Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow: Cutting Spaghetti Squash

Communities > Forums > Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow
Forum: Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to growReplies: 7, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
Woodinville, WA

February 1, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7519026

Don't mess around with trying to cut a spaghetti squash. It's so dangerous! Do what I did. Take it outside and place it on the chopping block and give it one chop with the axe! Really works much better and no one gets hurt.

February 2, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7520544

One easy answer. But how do you keep it clean?

One of the other threads mentions poking holes in the squash and baking it for an hour. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Stanchfield, MN

February 2, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7523690

You don't have to cook a squash for an hour to make it easier to cut, five or ten minutes in the oven is plenty; just poke holes in it with a knife or skewer, where you plan to cut it anyway. Plus, I've cut plenty of squashes open without softening 'em up first -- I just use a really big, stout knife! Here's a hint: Cut the squash across the middle, not along the length.

And, Vavoom, using an axe on your squash can be more dangerous than using a knife. Think about trying to get all the dirt and crud out of the squash when one (or both) half-section goes flying...

"sketti squash -- natures pasta!

February 3, 2010
1:16 AM

Post #7523985

You seem very knowledgeable re: spaghetti squash. How many different ways do you cook them? (for example, some like butter, salt and pepper. Some like cheese w/ butter, some like spaghetti sauce).

thanks for reading and commenting!
Houston, TX

February 3, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7525955

Butternut is my favorite of all squashes, even of all veggies. It, too, is difficult for me to cut or pare, so I prepare it as I had read some time ago: I poke holes in it, wrap it entirely in plastic wrap, then microwave on high for about 12 minutes. Then I easily cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then the squash. Often the neck needs more cooking to be soft enough to mash. I then mash it, add a very little butter and coarse-ground pepper, sometimes some cinnamon, and usually I finish it off with a few minutes' baking and -- yum! I'm not sure why microwaving is not a good's faster, easier, and you don't lose nutrients to water. I think I have read some articles saying microwaving destroys nutrients. If anyone knows of this for sure, I'd love to hear from you.

February 4, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7527507

Love those Butternut squash w/ real butter, salt and course-ground pepper!

When I was a teenager, I bought one of the very first microwaves for my parents. They were big, leaked waves and were quite expensive, especially for a teenager. I grew to hate the food cooked in one. I didn't like the taste or the texture. I also heard Paul Harvey tell a few stories about microwaves. One was about a bunch of kittens...half were feed microwaved milk and the other half were feed non-microwaved milk. The micro-milk kittens either died or were malnurished. He also told a story that I'll never forget about worms that were still alive after a fish was cooked in the micro. Add it all together and I rarely use a microwave anymore. I don't know how true any of this is; I have not researched it. I have also heard (I think) Dr. Oz say that you should not microwave in any sort of plastic, including plastic wrap. I think he said to use that other waxy type of wrap. Anyway, once again, not researched. Just repeating.

Let's have some bright orange Butternut squash! Yummy!

February 4, 2010
2:43 AM

Post #7527510

P.S. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Miami, FL

October 29, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9318647

I have the produce guy at my grocery store cut the squash ...much safer that way!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you plant the seeds? bolino 6 Feb 2, 2010 11:52 PM
spaghetti squash article joeswife 14 Oct 29, 2012 4:37 PM
wow... thanks Catrscr 1 Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Quick meal Gardennot 2 Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM
The Only Thing That Grew in My Garden! RxAngel 2 Feb 3, 2010 1:13 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America