Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Peter peper seeds are here

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 3, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7517960

My Peters arrived!!! I have them in red, orange and yellow. I'm getting inconsistent info on hottness. Some say they are blazing hot, others say their just hot, others mildly hot. Has anyone here grown them? What do you say?

Thumbnail by yehudith
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7518239

this might help you

The Story of the Peter Pepper

The fiery little Peter Pepper has long been considered too hot to eat! Native to Louisiana and Texas, this blistering capsicum forms pods which naturally and consistently contort themselves into a miniature replica of, well - take a look at its scientific name: Capsicum annuum var. annuum 'Peter' (Penis Pepper).

These interesting peppers are certainly a conversation piece for the gardener who has everything! Seeds are almost impossible to obtain, and most plants are grown from much coveted "private stock" - plants grown year after year for seeds alone.

Actually, the word pepper can be confusing here. The familiar black or white pepper is a product of Piper nigrum and that is an entirely different plant! Peter Peppers belong to the genus Capsicum. The name Capsicum comes from the Greek kapto, to bite, an allusion to the hot, biting taste of the fruits. Some capsicums are sweet, some are hot, others are mild, and they all have unique shapes and culinary uses. Famous cousins of the Peter Pepper include the tabasco pepper and the jalapeno. However, Peter Peppers are hotter than the tabasco and at least 10 times hotter than the jalapeno.

Papa Jeabert's Founder:
The founder of Papa Jeabert's, Inc., Phil Gremillion was born and raised in the heart of Cajun country - Lafayette, Louisiana, and grew Peter Peppers in his back yard from seeds given to him by his father.

Little is known about commercial cultivation of the Peter Pepper because it has always been grown as an ornamental. Papa Jeabert's was the first to grow Peter Peppers for commercial purposes. The first successful commercial field of Peter Peppers was grown by Papa Jeabert's under nursery shade cloth to protect the pepper plants from the sun.

Today the peppers are still grown under shade cloth, with the growing season lasting from late March through early October. A typical field might have 2,000 plants, set about 16 inches apart. Each Peter Pepper plant produces approximately 100 hot little peppers.

Everybody cooks in Phil Gremillion's hometown of Lafayette. In fact, the area is known for its good food and "joie de vivre" - love of life! With a bumper crop of Peter Peppers at his backdoor, Phil experimented with his own spice blend made from dried and crushed Peter Peppers. When he gave bottles of the blend to friends and relatives, they were immediately hooked on its delicious and different taste. Soon it was obvious that Phil had the seed of a hot business.

In 1995, the local press ran a story on this new business, describing Phil Gremillion as the man who tamed the hottest of the peppers.

Spice de Terre:
Spice de Terre is a completely natural, gourmet blend, containing Peter Peppers, onion, cayenne, lemon, papaya, green and red bell peppers, and only a tiny bit of salt. Perfect for all kinds of diets, the all new, certified Cajun spice blend has became a local success story.

In an interview, Gremillion said, "Working with Peter Peppers is very difficult. The pepper has an oil which is fiery hot, and touching the fresh pepper and then touching the skin can cause blistering. Crushing the dried Peter Peppers creates a fine, almost invisible, powder which burns the skin and can cause choking. I have to wear a gas mask and rubber gloves whenever I crush the Peter Peppers."

Behind the Name:
Despite the difficulty in growing and blending the Peter Peppers, Gremillion has created a whole new taste for Cajun cooks. And when it came time to give a name to this new spice company he didn't have to look very far for the right one. His son, Jeabert, is a lot like his dad - and the perfect choice for a business partner.

Enter Quantity Desired Click to Add to Cart
Per Pack -- Peter Pepper Seeds -- $5.00
Minimum of 2 packs

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7529706

I've grow them before and didn't find them to be "fiery" hot. They were definitely hot peppers, but not extraordinarily so. If you'll excuse the pun, I'm a big weenie when it comes to "hot" peppers, and these were edible for me.

And. of course, I had to grow them between the Ichiban Eggplant and the Teton's de Venus, to create a spectacle!
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7583854

Peters are up!! All of my colours are up so far (Planted sunday before last). They were up in about a week. I have them growing under HID lights. Now to keep them going. I also need to start taking pictures.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America