Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Introducing Bob, Master Gardener: use of term "Master Gardener"

Communities > Forums > Article: Introducing Bob, Master Gardener
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introducing Bob, Master GardenerReplies: 44, Views: 421
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Saddletree
Fayetteville, NC

February 1, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7518314

As a 10-year Certified Master Gardener Volunteer, I have a problem with anyone proclaiming themselves a Master Gardener. Those of us who have trained long and hard and devoted much time to our communities through Cooperative Extension in our states are prone to resent anyone using that title. It is especially difficult when it seems to have been used to poke fun. Love your site but this one misses the boat.
Sandy
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7518402

you should do your research before you speak.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7518427

I think poke fun IS the correct term.

He didn't Whack you w/ a Stick... ;-)

Though that might be the next cartoon... lol!
biskutmkr1947
Hubert, NC

February 1, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7518501

I am unable to call myself a 'Master Gardener' as I did not put in the requisite volunteer hours. My husband and I had a 'Mom and Pop' landscape company at the time I was attending classes and the rest of my time was necessary to procure money so that we could eat and pay bills. So, I called myself a 'Horticulturist' instead. Perhaps Saddletree may not be adverse to Bob using that term. There are plenty of self taught people who have an extensive knowledge of plants, etc. so if Bob wants to call himself a Master Gardener, more power to him. He's really funny, too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 1, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7518645

Good grief!! Where is the humor and fun? Gardening is FUN, and I love gardening humor. I am a Master Gardener, but I am also a CPA, CMA, CIA. And I love accounting jokes right along with everyone else. "What is more interesting, a bowl of cold mush or an accountant?" You got it. The mush. LOL. And I am a professional to the max. Thanks Bob for lightening my otherwise rather drudgy bleak (February in Alaska?!) morning. Garden on...
sheltiegardener
Fort Worth, TX

February 1, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7518909

Lighten up, Francis! It's a JOKE.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7518934

Thanks for making me laugh this Monday morning!!!
sampeter
Junction City, OR

February 1, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7518947

I agree lighten up! I went through Master Gardener training 20 years ago and put in more than my share of volunteer hours until 5 years ago when I was forced to cut back. I no longer volunteer nor do I pay dues so I am no longer a MG. Silly I think, I should always be a MG even if I don't pay dues and volunteer. They aught to change the rules and if through experience Bob wants to call himself a self proclaimed MG more power to him
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7519006

Bob, with your knowledge, you can call yourself anything you want.
gemstone1950
Kennewick, WA

February 1, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7519016

I'm a former Master Gardener and I resent NOT being able to use the 'title' just because I choose not to volunteer during working my working hours when THEY schedule the work parties. I wasn't allowed to go out on my own time to get in my hours. I keep more up to date on issues than the program does, but I can't call myself Master Gardener. Just like when your ID card expires, are you not the same person. AND I don't take offense to him calling himself a 'self proclaimed' Master Gardener. We are all masters at what we do best.
fourzoner
Lewiston, MI
(Zone 4b)

February 1, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7519051

Gardeners need thick skin. When persons are unduly impressed with my certification (now expired) of Master Gardener, I tell them all it means is that I paid the outrageous costs of classes and conferences and read the 5" thick textbook. As for the insignificant volunteer hours required, my time is better spent in my own garden to the pleasure of all who drive by to enjoy it. There is no need to be overly proud, nor awestruck by the term Master Gardener. I'm no more knowledgeable with the MG certification than someone who got their knowledge through the "school of hard knocks" of trial and error. The gardening knowledge gained is shared voluntarily with or without "certification" by a wonderful group of happy people simply called GARDENERS.
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7519054

We need to start our own MG classes on-line

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

February 1, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7519179

Bob is funny, and he's an expert gardener.

Shouldn't "Master Gardener"s be required to have a sense of humor?
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7519223

Loved it! Made my morning--- and yes, all gardeners have to have a sense of humor =)
Chiefengineer
MIssion Valley, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7519288

I took this piece to be a lampoon of anyone who
falsely pretends his or herself to be a master gardener:
someone out of control with herbicides
who doesn't even have sense to wear good gloves.
I would say this is in sympathy with the premise that
one should not take the "master-gardener" title lightly.

Nice artwork, too.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7519393

I could while away the hours
conferrin' with the flowers
consultin' with the rain

And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7519396

Love it! Especially the art work. You have a very real talent!

I've been a Master Gardener for 17 years, and a master gardener for a few days, here and there. The capitalized version is simply a title given to one who completes the course and puts in the required volunteer hours and continuing education hours. It really has nothing to do with mastery of the subject.

Nevertheless, I do enjoy having that title, and helping people out with their gardening concerns. And I am constantly learning...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7519434

Sandy, I think you've cured me of EVER wanting to join the ranks of these "Master Gardeners." Master-something, maybe.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7519448

That's too bad. It really is a great program, and I have developed so many friends, both inside the organization, and outside. I love it!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7519508

Yeah, but who wants to be part of a group where they care so much for the name & the credentials that they get bent out of shape over a bunch of cartoons?
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7519562

Did I get bent out of shape?
jazmom
(Maura) Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7519651

i could never, in a million years, call myself a master of MY garden. lol! if anything it would be the other way around! "servant of the garden" might be a more appropriate term! seriously though, the Master Gardener program is very worthwhile and commendable...a wonderful community resource! so to all you Master Gardeners out there...I thank you for all the help and information you have shared w/me over the years.

I will, however, be so bold as to call myself a "master yardener". i like the ring of that!
maura
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7519716

Great, let's start the self-proclaimed "Master Yardeners" club! I like the sound of that too and anyone can join who feels qualified or has a "Yard" which needs mastering! No tests required. Just love gardening in your yard. Prerequisite: sense of humor to deal with all that Mother Nature can hand you!! LOL
jazmom
(Maura) Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7519762

there you go! that's the spirit! "Master Yardeners" unite! and you're right...we have a 'yard' not a 'card' and as far as tests are concerned...we are tested daily...only the strong survive! just think...someday someone will draw cartoons about us! (legends in our own minds)
maura
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7520022

Maura, I want to be the model for the cartoons. I am SURE that Geoff will do me proud.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2010
1:12 AM

Post #7520338

Oh my gosh, does PalmBob have no limit to all his talents. He must never sleep!

I so identify with this one cartoon today because as I was taking pics of a huge cactus, some how I got a few of those fine little hardly can see stickers in my finger and being a master gardener myself today too, I promptly tried to bite them out only to now have them stuck in my mouth. HELP! OUCH!
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/40130/

Don't you love America? So entertaining. We can fight over everything and anything.

If PalmBob is not really a Master Gardener, he should be made an honorary one. Just all the PlantFile pictures he posts helps so many people all over the world ID and learn about so many plants. Not to mention all his articles. He oozes master gardening.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 5:14 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
1:27 AM

Post #7520381

Anyone who has a Cat knows who the true Masters of the Yard are...

Then Weeds...

Then Invasives...

Then Your S/O ...

So at best you are Master Yardener 5 times removed.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7520593

Oh, Garda & Jaz--- I don't have a Card, ...but I have a Yard!!, and it always needs 'mastering'!...I want to join and be a charter member of the "Master Yardeners"! We should be even funnier than the Master Gardeners!! =)
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7520745

I vote that Kell gets a Master Yardener's award for contributing the first "funny"! I really laughed over that one! We could start a list of what NOT to do in the garden! I'm not sure I will ever view cacti close up the same way again! My son moved this year to the Phoenix, Arizona area, bought a house, and is learning to garden with cacti since it seems that is the one thing that will grow there very well. He wants me to help him but I am from PA and know nothing about xeriscaping. (Plan to learn with the help of DG!) We are always taking photos of the great cacti in the area, especially at the Desert Botanical Garden when we visit. I will never be able to photograph them again without thinking of you, Kell, and your experience!!
jerry0
Summerfield, NC

February 3, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7524176

All this reminds me of when I took the MENSA test and passed! Oh I was soooo proud.
When I attended meetings, the members, for the most part, proclaimed to be ordinary folk. Oh what a bunch of pretentious blowhards.
I no longer carry a MENSA card so does that change me?
I don't think so...
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7524515

C'mon guys. Lay off. You are being rude now.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7524569

The term "Master Gardener" has always made me snicker.

That goes double now.

No offense to those with lots of hands-on knowledge & formal training who devote untold hours to helping improve the gardens & community around them.

Oh wait. That describes me. Without the need for a paper hat (not that I wouldn't wear a paper hat if circumstances called for it).
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7524721

It's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Snicker all you like...
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7524730

No, I never do know what I'm talking about. I just yammer.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7525189

This article was meant to be humorous. I brought it up for re-airing because I remembered the wonderful artwork and as someone who has been through the MG classes, I identified with the humor. I can also see where it might strike a nerve with someone who isn't familiar with Palmbob/Geoff, or his background.

I'd rather not delete this thread, because it is feedback for Geoff. I'd also prefer that our admin time not be taken up with editing out unkind comments toward one another, so please pick up after yourselves here.
jazmom
(Maura) Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7526200

obviously this touched a nerve...not sure which nerve but a sensitive one to be sure! while it is important for opinions and feelings to be aired it is also equally important that it be done in a 'congenial and gentle' manner. after all we are all gardeners here, respect for the earth and each other is, at least in my mind, a very basic premiss to that.
namaste'
master yardener maura

All on the same path!

Thumbnail by jazmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7526523

But veering left of center...
Saddletree
Fayetteville, NC

February 5, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7532454

People, get a grip. No one has more sense of humor than I do. You would say the same if you knew me. I was only pointing out information about the title of Master Gardener. We are only allowed to use Research Based information--not old wives tales, etc. And I'm sorry for those of you who must have attended a different program from the fantastic one I attend. Remember, Master Gardener is followed by the term "Volunteer". Take it or leave it.
Frannyrose
Huntington Beach, CA

February 6, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7535374

It's pouring down rain here in So Cal so can't be in the garden which led to me firing up the Mac and joyfully finding this thread about humor and Master Gardeners! Love that I bumped into it. I'm also a Master Gardener.
I found the cartoon pretty cute then was surprised at a MG feeling unnerved by it. Well, the greatest part of all is the new term coined here...Master Yardner! I love that! I'm going to run with that new jewel!
I'm often so impressed with the skills, knowledge and dedication of many of my fellow MGs. It is a marvelous organization. Garden on yardners!
Franny
imi
Lancaster
United Kingdom

February 10, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #7548895

I loved the cartoon and am glad it was shown again. Cannot fathom why anyone should get so wound up over humour, especially when when it points to PalmBob.

Love the new new acolade "Master Yardener" does that mean I can be "Novice"!
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7560683

Imi, yes...to be a 'Master Yardener' you may be Novice or Expertise; you may actually be Mastering all those shrubs and perennials in your yard, Or like many of us, Trying to find out exactly what our green friends Want to survive and thrive--- I have a few picky plants that I have signed contracts with, hoping that they will make it to Spring! Yeah, for Master Yardeners!! =)
stevelvv
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9378035

Saw this painted chair in a yard full of flowers up in Haines, AK:

Thumbnail by stevelvv
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9378505

I had forgotten about this thread! Best wishes in 2013! Here's to all Master Gardeners, Master Yardeners, and just plain Gardeners who help to make this world a more beautiful place to live in and can have a sense of humor when Mother Nature doesn't always cooperate with their efforts!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

January 7, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9378637

Amen!
Lacey12
Burson, CA

January 14, 2013
10:53 AM

Post #9384713

My, my, my ...it was 'tongue in cheek'. He said self proclaimed. Life is short, give it a rest and enjoy a chuckle or two - your face won't break and if it does it'll free you up a little for the next bit of light-heartedness.
It's life, do a little jig, click your heels and go on your merry way.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introducing Bob, Master Gardener Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved it doccat5 5 Jan 24, 2008 12:35 AM
Too Funny! KathyJo 1 Jan 28, 2008 1:13 PM
Thank you juja 0 Jan 23, 2008 11:48 AM
;*) kimarj 0 Jan 23, 2008 1:01 PM
Fantastic :) Dea 5 Jan 24, 2008 2:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America