Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Weather: February Weather - Did the Groundhog see his shadow?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 175, Views: 826
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7521809

Good morning! I thought I'd get this started for us, but I don't have time to comment on anything. I'll be back this afternoon!
(photo from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Closeup_groundhog.jpg)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7521928

Well, I sure got something started when I remarked about the directions in which rivers flow but we are all agreed, I believe, that they do run downhill. LOL
Marylyn: I sure hope the groundhog didn't see his shadow because I do not want 6 more weeks of winter!! LOL
Joey: thanks! :o)) It seems you are warmer today than yesterday morning!
Kiska's DH had surgery on his foot but he is home now. Jackie, I sure hope that Frank gets better every day! Give him our regards!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~waving to everyone.

Today: Partly cloudy. High of 52F
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 32F. Winds light and variable.
Tomorrow: Some clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High 52F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7521986

Happy Ground Hog day!!

I'm baaack! LOL! Here's what's been going on. You know I've been on facebook. I have reconnected with around 70 old friends that I went to school with from kindergaten up. Some I have not seen or spoken to in 30 years, others up to 36 years. It has been an amazing experience. We are planning a mini reunion sometime in June in Bellaire. That's what has been going on.

I plan on doing a lot of catching up here. I need to get back up to speed. Our temps have been anywhere from 25* to 80*. We're on our 3rd day of rain, nothing crazy, just a good soaker.

I'm at work now, don't tell anyone, but I wil check back in later today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7522058

As for the Ground Hog...
Stew at My place... 6:30 PM ... Casual Dress... BYOB... Hot Tub opens at 8 PM

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7522096

Don I spent the first 33 1/2 years of my 37 years in Modesto.

What a cutie Music!!

Currently At 8:52AM
Cloudy
38F
RealFeel
39F
Winds: WSW
at 3mph
Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 34 F
Pressure: 30.15 in
Visibility: 6 Miles

Today
Cloudy in the morning...becoming partly sunny. Highs in the lower 50s. North winds 5 mph.

Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 5 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7522485

I, too, am waving at everyone!!!

Good to see you again, Sharon. We missed you! So fun to find and catch up with old friends.

Ric, I'm on my way! LOL I don't know if I want any "Groundhog Day stew."

34.4 F with 43 for the high. It got to 46 yesterday and I got some of the dead stuff cleared out of the front bed. The cats enjoyed the sun, too.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 15 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.07 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Spring needs to make an appearance soon!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7522511

Hi all and thanks for the new threads I've followed to catch up.
Welcome, Don. Great place to be is right here seeing the weather/photos and friends worldwide.
20*F
Sunrise: 9:16
Sunset: 5:05
Gain of daylight today: 5m 30 sec.
Hope the bad luck run is ending and that those that have been sick are feeling better.
We've been getting ready for DH foot surgery w/getting the house safer for him as he'll be on crutches for about 2 months, if not longer. After the right foot heals, the left foot will have the same surgery. Excuse the copy/paste, but sure is convenient:))
" Yesterday my DH had surgery we'd scheduled. It's for bone/spur/Achellies tendon problem. We went to Anchorage for it and it went well. He'll be on crutches for a couple of months, and then, the left foot will have the same surgery. We've been busy w/Dr. appts and getting the house and van ready for this, so have been away ahile.
Our daughter came w/us to Anchorage, and our son came to the house to help get DH settled. Long recovery ahead, but at the end, we plan to be hiking on nearby Hatcher Pass by summer's end".
Note how small the left foot, (white sock), looks compared the "trophy bandage".
Thanks so much marsue-I was not sure just when I could post again. He's now been awake, had breakfast, and is again resting.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 2, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7522526

love that bright pic, kwanjin.
As a side-note, today is the first offical day of Alaska's answer to "ground-hog" day. It's our "Marmot Day" today.
A pic I took last summer of a Marmot up at Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
5:15 PM

Post #7522535

Kiska, I know waaaay more than I want to about foot surgeries, having had 5 myself. My sympathies to him!

We lived in WY for a year and had a marmot living under the house. He was hard to remove!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7522974

Early spring here, as per Mr. Groundhog. That would bejust awesome since we really got ripped off last spring.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7523033

In Bellaire, Sharon?? Cool! We need to get together! :-)

I think I'll pass on the stew, Ric, but the hot tub sounds good. LOL

Poor Frank... My mom had that surgery a long time ago, and the recovery is NOT fun. It was worth it in the end, though. :-)

Ok, gotta run again... I hate days when I don't know if I'm coming or going!!!

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 2, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7523133

All of the things that go on, we could start our own reality show. We'd call it "The Peeps", of course.

Kiska, I hope your DH gets to feeling better soon. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't walk (besides get even fatter).

Someone a few days ago - I think it was E_B - asked if I use a neti pot. I have something along those lines and I use it when my nose feels dry, but maybe I should use it every day. It can't hurt. Anyway, I think my cold is pretty much done. Since last Friday, I have been very itchy. I get that way from dry air, but this isn't going away with lotion and humidifier. Then I thought maybe it was soy milk or walnuts, both of which I got at the store on Thursday and both of which I don't use very often. However, it's been 24 hours now since I last ate either and I am still somewhat itchy. I think that maybe it is an excessive buildup of either termite spray or window sealant. I have opened a bunch of windows to air out the house and the swelling of my lips and tongue has gone down. (Nothing dangerous there, just abnormal). I feel like soaking my whole self in a vat of warm oil.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PST on February 02, 2010
62 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind: 5 mph from the South

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
1:01 AM

Post #7523955

30s and sunny today. Probably low 30s since it felt cold.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7524884

Dark, 36 yesterdays snow gave way to last nights rain, at least it is not cold enough to freeze.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7524963

Good morning! We got another 2" of snow yesterday & the temp hung aroung 30 for the most part of the day. It gradually rose & by 9:00pm is was up to 35. Right now...
Cloudy: 37F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 75%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 13 mph W
Sunrise: 7:25 AM
Sunset: 5:50 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Marylyn, Thanks for the new thread! :D
Mau, It it has warmed up considerably! ;) But I think that we are in for a doozy come Friday. Sleet & snow on Friday, changing to all snow on Saturday. It's odd how all the snow (or most of it) is hitting on the week ends. :)
Dyson? Did the 'dancing' help? :)
Ric, How was the stew? Sorry I didn't make it! ;)
Sharon! There you are! It's great that you are reconnecting w/ old 'buds'. :D How are Jeff & the boys? and your precious 'poochies'?
Kelli! That sounds like a Major reaction to something! :-O Please take care & I hope you figure out what has caused it.
Kiska, I hope Frank recovers quickly. It will be great to go hiking again w/ no pain! ;) Thinking of you all as Frank heals...
Celia! ~~~waving~~~

The local groundhog (Concord Charlie) did not see his shadow! So you all know what that means! ;)

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7525455

Way to go Concord Charlie!

Looks like THAT GH is seeing his shadow! lol!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7525475

Kiska my goodness that's some bandage! Wishing him a quick recovery.

I wonder if we have a local groundhog, but it wouldn't matter because it was pretty sunny here yesterday.

Currently At 8:43AM
Intermittent Clouds
30F
RealFeel
36F
Winds: CLM
at 0mph
Clouds And Sun
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 28 F
Pressure: 30.32 in
Visibility: 4 Miles

Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of freezing fog in the morning. Highs in the mid 40s. Northeast winds 5 mph in the morning... becoming east in the afternoon.

Tonight
Cloudy. A slight chance of rain after midnight. Lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. The chance of precipitation 20 percent after midnight. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7525535

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Feb 3, 8:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

28 F
(-2 C)
Humidity: 92 %
Wind Speed: E 5 MPH
Barometer: 30.29" (1026.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 26 F (-3 C)
Wind Chill: 23 F (-5 C)
Visibility: 4.00 mi.

Rusty and JuJu playing in my room... While I'm on computer! lol...
JuJu's today 3 months old...Growing too fast!

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7525758

Juju is certainly getting big. I think she's twice the size than when you got her.

Joey, JW is just the cutest little guy!

Sharon, ditto to what Kiska said, plus, Gary. How is he these days?

33.4 F with 40 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 33 F
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 23 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7525794

Rusty, that's so cute! Happy 3 months, Juju!
Jackie, give my well wishes to Frank and tell him I'm praying for a quick healing. Sending you both hugs!
Sharon, that's so cool to meet your ex-colleagues on Facebook! I found one of my ex-colleagues through a DG friend!
Joey, JW is such a beautiful kid! Glad you could take a picture of your doggie too!

Still very cold here, but the sun comes out during the day and it's warmer. Beautiful sunset yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7525797

Aweee, what a pretty little bird!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7525812

He's a downy woodpecker, Adina. He comes by every once in awhile.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 3, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7525894

Aweee, Celia...like he says : OK, you found me down here too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7525906

Ooooooo! I love that pic!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7525963

Today DSL kicks in, so I won't have a computer till the new ones come and are hooked up. So, I need to do my business and get off the computer. I'll crawl into a cocoon and emerge as a butterfly in a week or so :o) See you all then!!!

17 and sunny. Nice with no breeze. We have an inch of snow on the ground again.

Cat TV.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7526270

Oh, good luck, Sally!

Cat TV...(snort!)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7526434

Oh how cute! I just love the ki ki pics!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7526519

LOL!

Love to watch the cats after they've been holed up for a few weeks.

We had snow spitting all day.

Worked outside cutting lumber for the new SR Project.

36 and the Pond is about thawed out.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 3, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7526871

18*F freezing fog/looks beautiful on the trees and snow.
Thanks for the well wishes-today is going well and he is a good patient. Tuesday we go get the "trophy bandage" off and it's to be replaced w/one less impressive:))
JuJu had a birthday~cute and growing up; just like "our" JW, love seeing the photos.
Joey, so sorry that there were so many fish lost. How are things by now?
Adina~your sunrise/set photos are awesome. Hopefully the pipes are thawed and remain that way.
ric~I've missed a project:)) what's next for the SRoom?
bp~see you soon. Last week we changed internet/email, telephone and tv providers and it reasonably well.
loving the kitty pics, too.
Sharon~to have found so many friends through facebook is great; enjoy the reunion.
chrissyr~no ground hogs here, either. No matter the outcome, there's still plenty of winter in the forecast.
Moose on the deck looking for leftovers/dried plants. (Not taken today, but could have been).

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7526874

thanks for the new thread, Marylyn.
Hey, Sharon! Welcome back. You've been away far too long.
Yeah, Ric: was the GH stew any good? Sorry I missed it--NOT! LOL Are you all supposed to get that major snow event this week-end?
Crissy: you should post that accuweather report over here about the major weather event expecxted this week-end.
Celia: daffodils! Mine haven't bloomed yet--they are trying but the latest round of snow has delayed them. I should have some muscari blooming soon. I need to go out and check on my hellebore, too. LOL at Monty. Does he realize that he is our entertainment here on the weather thread? Love the woodpecker! I had one downy to visit my bird feeder last season but only saw him a few times.
Kelli: Sorry about the swelling of the tongue and lips--hope you are over that now. Have you figured out what caused it? You could always have Ric drain his hot tub and fill it with oil if you want a good soak! LOL
Joey: JW! :o)) precious, as usual!
Adina: gorgeous sunset!
BP: CAT tv--roflol! Were they "Birdwatching"? good luck with the computers. See you when you get back!

tonight's and tomorrow's weather forecast:
# Tonight: Cloudy with occasional showers overnight. Low 34F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tomorrow: Periods of rain. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7526879

We crossed, Kiska. Glad Frank is doing well and that he is a good patient! That makes things easier for you.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7527058

I am a big bundle if itch today. I don't know what is causing it. We went to the beach for a while to see if it felt any better to get out of the house, but it didn't. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I have these huge welts like silver dollars and cortisone cream and antihistamine don't seem to be doing anything. :-(

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on February 03, 2010
68 F
Clear
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 30 F
Wind: 6 mph from the NW

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7527241

35* and feels like 30. Major winter storm arriving sometime tomorrow and will dump up to 5 inche around here. Our high today was in the middle 40s. Didn't even need my coat. lol

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7527327

Hi! ~~~waving~~~ We had 3" of new snow yesterday. I've got to tell ya, I don't know if you all have the brine solution sprayed on your roads or if it's just VA, but that stuff really works! WV doesn't have it & you can surely tell it! It's like night & day crossing over from one state(WV) into the other(VA). Well, all the talk at work says that we're gonna get 30+" of snow this week end. What do you all think? The guys on the local weather only says 'significant' amounts. I reacon they can't commit, yet. ;)

Kiska, Glad to hear that Frank is behaving himself. ;) I hope he continues to improve in 'leaps & bounds'. The fish that we lost are going to be replaced. What had happened is that when the power went off & then came back on, it tripped a braker & only a few of the tanks (6 counting the Koi in the pond) were affected. They were all 55 gallon tanks & the Koi pond is 180 g's. But we only lost the largest fish..because they required more O2 & weren't getting it. Luckily the Koi pond didn't have a cover. btw, Love the moose! Looks like they got caught off guard! ;)
Kelli, I hope that you get better soon...
Rusty! JuJu is really growing! :D You have 2 pretty pups. :) JuJu really loves Rusty! :D
Sally! LOL! Cat TV!! HAHAHAHA
Adina! Wow! What a Gorgeous Pic! :D
Celia, Thanks...How do you do it?! You pic is Perfect! And Monty! LOL! You've caught him in the act! :D He looks so guilty!
Ric, Yep This little GH Did see his shadow! ;) We will be making a snowman this week end! Last week ends snow was so podwery that it wouldn't even stick, but I have a feeling that this week ends will be just right!;)

See ya'll tomorrow...
Joey

(sorry, I cut Jack's nose off...won't be still for a second!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7527451

Poor Jack!
He looks like a giant Pug...lol!

kiska glad he's doing so well!
That is ONE BIG BANDAGE!

Pepper's Storm, hey we have to blame someone, will be moving into here Friday.
Looks like 4" of snow after an ice bath.

We worked outside today cutting lumber for the new Sewing Room Surprise...
Nice out there 40 but it did spit a little snow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

dgal
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7527999

Oh Kelli, I hope it isn't hives.

Don

Temperature: 46.4 F
Dew Point: 45.3 F
Humidity: 96%
Wind Speed: 4.6mph
Wind Gust: 4.6mph 20.0mph - -
Wind: ESE
Pressure: 29.99in
Precipitation: 0.41in
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7528029

I'm glad you're going to the doctor tomorrow, Kelli!! I'm worried about you...

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7528236

Mornin'! :D Well for right now, and keep in mind that things are subject to change, the weather service if calling for 5" or more of snow & sleet for Friday. Saturday it will all turn to snow & we will get way more than 5" of just snow. My guess is that Garrett will be working at the farm all week end tending the Holsteins & I will be parking my car at the bottom of the hill (along w/ everybody else!)
Dyson Dark!: 28F
Feels like: 28F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 5:51 PM

Ric! LOL! I won't tell him that I made him look like a pug! ;) OK, I give up...what's the surprise going to be? A door, a shelf? You'll have to tell me, because sometimes I just don't get things. :) And we are blaming Pepper? We could blame Marylyn too! ;)
Kelli, Keep taking the Benydryl! When the hives start to connect & make larger ones...Please take care!
Mau, will all of your weather be as rain?
Dyon, just when you thought that you had gotten your car free of snow...

Take care today! and have a good one! :D
Joey

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7528271

Pepper: I guess your truck will be muddy again after your expected round of snow arrives?
Ric: you are keeping us in suspense with all these surprises! Don't suppose you will be doing much work outside today, huh?
Kelli: please do get that rash taken care of. It sounds like an extremely bad case of hives, to me. You may never know what caused it, though. Years ago I ate some blackberry cobbler one night--woke up in the wee hours itching with big whelps all over my body--didn't eat blackberries again for years but I tried them again and haven't had any more trouble. Yum--I love blackberry cobbler!
Joey: Poor Jake--a pug! LOL Be careful in all the new snow you are supposed to be getting! I have a granddaughter who lives at the bottom of a hill in Branson, MO. Only thing is the bottom of the hill is at the edge of a "cliff" overlooking Table Rock Lake. A couple of years ago she tried to drive down the hill to her driveway when it was snowed/iced in. Bad mistake! She literally had to jump out of her car to save herself when it slid off the road and went over the side! She was banged up but, thank God, no broken bones, etc. It was very scary! Needless to say, she hasn't done that again! Now she parks her car on a level spot at the top of the hill and walks up to the car if she needs to get "out".

100% chance of rain right now--I woke up to the sound of rain dripping off the eaves of the house. No snow predicted for our area--just the liquid form of precip.
# Today: Cloudy with periods of rain. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
# Tonight: Rain showers early becoming more intermittent overnight. Low 37F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7528480

The ground hog did not see his shadow here.

Crissy LOL! I left Bellaire/Houston back in 84. Its been a real treat getting to know all of them again.
Celia {{waving}} I am waiting for Spring, but not anticipating the steamy heat of Summer.
Kiska Glad to hear your DH is doing well after his surgery. I know he is not looking forward to going through it again, but he will be much happier and more comfortable when its all finished. Cute pic of the marmot!
Marylyn Absolutely I will let you know when Ill be in town! Ill be staying with a friend while there. I was planning on this month, but with the tendonitis still not healed in my knees I decided against it. Im still having difficulties getting around :P
Kelli I hope you feel better soon and figure out what is causing the problem. Sending healing thoughts your way.
Joey Look at that sweet little man! He is precious! Jeff and the boys are doing good. Gary is still in remission (yay)!! Justin is almost 18 (he still thinks hes 35), and Prissy, Pea, Callie, Boo and Sylvester are good too! Peanut is a joy to have!
Rusty Love the pic of Rusty and Juju! So glad they are getting along so well!
Adina Thanks! Pretty sunset! Hope your pipes stayed thawed :/
Celia What is Monty getting into? LOL!
Sally Cat TV LOL! Cute! Well see you in a week!
Kiska Ive missed the moose pics. Love it!
Mau Hi! Yes I know I was gone too long. I just got caught up in the memories!
Joey I hate to hear you lost some fish, but glad they are going to be replaced. Give Jack some love from me!
Ric You are still busy! I know you guys are glad to get the sewing rooming going.

Ill have to catch up more later. Have to go to work!

54.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the South
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Pressure: 30.24 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 7 PM EST this evening...

Today
Mostly cloudy and becoming windy. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers in the afternoon. High 58. Northeast winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Peanut in her valentines dress :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7528623

Heading Out before the Storm gets here...

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7528675

LOL Joey they can't say what the weather is doing while it's doing it.

I should post that over here, but where did it come from, and where did I post it? LOL!! Just the way I feel this morning, I'm in a very fowl mood.

Oh my Marilyn! I'm glad she wasn't hurt and was smart enough to bail out of that car!

Juju is growing like a weed!!
Peanut is so pretty in her Valentines Dress!!

This isn't the same article, but it's a pretty good one to describe this big storm:

"A large area of snow will fall Thursday over the Plains as a large winter storm begins to take shape. A broad area of 1-3 inches will extend from North Dakota to Oklahoma. Within this broad area, a swath of moderate snow of 3-6 inches is expected across central Kansas into Missouri by late in the day. Even through paralyzing snow amounts are not expected, there will be travel slowdowns as temperatures hang right around freezing causing slick roadways.
Heavy, possibly flooding, rainfall is expected along the Gulf Coast as moisture moves north. Just because roads will not be icy in this area does not mean that travel will be easy. In the heavier rain, watch out for ponding on roads and a few flooded roads.
In all, it will be a poor day to travel across most of the middle of the country with everything from snow to flooding rain likely.
Story by AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Adam Douty."

Here's another article:
"A major winter storm is taking shape from the Midwest to the mid-Atlantic for the end of the week. Snow over the Plains is expected to be light, but it will be enough to cause travel headaches from Oklahoma City to Rapid City to the Twin Cities. However, bigger issues will be found farther south where inches of rain could fall and in the mid-Atlantic where well over a foot of snow could fall.
What is making this storm such a big hitter? You can trace the origins of this storm back to the western coast of Mexico. This monstrous storm has a tropical connection of moisture not only from the Pacific Ocean, but from the Gulf of Mexico as well. This means a lot of precipitation over a very large area.
The other ingredient needed is cold. This is found over the Northeast due to the remnants of a cold Canadian high pressure. Putting the two main ingredients together, moisture and cold, you get the basis for yet another winter storm from the Midwest to the mid-Atlantic.
Story by AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Adam Douty"

Here's my forecast:

36.7 F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 36 F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 32 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.25 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.5 miles
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 2500 ft
Overcast 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Rain. Highs in the lower 40s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. The chance of precipitation near 100 percent. Average rainfall 1/2 to 1 inch.

Tonight
Rain in the evening...then rain likely after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening... becoming north after midnight. The chance of precipitation 90 percent. Average rainfall 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

See ya'll later!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7528712

I found the article!!

"The mass of rain gathering over Texas is heading to the north and east, where most of the storm will fall in the form of heavy snow during the second half of the week into the first part of the weekend.

Have the snow shovels and the plows ready, as people from the Plains to the Midwest and the mid-Atlantic are the targets of this new big, bad boy.

The storm will hit the High Plains first through Thursday with moderate snow. From Thursday night into Friday, the snow will roll into the Ohio Valley. Friday into Saturday, snow will spread into the southern Great Lakes, the central Appalachians, the mid-Atlantic, and the Interstate-95 corridor.

Schools will close, plans will be foiled, and flights will be canceled. Some roads could close from the Virginias to Maryland, Delaware, northwestern North Carolina, southern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Motorists should be prepared for snow, slush, and icy spots.

Recall that much of this area was slammed by the Christmas week blizzard. However, other areas and cities will join in on the disruptions as well, from Chicago, Omaha, Kansas City and St. Louis to Indianapolis, Dayton and Pittsburgh.

Once again, areas from Roanoke to Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City will be in the heart of the storm. These locations have already received two to four times their normal snowfall so far this winter.

While the storm will start off with wet snow, it will transform to a blizzard as winds increase, drawing cold air farther and farther south. A freeze-up and blowing and drifting will become a problem for the second half of the storm as a result."
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7528793

If any of you know Susan/Elaine (I01) and her guide dog and long time companion Kota...

It's Kota's Time... recent health issues compounded w/ old age... she'll Cross the Bridge tomorrow.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7528891

Oh, my, that is so sad, Ric. I know that Kota will be greatly missed by Susan! Does she have another companion dog ready to take up where Kota has left off?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7529270

Mau, how scary!!! So glad she didn't get hurt!

Joey and all, stay warm!

Ric, I'm sorry to hear that. My sympathies are going out to them.

Crisyy, same advice I always give you...Keep your head down!!! LOL

37.6 F with 40 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 38 F
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 27 F
Pressure: 29.99 in (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

I've had to have the GH door open that last few days. It's been wonderful. (Hmm..never thought I'd hear myself think of 40 as 'wonderful')

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7529294

[quote="music2keep"]And we are blaming Pepper? We could blame Marylyn too! ;)[/quote]

[quote="crissyr"]What is making this storm such a big hitter? You can trace the origins of this storm back to the western coast of Mexico. This monstrous storm has a tropical connection of moisture not only from the Pacific Ocean, but from the Gulf of Mexico as well. This means a lot of precipitation over a very large area.[/quote]

Gosh... I guess you could!! LOL We are certainly getting the rain that Crissy's article talked about. We received over an inch of rain yesterday, and more is on its way.

Celia, that's a GORGEOUS photo!!

Sharon, it will be so fun to finally meet you! ^_^

Marilyn, Eek!!! I'm so glad your granddaughter was ok!

I'm sorry to hear about Kota. :-(

This is pretty much what our forecast looks like until the middle of next week:

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:12am CST (25 min ago)
Temperature 50 F 10 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.83 in 1010 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 24 11 kts
G 21
Wind Dir E 100
Ceiling 900 ft 274 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks Pressure falling rapidly.
0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 48.9F / 9.4C
Rest of today Cloudy. Showers likely in the morning, then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the morning decreasing to 30 percent in the afternoon.
Tonight Cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7529309

12*F Highs to 15*F
Sunrise very soon at 9:11.
Gain of 5m34seconds daylight today. It's adding up quickly w/over 5 min gain a day.
ric~I should have known it's a Sewing Room project:)
wow~that's some major storm in the forecast, crissyr.
mau~what a scary event for your gdaughter; no wonder she would rather walk to the car.
kelli~any news as to the cause/recovery of the rash? Sounds miserable.
m2keep~what mess to have to clean up; glad to know not all the fish were gone.
kwanjin~gorgous sky photo/enjoy the warmer weather:))
I'm making red accessories for the new gray kitchen countertop.
Simple plate fused w/shades of red frit.
hi to all~

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 8:45 AM

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 4, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7529318

hi Marylyn~how nice that you'll be meeting Sharon.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7529329

Very pretty, Kiska.

{{{waving}}} back, Sharon!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7529883

I had a chiropractor appointment today and I drove over there and they were closed! This could have been a catastrophe, I could have melted in all this rain we're getting!! :-p

I am so sorry about Kota!

Kiska LOL I thought it was edible! That's really neat!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 4, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7529923

Great pics everyone! Sorry I can't comment, I've been busy with the training lessons at work and tired at home. Tomorrow is the last day when we get the final test.
still very cold here and freezing at night.

Adina
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7530118

Last I heard Susan wasn't going to get another Guide Dog.

I'll wait a while and suggest a Companion Dog.
That may be a better fit now.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7530474

Ric, I don't know Susan so I am assuming she is not totally blind because she obviously posts on these websites.

Raining and colder here--don't know what the actual temp is just now. Friday is napping in my lap and I don't want to disturb him by getting up to go look at the thermometer. (He's not spoiled, is he?) My granddaughter called me this afternoon and said they were sent home early from work (in Branson) due to sleet.
:o((

Everybody in the path of this winter storm stay safe and warm!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7530537

Evenin' Folks! :D Well the weather folks have finally committed to a number...21"+!!! It's supposed to start around midnight or a little after. Accumulation for tomorrow is to be around 6"-9" of snow & sleet. By Saturday morning it should have turned to snow w/ an additional 9"-12" by Saturday evening around 10:00pm. At the very least we should get about 15", but w/ sleet in it...who knows! Yep, we're gonna hunker down. Snack foods have been bought, & the wood has been brought inside, plenty of big batteries for flashlights, etc.~btw, we're supposed to have 40 mile an hour winds with it! Nasty!

Sharon, Pea is Precious! (Mommy's little princess!) Glad to hear that all of the 'fella's' are fine & Yayaayay!! for Justin! :D I hope & pray he continues to be in remission! :D
Mau! I know she was scared to death! :-O I certainly don't blame her for walking! Oh hearing that just made my heart sink! I would walk forever! "Someone" was deffinitely with her that day. ;)
Ric, Hope your trip to Dayton went well...and am glad that you didn't wait until tomorrow! My boss just called me & told me not to even try it...she said that she would go in Sunday & feed the fish. Could I work at a better place!? I think Not! :D So sorry to hear about Kota. :(
Crissy, Roanoke is 70 miles from here...it was in the middle of the storm we had just before Christmas.
Kiska, How is Frank this evening? I hope he's still being the 'good patient'. ;) I hope that we don't lose the 'juice' at the plant this week end...I couldn't stand to lose more fish. The smell alone is enough to make you run! I have a project that I have made for myself. We have some Gorgeous Bettas & have brought it upon myself to try & breed them. Just something that I want to try...LOL! It's a little different than trout! :D What a gorgeous platter! And it looks so nice on your gray counter! :D
Celia! What a beautiful sky! :D Wow! :D Well, if I don't get on here this week end you will know that I lost power. And remember me talking about our electric bill? Well they raised the rates...this months bill is over $200! :P We sure could use some of Rann's geothermal heat!

BBL,
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7530628

I am back from the doctor. He thinks it is some kind of reaction brought on by the cold I had last week. He took a sample of my for a biopsy and had a blood test taken. (I hate those.) I also got a prescription that should knock down the itch. I hope I'm back to myself by tomorrow.

They're calling for rain tomorrow and Saturday.

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on February 04, 2010
58 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 12 mph from the South

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7530630

Mau, Susan is blind. Her computer reads her the text on the website pages.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
1:09 AM

Post #7530714

Temp: 33F
Windchill: 29F
Winds: ENE at 6mph
Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 29 F Pressure: 30.04 in
Visibility: 3 Miles

Spitting snow occasionally but not doing much yet. Supposed to recieve 3 inches by end of day tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7530831

Mau you must meet Susan.
My Mother was blind for the last 30 years of her life and Susan helped me on many occasions.

Years back she was posting about being mad about opening the wrong can.
W/in weeks the Subscribers had bought her a Bar Code Reader and many other items for the visually impaired.
She's an awesome lady and Kota is a legend here.

They are still locking down the Forecast... still under a Warning

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #7530977

You can keep the warning. We just have an advisory. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7531019

I'll keep our warning and raise you Joey's WARNING!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
3:26 AM

Post #7531070

LOL!!!! :D
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7531111

Nah, you can have both. I'm feeling generous. :~p
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7531217

But you've shared so much w/ Joey and I this Winter we'd LOVE to repay you... ;-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7531271

We've got a flash flood watch for the burn areas. You guys can have that if you want.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 5, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7531596

So many warnings! We have one too, for a snowstorm tomorrow...ugh! And, above all, my pipe has frozen again...grrrr!!!! I have to fix it when I get back home. Last night it was OK , but I had a bad feeling and thought I should let the water dripping...arrrghhhh... at 4:30 a.m. there was no water. Lucky I saw what the plumber did and if he won't be able to come, I'll have to do it myself. I know you told me and I didn't listen...but I'm blaming the weather liars who said it'll be a lower temp! Today it's sunny and I hope it'll help a bit...we'll see when we get back home...keep your fingers crossed.
Adina
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7531599

snowing - good day to be at home.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7531628

Mornin'! We have snow & sleet/freezing rain. DH got a mile from the house & turned around & came back home (said it wasn't worth it). So far we have an inch...and from what I can gather it's worse over at Blacksburg. He works right across the street from me.
Snow: 32F
Feels like: 27F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 1 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.02 in
Wind: 6 mph E
Sunrise: 7:23 AM
Sunset: 5:52 PM

Pepper, ya sure you don't want it? LOL! :D
Kelli, I guess we'll get yours later. ;) How are your hives?
Dyson, You'll probably get more snow than us...Stay Warm!
Adina! Not Again! :-O I hope you can get it taken care of right away!...crossing fingers!
Ric? Are you a betting man? LOL! (raise her my Warning! LOL)

DH just told me that he read yesterday that Roanoke has gotten more snow than Anchorage this year, by an inch. (rather sceptical..)

Hope to be back later...
Take Care!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7531636

Here's the weather advisory:

http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/wwaatmget.php?x=MOZ088

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Feb 5, 5:53 am CST

Fog/Mist

34 F
(1 C)
Humidity: 100 %
Wind Speed: NW 3 MPH
Barometer: 29.83" (1010.8 mb)
Dewpoint: 34 F (1 C)
Visibility: 1.50 mi.

I did done with rent storage clean out for 2 days already and I'm very sore and tired so my garage and house is full now! So, I have to rest for while until I get better with sore!

Rusty and Ju get good along and got muddy legs...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7531912

Catching up still but y'all got me laughing already! LOL

Marylyn, I forgot to say thank you about my picture. So. Thank You!

33.8 F with 40 for the high. 40% chance of snow today.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 34 F
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 26 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7531994

Just finished your article, Kelli. Very nice.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7532015

It got snowing now and Dogs goes crazy playing!

It 35*...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7532021

Hi everyone

It's been sunny and cold for the past few days with a pretty cold breeze blowing ... supposed to be the same until next week I think. When Hildur Eva came home from school yesterday she said it felt like summer! lol It was around 30F ... but I'm guessing the sun had something to do with this "warmth" she felt. I couldn'd feel it ... it's just been really cold to me! lol

Sounds like a whopper of a storm heading for many of you.

Adina - sorry the pipes froze again.

Joey - stay safe! $200 for electicity seems a bit steep to me ... good to know at least SOMETHING here is less expensive ;-)

I went to see a lawyer today ... wasn't very reassuring. It looks like nothing short of a miracle (in the form of winning a nice sum of money in the lottery) can keep us here. So it looks like we'll be moving in about a year or two depending on how long it'll take to sell the house :-( Still hoping for some break in the job hunt but nothing yet ... my ex hasn't had any luck either. It just all seems so totally hopeless right now ... it's kind of paralizing ... I could really use some prayers ...

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7532109

a wintery mix of rain and snow will begin over south central ohio
this morning and continue in the afternoon. this mix will change
to all snow by this afternoon and continue through saturday
afternoon. snow accumulation of an inch or two is possible
today, with four to six inches expected overnight, and an
additional inch possible on saturday. total snowfall from this
system will be from six to eight inches.

if more rain than snow falls this morning and early afternoon, or
changes to all snow later than expected, total snowfall will be
cut by a few inches. regardless, significant accumulation is
expected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Light rain/ice/snow mix coming down now.

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7532114

I found this Superbowl Forecast on another thread and wanted you all to be aware:

Thumbnail by crissyr

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7532120

They just said on TWC 30,000,000 people total will be affected by the storm.

10 million will get the 12-20+" stuff.

YIKES!
Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #7532125

LOL Crissy!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7532152

Here's my forecast for today:

43.5 F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 42 F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 2.2 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 2.2 mph
Pressure: 28.92 in (Steady)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 600 ft
Overcast 1400 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Today
Rain likely for the remainder of the morning...then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph for the remainder of the morning... increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation 70 percent. Average rainfall less than 1/10 inch.

Tonight
Cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7532279

Snowed in - could not go anywheres if we had to - got food, kerosene & beer - no need to go.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 5, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7532317

Yiiipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I thawed the pipe with the 2 hair dryers I have and we have water !!!!!!!!!!! I insulated the pipe with the parasolar I used for my car and covered all with a polystiren box . I hope it will be OK for now, but I'll still let the faucet dripping during the night.
More freezing tonight .
Adina
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7532459

Yayyyy, Adina!!! ^_^

LOL Crissy!

Ooo, I haven't looked at the articles yet. I'll do that next. :-) Are you feeling any better, Kelli?

I'm sorry the news from the lawyer wasn't any better, Rann. :-( We're still praying for you!

I love the silhouette photo, too, Celia. :-)

You all be careful out there!!! I'm glad your DH came back home, Joey.

We're actually NOT getting any rain today! That makes a nice change. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CST (34 min ago)
Temperature 50 F 10 C
Dew Point 45 F 7 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.00 in 1015.9 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir NW 310
Ceiling 1200 ft 366 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 46.0F / 7.8C

Rest of today Mostly cloudy in the late morning and early afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7532661

Crissy, LOL over the Superbowl forecast!

Rann, I hope things get better for you. You're in my prayers.

Adina, I'm glad you got the waterpipe thawed out, especially without having to call the plumber. If it's anything like here, it's at least $50 just to show up at the door. Why was the pipe not better protected when the house was built? Has it been colder than ever?

Celia, thank you, I'm glad you liked the article. The chaparral is probably my favorite plant community around here. DH says that his favorite is riparian because of the shade, but riparian doesn't have all that many flowers. I like the visual sensory overload of the chaparral flowers and shades of green.

I've still got some itch but it is less, and the hives have pretty much gone down. Actually, the hives themselves I don't care one way or the other about. It's the itch that bugs me.

It looks like a good day for most of us to stay home. We got almost 1/4" of rain since some time in the night and it looks like it could rain all day. It's one of those dark days when we have to turn on the lights even though we have scads of windows in this house.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 05, 2010
51 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 9 mph from the ESE

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7532956

Helluuuu! Well we have pure sleet at the moment. 4" of snow/sleet on the ground already. They've changed the accumulation amount to "WITH TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES." Way better than 15"-21"! :D But I'm not sure the sleet is better.

Kelli, What a marvelous article! Loved it! Altho, I must admit (LOL at myself) ~ the video set my vertigo 'buzzing'. ;) When I sit in that side of the vehicle I generally watch the view, but I wanted to see the roads, too. BIG Mistake! LOL! :D So I was concentrating on the music & trying Not to watch the road. ;) Glad the itch is abating..it can be so annoying.
Adina, So very glad that you got you pipes unfrozen by yourself! :D YAY! The plumber that you got the last time should have put some sort of insulation over it. Maybe he was wanting to get some more money from ya! You go girl! :D
Dyson, Sounds like you're settled in for the week end. ;)
Marylyn, DH said that the brine solution that VA puts on the road wasn't working too good & he was more afraid of being stuck at work than anything. :) I am thrilled that he desided to come back home! :)
Rann, prayers going out to you~~~~~ Yes, Geothermal heat would be So very nice & inexpensive! ;) LOL! Could you pipe some over, Please?! :D

Well, I think I need to put out some more bird seed...BBL
Joey

(early this morning)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7533048

Joey, I guess I should have put in a disclaimer. There is a rollercoaster at the California Adventure (part of Disneyland) called Mulholland Madness. It is a very twisty rollercoaster. That particular stretch of Mulholland in the video (the first 1/2 to 2/3) is probably the most twisty stretch of the whole road. We usually take this route when we come home from the beach, so when we get into the car I say, "Are you ready for some Madness?" When we get to the guard rail at minute 1:20 on the video, if I'm not filming a video, I say, "Let the Madness begin."

When my parents were out here, we took them on a very winding and scenic road called See Canyon. We thought they would like it but I guess my mom didn't like it. DH said that she had her eyes closed. I don't know if she didn't like the height or if she was getting car sick. She never said anything about it. I do not like heights at all, but I feel o.k. in the car.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7533258

It just turned to snow here...

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7533358

Deep Snow not going any wheres - good thing there is no need. Sunlight fading again.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7533434

Adina - Yay! glad you got the pipes thawed out :-)

Kelli - so glad you're feeling better.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7533986

We have about 1 and a half to 2 inches of snow on the ground and will probably have at least another inch by end of day tomorrow.

Gravel roads are slicker than snot and I ended up in a ditch coming home after work. It was only for a few seconds since it was a shallow ditch so I was able to drive out but it was a hair raisining experience getting there. lol. Came around a curve and I don't know if I had my foot on the brakes or what but next thing I knew I was fish tailing all over the road, hit the ditch, came out and did just fine afterwards. lol. Bad thing is I had it in 4WD since I was having trouble with hills. lol
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2010
1:28 AM

Post #7534002

Eek!!! I'm glad you're ok, pepper!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
1:33 AM

Post #7534018

It wasn't the first time I was sliding around today. I slid all over the place going to work this morning too. LOL.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7534079

We have maybe an inch of slush...
The temps are hovering right at freezing..
We are RIGHT on the border of 'slide and don't slide' on the radar.

Got a lot done on the Project today.
It WILL work!
So tomorrow we should be about finished.
The bad part about these projects is the learning curve.
Then like putting together a Sauder Entertainment Center you never do it again... lol!

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2010
3:33 AM

Post #7534364

Sure glad I live in "warm" Minnesota.
I was outside a little bit ago. Snow is still soft & melting. 32
Flurry now & then.

A couple stopped by a few days ago & visited with us. We showed them the shop & some sample things we have.
Today in the mail came her drawing for a new kitchen. It is huge!
Tonight I started drawing it up. Hope to have an estimate out by Monday.

My son bought a laptop today. We need to get a person out here to hook up the wireless internet for it. We install permanent wiring when we added to the house.
Our internet comes through the air from a tower about 12 miles away. There is a little dish on top of the house. Then it's fed into the house the same as cable. Now we need to have the wires connected for the different hook up places.

It's been a bummer having only 1 computer hooked to the internet.

We've been busy working on the kitchen for the townhouse. Coming along very good. I'm doing a lot of sanding!

Hey pepper, stop by & I will give you "Driving in snow & ice course". Of course it's free to DG members. LOL!

I like the Super Bowl forecast. I might watch it a bit. I don't like Saints coach's attitude of killing the quarterback. Kind of unsportsmanlike. They beat the Vikings by playing dirty.
So not really into the game.
I would laugh if one of their stars had to leave because of injury, but not wishing that on anybody.

People are signing up for KY RU already, even though it's not until September. It makes a real nice vacation if anybodies looking for something different to do on their vacation.
This will be the 3rd year for me & DW to be there.
Here's the link if anyones interested.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072263/

Have a sleepy night,
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
12:03 PM

Post #7534855

Wow, I am waaay behind--too much to comment on but I have read all the posts!
I just echo everything Joey said in her post above.
Rann: prayers continuing.
My weather is same as Crissy's so no need to re-post. I will be at the hospital today sitting in the waiting room with my daughter and son while their father (my ex) has surgery. He fell in the wee hours yesterday and broke his hip--laid on the the floor for about 10 hours until my son found him. He lives alone and couldn't move to get to his phone.

I hope you all stay warm and safe during the winter storm. Nothing here but a bunch of rain, so far. Not raining now,though.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7534867

Nothing is moving anywhere near here the snow is deep. I guess I will try to shovel in a bit but I think we should start some coffee first.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7534934

Mornin'! We still have electricity, but don't ask me how! It just started to snow again, so maybe the sleet/freezing rain is finished. I haven't been out to measure yet, but it looks like we have about 6" of thick, heavy, crusty stuff. But it's beautiful! :)
Snow: 30F
Feels like: 30F
Barometer: 29.5 in
Dewpoint: 28
Visibility: 3 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.02 in
Sunrise: 7:22 AM
Sunset: 5:53 PM

Dyson, Nothing is moving here, either, except the critters.
Ric, LOL! about the Sauder Entertainment Center! :D
Pepper, Glad that it wasn't a deep ditch...be safe!
Mau, How's your weather this mornin'?
Bernie, Glad that you have another contract! :D

LOL! I just looked outside & saw Jack w/ his nose in the snow hunting for something. My guess is it's deeper than 6", need to go measure. I also need to go start clearing off my car, but guess it will have to wait until tomorrow. No point in clearing away the snow/sleet/frozen rain until it quits. :)

Have a good day all!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7534966

Started snowing again - got lots of kerosene and food but the beer is running low. May have to trek on foot if I can find any stores open.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7535002

Here's the pantry with wine storage that we finished yesterday.

25 with light snow this morning.

I was out in the shop a 5:45 AM. Put together 5 base cabinets. Kitchen cabinet boxes are done. More sanding face frames later today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7535203

19 F this morning under cloudy skies. Highs in the low to mid 20's forecast for the next 10 days.

The weather forecasters got it right this time. We got the 2 inches of snow they were calling here, while it's really piling up the further south you go.

Looks like a good weekend to hibernate. Stay safe and warm everyone!

Photo: Sunset at Presque Isle State Park taken a few years ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7535219

Beautiful Pattern on that wood Bernie!
Nice choice and well worked!

Well amounts vary widely around here.
The further north in Ohio you go the deeper it is.
The freeze line was basically on us for most of yesterday.
We got maybe 5" tops... up in Greenville near where Marcy lives 14+ inches.
Dayton, where we were going to help w/ a move today, about 8".
We all got the same basic amount of precip... they just got colder earlier.

Nice thing about growing bamboo is we have a readily available source of tall canes.
Our satellite was out due to snow splattered on it.
Took a 25' cane out and brushed it off...

Roads are snow covered an slick.
I haven't driven but have been watching what little traffic there is moving about 20 MPH on the main road.

Sun is attempting to break out now. and the winds are picking up.

Stay Safe!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7535235

Beautiful e_b!

The bad thing about growing 'boo is occasionally it ends up on the ground blocking everything.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7535246

Not to worry though this is Northern China Bamboo and will shake it off and probably be back up in a few hours.

Still snowing but it's the light fluffy stuff.
Now for the Arctic Blast!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7535616

Looks bleak at Presque Isle, E_B.

Bernie, it looks like they'll be keeping you out of trouble for some time now.

Ric, neat pictures, but I'm glad I'm here.

We got 1.81" of rain since Thursday night/Friday morning. It is supposed to rain some more today.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 06, 2010
55 F
Light Rain Mist
Dew Point: 53 F

This is a picture my sister sent of their driveway etc. She lives just north of Pittsburgh.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7535857

Stopped snowing - shoveled for awhile - went to the store.

Shoveled some more.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 4:16 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7536183

Did you pick up ore beer ?

Minnesota Gophers finally won a road game at Penn State. Officials were trying to take it away, but Penn State couldn't take advantage of it.

I'm back to working on the new job plans & estimate.

Wheres the Arctic blast going to come from ? It's still 34 here.
And I am happy to say, we send our weather your way.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7536216

Got beer and the DW announced she wanted pork chops for dinner.. Three or four more trips out to the drive and it will be clear.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 6, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7536492

Don't shovel to hard, we don't need you having a heart attack.
Glad you got more beer.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7536546

No snow here, thank goodness, but it has been overcast and dreary all day. We are supposed to have a wintry mix on Monday.
Sounds like a bunch of you are really getting the snow! Dyson, did you get those pork chops for the DW?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #7536592

Same snow here and it's getting bigger hour by hour! We're having a big snowstorm , the wind is blowing very hard and is drifting the snow .
Kelli, you asked the right question ... yes it was colder than usual, but we can expect these kind of temps in our country, so they had to insulate the pipes or put them underground somehow. It hasn't been that cold for 30 years, so they didn't bother to take better measures to protect the pipes...now that we know, we'll take care of that .
Joey, the plumber was supposed to come on another day to insulate the pipes, but we just didn't expect such freeze so soon.
Ric, so much snow at your place!
Here's one from a few days ago when it was sunny...part of the garden and the field with doggies footprints!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7536621

HI, Mau!
This is part of the garden :)

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7536627

Our little pine tree.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7536633

The other pine tree, more footprints and snow on the roof.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 6, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7536652

Sharon, I forgot to comment about Pea's dress...hysterical!LOL
E_B, awesome photo!
They are the ones who made the footprints!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2010
2:10 AM

Post #7537017

More snow coming in sometime tomorrow night.

Gravel roads are still slushy and slick today. I almost hit the ditch again in the same spot as yesterday but turned my wheel as far to the lef as I could to keep out. It worked and after I straightened up stuck it back in 4WD ( was trying my luck in 2WD lol) and went on and had no more trouble. lol

31*
Feels like 25*
Wind: From NE at 7mph

Cloudy with temperatures slowly falling to near 27F. Winds light and variable.

Winter Storm Watch for Lafayette, MO
from 6 pm CST, Sun., Feb. 7, 2010 until 12 am CST, Tue., Feb. 9, 2010

Issued by The National Weather Service
Kansas City/Pleasant Hill, MO
3:59 pm CST, Sat., Feb. 6, 2010

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY EVENING FOR THE LOWER MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY.

* TIMING AND AREAS AFFECTED... SNOW WILL BEGIN TO OVERSPREAD AREAS ALONG AND SOUTH OF A KANSAS CITY TO MOBERLY LINE SUNDAY NIGHT... CONTINUING THROUGH THE DAY ON MONDAY. THIS STORM WILL IMPACT THE MONDAY MORNING COMMUTE ACROSS THE KANSAS CITY AREA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN EXCESS OF 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF WEST CENTRAL AND CENTRAL MISSOURI... AS WELL AS EASTERN KANSAS BY THE TIME SNOW TAPERS OFF MONDAY EVENING. WITH SUCH A LARGE AREA OF SNOW EXPECTED AND THE IMPACTS OF TWO SEPARATE STORMS... AMOUNTS MAY VARY ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.

* IMPACTS... TRAVEL WILL LIKELY BECOME EXTREMELY DIFFICULT WITH SIGNIFICANT SNOW AMOUNTS CREATING SNOW PACKED ROADWAYS. WINDS WILL OUT OF THE NORTH MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING TO 20 TO 25 MPH AND MAY ALSO CAUSE DRIFTING OF THE SNOW

.A COMBINATION OF TWO STORM SYSTEMS COMING TOGETHER OVER THE CENTRAL PART OF THE COUNTRY BY MONDAY WILL LEAD TO A DAY LONG SNOW EVENT ACROSS THE LOWER MISSOURI RIVER VALLEY. THE SNOW MAY BEGIN AS EARLY AS SUNDAY... BUT SHOULD NOT INCREASE IN INTENSITY UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. AT THIS TIME IT APPEARS THE HEAVIEST BAND OF SNOWFALL WILL BE SETTING UP ACROSS AREAS FROM KANSAS CITY TO MOBERLY MISSOURI... SOUTHWARD... WITH A SECOND AREA OF HEAVY SNOWS EXPECTED ACROSS NORTHEAST MISSOURI MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #7537146

Cloudy 18 F and a bit windy tonight. We had a mostly sunny day after a cloudy start this morning.

We have a unique visitor at a farm just outside of town. It's a adult snowy owl, rarely seen in this part of the country. I went up and had a look at it this afternoon and it was too far away for a decent photo but several people who were there had spotting scopes set up so I got a nice close-up look at it. Birders have been coming from as far away as WV to see it.

adinamiti...Your weather looks just like mine.

ric...I didn't realize your bamboo grew that tall. I bought a pot of it at a garden club sale in spring of last year but never got it in the ground. If it survives the winter I'll plant it this spring.

Kelli...The photo is of the ice dunes that form along the Lake Erie shore in winter. We were far enough north so we only got a dusting of a couple of inches from the big storm.

Bernie...Great work, as usual.

early_bloomer
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7537161

e_b the P. 'Niger' grows about 15' tall here.
The Yellow Groove is mainly in the upper teens but many are pushing mid 20's now.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7537925

Adina: lots of doggie tracks there! LOL
Pepper: keep that truck in 4WD, girl!
Ric, isn't bamboo extremely invasive?
EB; so sorry you weren't able to get a pic of the snowy owl. That would have been something! At least you got to look at it close up through the 'scope. :o))

Same old weather here: damp and not much, if any, sunshine but at least we don't have 2ft. of snow like some of you do! Y'all stay safe and warm!
right now it is 32F but feels like 28F. Heading for a high of 46F Tonight we will have a light wintry mix late with a low of 31F. Rain on Monday with a high of 38F.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 7, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7537979

Hi, guys! No more sunny weather here...We'are having a snowstorm going on here since yesterday and we can't get out of the street. Tomorrow I'm working second shift and I hope we can shovel in the morning if the snowstorm stops. They said it'll end tomorrow morning, so we'll see.
We are OK, we have water, heat and food, so we can stay here for a few days!LOL The doggies houses were almost covered with snow and I had to shovel a lot so they can get in there OK. They seem to have gathered in the big one and in Trica's dog house too. I'll post some pics.

Here are the dog houses this morning.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 7, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7537990

Front yard.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 7, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7538000

Front gate, outside on the street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 7, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7538006

The street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7538102

The sun is very bright here and the snow is melting - I think.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7538151

Good morning! We had a beautiful, warm, sunny, spring day yesterday, but today the clouds came back. Bleah. Tomorrow is going to be warm but wet, and then another chilly front comes through. We may even get down below freezing again on Tuesday. (I know... your hearts are just aching for me, aren't they? LOL)

On a brighter note, the neighbor's ash tree is leafing - spring is coming!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7538153

Yes, everybody cries about east coast snowstorms. They are pretty mild compared to what we get.
Our snow from early December is still here.

Beginning to snow here again. Grandkids are here this weekend. They are supposed to go to Sunday School. It is 15 miles away. I may not take them. I was in that town yesterday & couldn't see decent on the way home. Everything is white, so very hard to see where the road is.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 7, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7538165

I made 2 videos if you want to watch :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85gccjiBIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93Oe-HdS00
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7538223

14 here and BLINDINGLY sunny.

Temps last night dropped from 28 when we went out to the HT at 10 PM
to 18 when we got out 1 1/2 hours later.

Here's some shots from a friend of mine in VA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/achrisvet/sets/72157623364749004/

They are calling it Snowmagedon or Snowpocalypse depending on the channel you are watching.

Off to look at Adina's videos

Ric

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7538358

Wow Adina, look at all of that snow, and the wind!

Love the pics Ric!

That is a gorgeous sunset Early.

Love the rest of the pics too!

Where's Rann?

I'm not going to do a huge weather outline, nothing going on here today, just overcast and the high is supposed to be in the mid 40's. Same as yesterday. Blah!

Dang, I am already hungry.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7539360

Adina, it sure looks cold at your place.

It feels warmer than this, at least if you're moving around alot.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on February 07, 2010
58 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 4 mph from the West

We went hiking today. I've shown you this waterfall before. It dries up in the summer. The greyish looking bushes are blooming.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7539361

Indian warrior

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2010
11:03 PM

Post #7539605

Hi Crissy :-) I'm lurking ... I've been really down in the dumps this weekend. 21 years ago today I met a guy ... 20 years ago today we got engaged ... and then he broke my heart too many times to count ... what I thought was one of the luckiest days in my life turned out to be not so lucky after all. Lots of conflicting feelings ... wish I'd never met him, but wouldn't want to trade anything for my girls ...

Adina - your photos and video look reallly cold! That's a lot of snow to clear off the street! :-0

Waving hi! to the rest ... I read all the posts and enjoyed all the photos ...

Off to bed now ... going to try to get a good night's sleep for once ...

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7539817

Rann, a couple of flowers for you.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7539818

32* and feels like 27*. Light snow falling now. By Tues night we could have up to 7 inches of snow.

A steady light snow will fall through midnight. Cloudy with temperatures steady in the low 30s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snowfall of about half an inch through midnight.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
2:52 AM

Post #7540231

Saints win Super Bowl 31-17.

I think it's still snowing out. Windows are dirty so hard to tell. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7540593

Looks like we have another storm rolling in Tuesday!

BTW Dave has issued his farewell.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074451/#new

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7540752

Dark, cold @ 22(f) Should make for an interesting commute.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7540760

Thanks Celia - how neat! :-) So pretty :-)

It's partly cloudy, 37F / 3C feels like 31F / -1C with a breeze from the E blowing at 8 mph / 13 km/h

Ric - so sad about Dave leaving, such a shame.

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7540815

Mornin' all! :D It's a woppin' 10! It was 12 the last time I looked ! :-O
Clear: 10F
Feels like: 10F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 10
Humidity: 100%
Sunrise: 7:20 AM
Sunset: 5:55 PM

Ric, What are we getting this time? I think you need some snow! If you don't get any out of this next system, I could send you some! :D btw, Those pics of you friend's in VA are awesome! I know some folks in northen VA got 36". Unheard of for down here!
Dyson, Be careful out there!
Rann, You're going to have times like that. Just hang in there, honey. We're with you!
Crissy, LOL! DH was doing the 'Happy Dance' about the game last night. Some of you may not know that he's from near Baton Rouge. :D
Kelli, Don't feel bad. I've taken my camera & the batteries were dead, too. But at least you got a couple of neat pics! Love that Indian Warrior! Pretty! :D And the water fall! ;) You know me! :D On of theses days I'm going to get up to the Cascades ~ they're in VA, but very close to here. It's a marvelous water fall. You'd love it.

Well, I need to go...have a feeling I'll need to scrape some ice/frost this mornin'.

Ric, I think Calf-Sue said it best (about Dave) 'when a door closes...another one opens'.

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7540947

I read Dave's farewell. He is a very gracious man.

Rann, dear, the "firsts" are always hard. Big hugs to you!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Rann)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

WE HAVE SNOW!!! A lot of you have much more snow than we do, but I awoke to about 2" of snow this morning. What was supposed to be a light wintry mix turned out to be mostly snow as it made its way further down into our state than "they" originally thought. There is a snow line across the middle of the state from west to east. North of that line is snow; south of that line is rain. The northern counties could get up to 8" of snow. There is another system coming in toward the end of the week with more of this stuff. All the schools in the northern half of the state are closed. Kids are loving it, I am sure! LOL It is 29F on my back porch right now with light snow/sleet continuing.

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST
TUESDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST
TUESDAY.

* TIMING...A MIXTURE OF RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO
AFFECT THE AREA TODAY. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A
MIXTURE OF PRIMARILY SNOW AND RAIN LATER THIS MORNING. THE
PRECIPITATION WILL EVENTUALLY CHANGEOVER TO MAINLY SNOW TONIGHT AS
COLDER AIR WORKS INTO THE REGION

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE
AREA TODAY. UP TO AN INCH OF ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION WILL
BE POSSIBLE TONIGHT.

* MAIN IMPACT...AREA ROADS...BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES MAY BECOME
SNOW AND ICE COVERED AND HAZARDOUS. THIS WILL MAKE FOR DANGEROUS
DRIVING CONDITIONS FOR THE COMMUTE TO WORK OR SCHOOL THIS
MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 8, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7541151

Hi, guys! Good news here...It was quite a struggle to clear off a path to the dog houses this morning, but now the wind has stopped and that's good . We tried to clear off the road which has huge drifts on it, about a man's height!!!!! Finally we called the Mayor and asked for a plow to clean off our road. It came and now the road is clear...yiiipppeeeee!!!! I took a the day off from work , but tomorrow we can go. I'll send more pics soon.
I am so relieved!
Hugs,
Adina

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7541234

Snowing here today. 3" so far, supposed to last until Tuesday night.

Headed for town, but turned around and came back home.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

February 8, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7541583

Dark, snowing, and springtime is a ways off; but daylight hours are longer.
Too far behind, but have skipped the first cup of coffee in order to read of what's been going on. Not sure what to do when my DG subscription is up.
Frank's surgery/recovery is doing well. The "trophy bandage" will be resized tomorrow. Thanks for the many well wishes.

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7541688

Mau - thank you so much for that hug :-)

Adina - Yay! So glad you got the street cleared :-)

Kiska - glad Frank is making a good recovery. I bet he'll be relieved to get a smaller bandage, looks awfully heavy to lug around.

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7541775

I didn't really catch up with y'all until this morning. Now, that I've wiped my tears about Dave, I can move on.

Kiska, that has to be the biggest bandage I have ever seen! LOL Glad he's downsizing.

31.3 F with 40 for the high. It has usually gone to 45 these days. The GH is in the 80s and 90s if the door is closed.
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 21 F
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Monty know what to do when it's cold out.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7542525

What Monty doesn't EBook?

Well we got some good news this morning.
The mailman dropped off a Certified Letter... the Dayton House sale is complete in ALL phases!

We should get 4-6" out of the new system if it goes as they say.
We topped out at 28 so now opening w/ rain this time.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 8, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7542812

Yay! Ric! It's good to get junk like that out of the way. I've never sold a house, but I can imagine.

Big hugs for Rann, and I think maybe we all need a group hug. I don't know Dave in any way, but him leaving makes me feel like I'm losing something.

The hives seem to be gone but I am still itchy.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 08, 2010
61 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 4 mph from the NE

They are calling for rain on Tuesday night. At this point, it isn't absolutely necessary, but I won't discourage it.

This is Aloe ferox. We got it as a one-gallon (or smaller) plant ~12 years ago from The Living Desert, near Palm Springs. You been there, Ric?

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
12:42 AM

Post #7543098

Lots of SNOW out there!! We are cold, but not freezing. I am surprised I still have a rose bush (no roses tho).

Kiska- I have to say that IS the biggest bandage Ive ever seen too! Glad Frank is doing well. Sending lots of healing thoughts his way.
Celia - Monty is too much LOL! I did not know he could read! Have you painted the red wall yet?

51.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3900 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Not as cool. Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7543481

15 F
Feels Like: -1 F
Wind: From NW at 18mph

Got some pics of the snow this morning but haven't been home all day so will download them tomorrow.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7543759

The front that is bringing snow to you all came through here tonight. We dropped from 70 at noon to 47 now, and we're still dropping. We'll be in the upper 30s by morning. We've already gotten at least half an inch of rain, and there's more of that coming, too. That would be 5 inches of snow! Please be careful!!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CST (59 min ago)
Temperature 47 F 8 C
Dew Point 42 F 6 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 29.98 in 1015.3 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 24 15 kts
G 21
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 1600 ft 488 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53pm CST : 66.0F / 18.9C
Rest of tonight Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of rain in the evening. Colder. Lows in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph.
Tuesday Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds 15 to 20 mph.
Tuesday night Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7543979

Rann, I'm thinking of you and sending warm hugs. I hope you are feeling better today.
Jackie, so glad Frank is feeling better and will get a new bandage!
Sharon, the froggie is so cute!
Kelli, glad the hives are gone , hope the itchy goes away too. Your aloe is so beautiful, brings up so much warm for us , here in the north.
Celia, wow, Monty knows how to read...so funny!LOL
Thanks everyone for encouragement, I needed that! It's snowing again and we have a few inches of snow to shovel...arrghhh! Lucky the road is drivable.
Here are a few pics I took yesterday when the plow came.
This was in front of our gate, had to make a path to get out.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7543980

This was our livingroom door as seen from outside.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #7543981

The road in the morning.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7543983

A closer look of the HUGE drift from our house straight ahead, about my height!!!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #7543984

The path I made to get out.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7543985

The view from the livingroom window/door.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7543986

I had to make a path to the dog houses too, again...ugh!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7543988

The drift from the livingroom seen from outside.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7543990

Later the sun came out for a bit and the snowstorm stopped.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7543992

We all came out to shovel : DH inside and DS and I outside.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7543995

The snow plow got closer to our house and when the driver saw the huge drift wanted more money!!! The neighbors were negociating. Those are about half of the people who are living on our street.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7543997

The doggies were trying to help!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7543999

They came for a snuggle with Ionut.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7544000

Finally, after the snowplow did his job. He accepted much less money than he asked for!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
11:08 AM

Post #7544060

Mornin' All! Adina! Massive amount of Snow! Wow! And your video is awesome! Stay Safe!
We have another inch of snow this morning the weather guys are calling for 3-5" by tomorrow.
Snow: 28F
Feels like: 23F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 28
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 miles
Wind: 5 mph E
Sunrise: 7:17 AM
Sunset: 5:55 PM

LOL! Marylyn & Pepper, You've gone & done it this time! ;)
Mau? How much snow do you have now?
Rann, ...thinking about you...
Sharon, Love the frog! :D
Ric, Great! Now that everything is settled! A done Deal! :D I know you're glad it's over. :D And I'm glad for you! ;)
Kelli! Love the Aloe! They are Gorgeous!

Well, I'm running late...
Have a Great Day! All! And Be Safe!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7544911

Ric, Monty is an old-fashioned kind of cat. No ebooks for him! LOL

Joey, thanks for the baby snuggles.

Sharon, we haven't done any painting yet. That'll come sometime this summer. Meanwhile, the border is still up and making me crazy. LOL

Adina, what can I say the others haven't already said? I love how your neighbors all pitch in to help. If we had to negociate with the snowplow drivers around here, there would be a HUGE stink! LOL

My friend will be back in town this evening. Hopefully, things will go better than last time.

34.1 F with 43 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 31 F
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 16 F
Wind: 4.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 18.0 mph
Pressure: 30.13 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 6500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Isis says, "Of course I read books. What's a book?"

Thumbnail by kwanjin

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
9:54 PM

Post #7545545

Hi!! It snowed and my internet satellite dish was covered in snow, so I had no internet. Here's what I did in the mean time:

http://picasaweb.google.com/christinepix/20100209#

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7545618

Celia, LOL at Isis!
Joey, such a sweet face!
Tonight very low temps, freezing again -17C(1.4F)...I'll let the faucet dripping!
I took some pics on my way to work today. Bucharest is covered with snow too!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
10:20 PM

Post #7545626

In a park.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
10:23 PM

Post #7545636

Some trees.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 9, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7545642

This is how much snow we got today.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
1:25 AM

Post #7546144

25 F
Feels Like: 13 F
Wind: From NW at 15mph

Our low this morning was 2 degrees. High of 26 deg. Plenty of wind all day so it has been pretty cold.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7546343

Beautiful Kelli!
I've been through Palm Springs many times but never there.
Usually I was either heading to Phoenix or Joshua Tree.
We'll have to put that on the list.

Adina are you sure you aren't in Siberia?
Man that's a LOT of snow.
Glad to see the driver took less money.
Wonder if he was afraid you would sic the doggies on him... lol!

We had about 7" of new stuff.
Went over to Lowe's in KY about 11 AM and the roads were pretty bad.
We stayed to the main roads and Hwys.
Coming home it had warmed a bit and so we chanced the backroads.
We made it fairly easily but some ahead of us didn't.

Bought a new toy over at Lowe's.
A Hitachi Scroll Saw... we've been looking to replace our old one for a while.
It should open up a lot of new projects.

18 WC 3

Somebody stole our Pond!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7546443

I went to Mankato this afternoon. Roads were so so. I just got home. The main hwy was glare ice most of the way. About 30MPH was tops. A few cars thought I was going to slow. Two of the ones that passed me were in the ditch farther down the road. Wind would push my truck sideways at times. Scary!

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7546533

I always enjoy honking and waving as I go by them.

Here's our wire spool table

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7547113

Mornin'! Now we're just waitin' on the wind. :P
Clear: 18F
Feels like: 0F
Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 7
Humidity: 62%
Visibility: 7 miles
Wind: 23 mph W
Sunrise: 7:18 AM
Sunset: 5:57 PM
2 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW MAY FALL THROUGH TONIGHT WITH THE HEAVIEST ALONG THE HIGHER WESTERN SLOPES. STRONG GUSTY WINDS THROUGH TONIGHT WILL ALSO PRODUCE BLOWING SNOW AND WIND CHILLS NEAR 5 BELOW ZERO... ESPECIALLY AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

Need I say more? I'm going to try to make it to work, because my boss is going to OH today! (she has too). She has left me in charge! :-O

Ric, Love your 'snowy things' :D
Pepper! Stay Warm!
Bernie! Stay Safe!
Crissy, Glad that you got your dish cleared! ;)
Celia ~~~~waving~~~~

Have a great day!
Joey

(me thinks he is need of a hair cut!)

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7547214

Wow, Adina, that is a LOT of snow!!
Marylyn, you can stop sending your weather fronts to us now! LOL we have had enough snow for a while.
Celia: the cats are up to their usual antics, I see! :o)) Hope your friend's visit is a more enjoyable trip this time around.
Crissy: I wondered why we had not heard from you. Glad you got the satellite and internet up and running again. Lots of pretty photos on your webpage. The close-up of the storm cellar vents look like some kind of weird bird feeder! LOL
Ric: hope you find your pond again soon!
Sharon: hope your roses are blooming again soon! Of course, where I live, roses don't bloom from Nov. through March.
Joey: At my house we had about 6-7 inches of snow altogether. That is a lot of snow for us. I nearly got my car stuck in my own driveway yesterday but everything was fine once the front tires found the pavement on the street. JW is always a cutie even if he does need a haircut! :o))

Currently 20F on my back porch.
# Today: Sun and clouds mixed. High 39F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy skies early will give way to cloudy skies late. Low 26F. Winds light and variable.

"They" say we will be up into the low 50's by Saturday! Woohoo!

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7547672

A bit snowy still.
Maybe 2 more inches after yesterday afternoon.
It is definitely winding down now though.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 10, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7547770

New weather thread for all to enjoy.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1075009/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America