Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Cats versus House Plants: cats var house plants

Communities > Forums > Article: Cats versus House Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cats versus House PlantsReplies: 3, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7518565

I keep a few moth balls in my house plants and the cats stay out of them. Yes the moth balls have an odor, but I found that after awile I don't notice it any more. But my house plants are safe and sound from cats and dogs. I also use them out side to keep animals out of my garden.
dordee
Silex, MO

April 23, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7731882

THEY ARE ALSO GOOD TO KEEP MICE/RATS OUT OF YOUR CAR.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7732220

I'll keep that in mind. I hadn't tried them for mice and rats. I wonder if it would work under the sink where I found evidence of mice last night. Might give it a try.
meganelaine
Chapel Hill, NC

March 7, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9033232

You might want to be careful - mothballs are very toxic if ingested. I assume most animals wouldn't want to eat them because they smell so awful, but never underestimate the willingness of a cat to endure eating something disgusting for the sake of novelty. One of mine is constantly eating things that aren't food and then throwing them up; I would not put it past him to eat a mothball.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cats versus House Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fun article Dutchlady1 6 Feb 5, 2008 5:11 PM
Great Job Lee Anne! plantladylin 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:35 PM
Your friend Slant..aka Rugcat rugcat 1 Jan 27, 2008 1:59 AM
cats and house plants hihosilver63 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:33 PM
Cats and plants baileyweb 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America