Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis: Cybister Capers

Communities > Forums > Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis
bookmark
Forum: Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllisReplies: 8, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7518736

Sue!
So here I was, treating myself to my morning coffee with this week's Dave's Garden on screen and congratulating myself on the bold baby steps of revitalizing three gift Hippeastrums from Yule of 2008 (the ubiquitous Red Lion et al) and lo, your article on the Cybister hybrids knocked me off my chair. Literally floored. Stunning. Am now on the hunt. Have to have a Chico...and a Merengue...and...and...

Am also toying with the notion of de-potting/de-housing my current Hipps and attempting to find a place for them outside in my US Zone 8b "rainy-side-of-the-mountains" Pacific Northwest garden. Is this a forlorn hope?

Thanks so very much for the jolt out of Hippeastrum complacency with tips on Cybisters!
Best to you, Katy
robertds
Gig Harbor, WA

February 1, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7519065

Katy,
I purchased 10 Hardy Hippeastrum (2 ea of 5 varieties) from Breck's last spring to add to my two Johnson's just to see how they would do on this side of the Sound. Each time I look at the Zone Map I get different zones. 7/8 or 8/7 or etc. It depends upon which map I look and when.

With the climate change, these things may stand a chance. I noticed a lot of people in this zone # who grow them outside. I have about half of the bulbs in the ground and about half in pots that I put in my garage. Only time will tell!

I also have 8 bulbs (including Red Lion) that are clearly marked indoor plants. Next year, I am going to try ensure they get pollenated and try seeds to get enough to experiment with.

Good luck and keep us posted as I will keep posting.

Bob
Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7521292

Bob,
Ah! A rainy side compatriot. Thanks very much for the input! After your reference to the Johnsonii's, I googled the subject and I apparently have got a lot to learn. Starting with not sacrificing my Red Lion and other non-hardies on an ill-fated outdoor experiment. Thanks to your lead, I'm changing gears to a hunt for Johnsoniis or Ackermanniis for my outside capers. Still lusting after a Cybister hybrid or two, as well, but that will be an exclusively indoor endeavor.

Again, thanks!
Best, Katy
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

February 2, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7521358

Thanks for your comments Katy and Bob. I've only been able to grow hippeastrums in the UK and Maine, so growing them outdoors has never been an option for me sadly. I so envy those lucky people who can have them in flower beds!

Sue
robertds
Gig Harbor, WA

August 16, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #8043087

It has been a while since I was on the board but I have not been so inactive outside.

RE: Amaryllis.

None of my amaryllis' that were planted outside last year survived, Katy. Not even the Johnsonii, even though I am not confident of the way that I planted them. I will try again to be sure.

One of the one's planted in pots and kept in my garage, not only survived but bloomed again. See below.

My list and the results of my experiment is:

Paris, Misty, Sweet Lilian, Apple Blossom, Neon Rose, Red Lion from American Meadows all inside bulbs placed outside to recover and recharge. Most have died. I either placed them outside too soon or it was too wet, or too cool this spring. Who knows. I really loved the Neon Rose. Beautiful! I liked the Apple Bloosom. Very cool. The Red Lion was pretty but... I am not sure if the others bloomed. I got them late and on sale.

Evergreen Amaryllis from Van Bourgondien. All I can say is WOW! It sent up two flower stalks this winter. I placed it outside at the same time as the others and it is in full bloom right now.

Breck's Hardy Amaryllis collection - I bought two sets of five varieties. Only a couple were what I ordered. I found out the story about the company after I bought the collection. The only one that is remarkable to me, I believe is Valentino. Was very pretty the first year, well most of them were. But it came back up again this year and bloomed again. Not a ton of blooms but at least it survived. Three others sprouted and broke the surface; however, only the one bloomed and has any chance of surviving the summer, IMO. My opinion may change next year.

I am attaching a picture of the Evergreen in my yard, eight flowers on the stalk. I put it in the shade. My worry is that it is going to exhaust itself and die.

Thumbnail by robertds
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2010
9:50 PM

Post #8044435

Bob,
I really appreciate your follow-up input on the outdoor amaryllis thing! The tip regarding the Van Bourgondien evergreens is a great one, and your white specimen is an enchanter. EIGHT blooms?! In the shade? My heaviest indoor bloomer has never produced more than four. Will look into evergreen varieties, and avoid Breck's offerings, but these hippys are so stunning that I find myself edging back away from the possibility of condemning them to death-by-Pac-Nort. Am determined to add some exotics to my gaggle of Christmas gifted usuals (photo of Minerva below), but will probably whimp out and ensconce them in pots indoors so I can guarantee their environment.

On the other hand, this was a very strange growing year, so if your next attempts pan out...

Again, thanks very much for the follow-up!
Best, Katy

Thumbnail by Caedi25

robertds
Gig Harbor, WA

August 17, 2010
10:12 PM

Post #8046764

Sorry Katy,
That is not as good as a picture as I thought it was before I put it on line. The white is a very pale green with the darker green being a very light green.

I have looked through my older pictures and found this one that actually gives a better representation of the color.

It has been in the shade since our first very hot spell... in the spring. I put it in the shade to protect it more. It had been on my wooden deck, in full sun and it was getting pretty dry so I moved it only to keep it a bit cooler and I have an automatic sprinkler that waters it twice a week plus during this time, I water it in the afternoon now that it is in the 80's. I have got to get out and cut off the blooming stock and give it a shot of fertilizer. Those are the only leaves that it has ever had. I think it needs more leaves. It's name is "Evergreen" but I am not sure it is evergreen. I will let you know more as I attempt to not kill it. Notice that it's first attempt was five blossoms. Other than being worried about it's leaves, it has been a pleasure to grow.

Thumbnail by robertds

Caedi25
Kirkland, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #8053829

Bob,
Your second photo has nudged me from enchanted to have-to-have. I googled the VonBourgondien website and found your Evergreen. Gorgeous green goddess. Will take the plunge. And will look to the heat and direct sun issues, as well. Our south and west facing wooden deck is also a hot spot. Great for growing tomatoes, cuccs, onions and peppers in wine barrels, but would crisp a hippy to flinders. Please do keep me up on your Evergreen adventure. Will help immeasurably with mine!

Also, what is the pink hippy in your second photo?

Best, Katy
robertds
Gig Harbor, WA

August 30, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #8071746

Katy,
At this point, I am not sure. I bought a couple of pinks and that one was the best. I may be wrong but Apple Blossom comes to mind.

It may also be a Neon Pink but I don't think so.

I have been slow to get back to this board. I have been working on a project, then my computer crashed.

Bob

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Move on with Cybister amaryllis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Keukenhof! NEILMUIR1 2 Jan 29, 2010 6:28 AM
Happy Hippys peteklat 3 Feb 1, 2010 10:02 PM
Cybister Julegaut 0 Feb 2, 2010 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America