Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Caudiciforms: Wilfred's Desert Rose Chatters in February

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 154, Views: 745
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7517978

Hi, we've come here from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066620/

Happy February! New Moon on Valentine's day, make a romantic wish. May this month see the last of this nasty winter everyone is enduring. I see there are floods in Peru, earthquakes everywhere! but I've seen a prediction of March storms, boo. Blessed if you've been spared, and may things improve quickly if you're having troubles.

I am going to write to Spray-N-Grow to say they should have a warning that Desert Roses shouldn't have their product used against them. Oboy, do I ever have yellow leaves, waaaa!

OK, off and running in this new month. Desert Rosarians unite!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7517984

Good Morning all.
Got to go look at my DR babys .
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7517991

Wilfred, have you tried to make the Caudex into a shape that you want, twisted by your design, somehow?

I wish things were easier for you, I have a thought that you're working too hard!

I want to visit Puerto Rico in August to eat Durians. I found they grow there. The tree is sensitive to salt, so St Croix might be too harsh for them. Sad, Durian really is the best fruit of all. You MUST remember to be breathing out through your nose when you take a bite, haha.

OK, back to DR's, I will never ever grow any seeds except Wilfred's. No questionable foreign seeds for me. The big DR in the photo above is an older plant that was generously shared with me, and the little one looking up to the Ancient One is my largest seedling.

No, I haven't tried to pollinate, yet, I am the bull in the china shop.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7518024

How old do they have to be to transplant?
Mine are about 1" tall. The first ones. The little white one is
shrinking away, it's not growing like the green ones; poor baby.
I new at growing from seed so I have no idea about pollinating except, you need a paint brush.
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7518068

The white one is Albino, no chlorophyl, and cannot make it's own food, so It will die, so sorry. I'll try again with seeds, and I hope to get a white one, and graft it! haha, microscopic grafting! for me anyway, I'll get out my close-up glasses.

If they have a few leaves you can probably pot them up OK. Just remember they start with one threadlike root that's rather long, several times the length of the seedling. Seems to be brittle, too. If you can, dig a hole beside the seedling, and go from there.

Wilfred, WQP, wrote wonderful directions about pollinating, go to that thread and read,

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010662/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7518099

We can do that. One problem, you have to have them blooming.
Once in awhile I get lucky. Til then I'll just enjoy my plant. ☺
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 1, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7518145

Charleen, most threads recommend transplanting into pots when they have 4 leafs, I do it with two leafs and have had no problem, but I guess safest bet is to wait for four leafs.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7518214

O.k. Once, they come up.
they grow pretty good, don't they?
Charleen
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7518506

Charleen, it depends on what you mean by "pretty Good" *S* they are slow, and when they are just starting they have very small roots, so easy to knock them over when you water them.
I have some that are 5 months old and less than 2 inches high.

Doris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7518522

Mine have not come up thick like Wilfred's but I have A few in each of the cups I planted/ I have three thare are standing like little soldiers in a row. Then I have one container, nothing in the center but all around the edges. Very perculiar little critters.
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7518549

We need to get you a camera, Charlene!!!
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 1, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7518620

I agree with Doris, they are slow slow slow, nothing will teach you patience like growing desert rose from seed. Jim

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7519170

Oh, you kids!!! ☺ I got a camera
. Let me show you my little soldiers.
It's not the camera , it was the camera holder.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7519178

Very cute Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7519632

They are so GREEN! I am pink with envy!

We don't mind odd photography, we all know taking pictures is either difficult or Impossible.

OK, thanks!

Mm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7519672

I am so glad you like them. Ain't they cute??
My weedle babies. If not for you all, I won't have them. Thanks
Love them and you all too...
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7519850

Don't use Spray-N-Grow! Waaaa.

It's absolutely wonderful for every other plant I've ever grown. But DRs are really different that any plant I've ever grown.

These were sprayed a week ago. Three in clay pots are 'store bought'. Them in the black pot are a lot happier, they're from Wilfred.

Thumbnail by Molamola

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7519862

Wonder if you can take the leaves off and new ones will grow back?
I think I would try it. Are you??
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7519891

Oh, I'm sure the plants will recover. In their own time!!

I'll let the leaves drop when they want to. New leaves will grow from the ends of the branches. Leaves do not replace themselves on DRs.

OK, just thought I'd "share". I am dismayed but not terribly excited. But, believe me, never again Spray-N-Grow on these plants! My veggies and other flowers, yes, but not these.

Spray-N-Grow is a mix of nearly 30 trace elements, Iron, copper, etc, and I don't have any idea why DRs hate it. Owell!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
12:28 AM

Post #7520193

Something is too hot" for them.
That's for sure.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 2, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7521639

Melissa, the black pot is plastic isn't it? I tried an experiment with mine, I put a few in plastic pots (seedlings) and the others in clay. Wilfred was right, it seems the plastic pots retained too much water and I lost them all. I will stick to clay from now on. Wilfred gives very good advice, but every now and again I like to see what happens if I don't follow his advice, he's always been correct. Jim

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7521649

Melissa, Jim you both have d-mails.
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7521912

Yes, I am pot poor! But those 4 in the one plastic pot didn't suffer near as much as the older three in the clay pots. I think I'm keeping those 3 too dry, also.

And the 4 in that one pot were sent by Wilfred, I sent him some cash to send me some little ones. All of a sudden I had a box full of babies!! I needed lots of pots! akkk! Sun + breeze dries them quickly.

Wilfred did comment "Too much fertilizer" when he saw the green/light green blotchy leaves a couple of months ago. I had no idea what it could be. Then I just barely happened to be reading a thread on the hibiscus forum, and the fellow said, "Desert Roses HATE Spray-N-Grow" wowee, I'd just given all mine a good soaking spray down. Booo. That stuff works miracles on other plants, I won't be without it.

So, sigh, I need about twenty pots, $$$. What can I make my own out of for .50 cents each?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7522449

20 oz. soda drink bottles might do the job in a piinch.
You think?
Charleen
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 2, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7522664

Melissa, I think 3"pots are even less then 50cents at home depot if you have one in the area!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7522738

lol, no home depot. Pots start at $4 here...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7523028

Jim, did you answer Charleen's request?

I said no.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7523364

Do you all have a dollar store??
I got 3 pk pkg. for a dollar.
Charleen
Mooshkadoo
Palmetto Point
Bahamas

February 2, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7523379

Molamola, have you tried Styrofoam cups as pots for the smaller ones? Yes, we all hate Styrofoam -- awful for the environment -- but those of us on islands have to do what we can. I've also used plastic butter tubs, piercing the bottoms with an ice pick or something else that sharp. If anyone else has ideas for clay or plastic pot substitutes for those of us without stores handy, let us know. I'm putting one DR seedling in each Stryrofoam cup until they're too big for that and ready for a larger pot.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 2, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7523582

I looked and didn't have an D-Mail from Charleen! I did have one from the other day that I read talking about my pitcher plant but thats all, Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 2, 2010
11:15 PM

Post #7523594

Yes, hum, I was looking at plastic containers the other day. Plastic flower pots are wayyyyyyyyy over priced in comparison!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7523734

Molamola, I use reg. plastic cups or styrofoam ones all the time for seeds and starting Brugmansia plants, they are easy to cut away when you are ready to pot them up, actualy you can leave them in the cups for quite awhile befor transplanting.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7523935

Yes, but they fall/blow over for me! wa! But I do use them some.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7524127

Great threads on D.Roses...these little beauties are probably the only plant that the wallabies and possums don't eat here...I have literally hundreds just starting up around the place all different sizes and different colours...just planted some seeds from thailand,hope they are what they were described or similar!!!!!!

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
1:59 AM

Post #7524131

planted seeds staright out in our summer sun...

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7524133

when the pods open,they seed there and then, in our humid climate...

Thumbnail by MyaC

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7524236

Molamola, since DR have such short roots half fill the cup with gravel or rocks to keep them upright.

Doris
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2010
2:49 AM

Post #7524260

Some of my seedlings aren't looking so good now. :( The caudex is flat and soft. I'm thinking maybe I'm not watering enough or could they be over-watered. The soil was very dry. Could they need water if they look flat? It's bizarre. Others are receiving the same water and light and look great. I hope I don't lose these. The leaves on all of them look good, even the flat ones.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7525020

Say, I have that same problem, echin! I'm beginning to believe these plants, DRs are extremely individualistic. What's good for one is bad for the next one! Akkkk!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
11:52 AM

Post #7525021

So, if dry is too dry for some, water more? But don't water more for the dry ones that are OK??
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 3, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7525359

MyaC, great pictures of your DR, I'm curious as to how old are the seedlings in the second post? Melissa, I have the same problem but only in the seedlings I put in a "plastic"pot, I've come to the conclusion that while it may look very dry on the surface, it must be soggy deeper down. Maybe I ought to up end one and see if that a factor! And it is strange how seeds from the same pod grow differently, some tall and skinny, some developing a bit of a caudex right away, and some just seem to be hanging on for dear life, yet, all are treated the same. Yea, they sure teach me patience, and also make me experience frustration. Jim (hey, why did you stop writing your name after your posts? Wilfred taught you better LOL ^_^
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7525427

If you get a packet of any kind of seeds, they will not all be exactly alike, will they? Some more vigorous, and maybe even a mutant.

But DRs seem to be even more variable, as 'older' plants. I don't mean the guys that'r five years and more. Just the babies.

Mya, is that a Wallabie in your first photo? A cutie!

MELISSA! (lol)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7525480

Beautiful Pictures.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7526989

[quote]MyaC, great pictures of your DR, I'm curious as to how old are the seedlings in the second post?[/quote]

Hi Jim:The rains started about 3 weeks ago,so they must be coming along to about a month now...I always presoak my seeds that I get from Thailand for 24 hours and they seem to germinate within a day.The bigger DR that have pods on ,I just allow the seeds to float and they seem to germinate where ever they land,although this only happens in our wet season.

[quote]Mya, is that a Wallabie in your first photo? A cutie! [/quote]

Hi Melissa: That's a fake possum,the real possums eat all my Brugmansias and anything else that isn't netted BUT they leave my DR alone,even the seedlings...go figure!!!!!!
Cheers All Mya
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7528259

One month! Wow, I wonder if it's your soil or the weather? Mine are about that big after three months. Oh forget my question on the other thread, now I know they are from Thailand. You must not have black birds there, I had a whole tray eaten by black birds the day after they sprouted, I've since learned to cover them when I take them out in the direct sun, so far I haven't lost any to birds. Have you heard from Wilfred lately? Jim
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7528261

I'm pretty sure that Wilfred doesn't soak his seeds, but it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it. I think maybe next time I'm going to try that, at least with a few seeds. One day to germinate! Fantastic! Mine take a week to fifteen days, I gotta try your method. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7528273

When I was in grade school we had a project to see how many hours would be the best to soak seeds for sprouting/growing, it was four hours. That is enough to get the seed all the way soaked, any longer and they go on toward drowning. I read some place to soak DR seed two hours.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7528280

Melissa,(is that you^_^) So, your saying you soak your desert rose seeds? Jim Oh, and good morning!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7528285

Good Morning, Jim, From Melissa, :)

I followed Wilfred's directons, but the weather here didn't, they got well watered every day in short heavy rain showers that came by on sunny days.

So maybe the DRs that I have are swamp DRs!

I might soak for two hours the next time I try some seeds. And I will make a little glass roof for the pot!!!

I haven't asked for seeds, and I still need to fiddle with the seedlings he grew and sent me, get the last few into their own pots. I am an early bird and my nursery doesn't open until 10 am. I am usually off doing something else by then.

Thumbnail by Molamola

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
1:27 PM

Post #7528422

Jim I am like you, I never soaked my seeds and they took at least 8 to 10 days or not at all, so the next ones I get (if I get any more) I will soak them at least a couple of hours, I also came across an article when I was checking the Web that some people plant the seeds standing up, not layin down, may try a few that way also.
I wish they grew a little faster, mine have hardly grown at all, but they are healthy.

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7528446

Doris, I have great hope for some of my "dark knights" they seem to be doing exceptionally well, time will tell. Melissa, if that one you posted is an example of your swamped ones, I wish mine were swamped, it looks very healthy and strong. I have clear plastic domes for my seedlings that came with the trays I bought long ago, it was a good investment as I use them over and over again, finding a place for them when not in use is another matter, my front porch looks like a hobo camp with all the pots domes and litter. Neighbors come to sit and chat and have to move stuff around and make snide remarks about the why of my obsession with desert rose. On the other hand, they don't hesitate to ask me for some AFTER I get them to a certain height.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7528471

Jim, I am so happy your's are doing good, someof mine are also, and I am hoping to see, when they bloom if they are the same, and if I got what I paid for, but as long as they get to bloom I will be happy.
I purchased five 'special' seeds from Cal. last week, they haven't arrived yet, it's called Mohasimbat, it's supposed to be a double.

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7528495

Doris, is it your intention to keep them in pots? Or do you see yourself ever planting them in the ground? I have one side of my drive way lined with D.R. that I bought, I'd like to do the other side with ones I've started with seeds, but it takes sooooo long to get them to an acceptable height. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7528516

Hobo Camp Jim, that's your new name! LOL

The most recent photo is from a big DR that I have. No babies blooming yest, erghh.

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7528533

OK, I can accept hobo camp if you will accept "no name Melissa" ^_^, oh gotta run and pick up the kid from work. "Jim".
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7529177

Jim no way can I put mine in the ground as I would have to dig them up in the fall it gets to cold in my zone, I will keep the nice healthy ones in pots, some I will give away.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7529580

Funny, eh, Doris? He didn't look at your location.

Melissa

Oh, everybody, there might be a format change here before too long, just to warn you.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7529777

Hey what's your name^_^ want to give us a hint as to what kind of change to expect? I hope it's for the better but I don't see how or what needs improvement, I HATE CHANGE. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7529796

I have asked Michael, the much besieged new owner-guy to suggest a forum that's using his "vForum" system. I'll let you know when he does.

Few hate change more that I. I cannot go back to many places that I've loved because they've been bulldozed and buried under shopping malls and such.

Boy, the Montserrat Volcano dust is thick here today. nasty stuff.

Whowho
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
8:33 PM

Post #7529832

Goodness, Top Tropicals has a nice lot of Desert Rose photos, but none in stock!

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=adenium_sp
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7529871

OK, here's what a post looks like in the "vForums" style. (That's not the name, but it's something like that, vSomething)--

http://files.vbulletin.com/images/cart/screenshots/vertical.png

And here's what the forum page would look like---

http://files.vbulletin.com/images/cart/screenshots/CMS_home.png

Some clutter, but OK. You just have to do a little squinting at the pages at first to get used to them. My Guppy fish forum uses this style.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 4, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7529968

Oh Boy, "a little squinting", that's a bit of an understatement, I'll have to get to the dollar store to get stronger reading glasses. I prefer it the way it is, but I know I don't count. Guess all I can do is wait and see (no pun intended) Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7529990

Hum, someone suggested a cruise ship site, and I find it is real bad, ouch, I won't link that one, it might not be correct. But maybe a subscription would be gentler on us.

O-W's-H-N
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7535268

If you haven't seen this site yet it's well worth reading, you find out that DRs need more water than you think, as they are not true dessert flowers,

http://www.adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

Jim you may not be giving too much water. *S* did you get new glasses.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 6, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7535470

Wow! Thanks, Doris!

They are succulents, not cactus, hey?

Some amazing photos on that site, I am still reading...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 6, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7535513

Aha, the article says a balanced fertilizer, 10-10-10 sort of numbers...
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7535548

I always use Miracle Grow in a weak mix. for all my plants seems to work OK, but I have been keeping my seedlings (DR) on the dry side so maybe need more water.

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 6, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7536102

Wow Doris, that's unbelievable! He says fig 2 is a "cutting", did you notice the caudex on it? I put it in favorite places and will refer to it again and again. Oh, I cam up blank when I googled "Ball Mix", Coir I have already, and know where to get what ever else he talks about. But Doris, he did mention over watering at a particular time can cause root rot. I just find it difficult to believe he gets that kind of growth in such a short time. Jim
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 6, 2010
9:26 PM

Post #7536199

I forgot to tell ol what's her name that it's 20-20-20^_^, now who needs new glasses? JIM
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #7536241

I think the overwatering he refered too is while they are dormant.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 6, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7536491

I'm not sure mine ever go dormant! Maybe for a week or two in Jan, but I don't water them then anyway. I was very interested in his claiming they should be re-potted often. I'm not sure if mine are ready to come out of the three in pots yet, they are sooo small, but who knows maybe the 3'pots are the problem huh?
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2010
11:28 PM

Post #7536599

How often does he say they should be repotted?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 6, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7536614

Fickle plants, hey?
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 7, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7537913

He simply says they should be re potted "frequently" until they reach the desired height! But he also says over potting (which I assume means too large a pot) is the main cause of root rot. Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010

Post #7538032

In my opinion I think the 'repotting often 'is in reference to getting a large plant,and allowing the roots to come up more each time, I will need to read his advice often to know exactly what he means, I have not repotted my two main plants since I got them, over 4 years ago, but I realy need to do that after they are out of dormancy as they are getting to big for their pots *S*

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 7, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7538384

Melissa, whats your understanding of re potting often? Jim
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 7, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7538727

I put mine into a pretty tight fitting pot as I read somewhere it was better for them regarding getting too much water. Now I wonder.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 7, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7538931

i wouldn't repot more than once a year.

Or maybe twice if you believed it necessary... like for a smaller plant that's growing quickly.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 7, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7539169

None of mine grow what I would call Quickly, I guess I will just wait and see how crowded they look in the 3"pots, I think common sense will tell me when it's time to replant. I do agree with him saying not to use too big a pot, I've learned from experience (the best way to learn) that it is difficult to control watering in too large a pot and I did end up with root rot.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7539242

For me I like the short, larger, bowl type that gives the roots room to spread, that is after they get large enough to put in a pot by themselves.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 7, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7539317

I think the thing to do is to let them get fairly dry, but not completely dry while they're full of leaves and growing and hopefully blooming.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 7, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7539338

The plant that Wilfred sent me with the three pods on it lost all it's leafs, it's still in the plastic pot that he sent it to me in, I noticed this morning that it has new buds forming. I had just about given up hope, now I think I will wait till it looks a bit healthier and re pot it in a clay pot. He said that this particular plant has produced a lot of pods for him. I just want to get one darned pod so I can claim to know how to do it. After that I will move on to another plant, but still tend my baby's till they mature a bit. Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 7, 2010
9:30 PM

Post #7539346

LOL. I've read that some set seed easily, and some don't. And I've read that some go dormant, and some don't.

Howzat?

O-W's-H-N
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 7, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #7539395

Way back when----My original question was how do you tell a male from a female plant, now, after reading that guys article I still would like to get an answer, according to him they are male and female, so I can't just go willy nilly trying to breed females to females or males to males. At least I have something to blame my in-effectiveness at pollinating on ^_^ Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7539670

hahaha Jim, I have come to the conclusion that they can be both, no way to tell which is which, maybe
Molamol has some idea's

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 7, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7539706

Papayas have male and female, but DRs don't. I think it's a matter of genes, some are fickle and contrary, and some are just naturally gregarious.

The Asians talk about some varieties being better pollinators, and some that never produce seeds when used as pollinators. And some that are so-so.

Just different strokes, not different sexes.

??? Never know about them Asians...

Ole What's Her Name
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 8, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7540583

Odd posts here. Plants do crazy things when it comes to sexual reproduction. It does truely depend on the species and I supose the variety maybe. Some plants are either male or female and produce such flowers. Some plants produce male and female flowers on the same plant and many plants produce flowers with both male and female (egg and sperm). Given how the posting went about producing seeds, I think you can take the pollen (sperm) from one flower on the plant and put it onto the stigma (female receptor) on the same plant. They make perfect flowers, both male and female. I am not sure what it is about them that makes pollination difficult on the same plant. I would need to read or take a closer look at their flowers to see why they don't self pollinate easily. I suspect they do to some extent though. Or, am I just really tired and this is not what these posts were about at all. Maybe it's the margarittas at the super bowl party. If so appologies in advance.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7540867

C, Newton's, Desert Roses are weird plants. The more I learn about them, the weirder they seem.

The plants do have perfect flowers, but need a specific sort of pollinator (named Wilfred) not unlike Vanilla and other plants. My honey bees go down into other flowers that are shaped almost the same, see from a distance, but they don't go into DR blooms. One lady in Ohio or someplace commented that her potted DRs that she sets outside for the summer set seed, she has a pollinator insect! No idea what it could be, and I didn't write down her name.

Some DRs have more viable pollen. The Asians will keep one kind, or one plant, to use to pollinate all their "mama" plants. They say in their catalogues if a plant will be a good pollinator for other DRs, or if it won't set seed.

There seems to be more variation in this plant group, I'm thinking because they're not cactus, and not really succulents, either. The leaves are thin and leathery. I just read that they're a tropical plant that managed to adapt to a changing environment, they can tolerate dryness, but actually enjoy moisture. That article says, for maximum size, grow them using hibiscus culture for the first two or more years!

I've read someone comment that they are being madly propagated by the thousands in Florida. If you look at nurseries that carry them, they're chronically out. of stock.

There's one in a yard here that blooms in flushes constantly, it looks like an azalea!

In pots, a main problem seems to be the bottom inch or so that retains too much moisture, causing poor air circulation and rot.

OK, I'm going out to check on my DRs! see you-all again soon,

Melissa, aka Molamola, aka coconut
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 8, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7540890

Newtons3rd, your on the right track, I asked the question again only because the article some one posted above again mentioned male and female desert roses! Last year when I first got hooked on them I asked then how to tell the difference, after awhile it seemed that it didn't matter. Now again after reading that article it seems that if I could tell the difference I'd stand a better chance at hand pollinating. I knew from growing papaya that it does make a difference (You must have a male and a female tree) Since Wilfred sent me a plant that had three pods on it, I can assume the plant is a female, he also said it had produced many pods for him, so my intention is to try and keep that one and pollinate it with some or all of my others which I presume are males since I have no success getting them to produce pods. Maybe I should just import some oleander moths and let them do the job for me^_^ Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7540945

OK, here's a quote for you---

"Dormancy is often signalled by a sudden yellowing and dropping of most or all of the leaves. Some weeks before this occurs you may notice a significant decline in water consumption."

Umm, how do I notice a decline in water consumption!???

"Groan", Melissa
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7541104

Maybe the water stays in the soil longer,
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 8, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7541182

I think it will burp if it gets too much water^_^ Jim
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7541187

Well, yes, but how do you tell? I guess by one of those moisture gizmos?

More technology that I have to buy, hey?

Melissa
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7541380

I think my plants were looking bad because I didn't water them enough. They look better since I watered them good. I think I have my soil drainage a little too good!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

February 8, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7541868

My point was they are not seperate male and female plants. Their flowers appear to be "perfect" to me which means they have both male and female structures. Once again plants do it all. Some can be pollinated by a flower on the same plant, some cannot. I am going to give this a try with the desert rose. I suspect they can if you can do as W does and act like a pollinator. I also read that through lots of selective breeding, some varieties are not very seed producing. Who would have thought I would be thinking about sexual reproduction in plants today! All this depends on the species in question and there seems to be some doubt as to exactly how these plants "do it" LOL. Take care all its back to teaching biology today and oddly enough we are starting photosynthesis tomorrow. ( :
C
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7541985

Hellooooo to every one! I have to LOL sometimes with you all, always trying to figure out what DRs are and how they work, just enjoy them for what they are.

One question. What is the name of the biggest pot a DR can be planted in? I'll give you a hint, its the one that has many plants types planted in it. Will give answer latter if no one knows.

DR are like any other plant or living thing, some are fertile and some are sterile, same as humans. some need hardly any help in pollinating them , some need a little more help to pollinate and some no matter what you do won't pollinate at all, it all has to do with the plants genetic structure. I've have pollinated lots of DR through the years and notice that some will produce pods with up to 75 or more seeds in them and other with only one or two seeds in them, usually the prettier one are the ones that produce less seeds. that's why they graft them on to year old seedlings.

What you use as potting soil is what makes the difference in how much you water your DRs since some potting mix tend to dry out faster than others and the pot you use also influence in how fast the mix dry out also, I prefer the clay pot since they help the soil mix to dry out evenly top and bottom almost at the same rate. its better to have a soil that dries faster than one that takes to long to dry out.

Sudden change in weather or amount of sunlight can cause leaves to turn yellow and fall off, even though I live in the tropics, I've been experiencing lots of temp. changes in the past few moths, one day 85*F and the next day 65*F than again goes up 75*F than back down to 60* and than back up to 90*F, weather has been a real mess this year over here and my DRs are having a hard time copping with it, some have lost lots of leaves while others haven't, seems like some are more resistant then others.

You can repot a DR as soon as they have germinated in fact that's when you least do damage to the root since its so small at that time, just have to make a small little hole in the potting mix and place it in gently, remember only to put the roots in the hole and not the plant itself.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7542069

Whoa, that's a beauty! Nice to hear from you, Wilfred.

Yes, everyone's sure excited about these plants, hey?

The Dave of Dave's Garden has left. The website was sold, like businesses get sold, and he was out of work. Or, like me, Wilfred, did you know there's a Real Dave, unlike the Mrs. Smith of Mrs. Smith's Pies? I have been yakking here for a year or two, not knowing that there is a real Dave.

This Dave's Garden might change some, but it won't stop.

So, we'd like to see you on this other place, but it's OK if you just stay here. I'm not leaving here.

Nice to see you! We miss you when you don't post seven or eight times every day!
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7542191

Melisa I'll send you and Jim an D-mail soon with a private e-mail I use sometimes, it belongs to a friend but I use it, for some reason mine is having some trouble right now, I might have to create a new one if I can't fix it.

Would like to know why Dave sold his site in the first place to these money hungry companies who only think about money and what they can get out of it. If I had a sit like this one there wouldn't be sold to no one or company for any amount of money, to bad I don't know how to make one and to bad Dave sold his as he thought of every thing that people like and its easy to use.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7542240

Well, from what I understand, Dave sold the site three years ago, but was able to write in the contract that he'd keep control. So we know nothing about that sale.

The new owners had resources to be able to better run a big website. We have no idea how much work goes into a big and busy website like this one. I'm sure Dave got a some cash (he has a lot of children, they're expensive!) plus a salary. I do not know this, but I figure it's true. I don't blame him at all.

But the company sold this site to a bigger company, and didn't tell him, nor did they tell the new company anything about keeping Dave. Dave tried to negotiate, but wasn't satisfied, so he is now just a member like we are.

I hope his new place is successful, and he's said he will never sell it! The hollering and squalking has been ferocious, on the forum here where they've been discussing all this. Well over a thousand posts in just a few days.

So, the one thing you can count on in Life is changes.

Enjoy yourself, ----and oh! I really like the pale, pale pink. I almost bought one here, but I didn't as I have plenty DRs now, or do I? They're as bad as orchids! "One is too many, and 1,000 is not enough?

Melissa

Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 8, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7542355

Isn't it great to hear from W again? I should have read this post b-4 I posted on the other site. Now he should have two invites huh? Jim,
Oooh, I noticed you put your name after the post huh, afraid Wilfred will jump on you right.,^_^

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7542541

Maybe, he has three????
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 8, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7542783

My name is Melissa, on my birth certificate.

LOL

Thumbnail by Molamola

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
11:23 PM

Post #7542874

Love that iguana, I used to have one. I loved her. she got pretty good size.
That one is going up after the fruit in that tree. I Thank you. It's beautiful.
Charleen
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 8, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7542912

I'm told they are very tasty^_^ Jim

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
11:43 PM

Post #7542929

Jim, you want to eat that iguana. They carry Salmonella.
You have to wash up after you handle them. But they sure are interesting creatures.
you should have seen my Baby eat Watermelon, she loved it.
Charleen
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 9, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7543051

They eat not only watermelon, but every flower in a garden, they are not much appreciated here in S.Florida, our last cold spell seems to have killed off most of them, now dogs are getting sick and dieing because they find and chew on the dead ones laying around. Oh, but I think your talking about a "Pet" right? Just please, after it gets large and snaps, don't release it in Florida.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #7543081

They are wild here. There were two in the ratty old orange tree, the bigger one chased the smaller one away. They're amazingly agile! I want a screen house for my vegetable garden... I read they can live to be 65 years old!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
12:49 AM

Post #7543121

I gave mine to my nephew, she has since died, but I sure wouldn't let her go. The reason I knew mine was a female, she had laid eggs. Talk about surprize-I was. they must be like chickens, They don't need a rooster to lay eggs. I saw the You-tube of the poor old iguanas falling out of the trees. That is what they were doing, climbing to eat oranges.
When she ate watermelon, it was so funny. She chomped into that watermelon and had the juices running down her chin. She nearly needed a bib. It was funny. I bet they could dig into a screen house with the toe-nails ,they got.
Charleen
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 9, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7544112

Good morning all, we here in S.Florida are going to get another cold snap, going down to 38 tonight and continued cold for the week. I have to bring all my D.R. inside as well as my pitcher plant, it's a chore, and I just know some one will knock over a tray or two of potted plants. I'm considering deep watering the stuff in the ground, it seems to have helped last time. Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
1:21 PM

Post #7544223

Jim your lucky, we had 3" of snow on the ground Sat, now we have another 5" and it is still snowing, this is when I am glad ALL my plants are in the house.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7544531

What a winter! That's why I don't live in Florida, tho I like the state.

OOPS! >>> Melissa.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 11:19 AM
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7545155

OK Now, I just got 5 new seeds from Cal. and the directions for planting said to place seeds in a wet paper towel, folded over for at least two hours, pour water over the soil, let drain well, plant the seed and cover lightly, so that is what I am doing with these seeds, these are Siam Violet.

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 9, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7545502

Doris, I find that the "cover lightly" was always my problem. No deeper then the depth of the seed it's self. The only potting soil I could find that wasn't already wet or damp was at Home Depot, they had it on the back of the rack where they had the seeds, it's really dry and very fine;using that was the first time I had success. The soil that I laid the seed in I pre soaked and that worked for me. Aren't some of the ones you sent me Siam Violet? Jim
Mooshkadoo
Palmetto Point
Bahamas

February 9, 2010
10:03 PM

Post #7545572

Like Wilfred, I find that my DR plants are very sensitive to changes in temperature. When we had a cold snap here in the Bahamas right after Christmas, almost all the leaves on my DR's turned yellow and started dropping off. I was afraid they had been permanently harmed. But now, little over a month later, they are blooming like crazy. I'd send pix but I've lost the SD card for my camera.

Kay (so I don't get in trouble with the posting police)
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 9, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7545671

Mooshkadoo, don't think I've seen you here B-4, welcome. No posting cops here ^_^, all good folks who just like to see pictures of our progress (or lack thereof) Jim
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7545723

Melissa great link,thanks for showing it to us,I knew I was doing the right thing by watering my DR twice a day...
This is my Optimizer seedling, flowering only after 8 months,fab colour...
Mya

Thumbnail by MyaC

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7546003

Jim your right some seeds I sent you are Siam Violet, only two of mine from that order came up so I ordered 5 more seeds.

Doris
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7546203

What might be perfect for one person may not be for another, beautiful DRs you have Mya. your soil mix looks more sandy and loose which means it doesn't hold water for to long so watering them twice a day would be good for you but for a person who has a soil mix type that retains too much moisture that would be deadly for their DRs, and temperature plays a big roll also, warmer weather, more water and colder weather less water. Seems you have the perfect soil mix and weather for your DRs to be able to water them twice a day.
Oh, BTW Mya, you ask me if I pre-soak my DR seeds before planting them, the answer is no, never would do that since one can lose the seeds to rot before they had a chance to germinate, I tried it once and that's what happen, seeds were too wet before they had a chance to root, DR seeds are not like many other types of seeds as the shell absorb water very fast and hold it like a sponge and that's why I only water them the one time when I plant them and mist the top if it get to dry after that.

Kay, I was wondering what happen with you since the last time, also I was wondering did any of the cutting I gave you survive the trip to your home in the Bahamas, and did you finally get the neem oil you needed for your hibs, let me know what results you got out of using it on them.

Ronald, I'll be sending you some more DR seeds by tomorrow, seems you had the same problem as the others I sent seeds to the same day, I won't give up on you germinating some DRs as Jim did, it just takes a little time to master it. As I said before, this is a learning process, not all get it the first time they try, in a matter of fact it took me several tries before I got it right.

Lori, same as Ronald, I will be sending you more seeds tomorrow, I will keep trying to help you till you get it right also.

Charleen, have to say I'm with Jim on the iguana subject, would like to see them gone from the island also, they have become a really really bad problem for our agriculture here, they seem to eat every thing we plant here, we have the by the hundred thousands here. and each one lays around 60 eggs or more a year, I would send them all back to Panama were they have their natural predator, the native who eat them, they call them tree chickens as that's what they say it taste like, BTW, they stink worse then dead rats when they die and start to discompose.

Jim and Melissa, have to thank you both for encouraging the rest of my friends on not giving up and for the info you share with the rest of use, you both have come a long way since last August 2009 when I first meet you both on my first thread I posted on this forum by chance on the 4th of July 2009 when some one from the hibiscus forum whose name is Dave ask me to after I explain to him on how to get seed pods from the DRs. plants.

Doris and Jennifer were the first two person I sent an D-mail On this forum, BTW, Doris did the seeds I sent you germinate for you. and how about you Jennifer, did you have any luck germinating them.

To those who wright there name after each post, thank you very much since it make it easier for me when directing an answer or note to them when I read the post they right,

Take Care To All, Till Later,
Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7546338

Hi, Wilfred, nice to hear from you!

Mya, eight months to all those flowers?? wow!

Melissa
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 10, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7547140

Good morning all, Wilfred It's great to see you back. I can't help but wonder how many seed pods you have? You've given so many and are still at it, your a wonder. Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010

Post #7547317

Good morning Wilfred, sorry to say I did not have any luck with the seeds you sent, I am conviced it is because of the time it takes from the seed pod to the actual planting of the seed, or maybe the change of climate while it is traveling, I only planted 6 of my own seeds and 4 of them popped up, although I did have 15 seeds from Thialand,some I sent to Jim, and some of those are doing good,they were wrapped in bubble wrap and a padded envelope so that may have helped, I will keep trying because now they have become a challenge *S*

Doris
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7547492

Glad to see you back Wilfred!

I soaked my seeds before planting the first time, but just planted them the second time. My first seeds rotted, so maybe soaking isn't a good idea. If I soaked again, I would use dilute hydrogen peroxide. Although I am new at this and not very successful, so who knows.

ridesredmule, your seedlings are cute. Hope they keep growing.

I am perpetually short of pots and use anything that holds dirt during seed sowing season. I spent time in Puerto Rico for work. I understand how difficult it can be to find things on an island. Maybe you can find concrete planters? Or try making your own hypertufa/papercrete/concrete pots? I remember that concrete is pretty common for construction, especially in PR. You may have to be careful with salts/chemicals leaching from the concrete. You could seal them, but then they wouldn't be porous anymore. I remember a restaurant that had placed cinder blocks sideways, painted them white and planted flowers in them. It was so pretty, I was surprised to find out it was cinder blocks.

Lori aka Andi aka Woof...to the dog who wants to go out and play in the snow again
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7547589

Hi to all, Jim I only have 32 pods left on my plants, had more than 75 pods at one time though, I just pick from the plants 7 pods yesterday before yesterday which produced 370 seeds between them and I already mailed 100 of them to a friend and going to mail 200 more today to two more friend today and still have 70 seeds left and I pick two more pods today. so imagine how many seeds I've have picked from my plants in the last 6 month and given out, I would say more than 2,000 seeds. I'm planing to give the plants a rest of producing seed after they finish what they have on them so after these are gone there won't be seeds for a while.

Doris I'll send you some more seeds from the plant you wanted when it get more pods on it, for some reason the two seed pods it had didn't produce seeds in them and fell off before time, will pollinate it again for you to see if it produces seeds, another one I have produce two seeds from a big seed pod and the two seeds didn't look good at all, I planted them anyway but don't think they will germinate. seems these plant produce less seeds than the others do.

Your Friend Wilfred

BTW, just to let you know I didn't sleep Monday after I came from work at 4:00am since I had to take my boy to school and when I came back just kept working in the patio until it was time to pick him up again from school at 2:00pm, came home again and kept working in the patio until 1:30am since I was off yesterday ( Tuesday ) and got up today ( Wednesday ) at 8:00am with a cold and one heck off a headache, seems I abused my immune system a little, I just hope I recover fast from it since I still have a lot to do around here. Have to get ready at 12:00n to leave at 1:00pm to get my boy at school to take him to his grandma's house and from there to I go to my job until 4:00am tomorrow. still have an hour to work in the patio, till later.

Thumbnail by WQP

WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7547629

Lori , We have no problems getting clay pots here in Puerto Rico, its Melissa who's having problem getting cheap clay pot in St. Croix and I think Kay who lives in the Bahamas too. We much can get anything like any of the states now even though more costly because of the shipping over seas.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 10, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7547682

Wilfred, you're working yourself into the ground! Please get more sleep and rest!

Will post tonight when I have more time, gotta run!

Mm
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7547700

Wilfred, are you talking to this Jennifer? If so then yes! I planted about 10 and have 7 that are going strong and are each about 4-6". I will post pictures when I get home : )
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7550820

I don't know why, but none of the photos enlarge when I click on them now. I thought paid members got to see the large photos!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7550848

echinaceamaniac, they are supposed to come up in the size the owner put in.sometimes they don't change but most of the time they do.
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7550864

Wilfred that would be great on the seeds, thank you.
This is a picture of 2 of the Silver Pearl seeds I planted last Monday, I planted 5, and there is another one peeking out, these were from Thialand and were larger than any other seeds I have had.
they are called Silver Pearl, be interesting to see how they bloom.

Thumbnail by kareoke

kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7550869

Now why didn't the picture show?
WQP
Carolina, PR
(Zone 11)

February 11, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7550905

Seems they are already changing something here, I'm having the same problem also with all the photos even the one's I posted, I thought it was my PC but after Clint posted having the same problem it seems to be Dave's Gardens new administration messing things up for us, way to go like always, money hungry companies finds something good and they figure out how to mess it up real fast in no time. If this keeps up this sight will no longer exist in no time. Hope Dave makes his new sight better than this one and as easy to use like this one was before the new owners started messing with it.

I just hope this is a temporary problem their having and not a stander.

Wilfred
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7550935

Thanks for the link!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 10:36 AM
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 11, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7550941

Wilfred, at first I hated the new site, took me about two week to learn how to navigate around it, now I find myself on that site way more then Dave's Garden, if you decide to go on, don't get frustrated, it's a great site. ^_^ Jim
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 11, 2010
4:18 PM

Post #7550956

If there is anything else I can help with just yell, either here or there^_^ Jim
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7551002

Thanks, Jim!
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7551205

Well I don't know whats going on, first time I have posted a picture and it didn't show, will have to think twice about renewing here

Doris
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 11, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7551299

Doris, there is always the Caudiciforms forum ^_^ Jim
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7551394

Hey look at that, the picture came up.

Doris
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 11, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7551424

Well, lemme try a photo---

One funny thing, Dave is a writing and words person. He said when he first started DG, he made one file and put ALL the photos in that file. What a total mess!!!

Picture of a sunset---

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 11, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7551457

And it enlarged when I clicked it.

Sometimes when the WebMaster is fiddling with something, the site goes wankers for an hour or two. I am SURE the new people want to keep this baby well and happy.

I wonder how much they paid for it? A LOT I bet!

Dave is trying now to build something much bigger and broader that only gardening.

I know you don't have any time now-a-days to just fiddlefaddle on a computer. I can show you in an hour what you need to know to be OK with posting, both hibiscus and desert roses, and whatever else.

Two big problems there is that there are no Plant Files, and no search engine, Dave doesn't know how to 'do' a search engine. That might be why he sold in the first place, as well as having four children.

OK, later!

Melissa

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7551565

It is a Beautiful Picture. I enlarged it too. Really beautiful, Melissa.
We miss you Wlfred. Who's going to help us plant Desert Rose seed Correctly.
Charleen
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 11, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7551753

LOL, Charleen, I don't know if his directions can be explained more. Or have you read that looonnnggg thread?

I'm finding changes here, such as on our personal profile, we can put in tag words. And there's a site link to buy Dave's Garden Tshirts and other stuff.

We should all chip in monies every week so Wilfred can quit his job and take care of our questions! lol Wish I was filthy rich, I'd hire him...

Mm
Mooshkadoo
Palmetto Point
Bahamas

February 11, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7552026

Hi, Wilfred, great to see you back. I wanted to thank you again for the seeds and the cuttings. Of all the cuttings, only the justicias seem to be living, and they have nice, tiny new green leaves. I have 4 babies from the DR seeds, so I'm trying to take very good care of them. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the cuttings, but it definitely wasn't your fault. I wanted to take photos to show you which of the justicias were thriving, but I apparently left my SD photo card in the States. I have my camera here but no way to take photos. I'm making another trip to the States in late March, so I'll retrieve the card then and hopefully will have significant new growth by the time I return.

Thanks again, Wilfred. You're so kind to help all of us.

Kay
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

February 12, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7553446

Hi, Wilfred. I just wanted to let you know that I just received my seeds. We may be having our blue moon snow this weekend, so it will be a perfect time to plant them (indoors, of course). I'm praying that I'm successful this time. Otherwise, I'd have to settle for seedlings. LOL. Thanks again. I'll send you a d-mail when I mail my package to you early next week.

Deborah
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7556391

I will keep coming here as long as they have the plant files. I think there is room on the internet for multiple garden sites. I do like the idea of the other site as well. Sites like this depend on the people. Some of my favorite people are on both sites! Others who left this site for personal reasons are on the other. I suspect many of us will be on both!

The bf is a computer database programmer. He complains about server reboots, batch processing, tech things, etc. I bet the problems are temporary as the company changes programming or moves things to other servers. The new company probably has a larger tech staff, maybe they will improve the tech side of things. Who knows.

I have another new seedling. They look very tiny and spindly, hope they aren't weeds.
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 13, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7556758

That's great D.G. I'm doing both sites also, wouldn't leave this one because this is where Wilfred is. Difficult to understand how you are able to get those seedling to germinate living where you do, and I had such a difficult time here in sunny Brrrr Florida. Good luck with them. Jim
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
12:09 AM

Post #7557078

They are not germinating well for me, yet. I am a novice. I have them in the south window with supplemental light on timers and a heating mat. I had spent time in Puerto Rico, Florida and other places for work. I fell in love with tropical plants and am trying to grow a few to "warm up" my garden/home here. With determination and luck, they survive the winters inside and thrive on the patio in summer.

It is quite cold and blustery here today as well.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 14, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7557522

Garden, umm?? Andi? There are banana plants that will survive where you are, if nurtured! Can't get much more tropical than a banana! Melissa
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7557581

I hadn't thought of growing a banana plant. I will have to learn more about them.
Mooshkadoo
Palmetto Point
Bahamas

February 14, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7558921

Hey, GardenQuilts, I've always wanted to learn how to make those planters you mentioned -- the ones with concrete, which, as someone else pointed is, is available on our island, while ready-made pots are not. Do you have the "recipe" for the pots or know how I could search for it?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7559081

Hate to barge in but I believe the forum has a Hyperturfa forum , You could check there to see if they make the pots you need.
Charleen

See if this helps
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hypertufa/all/

This message was edited Feb 14, 2010 4:31 PM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 14, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #7559284

Charleen, Barging does not exist here. Meaning you're quite welcome to join in the conversation.

Thanks for the link.

Melissa

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 3:53 AM
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2010
1:36 AM

Post #7559619

Hello Everyone. I was wondering if ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) is a Caudiciform. It can be raised somewhat out of the pot too. This is one of my favorite plants. It's so easy to grow. Any of you growing these?
Jimsned2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

February 15, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7560296

I'm not Clint, but I hope you post a picture of yours so we can see what one looks like Jim
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 11, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8963667

[quote="Molamola"]Don't use Spray-N-Grow! Waaaa.

It's absolutely wonderful for every other plant I've ever grown. But DRs are really different that any plant I've ever grown.

These were sprayed a week ago. Three in clay pots are 'store bought'. Them in the black pot are a lot happier, they're from Wilfred.[/quote]

I have only recently repotted mine. Probably did everything wrong, but it appears happy. Recently moved from Qld back to Vic, so the winter will be the tell all. I don't have luck with getting it to flower, but leaves are the right colour when they come through. I just use a liquid fertiliser Seasol made from seaweed - either by spray on leaves or water with it - but I use the same on all my plants. I am a plantaholic, and have a rang of plants, but not an expert in any way shape or form.

A lot I have had to resurrect, as when we arrived in early November, the pots arrived soggy and mouldy after three days in a truck with no light, and weeks in supposedly a shadehouse being taken care of!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America