Photo by Melody

Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow: Cutting Spaghetti Squash

Communities > Forums > Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to growReplies: 7, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Vavoom
Woodinville, WA

February 1, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7519026

Don't mess around with trying to cut a spaghetti squash. It's so dangerous! Do what I did. Take it outside and place it on the chopping block and give it one chop with the axe! Really works much better and no one gets hurt.
Aunt_A

February 2, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7520544

Vavoom,

One easy answer. But how do you keep it clean?

One of the other threads mentions poking holes in the squash and baking it for an hour. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

February 2, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7523690

You don't have to cook a squash for an hour to make it easier to cut, five or ten minutes in the oven is plenty; just poke holes in it with a knife or skewer, where you plan to cut it anyway. Plus, I've cut plenty of squashes open without softening 'em up first -- I just use a really big, stout knife! Here's a hint: Cut the squash across the middle, not along the length.

And, Vavoom, using an axe on your squash can be more dangerous than using a knife. Think about trying to get all the dirt and crud out of the squash when one (or both) half-section goes flying...

"sketti squash -- natures pasta!
Aunt_A

February 3, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #7523985

NordicFletch,

You seem very knowledgeable re: spaghetti squash. How many different ways do you cook them? (for example, some like butter, salt and pepper. Some like cheese w/ butter, some like spaghetti sauce).

thanks for reading and commenting!
wishnwell
Houston, TX

February 3, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7525955

Butternut is my favorite of all squashes, even of all veggies. It, too, is difficult for me to cut or pare, so I prepare it as I had read some time ago: I poke holes in it, wrap it entirely in plastic wrap, then microwave on high for about 12 minutes. Then I easily cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then the squash. Often the neck needs more cooking to be soft enough to mash. I then mash it, add a very little butter and coarse-ground pepper, sometimes some cinnamon, and usually I finish it off with a few minutes' baking and -- yum! I'm not sure why microwaving is not a good idea...it's faster, easier, and you don't lose nutrients to water. I think I have read some articles saying microwaving destroys nutrients. If anyone knows of this for sure, I'd love to hear from you.
Aunt_A

February 4, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7527507

wishnwell,

Love those Butternut squash w/ real butter, salt and course-ground pepper!

When I was a teenager, I bought one of the very first microwaves for my parents. They were big, leaked waves and were quite expensive, especially for a teenager. I grew to hate the food cooked in one. I didn't like the taste or the texture. I also heard Paul Harvey tell a few stories about microwaves. One was about a bunch of kittens...half were feed microwaved milk and the other half were feed non-microwaved milk. The micro-milk kittens either died or were malnurished. He also told a story that I'll never forget about worms that were still alive after a fish was cooked in the micro. Add it all together and I rarely use a microwave anymore. I don't know how true any of this is; I have not researched it. I have also heard (I think) Dr. Oz say that you should not microwave in any sort of plastic, including plastic wrap. I think he said to use that other waxy type of wrap. Anyway, once again, not researched. Just repeating.

Let's have some bright orange Butternut squash! Yummy!
Aunt_A

February 4, 2010
2:43 AM

Post #7527510

P.S. Thanks for reading and commenting!
amygirl
Miami, FL

October 29, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9318647

I have the produce guy at my grocery store cut the squash ...much safer that way!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you plant the seeds? bolino 6 Feb 2, 2010 11:52 PM
spaghetti squash article joeswife 14 Oct 29, 2012 4:37 PM
wow... thanks Catrscr 1 Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Quick meal Gardennot 2 Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM
The Only Thing That Grew in My Garden! RxAngel 2 Feb 3, 2010 1:13 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America