Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Wilfred's Desert Rose Chatters in February

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Hi, we've come here from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066620/

Happy February! New Moon on Valentine's day, make a romantic wish. May this month see the last of this nasty winter everyone is enduring. I see there are floods in Peru, earthquakes everywhere! but I've seen a prediction of March storms, boo. Blessed if you've been spared, and may things improve quickly if you're having troubles.

I am going to write to Spray-N-Grow to say they should have a warning that Desert Roses shouldn't have their product used against them. Oboy, do I ever have yellow leaves, waaaa!

OK, off and running in this new month. Desert Rosarians unite!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Good Morning all.
Got to go look at my DR babys .
Charleen

Wilfred, have you tried to make the Caudex into a shape that you want, twisted by your design, somehow?

I wish things were easier for you, I have a thought that you're working too hard!

I want to visit Puerto Rico in August to eat Durians. I found they grow there. The tree is sensitive to salt, so St Croix might be too harsh for them. Sad, Durian really is the best fruit of all. You MUST remember to be breathing out through your nose when you take a bite, haha.

OK, back to DR's, I will never ever grow any seeds except Wilfred's. No questionable foreign seeds for me. The big DR in the photo above is an older plant that was generously shared with me, and the little one looking up to the Ancient One is my largest seedling.

No, I haven't tried to pollinate, yet, I am the bull in the china shop.

How old do they have to be to transplant?
Mine are about 1" tall. The first ones. The little white one is
shrinking away, it's not growing like the green ones; poor baby.
I new at growing from seed so I have no idea about pollinating except, you need a paint brush.
Charleen

The white one is Albino, no chlorophyl, and cannot make it's own food, so It will die, so sorry. I'll try again with seeds, and I hope to get a white one, and graft it! haha, microscopic grafting! for me anyway, I'll get out my close-up glasses.

If they have a few leaves you can probably pot them up OK. Just remember they start with one threadlike root that's rather long, several times the length of the seedling. Seems to be brittle, too. If you can, dig a hole beside the seedling, and go from there.

Wilfred, WQP, wrote wonderful directions about pollinating, go to that thread and read,

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010662/

We can do that. One problem, you have to have them blooming.
Once in awhile I get lucky. Til then I'll just enjoy my plant. ☺

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Charleen, most threads recommend transplanting into pots when they have 4 leafs, I do it with two leafs and have had no problem, but I guess safest bet is to wait for four leafs.

O.k. Once, they come up.
they grow pretty good, don't they?
Charleen

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Charleen, it depends on what you mean by "pretty Good" *S* they are slow, and when they are just starting they have very small roots, so easy to knock them over when you water them.
I have some that are 5 months old and less than 2 inches high.

Doris

Mine have not come up thick like Wilfred's but I have A few in each of the cups I planted/ I have three thare are standing like little soldiers in a row. Then I have one container, nothing in the center but all around the edges. Very perculiar little critters.
Charleen

We need to get you a camera, Charlene!!!

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I agree with Doris, they are slow slow slow, nothing will teach you patience like growing desert rose from seed. Jim

Oh, you kids!!! ☺ I got a camera
. Let me show you my little soldiers.
It's not the camera , it was the camera holder.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Very cute Charleen

They are so GREEN! I am pink with envy!

We don't mind odd photography, we all know taking pictures is either difficult or Impossible.

OK, thanks!

Mm

I am so glad you like them. Ain't they cute??
My weedle babies. If not for you all, I won't have them. Thanks
Love them and you all too....
Charleen

Don't use Spray-N-Grow! Waaaa.

It's absolutely wonderful for every other plant I've ever grown. But DRs are really different that any plant I've ever grown.

These were sprayed a week ago. Three in clay pots are 'store bought'. Them in the black pot are a lot happier, they're from Wilfred.

Thumbnail by Molamola

Wonder if you can take the leaves off and new ones will grow back?
I think I would try it. Are you??
Charleen

Oh, I'm sure the plants will recover. In their own time!!

I'll let the leaves drop when they want to. New leaves will grow from the ends of the branches. Leaves do not replace themselves on DRs.

OK, just thought I'd "share". I am dismayed but not terribly excited. But, believe me, never again Spray-N-Grow on these plants! My veggies and other flowers, yes, but not these.

Spray-N-Grow is a mix of nearly 30 trace elements, Iron, copper, etc, and I don't have any idea why DRs hate it. Owell!

Something is too hot" for them.
That's for sure.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Melissa, the black pot is plastic isn't it? I tried an experiment with mine, I put a few in plastic pots (seedlings) and the others in clay. Wilfred was right, it seems the plastic pots retained too much water and I lost them all. I will stick to clay from now on. Wilfred gives very good advice, but every now and again I like to see what happens if I don't follow his advice, he's always been correct. Jim

Melissa, Jim you both have d-mails.
Charleen

Yes, I am pot poor! But those 4 in the one plastic pot didn't suffer near as much as the older three in the clay pots. I think I'm keeping those 3 too dry, also.

And the 4 in that one pot were sent by Wilfred, I sent him some cash to send me some little ones. All of a sudden I had a box full of babies!! I needed lots of pots! akkk! Sun + breeze dries them quickly.

Wilfred did comment "Too much fertilizer" when he saw the green/light green blotchy leaves a couple of months ago. I had no idea what it could be. Then I just barely happened to be reading a thread on the hibiscus forum, and the fellow said, "Desert Roses HATE Spray-N-Grow" wowee, I'd just given all mine a good soaking spray down. Booo. That stuff works miracles on other plants, I won't be without it.

So, sigh, I need about twenty pots, $$$. What can I make my own out of for .50 cents each?

20 oz. soda drink bottles might do the job in a piinch.
You think?
Charleen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Melissa, I think 3"pots are even less then 50cents at home depot if you have one in the area!

lol, no home depot. Pots start at $4 here...

Jim, did you answer Charleen's request?

I said no.

Do you all have a dollar store??
I got 3 pk pkg. for a dollar.
Charleen

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Molamola, have you tried Styrofoam cups as pots for the smaller ones? Yes, we all hate Styrofoam -- awful for the environment -- but those of us on islands have to do what we can. I've also used plastic butter tubs, piercing the bottoms with an ice pick or something else that sharp. If anyone else has ideas for clay or plastic pot substitutes for those of us without stores handy, let us know. I'm putting one DR seedling in each Stryrofoam cup until they're too big for that and ready for a larger pot.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I looked and didn't have an D-Mail from Charleen! I did have one from the other day that I read talking about my pitcher plant but thats all, Jim

Yes, hum, I was looking at plastic containers the other day. Plastic flower pots are wayyyyyyyyy over priced in comparison!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Molamola, I use reg. plastic cups or styrofoam ones all the time for seeds and starting Brugmansia plants, they are easy to cut away when you are ready to pot them up, actualy you can leave them in the cups for quite awhile befor transplanting.

Doris

Yes, but they fall/blow over for me! wa! But I do use them some.

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Great threads on D.Roses....these little beauties are probably the only plant that the wallabies and possums don't eat here.....I have literally hundreds just starting up around the place all different sizes and different colours.....just planted some seeds from thailand,hope they are what they were described or similar!!!!!!

Thumbnail by MyaC

planted seeds staright out in our summer sun.......

Thumbnail by MyaC

when the pods open,they seed there and then, in our humid climate........

Thumbnail by MyaC
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Molamola, since DR have such short roots half fill the cup with gravel or rocks to keep them upright.

Doris

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Some of my seedlings aren't looking so good now. :( The caudex is flat and soft. I'm thinking maybe I'm not watering enough or could they be over-watered. The soil was very dry. Could they need water if they look flat? It's bizarre. Others are receiving the same water and light and look great. I hope I don't lose these. The leaves on all of them look good, even the flat ones.

Say, I have that same problem, echin! I'm beginning to believe these plants, DRs are extremely individualistic. What's good for one is bad for the next one! Akkkk!

So, if dry is too dry for some, water more? But don't water more for the dry ones that are OK??

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.