AuthorContent

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7518563

The last thread was getting very long... moving on...

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070447/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Click the image for an enlarged view.

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7518632

Hi Mike. Thank you for that advise. When I was sent the seed I was told that I can put the name 'Sum & Substance' with an x after name and write seedling. I am excited to see what the babies will turn out to be. I will be putting them out in my very small woodland when they are big enough. I received several different pkts for small to large varieties of hostas.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7518714

Valley... i think that is what many do... because you at least know one of the parentage of the new seedlings. Just that it wont be a "true" S & S.

I will also have to make that notation with my seedlings... which i failed to do.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7518746

tcs, I would not have known to do that except for the people that sent seed told me about why I needed to do that. There are so many helpful people here on DG. I have learned so much from just reading some of the threads. What a great bunch of people. Hope it stays that way. It was like finding a treasure when I found DG.
Today I will plant more WS seeds. : )
A friend from Church is coming over to see how to WS. She is excited about trying it.
I found out yesterday that I can direct sow peas now for our area. I was not having any luck with them so finally just quit trying to grow them. I wasn't planting them until the end of May. To late for here. : ) Looking forward to home grown peas this year.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7518786

Good luck Lynn! Spread the news! :-)
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7518930

jada, how is your WSing coming along?
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7518979

Very Good Lynn! Thanks for asking. i checked everything this morning, they are all snow covered in the sun. I have 7 containers and now have a few jugs to do. In March i'll start the veggies , first time for those so we'll see how it goes ;-)

How are yours? Got enough seeds? Let me know if theres some you are looking for.

joyce
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7519021

So far I have 17 varieties of tomatoes, Johnny Jump-Ups, yellow bleeding heart and Roscoea (hope I spelled that correctly). : )
Much more to plant. Have to make another run for milk jugs. : )
I have so many seeds, I don't know what to do with all of them. 153 kinds. That's a lot of milk jugs. : ) Some I may just direct sow. The cyclamen babies have been coming up everywhere (North side of house & in my small woodland). I can't believe how easy they are. Just takes them a long time. They are easy to distinguish from weeds. Some of the other things, not so easy. That's the ones I am WSing.
What are you growing?
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7519033

I need to get my stuff going! I've been so out of it the past two weeks and then another cold snap came along and all I wanted to do was burrow under the electric blanket! LOL
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7519153

stephanie, are you one of the areas in Texas that got hit with snow? It is so wet and cold here I don't want to get out in the yard either. So, I set a table up in the garage and that is where I have been doing my WS jugs. : ) I do have to go set them out in the yard though, that part is not fun. : ( But then I go in the house and get dried off and warmed up and look out the window and see more jugs out there just waiting to grow new plants. Big sighhhh. : )
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7519164

Lynn, I planted cyclamen bulbs this fall for the first time. Will i see them this year?

My list is too long to put here but I found that columbines do well in a shady bed I have so i have about 12 diff ones ws to add there. I'm also trying some shrubs and plenty of rudbeckias. The only ones i wish I had are the tomatoe ones. i think "red tomatoe" or something like that. So 7 containers with 20-24 different ones in each, I think I have enough, ya think;-)

If they all germinate I wont have a lawn this year;-)

steph, what are you waiting for:-)
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7519239

You will definitely have enough. : )
I'm with you, just take out more lawn. That's what I have been doing the last two years. Less to mow and water. Most of what I have been planting, perrennials & shrubs, are draught tolerant. Our water here is so expensive. Go figure, PNW and all it's rain. Summers here are really dry though.
Is that E.'Tomato Soup'?
R. Irish Eyes and R. Indian Summer are absolutely beautiful. Wonder if they are as hardy as Goldstrum? Goldstrum has done so well for me in our wet winters it makes me want to try some of the others. I've also had great success with some of the Echinacea White Swan and Magnus. Not so good with E. Sunrise. The color is almost white and the plant is not very figorous. I think I will move the plant this Spring and see if that makes a difference.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7519268

Yea, thats it! Tomatoe Soup
I ws some noid trades and these:

Prairie sun
Chocolate Orange
Goldstrum
Green Wizard
Tequila sunrise
Don Elfers

Whats PNW?
I hope mine do as well as yours.Are any of yours in part shade?

I also have a lot of asters and daisys. Love daisys!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7519383

Tequila Sunrise & Tomato Soup are Echinacea.
Prairie Sun, Chocolate Orange, Goldstrum and Green Wizard are Rudbeckia. I'm not sure what the Don Elfers is. Both kinds are very hardy, love sun and are drought tolerant once established. I love them. : )
Some varieties don't come true from home gathered seeds.
Pacific North West =PNW : )
I find that they do better if in full sun. The one that is in part shade is the Echinacea Sundown, that is why I will move it this Spring and see if it does better in full sun. All the rest of my R's & E's are in full sun.
I have one daisy I got in a trade, nice healthy plant (came in Fall). I just checked it yesterday and it is alive. : ) I am really looking forward to it's flowers this summer. The only asters I have are our native ones. Very hardy and so pretty. I love them.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 1, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7519479

Ok. Thanks for sorting those out. They look a lot alike. I think they will look good together. i will put them in sun. Hope your daisy does well! Mine comes back and gets bigger and bigger.

I did some Johnny Jump ups too.We are going to have to share pics this spring:-)
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7519750

The R's & E's look wonderful together. I am looking forward to my Shasta Daisy blooming it's little heart out. : )
I love the Johnny Jump Ups. I have had them in the yard for about 8 years. I don't know how they do it, but I now have 4 or 5 different color combinations, all from the original pkt of seeds. They are so much fun.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7520393

We didn't get any snow, ice, or sleet, just COLD temps. I had to get some more soil. The stuff I have is too dry. Went and got that today after work, so I'm set to go now. I plan on starting some jugs tomorrow morning before I go in to work (at 1pm). I have an enclosed sunroom I can work in. It's not heated, but we have an electric heater in there I can use. I will have to water the soil in the jugs outside though.

valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
2:12 AM

Post #7520550

The dry cold is the worst on the plants. We had that the first part of Dec. Very unusual for us. Now it's wet and cold (not freezing however).
You are ready to go Stephanie. Happy planting. : )
I just went through seeds and sorted out another bunch to plant next (about 20 or so).
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7520678

I do need to get more jugs ready. I found a 33 gal bag full out in the garage! Woot!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
2:57 AM

Post #7520732

Goldmine. : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7520809

Stephanie... isn't that like Christmas?? I found a bag in my basement in Dec... had about 13 gallons.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7521036

It is like Christmas! I also found 5 or 6 that I used last year, so I'm going to clean those out and re-use them this year!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7521665

I would never try ws tomatoes in our zone... what I have learned living in this zone is to start tomatoes inside on heat mat at the end of February. The growing season is so short here that if they don't get start then, there is barely enough time to get some tomatoes from the plant before frost hits again...

Nothing like gardening back home in Kentucky... * ~ )

Janet

ps I suppose you could winter sow them after all danger of frost but it doesn't give you enough time to have a good crop of tomatoes...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7522245

I was thinking about how to store my 43 WS jugs after this is all over. I am not fond of spending the entire day over the hot burner with those phillips screwdrivers!

I've decided the best way is to actually cut through the remaining side, and stack the bottoms and the tops, then store away in the garbage bags.

This way, they won't get all crushed.

How do ya'll store yours?
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7522279

I like your idea Gymgirl. Would also give me a big head start on planting next year. : )
Going to get more milk jugs today. YEAH!!!!! Times awasting. Gotta get busy. : )

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7522327

I recycle mine. since most of the tops get cut off, and some of the sides get cut to get the seedlings out .. 99% of mine are unusable. Plus... i really do not have room to store them. I do reuse the nursery pots... i just restack them and put them in the big Rubbermaid tote.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7522379

I'll re-attach my tops to my bottoms by making a hinge with some Duct tape on that one side. I'm going to try not to destroy too many jugs getting the seedlings out. If I just moisten the soil and dump 'em on their heads like Karen recommends, I shouldn't have to cut through too many that have separation anxiety...

Linda
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #7523358

Linda, I never tried it, but I don't think the top half will stack too well with that handle in the way. Never tried it though. I get rid of the jugs every year. I don't want any more junk around here and the jugs are easy enough to get.

Karen
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010

Post #7523408

Could you stack them with the handles alternating sides and still keep them in one piece? Last year, I just threw mine in a big box. Didn't intend to reuse them, but "found" them when we were doing some cleaning and straightening. I did recycle most of them, though.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7523600

I finally got started with my wintersowing today! Got on a roll, and now have 70 containers on the deck. That had me feeling pretty good, till I started looking at all the seeds left to sow, LOL.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2010
11:50 PM

Post #7523715

Neal: 70 in one day???

Karen

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7523735

Getting the jugs IS the easy part...burning all those holes is another story...
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7523885

That's your fault, Linda! Just poke with a knife or scissors. It takes me a couple of minutes to cut a jug and poke holes.

I use an old piece of scrap wood, been using the same piece for 5 years. It has several holes drilled in it. After I cut the jug open, I sit it on the wood. Poke scissors thru the jug and into the hollow space below formed by the drilled holes. Easy and quick.

You don't need to burn holes. It's very easy to stick a steak knife through a milk jug.

Karen
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 3, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7523949

I burn my holes too. I like the holes circular and even. I cant tell if the slits let out too much water or if soil will also seep thru. It was harder to burn the holes in the containers than the jugs and the heat allowed for a quick hole in the thicker plastic.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7523982

*THUD* 70, as in 7-0??? WOW!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7524126

wow Neal... what a days accomplishment.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
2:56 AM

Post #7524281

well, within the next few weeks, I'll be getting some of my almost 250 seeds started with the ws.

Would someone please stop me from collecting any more different seeds... I've absolutely lost my mind when it comes to collecting seeds... H e l p... LOL

Janet
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7524304

Well, I don't quite have 70 WS'd jugs, or anything close to what Linda has going on but I'm plugging right along. I have since moved my collection onto my deck in order to avoid the ants (stupid, oops), but originally had them along this fence for a coupla days because this area had the most sunlight. I'm really thankful to have learned this technique from all of you- this really changes everything.

So far, I have successfully WS'd Lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, swiss chard, and butterfly bush.

Here's a pic of my collection from mid-January...I've added a little more, though.

Thumbnail by JohnCrichton75

JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7524310

Two Margherita tomato plant seedlings.

JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
3:13 AM

Post #7524322

Red Sails lettuce, WS'd on 1/18/10.

Question: when would you transplant these?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7524502

John Crichton75, take my suggestion with a grain of salt as I'm a newbie to ws, but if they were mine I would wait till they were a little bigger.

Janet
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7524939

Yep, 70 jugs- I could hardly believe it myself when I counted, LOL! Hope I can have another productive day like that soon. I picked through the mound of seeds and pulled those that require cold stratification first, had about a dozen varieties of Columbine, 11 Penstemons, and several Foxglove and Rudbeckia, and a few hardy Geraniums and Hollyhocks. Also did several Snapdragons this year, my first time wintersowing those.

John, typically I like to see a set of true leaves before transplanting, big enough to handle without damaging the seedlings. I've found tiny seedlings transplant well when temps are still cool and even moisture is easy to provide.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 3, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7525541

Great pictures John, thank you for posting them. It gives me courage to continue on in my first try at WSing.
gemini, 70 jugs, that is mind boggling. I better get busier. Even with that I will never catch up. I went through the rest of my seed yesterday and sorted out the ones that need Winter chill. I hope to get them all planted by the end of the week.
meadowyck, sorry I can't help you with your seed addiction, I'm to busy trying to plant my 163 kinds of WS seeds. I'm afraid I would just be an enabler. : )
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7525710

John, I'd wait until there's at least one set of true leaves, maybe even more.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7526103

Karen,
The one thing I can depend on from my very best friend in the whole wide world is that, if I ask her something, I'm gonna get her truth, no matter how it feels. I liken it to her putting on a pair of steel toe boots, and giving me a good, swift, kick in the butt. It doesn't always feel good at the time, but I've come to rely on her honesty.

She doesn't play games, and that's kinda refreshing.

You remind me of her -- a lot. ^:-)^

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7526117

Johnboy!

You're giving me hope! My bells (inside the house for now), are tall as the tall tomato in your pic. Do you have your bells inside or out? I kept mine in for now 'cause the temps keep dropping, and I want them to get a good head start so when I put them out for hardening, they're a good size.

I opened the tops of the jugs last night and dropped the fluorescent lights to 1" of the seedling tops. I also gave them a feeding of MG and Epsom Salts night before last. They greened up overnight!

How many varieties of tomatoes have you started? I have between 14-18 different tomato varieties WSowed, and plan to sell my extras (CHEAP!).

LMK if you want any. I'll post a list of what makes it, after I uppot to 16 oz. cups and beef 'em up with deep rooting.

Ok. Break's over. Gotta get back to my day job...The one that pays for the garden!

Linda
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7526123

So tell us about your zinnias. Or better yet- show us a picture. What kind of zins are they?

I have a great best friend. She was here visiting me earlier today. If I could just turn her into a gardener, she'd be perfect. She can kill any plant just by looking at it, I swear.

Karen
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7526139

Lynn, wintersowing is addictive, so don't be surprised if you find yourself with over a hundred next year :-)

I finally feel caught up, got the rest of the seeds that prefer cold treatment wintersown. I was surprised yesterday to end up with an easy to remember number of jugs, then today it happened again-30. Exactly 100 containers sown as of today. Looks like most of what I have left are things that need to wait till March. Breathing a sigh of relief!
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7526199

Ok, sounds like I have plenty of time before I transplant. Thanks, everyone.

Gymgirl- my bells are outside. Everything, in fact. I was not as ambitious as you, and I only bought around 6 or 7 varieties of tomatoes from Parks, but they haven't shipped half of them because they're still on back order!!! I should have used more suppliers, or at least bought seeds locally as back-ups. I just fell behind somehow. I would definately be interested in purchasing some of your tomato plants, and we can still trade peppers as well (assuming mine continue to germinate and prosper.) So far, I have the Margheritas, some Supersweet 100's, and another variety I cannot recall at the moment.

Yeah, I haven't posted much lately due to my schedule but I have lurked from time-to-time to see what's happening. I must have spent an hour online (at work) yesterday getting up to speed on the whole DG ownership change. Wow.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7526246

K,
You asking me about zinnias? If so, I haven't sowed any flower seeds yet.

After lurking and reading, I think I might need to wait til next weekend. I have seeds for zinnias (those huge lime green and fuscia ones), marigolds, and a coupla other common plants. I believe these are not cold hardy annuals.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll rush right home to throw some seeds in a jug!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7526385

OK, you confused me again. That was in another thread, apparently asking about last year's plants in seed starting trays.

Actually, this happens a lot on DG I think. Threads get so long, touching so many subjects. A lot of thoughts and questions unfortunately get lost in the shuffle. I think a new thread about a new subject makes more sense, but that's never going to happen here.

Karen

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7532368

With having 14 milk jugs to prep for sowing... i decided to "time" how long it took using a steak knife and scissors.

40 seconds to toke and twist 14 holes and slice the top... I do feel using the 'glue gun' took longer.

I also feel that milk jugs are thinner than they have been in the past... cutting back maybe??
but easier to poke and twist than i recall from previous years.

I have 18 jugs and 5 qt sized yogurt buckets all ready to go. will wait til the family is done with lunch before i bring out the soil. Amazing how everyone is home today -- so much easier to do when the house is empty.
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7532508

tcs, you are on your way. : )
I use a sharp pointed phillips screw driver and a box cutter to do mine. This is the first time for me and I to was surprised at how thin the milk jugs are. Went very quickly. The box knife sliced through them like butter. I have 10 more ready to fill up. : )

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7532553

Ok, ya'll forgive me for digressing from the main thread topic here, please...back on track!

My Wando peas are about to grow outta the milk jug, so I need to plant them out this weekend.

Karen,
Winter Sowing totally ROCKS! I'd like you to know I've been recruiting devotees' in every forum I belong to and sending them this way. It's all your (and Trudi's) fault if the fluorescent light people go outta business! ^:-)^ doing the WS dance!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010

Post #7532592

That's great, Linda. I have another local friend who's trying it for the first time this year, too.

BTW, I do the fluorescent light thing as well. Gives me something pretty to look at in winter.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7532616

So as not to digress, would you consider starting a COLEUS Winter Sowing thread?

sweet...
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7532625

Hey Terese :)

If I used "steak knife and scissors" I'd probably end up with stiches the little extra time with the glue gun is worth it to me lol

I've filled about ten jugs today and put them out in the rain to get wet and planting the eleven that I had sitting here draining from the last rain. I've only sown the lucky number of 13 jugs so far need to get the lead out!

I sowed some garden Globeflower just now and see there is another one that is yellow all the time I thought mine was yellow and now I guess it was an orange color I think it was lol Anyway these are suppose to be hard to germinate so I hope I have luck with them! I like a challenging seed :)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31634/
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7532635

I have officially started! I WSed 4 containers last night before it got too dark. DH is doing something different with the jugs this year. He's using a box cutter to make little "vents" in the top, 4 on each jug, approx. 1/4" long in a half moon shape cut on 3 sides. Then, he's leaving the flap up so it catches water and directs it down into the jug. I have pics of the jugs, but they're on my computer at home.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7532648

Linda: You would probably do well with coleus in your zone. Won't take any frost, or even temps much below 50 or 60, so best sown close to summer. I tried it once and they stayed way too small until around August.

Now, I keep some cuttings under lights through winter and start some from seeds inside.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7533037

I love it when the ity bitty babies start showing color like that

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7533058

K,
They do QUITE well here. First season growing anything at all, I had coleus from babie transplants. The patio looked amazing!

This is Coleus "Black Dragon" with Dusty Miller. Awesome combination.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 2:52 PM

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 2:53 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7533068

Very pretty!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7533075

Thanks, LeBug!

Um, no more coleus posts unless Karen starts a Winter Sowing discussion! I'm not taking the fall!
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7533102

Gymgirl, was that Black Dragon Coleus from WS? It is just beautiful.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7533113

Nope. From a coupla small seedlings I grew up. They cost $1. I learned to "snip and stick" pieces into some potting mix, and turned a few into many. The dusty miller was there at the same time, so I bought it. Had no idea what it would grow up to look like together, but there's the proof.

I loved that combination together.

I'd love to WINTER SOW (see, I'm on topic here, again...) some COLEUS SEEDS (hint, hint, hint...to whoever might be watching...^:-)^!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #7534203

Hmm, I have both of those, I'll have to do a container. How do dusty miller do with cold? Maybe I can WS them late. Obviously I'll have to start the coleus in. Anyone WS dusty miller?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2010
2:35 AM

Post #7534208

here is today's list... I'm up to 63 total.

Cup Plant
Viola, Blue Boatharbor
MG Blue Star
Salvia foriskaohlii
Salvia argentea "silver sage"
Salvia Lyrata, Purple Knockout
Salvia farinacea 'Blue Bedder"
Sambucus nigra, Elderberry
Lobelia, Great Blue
Wild Lupine
Lantana
Lobelia, Cardinalis
Heliopsis, false sunflower
Purple Majesty Millet
Platcondon, Blue Balloon Flower
Rudbeckia, NoID BES
Rudbeckia, NoID BES
Agastache, Tutti Fruitti
Agastache, Pink Pop
Agastache anisata
Purple Milkweed
Cherry Tomato
Double Pink, Poppy
Purple Poppy
Semi-Double Mix Poppy
Grape Poppies
Oriental Poppy - Orange/peach
Queen's Poppy

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7534346

oohhh gotta look up pink pop!!!!
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 6, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7534795

help. zone 5 i never ws in milk jug . how many tomato seeds do you put in one. allso need milk weed. can i do that? do i ws now and they come up at the right time? thank you all for the help. jlmcv45 jim. 4 in of snow fell to day jim
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7534856

I wouldn't do more than 5 or so tomatoes per jug, but that's me. I WSed butterfly weed last year and they did great.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #7534863

Linda, beautiful coleus. I love the black dragon/dust miller combo. Maybe I should try some of those added to my coleus. BTW, pinching those coleus will keep them bushier.

Nice list, Terese.

jim, how many seeds per container is up to you. I'd probably only do about 6 in a milk jug. I can't plant toms out very early, don't want to "pot up" so I do toms in cups sometimes. I do use milk jugs for about everything else though.

I have WSown milkweed (A. tuberosa). I think it was my first year. I didn't get great germination but did end up with 4 healthy plants. Later killed one trying to move it. Here's one, in it's 4th year I think.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7534873

Here's my start! I went ahead and sowed my sweet peas because it's been raining for a couple of days. I need to get them going, but we've had rain off and on for the past week, so I've not been able to get out and work in the areas where they're going to be planted. I'd rather have the time to get the areas weed free while they're germinating than miss out on them this year.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7534879

Jim -- I do milkweeds every year... zone5a here.

What type were you going to try... annuals or perennials??

the perennials will not bloom the first year anyways, so when you sow should not be an issue.

I generally get pretty good germination with these. for the annuals, i'll do them end of March probably, and i'll put the the container in a south bed so it gets more sun.

Last year [and i'd have to check when they were sown] but my silky golds bloomed but never went to seed. The scarlets, even volunteers, I'll get seed pods. they are both Asclepias curassavica.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7534929

grrrlgeek wrote:Hmm, I have both of those, I'll have to do a container. How do dusty miller do with cold? Maybe I can WS them late. Obviously I'll have to start the coleus in. Anyone WS dusty miller?

I've not WS Dusty Miller but it appears they are a fairly hardy plant. We've had ice and snow cover for over three days and nights with some nights down near 10 degrees and it appears the dusty miller in my beds might still have life near the soil line. It would be great if they come back this spring. Won't know for certain for another few weeks. I have left the plants as is with winter killed tops in place. They haven't been trimmed.

Last fall, just to see if a dusty miller cutting would root, I pinched out a top of one before the first frost and that little top rooted very quickly in a damp potting mix. Based on my brief experience with this little plant, I think they'd be a great candidate for WS'ing.

Mary

jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 6, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7535036

I have a silver themed bed that has dusty miller. It is very hardy. I think it would be ok to ws it too as maryleek said.

I'm hesitant to ws coleus. Its a tender perennial, which means its an annual in most paces in the US except maybe zone 10-11.I have always started mine indoors with heat mats. Whenever I direct sow into a bed I wait till summer heat is consistent.

It would make a good experiment thou to see if they come up. I had some volunteers in my beds one year so they must do ok outdoors over the winter. They just didnt come up till late summer.

Gymgirl, I think I will try a jug and see what happens.If it fails, its just a couple of seeds lost, right?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7535050

Mary,

I'm in a colder zone than you and mine that is out in the garden comes back year after year.

grrrrigeek
dusty miller plant, at least for me, is hardy so I would say take some but not all of your seeds to see how it does for your WS.

Without experiment how would we ever advance.

Janet
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7535133

Thanks for the great info on coleus and dusty miller, neither of which I would have ever thought to WS, but I'm going to experiment--why not? Jugs are cheap!
lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7536903

Janet, Coleus comes back for you? or Dusty Miller?

Dusty Miller is hardy for me too but not coleus. Nothing is easier to start from a cutting than coleus though. Last year I cut up a whole gangly coleus houseplant & turned it into 13 new little plants - plus the stub grew back...
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 7, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7537098

thank you stephanietx one more thing. i have a lot of wildeflower seed . i would like to ws on the ground .zone 5 . we have 4 in of snow . more coming the 9-10. of feb. when that is gone an still wet. would that be a good time to ws? would you like some (cockscombs) seed my e-mail is jlmcv45@yahoo.com. jim thank you jim.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7537121

Jim... I dont understand what you mean by "i would like to ws on the ground" ... is that for putting the containers on the ground, or seeds directly on the ground?

>>when that is gone an still wet. would that be a good time to ws?

again... not sure i understand.

If you wanted to WS into containers right now... just stick the containers right out into the snow. that's what we folks up north do.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7537217

i was talking about dusty miller, sorry for the confusion.

I'll be ws in the next 3 weeks, starting tomorrow to get all of my jugs ready, then the following week, put soil and seeds in then outside they go...LOL

Wish it would have been this week as we have 10" of fresh snow, and if my babies would have been out there they would have had a nice blanket for a while. But to start now is way to early for my area.

Janet
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7537431

Jim, I think what you're talking about is what I've heard called "frost seeding". it shouldn't be too late yet, here's a link to a blog post I had saved with info on seeding in the snow: http://www.prairiemoon.com/blog/how-to/planting-window-is-still-wide/2009/12/ .
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 7, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7537604

hi tcs1366 yes i ment thro the seed on the ground. some of it is old. let the good lord say if they are good or not. do you think the snow melt will wash the seed away? as for the milk weed it came up wild but last fall i picked the pods &burnd the weeds . so i will ws the seed from the pod. i will put them in jugs. would you like some (cockscomb) seed. my e-mail is--jlmcv45@yahoo.com thanks every one. jim
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 7, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7537651

hi grrrlgeek i think monday be fore the next snow i will geter done. thank you.-- want some (cockescomb) seed? jim.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7537653

The snow melt shouldn't wash the seeds away, according to Prairie Moon (the link above is to their blog). http://www.prairiemoon.com/

The milkweed might still come up after a burning, let me check the Fire Effects database...
...it looks like, depending on species and the "hotness" of the fire, you could very well have more Asclepias come up in the burned area. Watch for babies! Here's the link to the database if you're interested: http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/ .
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7537669

oops, we cross posted. yes, please, I'll dmail you about the seeds.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 7, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7537951

My WS jugs are completely covered with snow. I was going to take a photo, but nope...they're just a drift.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7537992

Celene, how much snow did you get in Columbus? We got about 7" in Cincinnati. That pales in comparison to places measuring it in feet, but 7" all at once is pretty much for us. Fortunately, it was a weekend so not so bad. It doesn't take much snow to bring the city to a screeching halt.

Karen

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 7, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7538133

At least 12" here, but there is a lot of drifting. To give you an idea, my porch has three steps, and the snow drifted up the steps to the door and I had to shove on the door good and hard to let the dogs out, there was probably 4" of snow drifted up on the porch.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7538742

meadowyck wrote:Mary,

I'm in a colder zone than you and mine that is out in the garden comes back year after year.

Janet

Janet, my thanks for this additional helpful information. I planted dusty miller next to the black OSP vines and it was so pretty together. Had a hardy geranium in the mix, too, and it was one of the prettiest spots in my small garden. Also had the dusty miller planted among the Salvia Victoria Blue Sage and the coloring in dusty miller really picked up the silver tinged leaves on the salvia. So happy to learn the dusty miller should come back. I saved cuttings from the OSP vines so sounds like I'm all set with that part of the garden when spring arrives.

This is one of the best reasons to visit Dave's Garden as we learn so much from each other.

Mary

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7544099

Mary

I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned here from others sharing their knowledge.

It is a wonderful place.

Do you have a picture from last year that you could post. we all love pics...

Janet

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7544211

Speaking of images... i was bored last night and was going thru old images... this is my view during the summer from my back door. This would have been summer of 2008, as some of those invasive trees have been trimmed back.

99% of all of those plants were WS'ed

Thumbnail by tcs1366

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 9, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7544252

tcs, that's so lovely. I like flower beds that are like that...they look like the plants enjoy one another's company and intermingle naturally, like a happy, informal cocktail party.
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7544361

I don't have a full shot photo but here are two of the colors together.

Mary

Thumbnail by maryleek

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #7544372

Very pretty Mary!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #7544379

I think Dusty is gonna be the star of a lot of gardens this spring...
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
2:19 PM

Post #7544388

This is a photo of the three plants together when I first planted them. No photo of later on, when they were full. You can at least see the color and texture of the mix.

Mary

Thumbnail by maryleek

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7544420

Oh, yeah, leeky! My Margarita Blackie just bit the dust, getting nipped in our last freeze. I'm hoping there's some life down below the soil and that she'll come back. If not, count on seeing that combination in my spring pics! Dusty Miller, and SPV Margarita!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7544427

Maybe they made some potatoes and will come back from them. Mine got huge last year but didn't make any potatoes for me :( And dummy me didn't get cuttings in time.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7544481

Here's one of the purple coneflowers I WSed last year. They bloomed last fall!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7544515

Grrrlgeek,
I DO have a huge potato sitting in the pot...it looks perfectly fine. I might just cover it over with more potting mix and see what it does. Thanks!
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7545266

stephanietx wrote:Here's one of the purple coneflowers I WSed last year. They bloomed last fall!

Oh, I do hope mine bloom this year and that they're half as pretty as that bloom. Look at the color, just lovely.

Mary

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7545307

Mary

Thanks for sharing your pictures, great combo you have there.

Janet
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7545455

maryleek, I love you color combination in the above photo.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7545616

Mary, I was told they don't normally bloom the first year, but since I WSed them, I think that's why they bloomed.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7545638

Mary -- as Stephanie pointed out, most Echinacea do not bloom the first year.

White Swan will bloom first year...

out of the tons of WS'ed seedlings I got in 2007, i had ONE [total] bloom, and it was a sad looking bloom, but ... next year i had hundreds.

She possibly got lucky due to her zone, having a longer growing season.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7545716

This is continually one of my favorite forums on DG--seems like no matter what time of year there aren't any lulls that you get in some of the other forums:lol: Wintersowers are planning and chatting about seeds to purchase or trade, containers to sow in, how to's and tips, showing off the babies, showing off the grown up babies in their new homes and sometimes...still in their WS containers due to their WS bounty of extra seedlings and no place for them to go and the forgotten containers thought to be duds that just were extremely slow to germinate making sudden appearances when they were least expected. Never a dull moment in the WS forums...and I just love it=)
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 11, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7550097

its to early to ws. have you heard of eating like a bird? 40 lbs this snow storm. love watching them. they look happy. jim
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2010

Post #7551267

Stephanie,

What is the purple looking flower below the coneflower? Is that a shrimp plant?

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7551372

Yep, it's a red shrimp plant that probably got killed by the latest round of SNOW we're having today. Where's global warming when you need it??
MDREAMS01
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7551738

Stephanie TX,
Think mother nature is doing here own thing haven't seen snow here in year's but we on alert for next 2 days. We just have to keep going.
Had to bring my yellow shrimp plant in cause lost my red last year they do not survive here outside .
Carolyn

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 11, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7552019

Hahaha, at least in Ohio I *know* my shrimp plant has to come in. I think mine's "Fruit Cocktail" or something like that, it's pink.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7552162

Here are my jugs after a full day of non-stop snow.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7552243

pics not showing up again
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7552315

I'm sorry One. You might want to try again in a little bit.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #7552396

I know i saw a thread where Dave said he was working on something... check the Daves forum.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7552442

they are transferring servers .. it's back now... not sure if you photo looks cozy or cold
slopesower
Running Springs, CA
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7552587

Wow, I got some jugs planted last week, just in time for more snow. This is only my second year, and it's still hard to believe that anything will grow in those poor, cold containers. Last year I planted a few and had great success and I'm trying to remember that. I'm still going to plant lots of duplicates inside, under lights this year, but if it works well again, I'd like to do less inside. Im even trying veggies this time. I have my fingers crossed.

Thumbnail by slopesower

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7552694

i did 3 containers tonight... i had been trying to get them done this week and just never had the time... so 3 of them quickly... 2 milk jugs and a qt container.

the qt and 1 gallon were False Indigo and the other was Dwarf Asters.

I wont have time until early March to sow again. but hopefully I'll have plenty of jugs by then.
jlmcv45
Owensville, MO

February 12, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7552921

hi stephanietx. have you seen the weather report. you wont have to water all month jim ----its late nothing better to do.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7553377

Steph,
You still with us? I heard ya'll got 11" of snow last night!!!! a RECORD!

Let us hear that you're ok. I know the WSed plants are doing fine.

Linda
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7553431

I am amazed at the amount of snow everyone is getting! Does it normally snow in Texas?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7553477

All of last year there was freaky weather all across the country. "It 'ain't ovah!"

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7553521

holy cow!! 11 inches. we didnt even get that much.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
4:37 PM

Post #7553582

I feel bad for the people in areas that aren't used to this stuff. Almost makes me wish it was here instead. Almost.

It's enough for me...

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7553828

here was my back patio

Thumbnail by tcs1366

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7553835

here was my view when i opened the garage door.

Thumbnail by tcs1366

lisabees
Centennial, CO
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7554857

Yay, I've started! Last year was my first try at WSing and I was not all that successful so I wasn't sure I wanted to try it again. But I'm not l going anywhere this winter (unlike last year) so I'm giving it another try. I got 7 jugs planted today: berlandiera, echinops, delphinium, cosmos, some mystery small alliums, nigella, and Chinese lanterns. They are all seeds collected by me or by friends. The last two are from old seed, but I have nothing to lose if they don't grow - the others will!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7554940

I am here! We got 11.3" of snow and NO it doesn't normally snow THIS MUCH in my part of Texas! LOL We usually get a dusting (not more than 3") every year, but this year, the heaven's just opened up and dumped on us all day on Thursday.

You can see some pics on my blog (not my gardening blog), http://stephanies-stitching-and-musings.blogspot.com/ .
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2010
2:51 AM

Post #7555050

Here is looking out our front room window looking out at the front yard and the road out fron. This was 4 years ago. It was two days before the trees and snow were cleared so we could get down the road. We were lucking we didn't lose power. It was a record for us, we usually just get a dusting.
So now I am not going to complain about the cold and rain that is not turning into snow. : )

Thumbnail by valleylynn

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7556308

WOW, I hope everyone's roses in Texas survive the snow! Mine are used to it, but they are all hardy ones, and some of them still don't make it. We are getting flurries today. Tiffany is barking at the squirrels and icicles dropping from the roof. I had to move some seedlings so that she could look out the window upstairs.

Nice to see another stitcher and knitter, Stephani. I have been mostly knitting, lately. I love the look of cross stitch and want to try some machine embroidery cross stitch designs. (I haven't done much hand cross stitch, I like embroidery with lots of stitches, someday I will do a sampler when I find the "perfect" design)
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010

Post #7564911

I am such a bad procrastinator!! I still haven't gotten started on my WSing.. but since I'm further north now, I guess it doesn't matter. Right??? :)
I'm hoping to get some going this weekend.. we'll see LOL..

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #7564913

I have been slacking off too.. don't feel bad
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
11:49 PM

Post #7565138

me too, haven't started at all. Can't lift anything with my right hand so I guess that's somewhat of an excuse (NOT).
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7565342

I think that it's basically just fine to procrastinate a bit in our zones--Mother Nature will still give the seeds the chilling that they need in Feb or Mar or April, (for the less hardy seeds.) The reason to WS in Dec. or Jan, IMHO, is because one just can't WAIT to get those hands in dirt. I know I can't.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7565999

I wintersowed my first seeds yesterday. Three jugs of sweet peas which I had wanted to start several months ago. It is really warming up now (69 degrees yesterday) so it doesn't really feel like I am wintersowing LoL. The seeds were old - 1992, 1995, and 2003. Will see if any of them are viable.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7566205

you'll be surprised what is good. I read on a thread one time that someone collected seeds from their childhood and used it as art or kept it or something and then germinated them and they were fine. how cool is that?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7566220

very cool
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7566367

My WSing project has come to a standstill. Between the snow and a horrible case of bronchitis that took me out of work for 2 days, I've done nothing except sleep and hack and cough! I plan on attempting to get back at it today, but we'll see how that goes!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7566372

hope you feel better

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7566942

Today's my first day back, too. All day in bed Saturday & 1/2 Sunday. Then went out and tried a little bit, and ended up having to take Monday and Tues. off.

But, the DH put up a hoophouse for me yesterday, and moved all the jugs from the spa to the concrete launching pad. How cool is that? Used sheets in a pinch, and will be looking for Viscount? Construction Grade Plastic? to make a proper cover.

It went down to the low 30s last night. Hope they did ok.

I've noticed a few of my seedlings have swooned, and I'm praying it's not the dreaded damping off! A coupla my jugs did hold some extra water in the last downpour so I've opened the tops hoping they'll dry out quickly!

I'll post a pic when my Blackberry allows me to!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7567337

I felt well enough to do some jugs today. I did about 15 more. Most are herbs, but the veggies will be next, esp. tomatoes.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7567857

So, Steph, you're just now doing your tomato seeds? When is your plant out date for tomatoes?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
12:37 AM

Post #7567915

Is there an end in sight for this snow? I am hearing we have one more week until spring is here. I'm ready to get out the blowdrywer to melt the snow! LoL
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #7568297

I think it'll be longer than a week *sigh*.
Dry here, but cold.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7568307

Yes, I'm just doing them. I have no idea when the plant out date is, but it's been so cold that they probably wouldn't have sprouted anyway.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7568707

I wish I could chance starting a few more seeds, but all mine are 75 to 90-day indeterminates and I'd run out of time before the heat sets in.

I might start a few more seedlings in late April for another plantout in late June. That's still very "iffy" 'cause I'd have to nurse them through the summer and into fall.

I'm seeing visions of a drip system with sprayers to cool the roots...
LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7568762

Hello everyone! I kind of fell off the face of the earth for a while, but I do hope to get started with some wintersowing soon. I am getting more inspired by reading your posts.

It went sooooo well for me last year! I loved it. I can't wait to see what comes up again this year.

I have been saving milk jugs (every one!) since I stopped sowing last spring... and I have 5 boys... and I can't get into my shed anymore... do you think that will be enough?

I am just hoping I can afford to buy soil to plant in this year. It does add up. One thing I am so bummed about is that I saved some seeds from my own plants last fall, I was so excited to have some to replant and spread around. I had them drying in paper cups and paper plates in the kitchen. Well, my 8yo decided to help me clean the kitchen one day while I was out. He threw out every single one! Ahhhh, I just about cried.

I do have quite a stash though of seeds I traded for and bought last summer, so I am sure some of them will still be good.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
6:29 PM

Post #7569630

LisaD, so sorry about your seeds! But yah gotta love those helpers, huh?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7569949

LoL I feel your pain! People just don't understand how much we love our seeds and plants. Lisa D I have some seeds I would be happy to share with you. Please, dmail me if there are any seeds you would like to have. I will check my stash for you.
LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #7570289

Thanks Anita! That is so sweet. For this year, I think I will see what comes up from the ones that I gathered from. I do kind of a gathering, scattering thing for the ones that have a lot of seed so we will see. : )

I am torn though this year because we will be gone for 6 weeks from the end of May to July 5th. I hesitate to sow anything that I would be emotionally attached to this year, and then leave it in the hands of our faithful house-sitter (college student) for that long. There are a few things that I just want volume plants of, and so for those I will probably sow them in several jugs, and fill in the gaps from last year.

I have an acre, and it is still pitifully empty. But I figure little by little I will be able to see it come to life.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7570616

Lissa... good to "see" you again.

Terese
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7570926

My very first WS babies have poked their little green heads out of the soil. Marion and Green Grape tomatoes. I am so excited. I feel like I want to go out with a flashlite and check on the during the night. I have about 25 jugs sown now. More tomorrow.
Wish I would have known about WS a long time ago.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 19, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7571259

Yay!!!!! Success!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7571624

Congratulations, ValleyGirl!

I am soooooooooooooo stoked about Winter Sowing.

I think that, in honor of all of Karen's hard work in diligently and succinctly, and lovingly and sometimes with a good stiff steel toe boot kick, providing her johnny-on-the-spot replies to our MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY questions regarding this new sport, we should adopt a Winter Sowing slogan of some sort and have it printed up on Tee-Shirts.

I'll begin the discussion of our slogan with my suggested banner:

"Winter Sowing -- It's Better Than the Olympics!"

And, here's my latest contribution to our WSing updates. The final count came in at 29 bells and 8 hot pepper plants for a grand total of 37 WS peppers!

This message was edited Feb 19, 2010 9:44 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7571633

Or, how about this:

"Winter Sowing -- The NEW Olympic Sport!"

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7571730

don't I wish it happened that fast!!!
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 19, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7571812

Yeah, we NEED a t-shirt! Great idea!

CONGRATS on your success GG!!!!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7571865

My jugs still look the same

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7571891

But, you get a Tee-shirt with your initials at the bottom...how "COOL" is that? (Pun intended)...
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 19, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7571929

Mine look like yours karen. I am envious of those with sprouts...I keep checking anyway thou...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 19, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7571931

Dh just about made me spit coffee by saying "What you really need is a t-shirt that says "My Jugs Still Look The Same". He's a caveman.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 19, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7571941

LOL!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7571960

I have a zazzle account I can make the shirts if you guys are serious
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7571967

I only wish my jugs looked the same.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7571971

too much info.. LOL
valleylynn
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7572736

I agree, I'll contribute to the tee shirt. I so appreciate all of you. Gymgirl, you are way ahead of me. Today I add Black Cherry and Gold Nugget tomatoes to the list of germinating jugs. : ) Proud mamma. : )

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
12:46 AM

Post #7572818

Ya'll are incorrigible!
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7572937

theres a slogan...my jugs are germinating!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7573012

I like that!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7573150

I like

Winter Sowing Forum

Want to see my jugs???

attached photo
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7573197

Jugs-R-Us?

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
3:35 AM

Post #7573220

LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7573494

Got Jugs?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7573827

Had to edit that post. I didn't realize that was an actual website. I was making a suggestion for the t-shirts. Sorry if I offeneded anyone. I can only imagine what that link lead to.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 1:40 PM
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7573900

Oh dear!

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7573939

Looking on the bright side, gymgirl, you will have blooms while we still have snow. No need to lament the lack of cold, dreary weather.

Lol. In the world outside winter sowing enthusiasts "show us your jugs" means something else altogether. Not going there.

I have to get a few more done then clean my kitchen. First, need at least one more cup of coffee...
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 20, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7574127

Start wintersowing
for spring flower growing!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7574781

Ok, I need winter sowing advice. I opened my tomato seedling milk jugs and put them out on the concrete launching pad to start getting some sun (although we've only had bright light 'cause it's been cloudy the last 3-4 days. Sun peeking in and out VERY briefly...)

Well, the seedlings look like they're turning yellow instead of greening up. I'm getting concerned, and am inclined to wanna pot them up to 16 oz cups and bring them in under the fluorescent lights for about a week or so to give them a chance. Or, should I just leave them alone?

They're just now making their 1st set of true leaves. I want them to live to the 2nd set of true leaves!

H-E-L-P! S-O-S! SAVE-OUR-SEEDLINGS!

Will post a pic in a minute...

LINDA

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7574794

Here's a pic...

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7574824

Another pic of yellowing seeds...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7575093

Gymgirl, I am pretty sure they are going to be just fine! keep the lid of the milk jug on them, the filtered light is really the best. I kept my tomatoes in their jugs last spring until they were coming out the top.

They were good and sturdy when we were finally past frost. In the milk jugs they were fine once they germinated. I know it is hard to believe. But I am even in a zone 7 where we still got below freezing for almost a month after they were up.

I planted mine on 3/6, they germinated 3/25 and we didn't get our last frost until late April. They were outside the whole time! They were covered until I planted them out in May.

Seriously, it works!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
2:29 AM

Post #7575671

Thanks, LissaD!

Karen sent me a message saying the same thing. So, I'm gonna cover them up again tomorrow and leave them alone until March 15th when they go into the EBsand eBuckets.

Thanks for the encouragement!
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

February 22, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7578651

Well, here's a new one. I had some wallflower "My Fair Lady" seeds on my WS list, and after careful research, decided they shouldn't go out until mid-March at the earliest. Of course I didn't read my own notes, so that when sowed them last weekend by accident while doing a bunch of other ones, I decided to compromise. I left the jug on my four-season porch, where temps get down to about 30-40 degrees overnight, and we also have a heater we use when we sit out here in the evenings. Today I went to make sure it wasn't drying out, since it's in the sun but indoors ... and surprise! A bunch of seedlings! Looks like they germinated in about 4 days.

Any particular advice on keeping the alive throughout the next two months? I also have dozens of coleus seedlings that I sowed in one of those plastic trays with the individual peat discs ... in January, because I just HAD to plant something ... and they came up in four days too. So I'll have to try to nurse them along until May as well.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7579523

I wintersowed Wallflowers (Erysimum cheiri) year before last, and did them early. They were the first to sprout, while it was still quite cold out. They performed beautifully, and are apparently quite hardy. Last spring they bloomed beautifully, the mother plants as well as a bunch of seedlings around them have stayed green through this awful winter we've had. This makes me think they prefer cool temps. The porch should be fine for them for now, but in March I believe I'd put them outside. When my seedlings were tiny they were exposed to quite a bit of cold and were unharmed in the jug.
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

February 22, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7579742

Thanks for the input! All the research I did seemed to indicate that there were less hardy than other perennials. Your experience would explain why they leaped at the chance to germinate in less-than-ideal conditions.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7581457

This year I've got both Siberian Wallflower (Erysimum x marshallii) and English Wallflower (E.cheiri) wintersown. Its the Siberian I typically see around here, and the one I figured would be the toughest, but so far the English has been easier for me. I'd read that the English wouldn't tolerate our hot summers, but so far, so good :-)
CrabgrassCentrl
New Milford, CT

February 23, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7581958

Well, the little beggars are looking happy, so I'm happy! Do you think they'll bloom this summer?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7582318

Mine bloomed the 2nd year, I think that's typical for them. I think I heard they're a short lived perennial, but looks like they reseed enough to make themselves a permanent fixture in the garden.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7591128

This week I did:

Linden Tree
Purple Disk Sunflower
Chocolate Joe Pye Weed
Sweet Joe Pye Weed
Blackberry Lily
Hollyhock Chamois
Hollyhock Peaches'n'Dreams
Black Cohosh
Anise Hyssop
Prairie Spiderwort
Northern Blazing Star
Cardinal Flower
Jack in the Pulpit
Bleeding Heart Vine
Downy Painted Cup
Southern Blue Flag Iris
Jumpseed Painters Palette
Snapdragon Lipstick Silver
Snapdragon Frosted Flames Mix
Columbine Leprechaun Gold
Columbine Chocolate Soldier
Columbine Lime Frost
Bellwort
Purple Milkweed
French Hollyhock Zebrina
Needle Grass
Kankakee Mallow
Pasque Flower
Rock Soapwort
Carnation Clove Drop
Swamp Rose
Dianthus Ideal Cherry Picotee
Alpine Violet
Red Turtlehead
Hosta Decorative Foliage Mix
Bearberry
Edelweiss
Large-flowered Beardtongue
Purple Coneflower
Lupin Tutti-Frutti Mix
Prairie Larkspur
Pyrethrum Robinsons Mix
Tansy
Wild Petunia
Common Arrowhead
Marsh Marigold
Comfrey
Blue Chrysanthemum
Purple Bell Vine

Also got a bunch of inside seeds started. Some of these I should've gotten out earlier, but, well, you do what you can.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7591152

nice list!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7591330

You must have a lot of acreage to accommodate all those plants!
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7591472

Oh, no, I only sowed enough to get 1-3 plants of most of them. There are only a couple of gallons, the rest are 1/2 gallons and 2 liters, and almost all the containers have more than one species planted in it. Some of the natives are going in and around the wild pond nearby since no one maintains it (like the arrowhead and echinacea).
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 27, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #7592125

Good work grrlgeek! hope they give you all the plants you need this spring.
garyon
Syracuse, NY

February 27, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7592322

Last year all I WS'd was parsley - it grew better than any I ever tried before.

So far this year:
parsley
catnip
lavender
columbine
pansy
snapdragon
oriental poppy

Are these all good candidates for WS?

I have them on a deep basement window sill (at least 12 inches), limestone foundation, facing south. I'm thinking that this will give them a head start. The south facing wall is behind the tall trees in the attached picture, which was taken on Thursday.

Thumbnail by garyon

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7592362

I direct sow my poppies in the fall. They start coming up in late January here.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 27, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7592370

Yes, those are good candidates!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7593156

I have sprouts!!! Checked my jugs today and one of the varieties of sweet peas that I planted are starting to sprout! I'm so excited! I'll have to take pics tomorrow. LOL

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7594153

hurrayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for the sweet peas...

Janet

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 28, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7594165

I'm so envious of those with sprouts. Mine are still utterly and completely covered in snow.
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7594222

Mine were covered with snow a few weeks ago! LOL I'm thinking of moving my tomato jugs from the east side of the house to the south side of my house so they'll get a bit more warmth. What does everyone think about that?
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

February 28, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7594346

More sun and warmth can only help.
Deebie
Orangeburg, SC

March 1, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7597115

This is my first year WSing and I have a question. Do I need to nick or file the seeds with hard coats before I wintersow them?
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7597660

Nope! Mother Nature doesn't do that, so if you're WSing you don't need to do it either.

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7597699

This thread is getting so long. Let's continue over here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078909/

Thumbnail by stephanietx

slopesower
Running Springs, CA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7597736

Yippee! On 1/31, I wintersowed some veggies. This is my first time with the veggies, and I just found tiny sprouts of broccoli, lettuce, spinach and cabbage. I wanted it to work so I could cut back on what I sow under lights inside. We've had three snow storms since I planted and there is more coming this weekend, but I am going to have faith and leave them alone.

I also have flower sprouts in about six of the 95 jugs that I've planted so far. I had good luck with flowers last year, and now I'm hooked. I'm especially happy about the sprouts from seed that I gathered myself. This is my first attempt at that too.

Thanks to all DGners who have helped me with tips and advice!!!!!!
stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7597743

Let's move to the new thread since this one is getting long and slow.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078909/
garyon
Syracuse, NY

March 6, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7609572

My post on Feb 27 shows snow and the south facing wall of our house. Here's a picture, taken today, of the window ledge.

Thumbnail by garyon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America