about the wonderful Niccios Nursery and wonder if there is another wonderful camellia nursery in the north part of CA? Where is a great site to see the different varieties? I'm looking for a pink or white, 5'-8' tall (but we 'll just prune if it's taller), fast growing would be a bonus, and I love formal and/or double-type flowers.
midrashist
Philadelphia, PA

March 21, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7645529

camellia forest is in N.C., but there are a lot of pictures on their site, and some info on growing. They grow over most of the southeasern U.S., I don't think it's heat per se that is the problem but the sun on leaves. I plan to put a drip irrigation on mine. (They also need good drainage.)
Nuccio's is awesome to visit.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellias - An introduction Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Photos Sunblest5 6 Dec 7, 2009 11:44 AM
Southern Camelias gloria125 1 Dec 2, 2009 6:01 PM
Soil! NEILMUIR1 4 Dec 14, 2009 10:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America