Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Hardy Geraniums-which is your favorite?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 44, Views: 559
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
1:10 AM

Post #7520328

I just purchased some dinner plate dahlias and want some geraniums at their feet to beautifiy and cover the stems. Any and all suggestions will be most welcome!

These are my choices:

g. maculatum Expresso 2.00
Brookside 2.00
Patricia 2.50
Johnson's Blue 2.00
Memories 3.75
Biokovo 2.00
Sateene 3.75
Double Jewel 5.00
Karmina 1.50
Phillipe Vapelle 2.50
Rozanne 4.75
Alice 3.00
Purple Pillow 3.40
Springtime 3.50
Hocus Pocus 5.00
New Hampshire Purple 2.50
Splish Splash 2.00
Elke 2.50
Max Frei 2.50
Striatum 2.50
Sanguineum 2.50
Blue Blood 3.75

I own a few Johnson's blue and Rozanne but anyone else recommend any of these? I live near Chicago, zone 5a and it's cold so I need a strong plant.
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7644705

I love Johnson's Blue and Rozanne. Rozanne has a longer bloom time than JB, but I like JB better when it's in bloom (and the foliage looks great after you cut it back when it's done blooming). Both are great geraniums.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7644706

I will be watching this thread... looking to add a few to my garden as well
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7662711

I bought a few off that above list. It was from a gardening co-op. I just planted some Springtime, Purple Pillow, and brookside in bareroots. All at a great price. I can't wait till is warms up to enjoy them.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7678800

I've grown Biokovo and loved it--finally died out after 6 years but it was a beauty and tended to stay in one place and not seed.

Just got some bareroot Double Jewel and Springtime. Springtime has roots but the D. Jewel look like little dirt clumps--can't tell where the top is:lol: Any advice on planting them? I'm sort of new to the bareroot thing with geraniums.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 9:12 AM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7678885

I am new too.. no help
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7711158

What are the numbers beside each name? Price you paid? I never knew there was such a thing as any other type of geraniums except the annuals we always see. A new gardening friend is supposed to bring me one tomorrow but I don't know which variety. I'm looking forward to having it, will it bloom this year?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7711244

The numbers are the prices, ususally that low indicates that they are grower's plug sized and will require a bit of growing out and care once received. Buying in a group buy at those smaller sizes/lower prices allow for all of us gardening addicts to buy plants we can't find in our area or that may be a bit spendy in the larger sizes sold in nurseries.

Look in Plant Files for Hardy Geraniums--plenty of them:) Depending on the size of the one your friend is giving you and if it was dug carefully it could easily bloom this season.
Hope that helps a little--not an expert but always learning:lol:
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7727408

Sorry I haven't been back here in a while-the weather warmed up and I recvd about 50 plants in the mail that I bought through co-ops. That's a whole lot of digging! The numbers next to the plants were the prices they were offered at. These plants were bareroot but very generous. They have been in the ground a few weeks now and some are already a few inches tall. Depending ont he plant you can get blooms the first season. Geraniums do very well for me and I have gotten blooms the first year from bareroot stock.

The geranium I am looking for now it called either "Tiny monster" of "little monster" (something like that I saw it in a magazine). Anyone have experience with this one?

BTW: There are other co-op besides Daves . . .
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7762957

Hi, Mothermole~~good luck with your new plants! I am wondering where you found such a nice selection of hardy geraniums for so little $$ too?!

I will say that you are smart to check out the differences between them since they don't all grow in the same environments. Some are 'woodland' types, others require excellent drainage in maybe a rock garden type setting or along a sidewalk.

One not on your list that I love is 'Jolly Bee'. It's very much like Brookside (some say it's the same plant) but Jolly Bee seems more floriforous and stronger. I plant this one among my daylilies and it might be nice with your dahlias.

I know a few on your list I would stay away from if you want a strong plant. One is Purple Pillow~~very tender and petite.

Biokova is pretty hardy for us. Also Karmina. MaxFrie is a great compact plant and makes a nice edger along a sidewalk or wall. I don't know why this one isn't more available. I have divided all of these for more plants.

Hocus Pocus & Phillipe vatelle both died out on me fairly soon. Splish Splash (blooms are white and pale blue violet striped in our garden) is OK but nothing too special in our garden. I have it planted among iris with blue/purple in the bloom for a color echo. I have split it a couple of times for more plants.

I started some common geraniums from seed (wintersowing) a couple of years ago and although they aren't too special they do provide a bit of ground cover. I use them in the woodland garden. Don't know the provenance on these anymore.

And I have one common geranium (cranesbill type) that is a 'workhorse' in the garden for when I need to fill a hole quickly but I don't recall the ID. Some would say it's invasive and it is, but I just keep moving the plantlings around to holding areas until I need them. A long lasting flower.

Here's an interesting article about geraniums from Paul Young in the UK: http://www.english-gardening.com/Plants/hardy_geraniums.htm
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7773572

Tabasco: I enjoyed your post. I own all the ones you discussed but some are new this year and I will have to wait and see how they do in my garden.
I bought these on the Yahoo.com co-op (do a yahoo search for this site) - BnPCo-opBuying
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7773575

Tabasco: I enjoyed your post. I own all the ones you discussed but some are new this year and I will have to wait and see how they do in my garden.
I bought these on the Yahoo.com co-op (do a yahoo search for this site) - BnPCo-opBuying

How about Orion and Ann Folkard? I was thinking about getting these- any comments?

Linda
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7775751

Thanks for the info about the Yahoo co-ops. I will look them up. Don't forget to tell us about your 50 new plants and the Geraniums you decided upon.

~~I like hardy geraniums but don't find that they are too popular/available in the States (UK gardeners are wild about them it seems.) I do see them listed in more catalogs in recent years. For us they are a great garden plant, especially with daylilies, and the hummingbirds will visit them in spring when not much else is in bloom for them. Butterflies too.

I love 'Orion' a lot and grow it around my daylilies that have a little purple in them. I would say Orion is not so 'blue' but more on the purple side in our garden, anyway.

'Anne Folkard' I can't say much about~~I had it once in our garden but it probably got too much water during winter and died out for me.

When I started growing Hardy Geraniums (about 7 years ago) I ordered a bunch from geraniaceae.com

http://geraniaceae.com/bin/listPlants.cgi?major=Geraniums&minor=Scramblers and Crawlers

and I lost a lot of them because I didn't place them very well in the garden~~too much sun, not enough sun, too much water, winter wetness rotted them, and other inexperienced gardener treatments killed off some of the more delicate ones. Every different one seemed to require a different setting.

I find it is a bit of a challenge to grow the ones that have 'mediterranean' heritage because we experience a lot of winter wetness from the rains here (not a lot of snow) and they rot. We do best with the ones that like part shade because we have lots of trees. Otherwise it's difficult to 'site' them properly.

Well, your thread has gotten me excited about them again and I've been looking through the online seed sources to see if I could grow some more (like pgt who has such pretty ones). I usually buy the plants from local nurseries and wait to find them onsale. (I'm cheap).

Sorry I went on so long. Too much information, I'm sure. (-:

woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7795582

Today, my favorite is Samobor. The flower is small,but it makes a large mound and I love the dark spotted foliage.
Pam

Thumbnail by woodthrush
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7873768

Wood: Samobor is pretty. Is that a current picture of how it looks in spring? Interesting . . .

Tabas: I have Orion and Ann F. on my wish list. Perhaps I should take Ann off . . . BTW: My mother-in-law lives in England and they do have geraniums but there isn't a ton of "types" available in their largest retailers. My M-I-L has them in her garden but has no clue what type they are. Their weather is pretty great for all geraniums. A bit of rain nearly every day, and overcast (not too much direct sun). I still want that "Monster" one. I may have to break down and get it online. I have planted all my geraniums and figured out afterwards I didn't "site" them exactly right and have to shuffle some around. I am still planting a lot of plants up that I bought through the mail . . . Never enough time . . .
LolaGypsy
Lilburn, GA

June 9, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7873794

Hi,

In England you have to hunt for small nurseries that specialize in less known plants. Yes, the english are crazy about the hardy geraniums as well as the pelargoniums.:o)

It is an incredible place for plant lovers!!!
LolaGypsy
Lilburn, GA

June 9, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7873811

just found this pic of Ann Folkard, one of my favourites!

http://www.joycreek.com/172-049.htm

This message was edited Jun 9, 2010 9:36 PM
woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA
(Zone 4a)

June 9, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7873936

Yes, that's Samobar this year, three years old.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
2:38 AM

Post #7906780

Oh, no, don't take Ann Folkard off your list. Just requires careful siting. It looks like one of those that loves impeccable drainage or at least needs to be near a sidewalk. Don't really know...but it looks pretty, doesn't it?

Yes, I love how the English are such wonderful 'plantsmen/women' and really appreciate the nuances of gardening and are so good at it too. We lived in England for a few years and owned a home there for many years (my DH did a lot of work in London & UK so made many trips over) so although I didn't garden much myself, my friends were crazy for gardening and I learned a bit just by being around them and their wonderful gardens. I still love Chiltern Seeds and they offer a lot of different hardy geranium seeds I see.

Our hardy geraniums are blooming their heads off right now and I think this is one of the best years for them. Want to find other varieties at the garden center (only on sale though!) Maybe will try Ann Folkard again.

Happy gardening. t.
Noelle216
Bayside, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7919651

I have 7 wonderful periwinkle-blue/violet "Jolly Bee" which are constantly in bloom from May to hard frost (zone 7a). If I don't prune them, they can spread to 4' x 4' each, so don't space these too close to other plants. "Jolly Bee" is a tough plant that loves full sun, tolerates some drought, and handles sub-zero weather without mulch. I'm trying "Rozanne" and "Johnson's Blue" this year. I used to have "Patricia", "New Hampshire Purple", and "Sanguineum", but I gave them away because their bloom time is shorter or intermittent.

Every plant in my small garden must work hard, or it's gone...!

This message was edited Sep 30, 2010 3:59 PM
Illig1
Redwood City, CA

July 11, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7961532

Ann Folkards and Rozannes are my very favorite geraniums. Rozannes are total workhorses and very reliable, while Ann Folkard is less reliable, sometimes remaining quite smally and wimpy. But when it's happy, it's a fantastic.

Mavis Simpson is a clear pink, vigorous geranium when grown in good conditions. I don't know it's hardiness level, though.

I'm sure Geraniacae will have Little Monster.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 13, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7966409

I love this thread! I acquired a lot of Geraniums this summer but as you all know most plants kinda sit there the first year. Next year I should have some good info on the plants (at least I hope I will). I still want that little monster . . .
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7977375

Hi All;
I am new to this forum, i just ordered some ger. from the place you people refer to. I have never ordered these kind of plants before,as i had never seen so many different kinds, i was thrilled, I seen some advertised on ebay & thats what got me started. they advertised bird dancer,so cute,but i did not want to buy on ebay as they were from canada & i hate, hate hate to wait. So i found some plants, like carlton's pansy, & a few others & ordered them. can't wait to get them, now i am going to grow these on my windowsill.not outside, i do have some outside, but these are small & stay small. so anyway, i just want to thank you all for helping me find these plants. i will post again when i get them.I also grow gesneraids under lights, those are african violets & there large family.
Mrsbonnie
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8299139

Poking into various forums for a look-see. I have a variety of geraniums under a grape arbor, and have scattered them throughout my perennial beds as well. Such nice plants. My favorite is renardii with its velvety leaves.

Thumbnail by bonehead

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8299165

ooohh I like that one
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8326151

No one's mentioned "Orkney Cherry" - new to me last year, but one of my favorites as it doesn't stop blooming until winter. It's a very low creeper with small leaves and flowers, but multitudes of bright deep pink flowers - or maybe you'd call them cherry colored. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to make seeds.

I have to agree with what's been said about "Purple Pillow" and it's true for all geranium cinereums I've tried and killed off. They really do need excellent drainage and can be killed off easily , though they're some of the more beautiful ones.

I also love the sanguineums and their bright magenta flowers.

I do suggest you go to geraniaceae.com and have a look. I bought a bunch of different ones there last year. She has a great selection and the prices are very reasonable.
mlmlakestevens
Lake Stevens, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8369259

I have had a Geranium x magnificum for three years. It's in a bad spot- clay builders rubble, doesn't get much water, full sun (near Seattle). The plant does great anyway- for 3-4 weeks late spring it is covered with gorgeous violet flowers. Then if I don't whack off all the leaves it flops pretty bad. If I do cut them off the leaves grow back nicely. Truly an easy care plant. It doesn't grow into nearby flowers like some Geraniums.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8369263

I have grown the following of your choices for three years or more. My climate is a couple of zones lower than yours, so you wouldn't have trouble with them surviving the winters. We can count on good snow cover here, but it does get pretty cold before the snow comes in some years.

Brookside 2.00

Johnson's Blue 2.00

Biokovo 2.00

Double Jewel 5.00

Phillipe Vapelle 2.50
Rozanne 4.75

Purple Pillow 3.40
Karmina 1.50

New Hampshire Purple 2.50 from seed

Striatum 2.50
Sanguineum 2.50
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8514301

I never knew about hardy geraniums! I am on a search now!!!!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8614522

Crit-Oh they are just awesome -AWESOME plants. They are the gift that keeps on giving over and over and over again. Whenever someone tours my gardens there is usually a few questions about the various hardys-everyone falls in love with them and then are so surprised when they find out that they are all in the same group of plants. The plants I planted last year have just taken off like crazy. They look amazing! I did buy my tiny monster (okay three of them) and they may be small-ish but I can't wait for their "show"!

Bonehead: I never heard of your geranium-very nice leaves . . .
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8614659

Mothermole, since you planted many last year, what are your favorites of those?
pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8615092

perennialme,
after looking at that "Orkney Cherry" I HAVE TO HAVE SOME! What a gorgeous plant.
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8616432

Great thread! I started a Hardy Geranium garden in 2005 and have many vatieties. I have a lot of favorites, but for this cold wet spring three (all varieties of Geranium phaeum) are Springtime (in the picture), Samobor, and Lily Lovell. This thread has been going for some time but for mothermole and others in IL there is a plant evaluation note from the Chicago Botanic Garden posted on line. Richard Hawke, Plant Evaluation Manager posted Issue No. 22 (2004) which is an evaluation of Hardy Geraiums for Northern Gardens by CBG. Excellent information. By next week my Blue Cloud plants will be in early flower and hard to beat. This one was top rated by CBG.
Lee

Thumbnail by OwlCreekGarden

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8624576

Lee-Explain the Chicago Botanical evaluation-is it here at Daves or on their site?

Also, Blue Cloud-is that a geranium?
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8625663

mothermole - The Geranium evaluation is not on Daves site as far as I know. It is on the CBG site. Try this address:
http://www.chicagobotanic.org/downloads/planteval_notes/no22_geraniums.pdf
Or search: 'Hardy Geraniums for Northern Gardens' Richard Hawke
Yes Blue Cloud is a Hardy Geranium. I'll post a picture latter today.
Lee
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8625843

Blue Cloud plant picture 061211. A dull cloud covered day.

My plants are 24 in. H x 50 in W.

OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8625852

Geranium 'Blue Cloud'

My flowers are all about 1.75 in.
Lee

OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8625868

More on Geranium 'Blue Cloud'
The plant picture I posted is of a plant that is just beginning to bloom. There are lots of buds and it will reach 60% + cover with blooms in a week. For unkown reasons my plants do not fit the usual description. Flowers are larger as is the plant. Growth rate is fast not slow so that rebloom following cutback is fairly rapid. It also is very hardy in cold soggy wet soil here in zone 8. Enough - way too much sorry.
Lee
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8630656

Owlcreekgarden, and others, where do you purchase your geraniums? I don't seem to find a huge selection around.

My favorites so far are the ground covers, like Biokovo and Karmina, but I sure love Samobor. That seeds all around for me.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8630823

I really like those. Think I'd like to get some of those started in my gardens! Pretty!
OwlCreekGarden
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8636401

pollyk: I get many of my hardy geraniums at "geraniaceae". the web address is somewhere above in this thread. Very good plants. I am posting a new favorite, season counts in to this. This one is 'Magnificum' a large plant when grown in full sun and lots of room and lives up to its name. Smaller when grown in the shade or crowded. This is a hardy plant here in the Willamette Valley It is a hybrid and is sterile (no seed). This plant is 5 years old. Penny is giving me the what for because I didn't brush her good before taking the picture.

pgt
Chalfont, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8636485

I just received 3 geraniums for geraniacea, and they are great. Nice healthy plants with lots of roots. I'll definitely be ordering from them again.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8637200

Thanks, that looks like a good company. I'll give them a try.

Penny is cute!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8638245

Pretty Penny. She still smiled for the camera!

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8678690

I love Samobor because it gets so big so quickly. It seems to bloom earlier than the shorter pink and blue such as Johnson's Blue. I like that it self seeds so well. I also like the deep burgundy color and the burgundy stripe on the foliage. It has been very successful here.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America