Winter Sowing - 2010 - things rolling right a long #2

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

The last thread was getting very long... moving on......

We came from here..... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070447/

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Mike. Thank you for that advise. When I was sent the seed I was told that I can put the name 'Sum & Substance' with an x after name and write seedling. I am excited to see what the babies will turn out to be. I will be putting them out in my very small woodland when they are big enough. I received several different pkts for small to large varieties of hostas.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Valley... i think that is what many do... because you at least know one of the parentage of the new seedlings. Just that it wont be a "true" S & S.

I will also have to make that notation with my seedlings... which i failed to do.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

tcs, I would not have known to do that except for the people that sent seed told me about why I needed to do that. There are so many helpful people here on DG. I have learned so much from just reading some of the threads. What a great bunch of people. Hope it stays that way. It was like finding a treasure when I found DG.
Today I will plant more WS seeds. : )
A friend from Church is coming over to see how to WS. She is excited about trying it.
I found out yesterday that I can direct sow peas now for our area. I was not having any luck with them so finally just quit trying to grow them. I wasn't planting them until the end of May. To late for here. : ) Looking forward to home grown peas this year.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Good luck Lynn! Spread the news! :-)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

jada, how is your WSing coming along?

Very Good Lynn! Thanks for asking. i checked everything this morning, they are all snow covered in the sun. I have 7 containers and now have a few jugs to do. In March i'll start the veggies , first time for those so we'll see how it goes ;-)

How are yours? Got enough seeds? Let me know if theres some you are looking for.

joyce

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

So far I have 17 varieties of tomatoes, Johnny Jump-Ups, yellow bleeding heart and Roscoea (hope I spelled that correctly). : )
Much more to plant. Have to make another run for milk jugs. : )
I have so many seeds, I don't know what to do with all of them. 153 kinds. That's a lot of milk jugs. : ) Some I may just direct sow. The cyclamen babies have been coming up everywhere (North side of house & in my small woodland). I can't believe how easy they are. Just takes them a long time. They are easy to distinguish from weeds. Some of the other things, not so easy. That's the ones I am WSing.
What are you growing?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I need to get my stuff going! I've been so out of it the past two weeks and then another cold snap came along and all I wanted to do was burrow under the electric blanket! LOL

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

stephanie, are you one of the areas in Texas that got hit with snow? It is so wet and cold here I don't want to get out in the yard either. So, I set a table up in the garage and that is where I have been doing my WS jugs. : ) I do have to go set them out in the yard though, that part is not fun. : ( But then I go in the house and get dried off and warmed up and look out the window and see more jugs out there just waiting to grow new plants. Big sighhhh. : )

Lynn, I planted cyclamen bulbs this fall for the first time. Will i see them this year?

My list is too long to put here but I found that columbines do well in a shady bed I have so i have about 12 diff ones ws to add there. I'm also trying some shrubs and plenty of rudbeckias. The only ones i wish I had are the tomatoe ones. i think "red tomatoe" or something like that. So 7 containers with 20-24 different ones in each, I think I have enough, ya think;-)

If they all germinate I wont have a lawn this year;-)

steph, what are you waiting for:-)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

You will definitely have enough. : )
I'm with you, just take out more lawn. That's what I have been doing the last two years. Less to mow and water. Most of what I have been planting, perrennials & shrubs, are draught tolerant. Our water here is so expensive. Go figure, PNW and all it's rain. Summers here are really dry though.
Is that E.'Tomato Soup'?
R. Irish Eyes and R. Indian Summer are absolutely beautiful. Wonder if they are as hardy as Goldstrum? Goldstrum has done so well for me in our wet winters it makes me want to try some of the others. I've also had great success with some of the Echinacea White Swan and Magnus. Not so good with E. Sunrise. The color is almost white and the plant is not very figorous. I think I will move the plant this Spring and see if that makes a difference.

Yea, thats it! Tomatoe Soup
I ws some noid trades and these:

Prairie sun
Chocolate Orange
Goldstrum
Green Wizard
Tequila sunrise
Don Elfers

Whats PNW?
I hope mine do as well as yours.Are any of yours in part shade?

I also have a lot of asters and daisys. Love daisys!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Tequila Sunrise & Tomato Soup are Echinacea.
Prairie Sun, Chocolate Orange, Goldstrum and Green Wizard are Rudbeckia. I'm not sure what the Don Elfers is. Both kinds are very hardy, love sun and are drought tolerant once established. I love them. : )
Some varieties don't come true from home gathered seeds.
Pacific North West =PNW : )
I find that they do better if in full sun. The one that is in part shade is the Echinacea Sundown, that is why I will move it this Spring and see if it does better in full sun. All the rest of my R's & E's are in full sun.
I have one daisy I got in a trade, nice healthy plant (came in Fall). I just checked it yesterday and it is alive. : ) I am really looking forward to it's flowers this summer. The only asters I have are our native ones. Very hardy and so pretty. I love them.

Ok. Thanks for sorting those out. They look a lot alike. I think they will look good together. i will put them in sun. Hope your daisy does well! Mine comes back and gets bigger and bigger.

I did some Johnny Jump ups too.We are going to have to share pics this spring:-)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

The R's & E's look wonderful together. I am looking forward to my Shasta Daisy blooming it's little heart out. : )
I love the Johnny Jump Ups. I have had them in the yard for about 8 years. I don't know how they do it, but I now have 4 or 5 different color combinations, all from the original pkt of seeds. They are so much fun.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We didn't get any snow, ice, or sleet, just COLD temps. I had to get some more soil. The stuff I have is too dry. Went and got that today after work, so I'm set to go now. I plan on starting some jugs tomorrow morning before I go in to work (at 1pm). I have an enclosed sunroom I can work in. It's not heated, but we have an electric heater in there I can use. I will have to water the soil in the jugs outside though.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

The dry cold is the worst on the plants. We had that the first part of Dec. Very unusual for us. Now it's wet and cold (not freezing however).
You are ready to go Stephanie. Happy planting. : )
I just went through seeds and sorted out another bunch to plant next (about 20 or so).

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I do need to get more jugs ready. I found a 33 gal bag full out in the garage! Woot!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

Goldmine. : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Stephanie... isn't that like Christmas?? I found a bag in my basement in Dec... had about 13 gallons.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It is like Christmas! I also found 5 or 6 that I used last year, so I'm going to clean those out and re-use them this year!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I would never try ws tomatoes in our zone..... what I have learned living in this zone is to start tomatoes inside on heat mat at the end of February. The growing season is so short here that if they don't get start then, there is barely enough time to get some tomatoes from the plant before frost hits again......

Nothing like gardening back home in Kentucky..... * ~ )

Janet

ps I suppose you could winter sow them after all danger of frost but it doesn't give you enough time to have a good crop of tomatoes.....

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking about how to store my 43 WS jugs after this is all over. I am not fond of spending the entire day over the hot burner with those phillips screwdrivers!

I've decided the best way is to actually cut through the remaining side, and stack the bottoms and the tops, then store away in the garbage bags.

This way, they won't get all crushed.

How do ya'll store yours?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8b)

I like your idea Gymgirl. Would also give me a big head start on planting next year. : )
Going to get more milk jugs today. YEAH!!!!! Times awasting. Gotta get busy. : )

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I recycle mine. since most of the tops get cut off, and some of the sides get cut to get the seedlings out .. 99% of mine are unusable. Plus... i really do not have room to store them. I do reuse the nursery pots... i just restack them and put them in the big Rubbermaid tote.

I'll re-attach my tops to my bottoms by making a hinge with some Duct tape on that one side. I'm going to try not to destroy too many jugs getting the seedlings out. If I just moisten the soil and dump 'em on their heads like Karen recommends, I shouldn't have to cut through too many that have separation anxiety...

Linda

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, I never tried it, but I don't think the top half will stack too well with that handle in the way. Never tried it though. I get rid of the jugs every year. I don't want any more junk around here and the jugs are easy enough to get.

Karen

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Could you stack them with the handles alternating sides and still keep them in one piece? Last year, I just threw mine in a big box. Didn't intend to reuse them, but "found" them when we were doing some cleaning and straightening. I did recycle most of them, though.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I finally got started with my wintersowing today! Got on a roll, and now have 70 containers on the deck. That had me feeling pretty good, till I started looking at all the seeds left to sow, LOL.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Neal: 70 in one day???

Karen

Getting the jugs IS the easy part...burning all those holes is another story....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That's your fault, Linda! Just poke with a knife or scissors. It takes me a couple of minutes to cut a jug and poke holes.

I use an old piece of scrap wood, been using the same piece for 5 years. It has several holes drilled in it. After I cut the jug open, I sit it on the wood. Poke scissors thru the jug and into the hollow space below formed by the drilled holes. Easy and quick.

You don't need to burn holes. It's very easy to stick a steak knife through a milk jug.

Karen

I burn my holes too. I like the holes circular and even. I cant tell if the slits let out too much water or if soil will also seep thru. It was harder to burn the holes in the containers than the jugs and the heat allowed for a quick hole in the thicker plastic.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

*THUD* 70, as in 7-0??? WOW!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

wow Neal.... what a days accomplishment.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

well, within the next few weeks, I'll be getting some of my almost 250 seeds started with the ws.

Would someone please stop me from collecting any more different seeds.... I've absolutely lost my mind when it comes to collecting seeds....... H e l p.............................. LOL

Janet

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I don't quite have 70 WS'd jugs, or anything close to what Linda has going on but I'm plugging right along. I have since moved my collection onto my deck in order to avoid the ants (stupid, oops), but originally had them along this fence for a coupla days because this area had the most sunlight. I'm really thankful to have learned this technique from all of you- this really changes everything.

So far, I have successfully WS'd Lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, swiss chard, and butterfly bush.

Here's a pic of my collection from mid-January...I've added a little more, though.

Thumbnail by JohnCrichton75
League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Two Margherita tomato plant seedlings.

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Red Sails lettuce, WS'd on 1/18/10.

Question: when would you transplant these?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images