Containers for forcing bulbs, water only method.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I had some hyacinth bulbs I wanted to force just using the water method. Didn't want to spend the big money on the nice glass containers you can buy at the store, so looking around I found some unused glad plastic containers. Cut holes in the bottom the size of the root bunch, filled some mugs and a wine glass with water up to the basal root. The lip of the glad containers fit over each of these glasses. I think I like them more than the one forcing vase I have. ;o)
Got a couple of pics for you.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Next ...

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Next ... and last.
Picture of the container with hole cut in bottom.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

You need to put them in a cool and dark place to make roots.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks, didn't know that. Some are making roots though, but I'm sure not as well if they were in the dark. going to do that now.

And cool......makes roots quicker and the dark will stretch the sprout as otherwise the flower will stay low and almost in the bulb. The sprout needs to be out at least 1 inch.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

There isn't a warm place in my home ... we keep the house at 60 so the basement is even cooler.
Thanks for the information.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I love doing this, too.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

SIXTY?~?~? YIKES, I'd never leave the bed~!~ *LOL* that's WAY to cold for me!!!

Parker, CO(Zone 5b)

Awesome idea! I just picked up some bulbs @ WallyWorld. They had packages of 7 bulbs for 1/2 price = $2.50. And, seeing as how much I love Hyacinths, I figured I'd try it. I'm *SO* glad I found this thread.. I'm going to do this when I get home! :D :D :D

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to have to try this trick too!!

When we go to bed we have the temp at 59 and leave it there until we come home at 4 in the afternoon. Then we turn it up to 64 and that really feels good until bedtime at 11. It is all in the mind....when you tell your mind that 59 is cold and 64 is warm.....well who is there to argue with you??

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

*LOL* I argue with myself AND THAT'S COLD!!!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey bleek, the roots have really taken off in the dark!

Just trying to help.

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I am having problems with my forced hyacinths in both water and planted in dirt. Those in water get fantastic root system but the bulb only puts up the flower an inch or two and the flower is short and stunted. I am attaching a picture of one that is in a pot but I get the same result in water. This is the 2nd year this has happened to me. When I purchased the bulbs at a reputable garden center the bulbs were labeled "ready for forcing"
Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Dee

Thumbnail by dmwade

You have to leave the pot or vase in the dark until the sprout is about 2 inches out of the bulb.

In your case the flowerbud never came completely out of the bulb and thus this result.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I never knew that about leaving the pot/vase in the dark until the sprout is about 2 inches out of the bulb. Thank you, bleek!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I ordered some bulbs and glasses a few years ago, and found out a wide top small vase is ideal. I found a few more at Wal-Mart, they are urn vases. they work great. I buy bulbs in the fall when they come out and sock the whole bag in the fridge for a month or two. Then I put them in the urns/vases and pit them back into the fridge. When roots form, they go into a window. If you can find charcoal pieces, a piece of it will help keep the water sweet. Luciee {;^)

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Oh by the way, the urn vases I got at Wal-Mart were a dollar apiece. :)

Victorville, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi! After coming across a quick video on home depots garden club website that talks about bulbs in water I decided that I wanted to try that since my bulb wasnt doing anything. After digging it up I did notice that roots grew quite a bit. Honestly I didnt pay much attention to the video and just went out bought a vase and grabbed a bunch of river rock from my front yard. And 8 days later it took off!! I think that what Bleek said is very much true! If I hadnt of left the bulb in the ground it probably wouldn't of sprouted roots like it did.

I was looking at the pictures posted by you (toofewanimals) and noticed that the roots were the only thing touching water... Should my bulb not be submerged like it is?

Thumbnail by Googlie4gardens
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Googlie4gardens, Just bring the water level up to the bottom of the bulb. It may take a little more as roots form. If the bulb is submerged, it might decay. Luciee {;^) This is a pentstemon, I have been told.

Thumbnail by luciee
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, tfa, I love your idea for hyacinth pots! Very clever. Thanks for sharing! I have not had a lot of success with water forcing and I'm covetous of your successes!

And bleek, thanks for the tip about leaving them in the dark until the flower is out of the ground. I didn't know that either and have had a number of stunted little things this spring...

I did force quite a number of hyacinths in garden center utility pots with soil, kept them in the dark covered in black plastic trash bags in the garage (not always long enough), and brought them out to finish off in the house. When they were worthy of it I then transplanted them into decorative containers and placed them around the house. Lots of fun.

With every year I get a little bit better at it, but I'm finding I'm a slow learner and need all the tips I can get from you all!

t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images