Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Homesteading: retired, living self sufficently in Alabama

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 460, Views: 4,507
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

February 2, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7522365

Here in Alabama ive went off grid, i got totaly tired of the laws that this country and utility companys has put us under. i've build a log cabin totaly off grid its nice not to have paid an electric bill nor a water bill in over five years now. i grow my own food (tobacco included), kill my own meats, pretty much stay to myself. i have 20 acres of land here with a creek running through it, even a waterfalls in my front yard that will have a waterwheel generator in it this spring, i use solar panels and wood gas, it all works out really nice. actualy the only bills i have is my phone an internet, ins. on my blazer 4x4 and a few supplies that i need from time to time, i store lots of food in salt boxes and my root celler also. hard times is what you make from them.
its alot of work maybe more than some think, i retired in 2001 at the age of 44 havent worked a job sence, lost my wife my soul mate in 2004 to cancer, so now im living out my dream. i have an online store to help with some extra income but my hunting and fishing an raising food is my livelyhood its how i survive now. yawl work a job to provide things for your families shelter, heat, food etc. where as i do the work to grow it an kill and process it, i cut my own firewood to stay warm an also to cook with alot of the time. i really see no difference in the way i live other than i am my boss and i get paid what i put into it. same same, course i do lots of barter'n also. LOL
i was a Master Machinist for Hyster Fork Lift Company for 25 years, so im actaualy a machinist by trade but most say im a jack of all trades, if it can be done ill find a way to do it.

glass half full ? or is it half empty ? the choice is ours to take a stand or live with it an suffer along with everyone else.
life is what YOU make of it, we each have the power to control our own destiny (to some point)

course i love sailing, hunting, fishing, makin wine an other spirits.
im also a Creek/Cherokee mix with a tad of irish.
well thats enough for now.

David

Thumbnail by freedom_sailer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7522564

Welcome Aboard, Sailor! Good looking house!

What's the white container under your porch used for?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

February 2, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7522610

thats my fresh water storage tank, 350 gallon tank. liquid nitrogen ferterlizer came in it. it is connected to my gutter system to provide water for showers, toilet, bathroom and kitchen sinks. it is filtered by a whole house filter system (except for the toilet and shower) and still another water filter on the kitchen sink.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7525072

I'm sorry to hear of your loss sailer.

Cute place you have there, and it is very encouraging to hear of someone doing as you have done. I hope to be in that position eventually, but right now I still have to work to pay for my mortgage and auto. But at least I have my own place nice, only six acres compared to your twenty!

Glad you joined us and we look forward to your contributions.

p.s. The glass is ALWAYS half-full, cuz attitude is everything :)
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7537070

David, I am sorry to hear that you lost your wife.

I love what you are doing with your homestead. It sounds like a peaceful and rewarding place to be. Many of us would love to be in that situation. Please keep us informed, and check back often.

I am considering buying some of those 350 gallon containers for rainwater harvesting. I can purchase them locally. They have been used for powerwashing, so have soap residue, I am sure.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

February 8, 2010
12:12 AM

Post #7539781

thoes should be excellent for collecting rainwater in. the soap should be easy to wash out, couple of good rains an blow the ballast LOL .. we pick them up round here for 25.00 to 30.00, i plan on getting at least one more of them .. if not two.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7599894

I have seen those tanks around here. I'm sure they come from the coal mines but I have no idea what comes in them. i'd love to get a few. Have no idea what the cost would be. I could use one at my barn. there is no water there and I depend on the small creek but at times it goes dry and I have to haul water a few miles.

Welcome to the site. Look forward to reading about your life. My sympathies for your loss.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7600100

Nice place! Like to see more of your set-up. Especially the waterfall generator... sounds interesting.

I think they're getting $50 for those containers around here. Bit of a racket, I think.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 5, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7606095

ill get some pictures of the waterwheel generator asap, all i have at the moment is some of it being built, sometimes i do good an follow a project from beganin to end with pic's ... some times i dont hehee.
the tanks even at 50 each still are excellent for water storage they'll freeze in the winter but so far never had one to bust. but a simple aquarium air pump with the stone placed in the bottom will keep one from freezing. or any kinda circulation plump just to keep the water moving.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7606331

Oh, I know how it goes with the projects... I had so many started and on pause around here that last year I officially declared I could start no more til I finished one. So that is my new system... I have to finish one project before I can start another. Of course, I have about a dozen in the works, and about two dozen I have in mind... LOL Yep, I think 'em up faster than I finish 'em up!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 7, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7610769

Jayryunen, LOL same here, but i just keep addin on more and more projects that way i can work on what ever i feel like or the weather permits that day. hehee thats my 'never ending system'
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7611814

Yes, that's it exactly... I pick up the project that suits the mood as well! And being a moody sort, things progress in fits and starts. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 9, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7615391

well it started raining today, an looks like we are in for a few days of it, so my projects have moved inside for now, good time to start building my natural pole railings around my staircase opening in the living room. ive had the poles peeled an dried for a few weeks now. hehee guess thats my agenda for today. too many irons in the fire .. NEVER hehee
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7616368

Well now... ya just gotta post some pictures... especially how you assemble these rails. Lots of folks here are very, very eager to learn new stuff like that, me included!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 10, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7617895

ah, pictures, got one so far let me see if i can post it

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 10, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7617897

Arggggg look at the railing, hahaa not at all my mess hehee
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7618004

Oh, I like that railing! MsRobin and I went walking through my woods while she was here, and there are a lot of straight limbs out there to make a primitive fence railing with.
Can you give me a brief overview of what you did? I know you mentioned removing the bark and drying; any special drying method?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 10, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7618115

Not really, just cut the best straighest in the dia. that you need you, peel the bark from em. put em some where nice n dry out of the sun preferably and leave em for a month or two. there's lots of different ways of doing the joints most of mine i just concaved one to fit the curveature of the other. drill a pilot hole in the blind side an used 3 1/2 deck screws. in that pic none of the spindles have been put in. im working on the gate now that'll go across the opening..
Also sometimes the ones that are crooked with knots are prettier than the straight ones tho. course your not gonna find a perfectly straight tree. they may look like it but they all have bends and twists in em. i like the total rustic look anyhow an love doing an building the old way.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7618274

Mess?? I don't see any mess... just abundant creativity overflowing! LOL Looks like my house, I have to remind myself not to wittle inside. OK, not to wittle in the carpeted areas. =0)

Here's the question I've always had... how do you get your peg holes in a straight line? I always seem to get a bit of rotation.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 10, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7618343

i cheat, i mark the top holes an use a plumb bob to find the bottom hole spot
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7618381

If it works, it ain't cheating...
I never would have thought of a plumb bob... though I'm having a little difficulty imagining how that would work.

Could you post a picture or two? I'll bet not everyone even knows what a plumb bob is.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7619025

That's gonna be really nice. Will you stain them or seal them natural?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 12, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7624703

leave em natural an let nature take its course on em. i dont like shiny and refined stuff. they'll darken with age and become worn smooth an give them that natural look.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7625087

Sounds like a plan.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 15, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7631210

so if this works here's a pic of the gate i put up at the top of the staircase. my gate with muskidine vine weaved in it. still dont have the spindles in the railing yet. but its in the works along with the braces etc.

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7631347

Sweet!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7633275

Cool! I'd have never thought of the vines.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 16, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7633895

yeah they work pretty well, put em on green and when they dry they are as tuff as can be. very easy to work with also when they are green. ive used them for chair bottoms an other things also. like baskets platters etc.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7633944

Wish we had some vines around here I could try this with... but we do have a little willow... any tips for working with willow?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7634133

We have vines aplenty but it's hard for me to crawl around the mountainsides anymore.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7634271

When's your little fetch and getter--i.e. your grandson-- coming back? You just start cooking up ideas for him to help you with this summer. =0)
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 16, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7634452

yeah, they are always eager to help out, or i know mine are, but of course i usualy slip em all that stuff they aint 'spose to eat .. chocolates .. candy .. etc. hahaha one of the special pleasures of being a grandpaw ... hehee
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7634657

Heck, somebody's got to contribute to the moral decay of the young. LOL Just tell the folks it's hazard duty pay...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7634776

Hoping to have both of them for the summer. Can't wait.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7635656

Making a list, checking it twice... LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7635899

Yes. I've been limping around the hillside out back and around the yard scoping out places for us to play. Also going to bring Maxxy to the house for the summer.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 20, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7643651

whew, spent most of today putting the bearings and pullys on my waterwheel almost have it ready to install, im thinking a swing mount, because of all the flooding i get here, its an over shot wheel, but if i put it on a swing mount when the creek rises i can raise the wheel and make an undershot out of it, sure beats seein it head down stream to no mans land incase of a big flood. i should be able to raise it compleatly out of the creek in the case of a 'sho nuff bad' flood ... LOL

This message was edited Mar 20, 2010 5:03 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 20, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7643745

I hope pictures are forthcoming.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 20, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7644371

yeah i got a few from the start to well almost now, ill take them maybe tomorrow if its not raining and see if i cant post em.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7644866

ok this is the wire spool i used to make the waterwheel from.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7644871

started adding the paddles

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7644874

more paddles being added.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7644892

4 in. lip added here to hold the water in for the longest time it can in oder to get the most power from the wheel.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7644901

orange duct tape added where i can count the rpm's of the wheel better and because my grandkids said it looked kewl. LOL

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7644947

Wow! How cool!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7645030

Very ingenious! I have no clue about undershot, overshot ect.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 21, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7645077

an overshot wheel is where the water strikes the wheel at 12:00 or so an the weight of the water and the force turns the wheel. an undershot wheel the water current its self hits the paddles an moves the wheel around .. difference being, an overshot is 90% efficent or more .. an a undershot wheel is around 60% efficent.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
7:51 AM

Post #7645113

Hey, Cajun, we really do learn something new everyday! :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 21, 2010
8:30 AM

Post #7645209

Neat design, thanks for the pictures!
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7646055

Nice work, thank you for the photos. I have a creek but I am still unsure if it is actually *on* my property or not, won't know for sure until I have a survey done. But it is so far from the house, as well as below where the house is, that I couldn't do anything power-wise with it considering my lack of expertise in almost everything...LOL!

Thanks for sharing your endeavors!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7647559

Thanks for that explanation. It's really simple and even I could understand it. I have a nice little creek in my yard. How do you make electricity from the wheel? I know how to use it say on a grist wheel but how do you turn the water's force into electricity?

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7647616

ill post more pictues as soon as this rain stops and i can get back outside again. but i have the pulleys on the wheel now that will turn pma's to generate power from there to my battery bank that my solar panels and wind mill charges now. so it will help suppliment power as needed, the next pic's i post will help you understand and invision it a little more.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7647690

CajuninKy ... i looked at the pic you posted of your creek, good amount of water flow there that has great potential. you could make lots of free power off that . actualy it seems to be about the same size an flow rate of mine. judging from the water going over the rocks. i would be more than glad to answer or help you any way i can.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7647714

Cajun, Beautiful little creek!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7647813

Sweet! My first thought was how ideal that would be for a water supply and pumped with a ram pump. Just me tho, I could do without electricity but miss having water.

Looking forward to your information, Sailer.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7647829

Podster... ram pumps are totaly simple to build an actualy requires no maint. only thing wrong with them is that they only provide 10% of the water that goes through them. but on a lighter note. thats 10% more than what you have plus its totaly FREE .. LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7647877

Absolutely and the amazing thing is I know folks that use them with virtually no maintenance except keeping the screens clean. I have walked our property out in search of a spring for that very reason but it is not to be. I do like that creek!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
10:38 AM

Post #7647927

Podster...
wait untill the dry part of the summer, walk it again an look for any sign of a 'damp' spot. or moss an fern growing low to the ground, if you find a spot like that, a few shovels deep you might find the spring your looking for. plants and plant life will show you water than you never knew existed
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7648074

My mind was on the same track. I have a spot that I plan to go back to. It holds water even when it was dry this winter but I suspect it is the soil under rather than a water source. The surrounding foliage doesn't indicate a constant water source. We are in rattlesnake country so I will have to work up my courage when it is warmer.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7648085

I want to trace the creek to it's origin if possible. I believe it may be spring fed from the strip mining job a mile or so away. There is a road (4 wheeler) that goes to the top and the creek seems to be next to the road. I could ride my horse up there.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7648216

ok i slipped out between showers n took a quick pic of the bearings an pully on my waterwheel. a belt will drive a modified auto alternator that i made into a PMA alternator. and yes thoes are lawnmower blades i used and deck bearings also. reason is i already had em plus they are tempered steel they will flex and bend without breaking. just have four bolts holdin them on also. there'll be 2 more per side when its finished, or at least two per side. also on the other side of the wheel is another set of bearings an also another pulley. i can dual drive from it if need be. also the mounting flanges on the bearings make a perfect mounting space for the waterwheel mount. which will consist of angle iron in an A type shape. or inverted V .. hehee which ever u prefer then anchored to the bedrock or as i stated before a large hinge rig where i can raise or lower the wheel at any time with a come-a-long or what ever i deside to use.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2010 3:02 PM

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 22, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7648363

Most ingenious!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7648834

you are just amazing, but when you are lucky enough to live this style of life you have the time to come up with this.

Just incredible...

Janet
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7648916

I'm going to have my DH look at your photos. He may be able to do this also. He knows a bit about motors and such.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 22, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7649145

Way kewl CajuninKy, maybe they'll help yawl some.

And Thank You for the compliment Meadowyck, hehee sometimes i scare myself i dont wanna re-invent the wheel ( so to speak) i just wanna make it work for me.

detabern
Elk Grove, CA

March 24, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7652457

You are living the life, and I commend you for your independence! Way to go, American Man!!!!!!!!!!! I admire you!

Detective Abe, RN
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7652622

Very neat, and I agree with the kids... way kewl!

Could you post some dimensions and materials? It looks like the spool is plastic? And what did you use to make the buckets? What does PMA stand for?

Now I'm thinking about my creek... though I'd have to come up with a way to channel it and create a drop, and I think I'd need permits... can't touch water around here without a permit.

I'm sure enjoying following this...
=0) Jay
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 24, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7652924

yes the spool is plastic, nylon sorta stuff, im hopeing it'll last alot longer than the wood ones. the paddles are made from 1x4 tounge an grove lumber (cause its what i had around) but plywood would have been better. the lips are from 6 in. pvc sewer pipe. (new of course) LOL the wheel is 3ft. in dia. with 12 padles or buckets.
PMA stands for Permanent Magnet Alternator.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7652939

Thanks!
Permanent Magnet Alternator... oh yeah, that was a help... {{snort}} this is the part where I say... the magic happens in here, don't ask me, I just pray to it. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 24, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7652951

Jayryunen
the answer to not disturbing the water is a floating undershot wheel, made exactly like the one im building but, its floated by two pontoons an ancored to the banks with either cable or ropes .. the current will turn the paddles, its not as efficent as an overshot wheel. but it works an its still FREE. requires no dam'n of the creek or distrubing the natural flow of it. something to still think about.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7653065

oh, you just bet your booties I'm thinkin' on it...
how fast does the stream need to run?
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7653395

Semper Fi Free booter, and greetings to all.49 retired and not a penny of debt now its my turn to live the way I want.And I will.If not its off the plank for me
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 24, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7653443

That's the spirit!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 24, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7653468

yeah i know that feeling well, i havent had a power bill in almost 5 years now nor a water bill. its nice not to depend on "the system" for my needs. if it wasnt for car ins. i'd have no bills at all.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 24, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7653507

Jayryunen
mark off a few yards of creek, toss in something that floats but dont just set on top of the water. an time it from one mark to the other. then do the math.
mine flows about a yard every 5 seconds .. just to give you an idea
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 25, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7655084

Grrrrrrrr rain again, few days of beautiful weather, bright sunshine mid 70's then this, i get my blood racing then a blowout causes me to "pitstop" hahaha COME ON SPRINGTIME.
Inside projects again. or maybe just a day of rest, nawwwwww i'll set around and design things today.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7655110

Hah! I'm outside today... neh, neh, neh!
LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 25, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7655151

oh dang, thats rubbin it in now ... below the belt shot... LOL
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7656156

Hey jay,Free ,snowing up here in Cleveland at the moment 9:40pm Come on I`m tapped out on this snow for one winter

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7656355

I hear ya EastOfMidnite

we have at least 2 inches and some ice... but at least it isn't sticking to the road not yet... but if it keeps up don't know what I'll wake up to, the only good thing is tomorrows friday so only one more day to contend with trying to get to work...

come on spring... but there is a guy up here who says we still will have winter (snow) until 4/20... say it isn't so Ha ha ha

Janet

ps I got three more groups of tomatoes started tonight... hurrayyyyyy

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7656424

I lost count, Janet.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 25, 2010
11:42 PM

Post #7656808

snow is a nassy nassy wurd. ewwwwwwwwww
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7657165

Well meadow your not too far from meself.Just wondering how your zone and mine are different? I`m 4 the moment in West Park/Kamms Corner neighborhood.Soon to be scadaddling to MO,,,P.S.Sagamore is really nice.Cheers
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 26, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7657312

UHOH i think i see sunshine this morning ... wooooo hoooooooooooo maybe i can work on some outside projects today.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7657333

No such luck here. Enjoy your day!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 26, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7658950

I GOT A NEW GRAND SON TODAY ... 6lbs. 3 oz.

thats no. 15 for me...
hey dangit im only 52
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7659019

Congrats, Free!!! Wooo-hoo... with that many running around, surely one of them will take you in when you're old and drooling. LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7660092

Congrats on the newbie! 15 huh? That's a crew for sure. How many kids you got?

I feel like crap today so I haven't accomplished much. Can't get my food swallowed and it hurts. Say a prayer for please. The sun is shining and it's almost warm except for the breeze. Kills me to waste it. I gotta get moving somehow.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7660888

that is one fine looking home you got thar ! David. Sweet .
Congrats to the new young'in wow 15 grandkids !
Cajun i sure hope you get yourself fixed up soon. Not fun to have a throat pain.
EastOf Clevland is zone 6a ? really . ? huh go figure. i m new to Ohio so i m still learning the smart stuff 's
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2010
2:48 PM

Post #7662684

I'm feeling better today. Got all my work done after church and going to the evening service tonight. My supper went down allright but I chewed it so long it was nearly digested before I swallowed it. LOL I had a really bad night with my legs, though. Hurt so bad I cried. It stopped after daylight which is about 7 here. If it ain't chickens, it's feathers. Oh well, C'est La Vie. I feel good right now so I'll enjoy it.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 28, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7663138

oooops ive gotten behind. hahaa Cajun i have 8 kids. yeah hope that sore throat goes away also.

yeah i wanted my own tribe ... so wut ? LOL i tried
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7664235

Nearly had your own ball team. LOL

I feel great today! Thank the Lord. Weather is nasty but the rest of the week looks good. My gardening buddy is back from Fla so I can get down to business with the beans, peas, corn and okra as soon as he gets the garden plowed.

Got 2 new chicks in the bator and waiting on 22 more!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7664336

Cajun, so glad to hear you are doing better!
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 29, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7664858

caj whats wrong with your legs,, my mother has fibra mialgia, and its so painful for her,, and also alot of other problems,,, she drinks a glass of muscadine grape wine helps with the pain and also janets glucosamyne cream works wonders on joints,, the wine settles her legs down,, just read about you wanting your own tribe also too funny,, i have 14 sisters im the only boy, and omg not an easy task for me
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7665051

Hey,FREE you got it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Just made two trips to MO. Grueling but quite satisfying.Most every thing in place ,for a toe hold.One more trip and there is no going back/no regrets.
secretlove2005
Brooklyn, NY

March 29, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7665056

take me with you east
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7665321

EoM, sounds like you had 2 great trips, or are you just excited about making the move? Thought you still had a couple of weeks up north?

Secret, I think you are a tad bit out of the way, for him to take you with him. :( Did you come up with any leads off of those intern sites?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 29, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7665681

Awsome East, glad you can see some light at the end of the tunnel now.

Cajun. glad ur feeling better .. kewl bout da baby chic's i remember raisin da lil things ... chic's of all kinds .. turkey, bob white, ring neck phesant .. jezzz not to mention rabbits etc. i hatched off more than any of the moma hens did ...

i spent bout all day today tearin apart my solar water heater an repainting it and addin bout 6 more inches of insulation to it. not to mention cleanin all the glass an mirrors ..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2010
5:22 AM

Post #7666376

I have a muscle disorder but I know God can heal it. Until then I keep living and moving forward. I am looking forward to today. weather is supposed to be good and I have the day to myself.

Looks like 13 chicks out. 11 to go. Hard to count while I am trying to keep them from falling out the bator.

Sailer, do you have chickens now?

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7666383

Just counted them again. Think there are only 12.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7666393

Cajun, WhooHoo! Baby chicks!

Sailer, did you get you solar water heater put back together and back in place?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7666419

Maybe there are 13. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 30, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7667772

msrobin yes mam i sure did, the solar hotwater heater is back in operation now. means i can take a hot shower .. an stop scarein off all the lil animals .. LOL i wont go into the details tho...

Cajun ... Awsome on the hatch makes u feel like a proud papa dont it... always did me ne how... and yes ... God can heal your legs ... just takes faith ... for with God all things are possible.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7667949

Hey little fuzz butts! You keep Cajun up and at'em for us, OK?

Sending prayers to you Cajun... glad to hear your helper has showed up... that'll speed things along, all right. Bet he's pretty excited about the chicks, too!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7668196

My fave gardening buddies won't get here til summer after school lets out. My friend who just got back from Fla is a man who goes to our church. He and his wife spend the winters in Fla. Before they left we were talking about gardening. His wife said he could hardly wait to come back north so we could put the garden in. they just got back so we will get to work now!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 30, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7668497

Cajun.. right now i dont have any chickens because a Big Cat wipe'd em out for me this winter .. (big cat = black panther) which i really dint wanna shoot but i may have to powder her next year in order to have any chickens or goats or any other kinda livestock .. my pups sleep inside at nite ... the little bears never bother any thing like that .. but the big cat does ... mate'n season is comin up for her ... i kinda dread that time of year too.. she screams out like a woman screaming for her life of something, talk bout makin the hair on back of ya neck stand up .. LOL cold chills run from head to toe ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7669028

We had panthers in the woods and swamps back home. Here it's bears and coyotes but they haven't been a problem. We were listening to a yote last night. I have my BIG guard dog staked out between the goats and the chickens. It's kept them at bay thus far.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 31, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #7669221

yeah my chocolate lab gives em all trouble .. an i drop every coyote i can the put my crosshairs on ... the lil bears dont bother nothing .. but the big cats are like phantom's of the nite .. come in an take what they want without makein a sound untill its over with... then they let u know they've been there ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7669639

Hard to guard against that.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 31, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7670602

yeah but im gonna try again, got my eyes set on a friend that has some rode island reds .. so maybe .. my last ones were game hen's an rooster. fly like a bird but they still got caught. so i got chicken pens built now .. an a hen house. for what good it'll do.. but im still gonna give it another try. i got a few tricks up my sleeve this time too.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2010 8:27 PM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7670958

I sure hope you can make a go of it. I love having chickens.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7671550

yeah i really miss all the fresh yard eggs, bought eggs dont even compair to a good ole yard egg. talk about "rich" hehee they dont have yeller's ... they have oranges .. hahahahaa
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010

Post #7671557

You are right about that. A bought egg is like so much water. I can't stand 'em.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7671939

Yep, yard eggs rule. I am thankful that I have Amish and Mennonite nearby to get eggs from until I get my own chickens - yard run and not as pricey as the store ones that claim to be 'cage-free'.
By the way David, what is a 'salt box'? You mentioned storing food in them.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7672077

Free growing up in Md.Had bob cats and when my dog Sam would tree`em at night they I swear sounded like a baby crying.No lie you would have thought a baby was lost and crying in the woods
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7672079

Hey, Sunshine! I was going to ask what you were doing up, but I just remembered you were off last night.

I'll agree on the eggs. Orange yolks are so much better than yellow yolks and the whites cook so better too.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7672151

Hineni,
a salt box is a big wooden box made of thick hardwood with a lid (kinda like an ole chest) but its filled with salt, salt cures meats an protects them also ... once i smoke my meat ill put it in the salt box an cover it with salt, there it'll stay with out refridgeration and keep ... well for a looooooong time.

East,
yeah bobcats make a screeching sound also, but nothing like a panther .. a bobcat will make you take notice .. hehee a panther will make u take cover. FAST. they are cousins to the western cougars, mt. lions etc ... and being solid black .. the nite belongs to them, they are the master tracker an top of the food chain .. nothing will mess with em 'cept for man. hehe an a dumb one at that... they are too smart to be hunted and tracked .. as you track them .. they circle back around an track you tracking them. then your the food the hunter being hunted i guess u'd say ... hahaaa
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7672193

Being solid black, is there a possibility it's someones escaped/released pet? As in not native? I didn't think black panthers were native to NA. And there have certainly been several released into the wild by irresponsible folks.

And that makes for a REAL pest of a varmint.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7672307

Hey Free what`s shakin`Me just tidying up some loose ends,on my side.Wondering if i could take a lesf spring from a car [already curved] and sharpen to a draw knife?CAn I torch it/cut it re-temper need some info please. Thanx.Brian
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7672338

By the way Free,Bought a bag of loose tobacco the other day and I beleive I found some seeds in the bag.They were brown about 1/32*3/16 and oval does it ring a bell or do I have regular old weed seed`s that slipped through the seive? I`ll save them till I get a heads up.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7672385

East
baccy seeds are so small you could put 5 or so on the head of a pin. dont think u got baccy seeds .. unless it a full pod... an even a pod is larger than that. ...not sure what you got there.
as far as a drawin knife ... i think you'd ruin the temper in a leaf spring to heat it being its spring steel .. but it might work anyhow, sure wouldnt hurt to try ...

Jay
all the gamewardens say aint no black panthers round here .. well these has been here sence before my grandfathers grandfather ... my grandpaw was born here in 1909 .. and his grandfather back in the early 1800's they were here then .. they still here now .. so i'd surely say they were native ...
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:23 PM

Post #7672432

Free: Thanks for the info re: salt box; that makes sense now. The old timers around here swear we have panthers as well, but they get pooh-pooh'd by other old timers so who knows. For sure we have bobcats, 'yotes and fox, plus the run-o-the mill opossum and raccoons. From time to time a skull I don't recognize shows up in the Pyr's 'yard art' collection. I try to be nice to the trash men and put all the bodies in plastic bags. It wasn't too bad in winter when they were frozen stiff, but I don't want to be wrasslin' any dead critters into plastic bags in the heat this summer...LOL! Apparently several hunters field dressed their meat and left the remainders, which then ended up in my yard as chew toys. I'm hoping the scattered bones and big dogs keep scoundrels from sniffing around here :D However, before I mow I'll have to pick up all of said skulls; don't want to ruin the mower blades! (see photo)

MsRobin: Yep, had time today to surf for a little bit and try to get caught up on here as I am behind on so many threads! I think the mailman ran off the road when he saw me up before 13:00 today...hehe.

Thumbnail by Hineni

EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7672435

Thanx Free I`ll try it, wont torch it but cut it w/a carburundum,throw it to the wheel and see how she works again thanx Brian
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7672492

Robin, back out east the cougar is known as a panther or painter cat... it used to be an almost separate species, specially the Florida panther, but loss of habitat and hunting pressure has pretty much wiped 'em out. Now the western mountain lion, or cougar has moved into the territory. But neither species is black... though as Free points out, there have been sitings and tales of black cats for a long time. Last I heard, though, was that the few that had been killed and brought in were all non-native black panthers, which are usually either black variations of jaguars or leopards.

Wikipedia also notes the possibility of a "black" bobcat, which is a native species, but I'm pretty sure Free could tell the diff between a bobcat and a cougar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther#Reports_of_.22black_panthers.22_in_the_United_States
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7672501

Luckily, I don't believe I have any big cats or bears in my area. At least I haven't heard of any.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7672641

yeah when a cat is black .. waist high with kittens with her .. aint no mistakin what she is. an there's still things in the woods that most men or wildlife fish an game hasnt seen ... dont mean they dont exist.

LOL Hineni, you need to start a "bone yard" heheee (yep pun intended) sorry i couldnt help myself ...
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2010

Post #7672797

Well, if you shot it and took it in, then there'd either be proof (finally) of a black cougar and they'd throw your happy little hindend in jail for killing a species on the brink of extinction while several university types got famous writing papers about it, or it'd be proof folks are still releasing their 'pet' big cats into the wild when they got tired of 'em and you'd be a flaming hero for saving the gene pool or something.

Oh, gosh, what to do...
LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7672851

i enjoy my freedom too much
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7673006

Wow, hineni, that skull is BAD looking. Looks like some kind of prehistoric monster!

Free, seems like we had one black panther or maybe black jaguar, here in AZ recently, but F&G caught it and put an electronc collar on it, and it prompty died. Duhhhhh! Don't know why they can't just leave critters alone. If you or I had killed it, we would definitely be in the poky. Out here they are endangered.

Could you set up a camera somehow to take a picture of your Big Black Cats? I'd love to see one. We had a (regular) mountain lion with cubs living in our little canyon a few years ago, and mama followed my son & me and our 3 dogs up one side of the canyon, along the rim, and back down about a mile from here, but when we changed directions the wind was then blowing towards our backs and the dogs picked up her scent and charged her. She let out the most gawdawful scream I have ever heard, must have gone on for several minutes! One of the dogs came out of the brush with a bite on one of her front legs but she recovered okay, after a trip to the vet for a fresh rabies shot just in case, probably unnecessary. We could see her and the cubs playing in a cave on the far side of the canyon wall that afternoon, with binoculars. She & babies moved on the next day, it must have been getting too crowded for her! I still hear them growling from time to time -- don't care what the books say, they DO roar, sounds more like a growl. They come around when the elk are here and follow them around. My late husband and I had been hearing them for awhile and didn't know what they were, but my middle son came to visit and he said "Mom, don't think I'm crazy but I think I just heard a lion roar!" He was a Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey circus clown when he was 17 to 18, and knew what a lion sounded like! Ours do roar but it sounds like the last part of an African lion's roar, not the whole thing.
EastOfMidnite
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7673279

Free let it live.Nature will take its course,win some lose some.If it comes,well do what you must.Not in your position,so i`ll keep quiet on this one.hunger is a powerful thing.Especialy a mother and Kits.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7673714

Panthers! Now that has generated many fireplace conversations around here. In Texas, from TX Parks & Wildlife regulations "Mountain lions are not protected (in Texas) and can be harvested at any time." But TPW denied there being any for years. So someone shot one down in Lizard_keeps' neck of the woods. They tried to prove that it had been released from captivity. Since then there have been many sightings. We have seen two in the past 35 years here.

They have been found as far north as MN and yes, I understand there have even been sightings in KY.

Old folks here have always talked about hearing and seeing "painters" or panthers. Now, the fireplace discussion is there is no documentation of "black" panthers. There has never been a harvest of a black furred mountain lion. Even with all the hunters and their game cameras, never even been a valid photo of one. From this interesting article, http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/Watchablearticles/blackcats.cfm there are two black cats that have ranged thru the area from Florida to TX and they are possible what is being seen... a jaguar or the smaller jaguarundi.

Now, me? I'm a believer.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2010
5:03 AM

Post #7673742

Interesting, Podster. Nice article on the link. If we have any around here, I sure don't ever hear them.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 2, 2010
8:27 AM

Post #7674199

East, Azgrammie ... dont get me wrong, the only way i would take action against this cat is if it was trying to harm me or my pups or my grandkids. being Creek an Cherokee mix its against my beliefs to harm such a majestic animal only in protection of my own would i do such a thing.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 2, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7674335

oh yes .. what i do when im not chillin at Thistledome hehee if this works ... also the reason of my "nick name" freedom sailer ...

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7674450

pretty cool
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 2, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7674796

What is she?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 2, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7674857

Mcgregor 26D ... sleeps 6 .. full galley an head fully loaded ... got her in 01. had lots of fun and some long trips also ... was thinking about sellin her this year .. aint made up my mind yet tho...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 2, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7675789

Wow! super cool!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 3, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7676602

got a storm this morning, lots of thunder n lightning and rain, so all my lil seeds i planted yesterday in my gardens. squash, cucumbers, black crowder peas, basil corn (both white and yellow) turnip greens, my radishes an brussel sprouts are already up an growning, ah an my baccy plants, planted lots of wild flower mixes also. so everything got a good watering.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7676861

Good going! That's why I was working so hard getting everything out to garden that I could yesterday. Wanted them to get a good watering. One and half hours of steady rain this morning.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 3, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7676899

Thats great MsRobin, sounds like u did the same thing as myself... now just hope an pray it all comes up an makes a good crop ... course anything you grow is one less you'll have to pay top dollar for at the gro. store ..
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7677963

It was a bit overcast this morning and I thought it might rain so I fed and watered early. Then the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. I boiled a dozen eggs and we went to the church egg hunt. It was so much fun. After they found all the eggs everybody sat around and ate eggs. there was also pop and Reeses eggs. Then Sister Judy, the youth leader, had kites for all the kids. the wind was blowing and they all had a blast. After that we went to a friend's to visit, then to another friend's to eat birthday cake with her. After that we fed the other horses and went back home. I did a bit more work and brushed 2 horses down. Then we went to the grocery store. After that I worked in the yard until after dark. I got 12 taters planted in bags and I sowed a pot of sage. Now i am off to bed.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 3, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7678035

wow .. sounds like yhou had a full day of it Cajun ... i'd be ready for bed myself after all that ... rest well
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7678290

My little seedlings look nice and happy in the garden after this morning's rain. No new deer tracks. I tied white plastic grocery sacks to several small posts around the newly planted area last nite.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 4, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7679063

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE May God bless You and Yours ...
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7679097

Freedom, When I was a little girl, we always salted down our meat for a few days, (weeks) and then took off the excess salt and hung them in the smoke house. We used hickory wood, and slow smoked it for several days (weeks) and just left it hanging when it was done. I don't know the exact timing, but my dad always scraped salt off and checked the meat for readiness. He also checked after smoking. I wish I had paid better attention to the timing, and of course, everyone who knew this is dead. (In my family). I'm sure there are places on the net that have the exact times, if there are exact times! A lot has to do with the weather. Good luck with all your endeavors, I admire you!
PS: To us, a salt box was a box to keep your salt in to keep it dry!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2010 10:58 AM
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 4, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7679895

yeah time'n is a fine line, i smoke deer an all kinds of meats .. then pack em in the salt box ... they all seem to keep just fine ... i keep mine in my root celler ne how cool an dark in there, guess that helps too.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7680852

How big is your root cellar?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 5, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7681098

Cajun its only a little 6x6 very small .. but stays very cool even in the hot summer time.
i may build a larger one in another year or two but for now it holds what i store in it to get me through the winters
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7682862

Is it actually below ground? I'd love to see some pics. I'm hoping to store some stuff in the cellar this coming winter.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 5, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7682983

ill see if i cant get a pic of it, the flash on my digital cam has bit the dust so to speak ... and i built it under my cabin kinda like a minature basement. never gets any light under there. but ill see what i can do bout a pic.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 7, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7686240

well i think the pic of my root celler is totaly out now. i took 3 an they are so dark you cant see anything even when i lighten'd em up with the photo program .. so maybe i can get one of it the next time one of my kids show up with one of their digital cam's. i even tried one while holdin a spot light on it .. dint work either. so maybe soon.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2010
8:50 AM

Post #7686593

Could you explani how you built it? Friends of ours built a shed above ground out of block. They stuffed the blocks full of sawdust as they built it up. They use it as a root cellar.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 7, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7686858

i dug it out 7x7 ft. then layed 12in cement blocks on the walls an filled them with sand. then poured a cement floor in it. put in a 3 ft. by 5 foot door and sealed it off the roof of it is actualy the floor below my kitchen in my cabin. my celling hight is only 5 ft. so i have to duck to enter and store n retrieve stuff. shelves and hooks on the walls an cellings to hang mesh bags etc on with taters n onions .. apples what ever that years crops were .. plus alot of my canned (mason jar's) veggies i put there too. and my salt box for smoked meats etc... LOL took some shovel work then my little tiller made things lots easier, easy to shovel n move loose dirt ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7689053

Sounds like a good deal. this house has a cellar. The previous owner dug it out with a mattock! It's not finished. Has a gravel floor and a slow seep so the humidity likely gets a bit high. I keep a few canned goods down there and I'd like to store my harvest this year but I gotta get rid of the striped chipmunks. Wonder if they'd go for rat poison.

My favorite place to visit in the Smokies is Cades Cove. there is a preserved homestead you have to hike to that I could spend all day at. It has a seperate kitchen hooked onto the house by a walkway. It has a spring house in the little creek behind the house. It's up off the ground in front because of the way the ground lays. They have it closed in and used it for a root cellar. It's all logs of course and I just love being there.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 8, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7689227

kewl, been to Cades Cove many times in my life, wonderfull place to visit,
and yes the chipmunks will go for rat poison .. but u need to find out where they are gettin in at at stop that place up with cement or something an finish sealing it all off, as far as the seep goes. not alot you can do abou that other than find a low spot an dig down with posthole diggers as deep as u can go an place a grate over the hole where u wont step in it an break a leg .. this will help keep the seep water from buildin up in it an give it a place to drain out an back into the ground water. you could also case the hole with pvc pipe an install a small slump pump in it an pump it out into a resavour or somekind an use it to water the gardens or what ever with ...
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7689251

We missed that place Cajun, when we toured Cades Cove. We hiked back to one, but I don't remember the seperate kitchen.

When I went with Sunny to look at some places in eastern Kentucky, there was one place that had been owned by a Amish couple, with an "outdoor" kitchen in a big screened room off the back of the kitchen with a big attic area over it and a huge walk-in root cellar right behind it built into a hiilside. Coolest place I've ever seen, but the whole place needed so much work and it was pretty trashed from neighborhood vandals. The realtor told her to offer $10,000, but it'd cost at least $40-$50,000 to get it livable.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 8, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7689667

its alot cheaper when you do the work yourself ... but the cost of materials has gone through the roof too, im building a small saw mill to mill my lumber an beams with, shoulda done it along time ago but .. LOL just now got the time .. kinda .. hehee
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7690119

Lots of folks have sawmills here abouts. They cut wedges and supports for the mines.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 8, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7690161

very kewl, there use to be lots of sawmills round here also, but not anymore, with the exception of the large timber companys but they dont sell to the public. i worked at one in my younger years for awhile an enjoyed it. my first real job i ever had was picking cotton .. then the saw mill .. i worked the green chain stacking and gradeing lumber as it came off the saw. 12 hour days with only 30 mins for lunch. only breaks you got was when the sawyer stoped to sharpen the saw or had a breakdown. LOL an now im gonna build a small one.. hehee who's mind did it warp .. hahahahaaa
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7694036

We used to go to a big sawmill and get dust by the trailer loads for our stalls. I loved watching the work. It looked hard but it was interesting.

Some people here have sawmills mounted on their flat bed trucks.
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7694053

My daddy had a "sawmill", just the big blade with a homemade rest of it! He did his own thing! He also made crossties in the woods of NE Ark. and sold them to the railroad. This was in the late 40s and early 50s. Aaahhh, the good ole days! And the things we remember! The pump bu the back door, with the trough for water to cool the milk that I had to keep filling with water! No electricity, yet, so we pumped our wash water, unless we caught it in barrels and put lime in it to reduce the iron rust in it! I could go on!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 10, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7694167

Doe41, go on all you wish, lots of the ole ways are gone and forgotten, always nice when someone brings back memories like that, which can still be used today ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7694761

Ditto! I love to hear about those days.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 11, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7697585

yeah you help me to remember things i've long forgotten, an different people did it different ways but all were simple. which to me is the best way. most of it all is a lost art now... even the old smoke houses an root cellers .. wash boards... mule an horse drawn plows .. so many of the old and better ways are lost. which makes us rely on (cough) modern means of survival instead of the simple most of the time "free" ways ... just means more work
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 14, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7706255

ooooooh spring time i do love so much, i think im plantin myself todeath LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7706357

What have you planted so far? I planted 9 chinese cabbage today.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 14, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7706518

just today, white and yellow corn, okra, cucumbers, pole beans, squash, tomatoes, radishes, zucinni (SP?) hahaa and some of my favorite black crowder pea's and pumpkin.
i know i missed something but cant remember what it was now
bout two weeks from now ill be transplanting tobacco
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7706971

Be so glad when frost date passes here. I am anxious to get started.

Tobacco is grown a lot in Ky but not in our area. Do you grow it for your own use or is it a cash crop for you?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 15, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7707111

personal use, an to help out some friends of mine that cant afford to keep up their habit, long as no money changes hands an u give it aways... no laws broken, so they lend a helpin hand hoe'n it and helpin to harvest it an all .. works out good,
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2010

Post #7707749

Barter is an age old tradition. Do they help you with other chores?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 15, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7707840

yes sometimes if i ask they do, im kinda a "rather do it myself" kinda person, dont like askin for help. but i do if i really need it
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7709147

You sound like my Momma. She will be 80 in August and she just started another job. Taking care of an "old" lady. LOL My Momma already irons full time. She won't quit til they close the lid on her.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 16, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7710452

LOL thats very kewl, its what She does an we do that keeps us active and healthy i work at something from daylight to dark ...
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7711056

Cajun, good for your Mom! Hard work never hurt anyone. Too bad that so many folks have given up on doing anything when they are actually still young.
I will be 77 in a few days, and I thank God that I am in excellent health. I need to stay strong, as my DH is a disabled vet, and can't do any kind of work.

I work hard out in the garden, and sleep like a baby.

Sailer, I am another one who likes to do things myself. I have 4 big, strong grown sons living nearby, who are always telling me to let them do the heavy stuff for me. I just tell them that if I don't 'load test' my bones, I will end up with osteoporosis. So far, so good.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 16, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7711323

very very true, im only 52 an i can still work circles around ne of my 8 kids .. an my 14 grandkids
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
5:59 AM

Post #7712166

I am only 49 but I have MD and am getting weaker. The winter really took a toll on me. I still try to do everything but just can't manage a lot of the heavy stuff anymore. It makes me so mad when I can't manage something on my own.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 17, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7712200

i know that feeling very well, but where there's a will there's a way
i might give out but i never give up .
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7712545

I can't move 100lb feed sacks anymore so I open them and take the feed out in buckets that I can manage. I still get the feed where it needs to go but it takes a lot longer.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 17, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7713015

LOL yeah i do that now, i think its just good planning an use of time an motion
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7713619

Hi, All!

I use all kinds of little things to make it possible for me to do some things I'm not physically capable of doing at times. But I also do "load tests" frequently, too. I use a couple of little carts to haul buckets, heavy bags, etc around. A wagon for bigger stuff. A folding grocery cart for weed cuttings to haul across the yard. Knee pads to work at ground level in the garden, since I don't have much stamina in my back and legs.

Miss you all!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7713664

I have 2 wheeled wheel barrow but I need a 4 wheeled wagon with big fat tires. There is a nice one with a dump feature at TSC but it has a handsome price. So until then I'll just have to carry my buckets around. I think they get heavier everyday. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 18, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7715057

excellent ideas, its good to use your mind instead of your back ne how, mind over matter thing. more than one way to skin a cat. hahaa so to speak an how the ole sayin goes.
Caliche
Hill Country, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7715224

David, if I had to depend on my 'fine' mind to get my work done, I would be sunk. LOL
Usually, I just piddle away at a job until it gets done. If I looked at the whole picture and tried to make a plan, I would never get done.

Cajun, thankfully our feed store only carries feed in 50# sacks, and I can still carry them. Sometimes when I am tired, I will take out a bucketful at a time. When I unload sacks from the pickup to the shed, I use a hand truck (dolly).
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7715348

Caliche, I do use a to-do list where my bigger jobs are broken into bite size pieces. I personally need the structure the list provides.

One of favorite load carrying tools is using a luggage cart thingy. Looks like a tiny dolly/two-wheeler, used for large pieces of luggage, and I bungee cord a milk crate to it. The nice thing about this item, is you can strap on a second milk crate over the bottom one and easily carry 8 gallons of water.

Sounds like a lot of us have more want-to than can-do, but this statement seems to fit and I am so sorry, it's the low oxygen causing this this rambling...any one can eat a whole elephant, one bite at a time. I hope we all can encourage and congratulate each other with our successes and attempts!.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 18, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7716231

Amen Msrobin, very well said. wooohoooooooo i have black crowder peas comeing up, looks like a good stand of em too. my most favorite pea in the world
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2010

Post #7718361

Robin, I surely can't claim to be smart but I have become wiser. Not always the same thing. I notice my mind is not as quick as it used to be thanks to the muscle disorder. It takes longer to compute things but I still do fine. I always try to keep my mind busy. My memory has suffered also. It's take longer to retrieve things from my memory. Some things are just lost forever. LOL I write things down most time so I don't worry so much about forgetting important stuff. Now if I could just remember where I write it all. :)

That's a good tip about the luggage buggy. I have seen them several times at thrift stores. It would help until I can afford that nice 4 wheeled wagon with the dump feature. ** drooling at the thought of it ** Here's an idea. I could get a Nubian whether (sp?) and train him to pull a light utility wagon that I could ride on. Then I could ride to my work, carry my doodads, have good company and it wouldn't cost much to feed him. I'd have to make sure he was a bottle baby so he's be very gentle and want to be with me all the time. Hmmm

Good job on the peas! I need to get some more planting done today. I'm going to go to my friend's house this afternoon when it cools off a bit and DH gets home. Gonna plant my beans and a few more things.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 19, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7718561

ARgggggggggggg, not sure what to think about the guy who invented the "weedeater" dont know if i outta hug him .. or look him up n punch him in the nose .. LOL YES ... ive spent my morning weedeat'n Whew
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7719312

All I've got to say is I miss my goats and I love my weed eater! Wish I had a little goat cart to have pulled around. I use my weed eater to clear my walkways in the garden. I can sure put a shine on that red clay soil! LOL

I'm home and doing fine so far. But I'm pretty tired, so think I'm going to bed pretty quick. 8 days and still not smoking. WhooHoo! Not to worry...I'm not going to preach or anything. I'm just proud I could get through 1 day, let alone a full week.

I'll check back in a couple of days.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 20, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7720473

im planting tobacco seeds .. an have some almost ready to transplant outside now hheee ...

Way to go MsRobin Congrads to you an i hope it works out, uh .. i think this is where im 'pose to give you a big hug an say Good Luck to ya.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2010
10:43 PM

Post #7723102

I second your emotions on the weed eater inventor Freedom; of course, I'm usually annoyed at mine because it won't START when I have carved out time in the week to tackle the weed eating chore. It's a fickle thing; works one day, takes off a couple of days. Hmmm, maybe I have a teen-aged weed eater??
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7723709

Congrats on being smoke free, msrobin. You go, Girl!!!

I went to my friend's house yesterday and planted 4 rows in the garden. Planted the rest of my taters ( the ones in the bags are looking nice), the rest of my sweet, yellow and red onions I didn't have room for here, an assortment of bush beans, red and yellow beets, turnips, carrots and a salad blend of greens.

Forgot to list the swiss chard.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2010 3:07 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7723984

Thanks, Cajun and Free. Not smoking is a breeze so far. Being on an emotional roller coaster and crying at the drop of a hat has got to end soon!

Henini, always got to have a backup plan. Those mechanical things are notorious for only working when they want to and it's not always at our conveinence. LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7724169

Let the goats out and fed the chicks and chickens. Picked up 6 eggs so far. Can't feed the horses yet because their pulp is still soaking.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7724585

I finally got all my seedlings and supplies out of the house and over to the greenhouse. Think I'll be setting up camp there for awhile tomorrow and make a priority list of things to be done. Sure is nice to have my kitchen back, too.

The garden looks pretty good. Lost a lot of Swiss Chard transplants, but everything else is growing well. I'll bet with a little watering or rain, that it will really take off! Maybe tonite!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7724780

Got the horses and pigs fed. Got the goats fed and penned back up. I usually let them stay out later but we have church tonight. Picked up 2 more eggs. I have 2 hens trying to set. 1 is a little white bantam and the other is a William MacCrea Roundhead game hen. I have to nudge them off the nest with my cane. The bantam, Twinkle, has been trying to set for a week or so. I could tell yesterday the game hen, Saphire, was thinking on the subject. She was walking around clucking softly and was fluffing up at the other hens. I don't want either of them to hatch off any chicks so I'll just keep taking the eggs until they give up on the notion. I have 2 dozen bantam eggs in the bator now and 23 chicks in 4 different cages between the LR and the porch. I don't need anymore chicks!

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 21, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7724934

Awwww cute lil doodies there, i miss raising lil chick's ... i think its time to get some more ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7725652

Here are 2 of the game chicks. I think they are all hens. We wanted roos on these. LOL

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
7:00 AM

Post #7726742

I think you're right! roos would have a lot more color!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7731130

I have noticed with my chicks, they don't get their colors till later. these chicks are only a couple months old. But they are built more like hens and they don't have big combs yet. No wattles starting yet either.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 1, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7754978

Finaly some rain here in Alabama an all my garden seeds are coming up finaly.. wooooooooo hoooooooooooo hehee see'n lil sprouts poke through the ground always excites me.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 1, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7755147

Some people are easily amused.

Wish it would rain here.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7756000

We are getting rain right now. i had to go out and cover some chicken pens.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 2, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7757948

a day later and still raining LOL woooo hooooooo oh yes more to come also
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7760268

We got a whole lot of rain yesterday and last night but the sun is in and out today and it is warm. The creek is talking loud.

I just found 2 trees that sure look like fig trees, on the hill side beside the driveway. Don't know why anybody in their right mind would have planted them there as it would be nearly impossible to pick them. But if it is figs I will find a way to get them picked! LOL The leaves look just like the leaves on our turkey Brown figs back home and the trunks look the same too. I hope they are figs. I love figs.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 5, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7767339

wow way kewl Cajun, i hope they are figs also. hard to beat good ole homemade fig preserves on a hot bisquet hehee .. ive been filling sand bags an stackin em all day im just about give out. hahahaa
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7770893

Turns out they are not figs. :(
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 6, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7770985

well dang, ya might just have to plant ya some then. i got some sprouts off my Mom's fig trees i just hope they take root an grow now.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7771040

First year on the Brown Turkey here. Looking forward to many more.

Sailer ~ you said "ive been filling sand bags an stackin em all day im just about give out." Are you building a bunker, preparing for an oil slick or expecting a flood?
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 6, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7771121

Cajun, were they sassafras? I know the leaves on those look similar to the wonderful fig tree we had back in Atlanta.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7771596

I think it is some kind of gum tree. The leaves look like figs on the smaller trees but change on the bigger trees. Oh well, C'est La Vie!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7773508

Hi, Sailor. I somehow 'lost' this thread, and just found it again. Your overshot wheel looks marvelous. I was thinking to do something similar with the overflow from my spring, but recently it must have had a cave-in back in the mountain somewhere. Still flowing enough to water the garden, but not enough to turn a wheel much. I have a wide creek (well, not very wide, maybe 12-15 feet) in front but it's shallow and NO drop/fall for at least 1,000 feet upstream (and not on my property). Here's a winter shot showing a bit of my creek. (I'm away from home and other photos are on a portable drive at home.)

I'm intrigued by your salt box. I plan to try my hand at smoking a few things but I'm not sure my block root cellar is cool enough year-round for storage. Only the back end is in the ground. There is a shed here that must have been the smokehouse at some point. Chimney pipe is still the ceiling, but I use the space for tools. Actually I want to build a smoker but a chicken pen comes first.

Thumbnail by darius

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
10:47 PM

Post #7774369

Please pray for my DH. He is in the hospital. His sugar and BP both went very high today. He was talking but making no sense. A CT scan showed a spot on his brain. An MRI is scheduled for tomorrow.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 7, 2010
10:55 PM

Post #7774377

Oh, I'm so sorry. Hoping for the best.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #7775186

Your DH is where he should be for treatment and you have your faith to carry you through. Hang in there.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7776398

They decided against the MRI because DH has a bullet lodged in his arm that has been there for 26 years. They opted for another CT scan but with contrast (dye). The neuro came in with preliminary results and said though she cannot be sure, it does not look to be a tumor. PTL!!! She still does not know what it is so please continue to pray for him. They put him on blood thinners. And please say a prayer for me. i fell in the barn today trying to get the feeding done so i could get to the hospital. I had to stop at a yard sale on the way there and buy me a clean shirt. :) My life is never dull. My whole right side is sore and I am afraid it will be worse in the morning.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 8, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7776659

It is a good thing that they found out about the bullet! Slow down and take care, you will be no help if you too are in the hospital. Hoping all the best for you both. Keep us posted.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2010
4:29 AM

Post #7776884

(((Cajun))), continued thoughts and prayers for you and your husband. If you get offers of help from your friends up there, please don't turn them down. You can surely use the help right now.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 18, 2010

Post #7805563

Hope all comes out well Cajun, my thoughts and prayers are with you both.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7806313

The last few days have been very good ones. DH is feeling really good and the numbers have been very good. He is getting out and visiting with friends.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 19, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #7806662

Great news!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 19, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7808681

Thats great, glad to hear the good news
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7808952

Went to the hospital pharmacy today and picked up the rest of DH's IV meds. They even gave us flush and heparin and the syringes for it, all at no cost. It's a blessing from God. DH is feeling good and sugar is staying down. His color is good now and his spirits are up. He is insisting I go on the trip this weekend with the ladies from church. The ladies are paying my way and the men are going to feed for me. A lady from the church is a retired home health nurse and she will do his meds while I am gone. I could use the break but I feel kinda selfish taking a trip.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 19, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7809404

Go for it. It will make everyone feel good.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #7829160

Went on my trip. Had a great time and nothing fell apart or died at home while I was gone.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

May 26, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7831437

Woooooo Hooooooo way to go Cajun
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7832321

Cajun. glad you went on the trip and had fun. You needed a little break. I know it was a hard decision for you to go.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 3, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7856350

well almost got my dam built up to the level i want it now. now to get it sealed and install my waterwheel an generator an start makin some power.

oh yes podster, thats the reason i was stacking sandbags

This message was edited Jun 3, 2010 5:38 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7856411

Aha ~ that was about the time all the bad flooding was going on and I wondered if you were anticipating problems. Now I understand.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7856415

Sailer -at this moment - you are my "hero" of the moment. Keep on Keep'in on dude, may we all reach your level of self-sufficiency.
About twenty people were "laid off" where I work today, and I sweat bricks for a couple of hours wondering if I was one of them.

This is not a good way to live, yours is much better. Rock on dude.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 5, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7861495

i think its a good idea no matter where u live to find ways to suppliment your power needs, there's lots of ways it can be done, solar, water, wind an even some others that im still experimenting with, like that ole saying a penny saved is a penny earned. even solar pre-heaters before cold water reaches your hotwater heater saves a bundle, soooooo many ways Mother Nature can help you out.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7862452

I wish i was handy with tools and was strong.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 6, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7863532

any one can learn how to use tools Cajun, just get out there an do it, hahaa an strong im on ly 5'8" 145 lbs and fixing to turn 53 later this month, with me its mind over matter. the old ways with levers, blocks, rope, trees what ever i can use to make it work. i built my cabin with out any help from any one totatly by myself. im not strong by a long shot, i just figure out alternitive ways of doing things.
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7863574

like Pa said use your head not your back it works better and wont hurt half as much later in life boy .. now if i had only listen and understod that meaning LOL

The Sarg.

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

honeysucklemoon
Crawfordville, FL

June 6, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7864801

I think you're living the life of Riley, Freedom. Most folks dream of getting off the grid and striking out on their own, but you actually had the courage to do it. Your little Chihuaha is cute...what's his/her name? I bet that little dog is great company!
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7864836

freedom_sailer,

you have a Kool plce going on there mine is not quite there yet but i am worken on it yours gives me something to look at thank you .
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7866289

I have lots of plans and hopes. But I have MD and walking is hard some days. I can still dream though. And enjoy your successes.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 7, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7866661

honeysucklemoon, his name is tink, an yes he's great company, thank you for the comments also.

Ret_Sgt_Yates, thank you also, it came with lots n lots of hard work, still isnt finished LOL probably never will be compleatly finished, ill call it Work In Progress. hahaha

Cajun, you can dream all you wish, an good things come to thoes who wish, i use to have a saying.. goes something like this:

All men dream, but not equally. For the Dreamers of the Night awaken to find that it was merely their vanity. But the Dreamers of the Day are the dangerous ones for they dream with their eyes open and they make things happen.

also : Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, satan shudders & says.. Dang ... He/She is awake. LOL

honeysucklemoon
Crawfordville, FL

June 7, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7866688

Freedom...I love the dream quote. And the other one I actually have pinned up right here at the computer desk! Mine says, "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "Oh no, she's up!!
Kiss that Tink for me! What a sweetie!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 8, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7870534

tiller bout whipped my rear end today, workin on my lil baccy patch here at the cabin, but i have lil squash now so im happy. pumpkin blooms lil cucumbers all kinds of good things goin on in the garden.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7870685

Sounds like progress... and good food to come!

My experience with tillers is that the rear-tines don't wear me out as much as fighting the front-tine ones.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 8, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7871213

Darius, you are sooo right. only thing is i have to use what i have which is a front tine. an my upper body can really tell when i use it. cant really afford to buy a new one just to have a rear tine when my old tiller run flawless and very dependable also. ive broke new ground with it, hittin stumps an big roots LOL thats when it feels like a mule done kicked you.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 13, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7885974

another beautiful Sunday has passes with a sunrise an a sunset that should be in the record books. an new work week will start early in the morning. planting more mater plants an gathering fresh veggies from the garden .. along with workin on the water wheel some more ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7886249

It's been raining here for days. the creek is a raging torrent but it goes down quick when the rain quits. the yearling got in the rain and got chilled. then he layed in a mud bank and shivered. got him up and took him to the house. Fed him a warm mash, cleaned him up with warm water and blanketed him. He is doing fine now, the little wimp. LOL The 2 mares on the kudzu covered mountain side are in heaven. Going to take Shaq over there in a few days. Got company from home right now.
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

June 14, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7886797

freedom,

I'm a lurker here (one of many, I'm sure) but I wanted you to know that I'm really looking forward to pics of your water wheel/generator..!!

Envy and admiration here...

domer
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 14, 2010

Post #7887039

Cajun, glad your little yearling is ok, an enjoy your company.

Domer, ill take as many pic's as i can an get em posted asap. when i start doing the install. dont be a lurker jump in feet first and have a blast. just finished designing my mount for it a couple days ago. i like doing things different from most. ive never been the "norm" at anything .. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 18, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7901543

finaly the creek is going down enought for me to maybe seal my dam off an get my waterwheel mount installed now. then to mount the heavy dang thang .. then all the belts pullys an generator. my luck it'll probably rain n raise the creek up before i get it all done. hehee "go with the flow" hahaa
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 20, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7906538

What's the old saying: "Lord willing and the creek don't rise..." ?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 21, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7906909

LOL you got it Porkpal, cause i sure need to finish sealing the dam off before installing the waterwheel. my luck if i get the cart before the horse the horse will end up being lame hehee
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7907918

Didn't read every word in your responses and questions so forgive me if you have answered this question. Would like to know if you have an online store anyone in this audience would like to shop from? Great life you're living.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 21, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7908655

Yes i do, not sure if i can post it without gettin into trouble or something.
so it may get taken off. just a few of my crafts. i do many more thats not posted there.

(link removed by me untill i figure out how to add it to my members page)
LOL

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 5:38 PM

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 6:37 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7908666

Sailer... post it on the bottom of your DG member page as your homepage.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 21, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7908789

Thanks darius, tryin to figure it out now
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 21, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7908807

ok i think i got it now .. LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 21, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7908929

Yep, I checked, and it's there. That way you can always say in a post to see your member page for the site, instead of posting the site link.
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7909574

Now if only I knew how to get to your member page. New to this website and still green. Can never find most of the things I have looked at previously. Luck I found this again. Help?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7909619

Just click on the person's name in the left column.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 22, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #7910123

Yeaaaaaaaaa it worked, i learnt something new. i see u laughin at my spellin now .. hehee
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7910170

I hate to plead stupid but I clicked on your name and went to your home page and then clicked on your website thistle dome creations and some other optiions came up including your picture. Clicked on your website again and same thing came up. All I want to do is see what you have for sale. HELP?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7910335

ernbran is right. Sailer... you need to put the correct URL in for your site, otherwise it just links to your DG member page...
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 22, 2010

Post #7910858

hehee ok, should work now an if it dont copy n paste it ... im lost
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 22, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7911019

Worked for me.
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7911239

IT WORKS. Thanks. Don't have time to look right now but will surely look closely at all your carvings. Looks like a lot of work. Thanks for working on this for me. Hope others look and you can sell lots of things.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 22, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7911655

YEAAAAAAAA .. it wurks wuts spell check ?
huked on fonics wurked fur me ...
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 22, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7912313

well looks like ill be pouring cement tomorrow, seal off my dam an level it up. then maybe if the creek gets a lil bit lower ill install my waterwheel. cant wait to have more power to use. then get by big windmill up n goin. sooo many projects an the gardens too. ah well i dont get bored for sure LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 23, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7913295

yep, mixing an pouring cement today. sometimes i miss my mixer but shovel an wheelbarrow works too . 91 deg. headin to 98 again today. i gotta be a glutton for punishment. LOL
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7913317

Nah...just a man on a mission. LOL!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 23, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7913346

yeah maybe, hehee some said im crazy to live like i do. but i wouldnt have it any other way. my Dad always said "what dont kill you will make you stronger" also " a job worth doing is worth doing right" but then again he knew i was a wild card. hahaa
just wish he was still around for guidence an to see it all. but Mom is happy about it all. ... but i think Dad is looking down an thinking ... HEY DO IT LIKE THIS. THAT'LL NEVER WORK. HAHAHAA , my Dad was and still is my Hero, end of story.

oh yes pic's will be coming soon too ;-D
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 23, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7913673

ok, this man's mission is bout finished for today, ive poured meself out LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7915104

Looking forward to the pics.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 24, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7915927

have to wait at least 48 hours to remove the form, i got a few pic's durin the process an ill take some after i remove the form an then post em, probably be monday morning, give it a couple extra days just for good measure.
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7916094

HAPPY BITHDAY TO YOU. Have a great day

Thumbnail by ernbran

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 24, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7916478

Thank You very much, just another year older.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

June 24, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7916505

I've been following along also. Interesting thread!! And wanted to add my Happy Birthday to the rest. My son has a cabin he hand built in the woods, with solar power and a generator. He's thinking about making a windmill now.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 24, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7917009

awsome Cat, and Thank You for the b/d wishes... here i have solar, soon a waterwheel generator an my windmill is bout 1.2 way finshed, gonna be a 12 footer, i dont go for the speed like the new designs i want the high tourqe old style. but it'll only have 6 blades 1 foot across.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2010 1:56 PM
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

June 24, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7917137

I'm trying to come up with ways of making a little extra money so I can get out of the job I have now, and was thinking about making solar panels. Have been digging up all the info I can find on it, but I haven't really had time to study it out yet. They don't look that hard to make. A bonus to that, is I could make some for myself CHEAP!!! :-) I don't understand how any of it works, but my son does, and I can get him involved.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7917241

Laudable; I've thought about the same thing myself... but only making them for me. Looks easy if you have a steady hand and a large flat workspace...
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

June 24, 2010

Post #7917285

I found a video that makes it look really easy. Do you know a good place to order the cells Darius?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7917391

Nope... I've just watched a bunch on ebay. I think Paul (forget his DG name, but he's in FL, and active on the Sustainability forum) buys batches of damaged cells for his panels.
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

June 24, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7917701

Phicks? I remember a long time back him saying he made his own panel. I may dmail him and ask where he gets them. Thanks Darius!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7917769

Yep, that's him.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 26, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7921982

hehee i poured more cement yesterday on the end closest to the cabin now all i like is the far end of the dam an spillway and ill be ready to install my little waterwheel an get my generator hooked up for some test runs, hahaa my luck will be no rain an no overflow an ill have to wait for winter rains to set in. but .. good things come to thoes who wait. or so im told .. hahahaa
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7922607

PICS !!! (needed)
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 26, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7922805

Dyson,
pic's soon to come, myabe monday, comin a flood now, good test of my spillway hight an all .
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7926130

Congrats to you freedom_sailor for being so independent and a belated happy b-day!... I have really enjoyed reading this thread and I hope to live off grid someday...As for now i am raising my 15 year old son by myself, my wife of 23 years walked off and left us about 3 years ago..its tough sometimes..and to add to the whole deal, i can relate to y'all that can't do it like you used to...I drove an 18 wheeler for 16 years, had a accident and I tell ya...after 3 back surgeries it is a new adventure everyday for sure!! I sure do thank God for ingenuity (sp?) and "want to"..LOL..
Great thread and keep those pics coming freedom_sailor!!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7926939

ok now maybe for some pic's

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7926949

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7926952

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7926956

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:22 AM

Post #7926958

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7926962

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7926980

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7927007

ok, still alot of work to be done, on the far side i still have to finish the spillway, an level it all up some more but that is the base of the dam so far, stacked sand bags. lots of rebar, angle iron 4 old car bumpers ( when they were actualy made from steal) hahaa chicken wire, and standard reinforcement wire. at this point it is 3 ft. tall, but its built upon a natural rock dam. about 4 inches higher will give me the hight i need. also on the spill way side (far side) there'll be a gate to open or shut when needed incase i need to drop the water level to do waterwheel or generator maint. and of course my nifty waterwheel mount so i can raise or lower the wheel during flood conditions. ill be able to carry it from an overshot to an undershot wheel to take advantage of flooding an keep my wheel at a safe level above an out of all the force of the water. also i have to finish the back side of the dam, hahaa havent even started on it yet, nor the raceway to carry the water from the overflow to the wheel. so there'll be lots more work an pictures to come as its "slowly" compleated.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2010 7:43 AM
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7927147

I sure don't know what I am looking at in these pictures. Only thing I recognized was a foot.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 28, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7927863

Is there also a natural drop behind the dam? So it's 3' high on this side and higher (lower) behind?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010

Post #7927938

3 feet natural drop on the back side into a solid rock pool. an the dam is three feet above that on the upper side. i think i have a pic somewhere of the natural dam. ill have to check and see before i started working on it. oh ok here's one pic of the waterfalls from the back side before i started work on the dam.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7927955

this pic shows a little bit of the pool. its solid rock worn out by water flow for no telling how long, bowl shaped and about 6 ft. deep. an belive me it is COLD hahaa i still toss a mesh bag of drinks or what ever in it with a rope attatched to keep em cold in the summertime. the water in front of the falls in that pic was around 6 inches deep. kinda muddy so you cant really tell by looking at the pic.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2010 1:23 PM

porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 28, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7928017

That should give you some pretty good waterpower!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 28, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7928204

yes im hope'n it will, but of course a dry summer it will go almost dry but there's always water in that pool below the dam.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2010 8:39 PM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7929219

That's very interesting stuff.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 29, 2010
4:42 AM

Post #7929687

just shows you what you can do if you use all the available resources at hand. i think yawl gonna enjoy my windmill project also .. i love building from scratch. just what ever i can find to do my projects with.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

June 30, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7932549

well rained yesterday off n on all day. looks to be about the same today, but i did get to pour some cement, removed the forms this morning and all looks good, now to work on the spillway, it will be what guages the water level above the dam with a gate in it,if im expecting dry conditions for a while ill close the gate an "store" up more water. then to build the raceway for the waterwheel .. lil closer everyday.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 3, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7940324

Well in case i dont make it in tomorrow HAPPY 4th of JULY to Everyone, have a safe one and dont eat too much. hehee
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7940408

Happy 4th right back at you. Have a good day and don't eat too much possum. And - - - -Happy 4th to all my fellow gardeners.

Thumbnail by ernbran

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2010
12:04 PM

Post #7940598

Fireworks last evening, picnic this afternoon, all is well in Rocky Mount, Virginia.

Best too all, and too all a best 4th.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 3, 2010

Post #7940734

Happy 4th on the 3rd. LOL We will be having our church service at the big picnic shelter at a local park. Then we will have a cookout and play games all day. Looking forward to it. Tonight we are going to a pig roast and horse show. Great weekend ahead.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 5, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7944271

Well i hope everyone had a safe an happy 4th, now im ready to get back to work on projects pending.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 8, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7953477

LOL everyone must be on vacation now, shhhhhhhhhhhh we's hunting wabbits, be berry berry quiet.. hehee
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2010

Post #7953647

Is it wabbit season there?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7953798

It is so hot and dry here. We are having to haul water to the horses at the barn across the mountain because the creek has all but dried up. Garden are lookin bad.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 9, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7954593

i know the feeling Cajun, my creek is more like a big mudhole now, expecting rain this weekend tho an chance of thunder showers, so im hope'n we get some water back into the ground off it, my dam is all finished except some minor details, so im ready for it.
Dyson, hahaa nope its not wabbit season here .. YET unless i catch em in my gardens .. then i just try to scare em off, dont like killing something i wont eat, an summer time wabbits n squrriels are 2 of em.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 10, 2010
5:08 AM

Post #7956865

callin for rain today, so maybe we'll get lucky here, gardens sure need it
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7957084

We got a good, slow rain yesterday for most of the day and it was cool. That should really help the gardens and the berries.
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7957227

Lots of rain here in the last couple of days. Great. I am attaching a pix of my tomatoes. That large one is a Sweet 100 and I believe it is at least 8 feet tall and has about 500 tomatoes on it. I have never seen such a big plant. I selected it because I didn't think it would go much higher than the bottom of the window. Wrong.

Thumbnail by ernbran

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 10, 2010
2:34 PM

Post #7957997

Wow, nice mater plants ernbran,
someones gonna do a lot of can'n fore long. hahaa an mater sammiches dang. fine eating an i do have to admit, thats the biggest dang mater plant ive ever seen.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7960750

Nice maters!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7969614

freedom--what staples do you keep on hand? salt, flour, sugar etc.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 15, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7969898

kinda a tuff question, but all the basics here, flour, cornmeal, salt, taters, onions, peanut butter (by the gallons) hehee as well as bakin soda an bakin powder, an as much tobacco as i can grow an store. bleach is important here also other than the creek my water sourse is rain water. i treat the tank regulary with bleach. im sure i can and will add somemore to theis post.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7969978

Thanks
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 15, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7970256

ok if this works again a few more pic's of the dam progress. this is the pool behind the dam.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 15, 2010
8:19 AM

Post #7970261

this is a shot of it off my front porch.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7970409

Lordy. I didn't know your creek was deep enough for a boat. Mine is mostly water over big rocks. You got any fish in there?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 15, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7970573

yeah they are a few brook trout, some bream an very few catfish that washed over the spillway of the catfish pond. hahaa very small ones
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 15, 2010

Post #7970697

Cajun, your creek would be deeper if you dammed it...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7971282

It would have to be a hig dam because the drop from the property line to our house is pretty significant. It has a few little fish. No idea what kind they are.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7971313

f-s,
I do not wish to be intrusive-- so just ignore any question that I might ask that you do not wish to answer.
My interest in your adventure is simply one of wishing to learn from someone that is living a Thoreau lifestyle that so many of us have only "Walter Mittyed" (sp?) about while living our urban lives of quiet desperation.

Do you do any foraging?
Could you describe your typical daily diet?

Good luck on the water wheel and remember--don't whittle in the house if your sitting on a rug.

Cheers
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 15, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7971422

VORTREKER,
Yes i forage for food most of the time when i have time to do so.
one of my favorite breakfast's is pancakes (reg. flour cut with acorn flour) with home made muskidine jelly or suryp. when lunch rolls around its usualy a sandwich of somekind made with homemade bread .. summer time a couple mater sandwiches .. winter usualy pb ... now supper .. thats a different story sometimes its what ever i come across during the day. squirrel, rabbit turtle fish deer or some of my garden veggies. so supper is a toss up really hahaaa. lots of nuts an fruits an berrys for snacks. the pic is turtle n taters. an yep thats bought loaf bread.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7971829

Mmmm Looks good. What kind of turtle? I love snappers.

Do you can meat?

I love muscadines. Scuppernongs too. I have a tree full of coon grapes and have no way to get to them. We have fruits growing wild here that I enjoy. Wine berries just finished. Paw Paws will still be a while coming. Black walnuts and chestnuts too.

I wish I was better at foraging and could still get out like I used to.

How do you put your fruits and berries up to make them last into winter?

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7971936

Schpell check hiss a soft wear app tat sum micros brain n Sea attle , Wash en ton crated sew wee re tarts wood bee a ball two com u in a crate on a level wit them guys .
Grate miss stake. Wee r four ever hear
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 16, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7972655

Huh?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 16, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7972810

VORTREKER
ROFLMAO ... im dislexic i can read that .
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 16, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7972819

an yes Cajun, thats snapper my favorite kinda turtle., with soft shell being next. my fruits an berrys usualy get made into jellys jams or suryps.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 16, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7972841

Schpell check hiss a soft wear app tat sum micros brain n Sea attle , Wash en ton crated sew wee re tarts wood bee a ball two com u in a crate on a level wit them guys .
Grate miss stake. Wee r four ever hear

Simply Translated:
Spell check is a software application that some microbrain in Seattle Washington created so we retards would be able to comunicate on a level with them guys. Great mistake we are forever here.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2010

Post #7973576

Whoseevere those guys are they need to get a medal (& a life).
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 16, 2010

Post #7973612

Dyson, i totaly agree with you.
some people have way too much time on their hands. a mind and time is a bad thing to waste. LOL i dont have enough of either. hehee

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7976267

f-s,
What recipe do you use for homemade bread?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 17, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7976518

its a simple recipe for basic homemade bread.
milk salt sugar butter and flour.

1/4 cup mik, 5 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoons salt, 5 teaspoons butter, 1 package yeast, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups flour.
do all your mixing, an let it rise twice, beating it down both times .. roll it out then roll it up bout the size of ur loaf pan. then toss it in ur greesed loaf pan cover an let it set till it rises again, then bake it for about 30 mins at 400 deg.
sometimes i toss in nuts or rasins or what ever before i roll it up for the pan, most of the time its just plain bread tho.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7976848

Can that recipe be done in a bread machine?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 17, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7976960

never tried it in a bread machine Cajun, but i see no reason why it wouldnt
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 17, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7977045

Try it Cajun and let us know.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7978352

All purpose flour? My Mom gave me a bread machine but it doesn't have any book with it.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 18, 2010

Post #7978557

I would use bread flour and you might reduce the recipe first try in order not to overflow the machine - depending on its size.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 18, 2010
2:51 PM

Post #7978654

right porkpal, i'd go with bread flour the first time, hehee might make another mt. everest. LOL i just use what ever i happen to have but... i dont use a bread machine.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7979281

Is braed flour sold with the regular flour at the grocery?

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7979333

Yes-Gold Medal. Kink Arther and others--they will say something like "best for bread"
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7979340

Thanks. I will look the nesxt time i go to town.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 18, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7979479

i have the plans drawn up for a outdoor bread/pizza oven, wood fired with a grill on one side and a small smoker on the other side, just large enought to hang a full sized deer in. LOL another project.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7979536

I have found this is an acceptable way to have to only have one flour on hand (All Purpose)

1 CUP OF AP FLOUR 1 CUP AP FLOUR
3 1/2 CUP AP FLOUR 1 1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER 1 TBSP WHEAT GLUTEN
1/2 CUP CORNSTARCH 1/2 TSP SALT google this to find it
SIFT 4-5 TIMES TO MIX
AND"FLUFF"

CAKE FLOUR SELF RISING FLOUR BREAD FLOUR

I am in no way a Master Baker but this works for me.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2010

Post #7979540

freedom---sounds like you need a new project or two---LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 19, 2010
5:25 AM

Post #7980023

yeah i always got a long list of "projects". never a borein moment round here.

an self risin flour is the only flour i keep around there, sometimes i mix my acorn flour with it or my rice flour dependin what im bakin or cookin. my Grandmmaw always stocked two kinds "plain" an "self riseing" flour. she said from that you can cook or bake ne thing, if you was out of one just add to the other, found that to be true many times.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2010
6:32 AM

Post #7980156

I like to use "plain" flour to coat meat for frying and to make a roux. It browns nicer without fluffing up. I use SR for most everything else. Does bread flour come in whole wheat? It's better for my DH's diabetes.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 19, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7981059

not sure, but i know u can buy whole wheat flour.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7981071

For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and you have self-rising flour.

Generally, 'bread flour' usually means white flour which has a protein content strong enough to raise yeasted breads. For example, the King Arthur bread flour I use is 12.8% protein. All purpose flour, also white, i.e. bran and germ removed, has less protein, and all by itself won't raise a yeasted bread quite as well as bread flour. The King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour I use is 13.2% protein, which is plenty strong enough for bread. There is also 'high-gluten' flour, which KA has a 'Sir Lancelot' brand with 14.2% protein. Such a high protein content by itself might make a loaf of bread somewhat harder than bread flour.

I hope this clarifies some of the complexities of the flour issue. Good luck!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2010
1:40 PM

Post #7981169

Thanks, Darius. That should help me.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 19, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7981798

Go Darius, Thanks for explain'n that. i knew there wasnt but an ingredent or two difference between plain an self rising. abut that put it all into prespective.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7982198

Wow ! Post #7979536 sure did not format well when I copied and pasted it. Will try again later. Pretty interesting info.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7982335

How to stock one flour and make reasonable substitutes for "the others"

New format.

ALL PURPOSE FLOUR--Good for most uses.

SELF RISING FLOUR
For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

BREAD FLOUR
For each cup of all-purpose flour add 1 Tbsp wheat gluten (Available online)

CAKE FLOUR
Mix 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour with 1/4 cup of cornstarch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAKE BAKING POWDER
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar (or any edible dry acid) dried buttermilk, citric acid, Vit. C ( Ascorbic acid), honey
1 teaspoon cornstarch

freedom --did not mean to try to turn this into a baking forum--tell us about the status of your water wheel.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 20, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7982674

Hey its kewl, im learning something too. an i enjoy bakin bout as much as the next person .
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 21, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7985446

The waterwheel, is on hold waiting on presure treated lumber to build the frame from. sill gotta put the raceway in the dam an finish the spillway and gate too. right now im trying to get my second crop of tobacco planted.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7987471

Keep us posted when you have time.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2010

Post #7991519

I need some help from you home bakers. I have 3 packs of dinner roll mix I got in Angel Food Ministries packages. The ingredients list : wheat flour, sugar, shortening, sodium bicarbonate, salt, yeast and datem. They are 8 oz packages. Instructions : Add the mix to 5oz of 90 - 100 degree water. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl. Mix for 5 minutes on medium speed. Roll out dough to 1/2" thick and cut to desired size. Oil top of rolls. Cover with damp cloth and place in warm spot. Allow to double in size. Place in convection oven set @ 425 degrees for 10 minutes. My question : Can I use this in my bread maker and if so how do I go about doing it?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7991616

CajuninKy when you get the answer - I want to know also!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 23, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7991725

Gee, I don't think you can but I am keen to hear what others think.
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

July 25, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7995652

[quote="freedom_sailer"]
the pic is turtle n taters. an yep thats bought loaf bread. [/quote]

Freedom - Mind sharing your how to recipe for pan fried (or grilled) turtle meat?

Thanks a million..!!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7995681

freedom--can you tell us more about your acorn flour?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7995776

A couple of years ago I returned to a town I had lived in and looked for an old friends home - it was gone and in it's place were condos. I never found my friend. I hope the wisdom, information & knowledge contained in these web pages never becomes as difficult to locate.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7995833

I love the old ways. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate progress but I believe there is much to be said for old ways and old wisdom.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 25, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7995989

Lots of stuff that gets called "growth" or "progress" seems generally detrimental to me.
deanna8
Raeford, NC

July 26, 2010
2:07 AM

Post #7997243

Cajun My daughter has my bread maker or I would look in the inst book. But you could probably find the instuction book for yours online. Just put brand and model number and do a search. I have had to do this more than once for things.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7997800

Thanks Deanna. I'll take a look when I get a minute. I'd really like to use the machine.
momof2d
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7998755

Freedom sailor - I LOVE how your'e living! that is awesome! When I was young (I'm 53 now) I alway's wanted to live like that! Of course during my 20's I had an "able" hubby who could do what you've done. My current hubby is disabled, but I'll tell ya what ... when we move from Iowa I will look for a "sustainable" property to buy - of course my hubby does not hunt so I will need to find a job in order to buy our protien (or meat) but I CAN grow all the vege's! And we can fish!!!Your home looks great! Thanks for the information!
Jill - Des Moines, Iowa

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010

Post #7998799

Freedom must be out of town or very busy.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 26, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7999029

GoldenDomer
my favorite turtle recipe is a super hot wok with butter almost to the flaming pioint, salt n pepper em good. toss em in an flash fry em .. seals in the mosture an flavor. my other way is just a pan on the stove with olive oil or canola oil, batter em up same way u do fried chicken. an cook em that way.

VORTREKER
my acorn flour i make from white oak acrons because they contain the least amount of tanic acid of any oak speices. i gather them in the fall when they start falling from the tree, before the varmits get to em . then i dry them, then peel them... place em in a mesh bag an toss em in the creek for a day or so to wash or leach out the remaining tanic acid. then i dry them an grind them in a food processer, from there add water and give them a final renceing. then place in a cotton bag or peice of cotten cloth hold the ends togather an start twisting to squeeze the excess water out. from there u make the flour out into small cakes or balls or spread over baking sheets and dry again. then regrind it into the finished product. an store it in jars or bags placed in your freezer till u wanna use it .

momof2d
Thank you for the comments and good luck finding what you need to compleat your dream. I just turned 53 myself last month. i wouldnt trade my lifestyle for any other one i know. im Home and im Happy.

LOL dang i think im caught up with everyone now. hehee
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2010

Post #7999077

Do you ever make turtle soup or sauce picante?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 26, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7999244

now n then ill make turtle soup, kinda like clam chowder. and i love sauce picante and the hotter the better. mmmmmm spicey then i pay the price LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7999578

I don't like any heat, just lots of seasoning. Nobody up here eats turtle and look at us like we are crazy when we talk about it. I just hate cleaning them.
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

July 27, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7999701

It looks like you're as much at home in the kitchen as you are in the woods or on the water..!!

Only a true Homesteader spelled with a capital "H" can harvest and bring home all the treats that God has put out for us all to enjoy.

This short clip is one that triggers fond memories of me foraging as a child so I've selected it from a favorite book of mine.

(My way of saying thanks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXJWhOTGwzk
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 27, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8000223

GoldenDomer
Great Clip, i waked many a miles in the woods with my Grandpaw as he explained what this an that was, from wild foods to medicinal plants an herbs. most of it excapes me now, but alot of it actualy stuck an remains forever imprinted in my little pea brain. LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 29, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #8004442

almsot done with my transplanting of the second crop of tobacco ... wooooo hooooooo
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

July 30, 2010
6:05 AM

Post #8006198

Good to see that this is still a free world.

BTW, my friends call me Dave.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

July 30, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #8006965

yeah for the most part, i figure they'll find a way to tax it before long.

kewl Dave, my friends call me Dave too .. but my name is David
and the other names they call me i dont care to mention here,
LOL justa kiddin. or not ?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 6, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #8023181

woo hooooooo finaly got a good rain yesterday evening about 1 in. in my rain guage. wont have to tote water for awhile now to water my gardens.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #8023964

We had a doozy of a storm yesterday afternoon. Knocked power out until 3:15 this afternoon. We were blessed with an overcast day today so it was cool enough. A huge oak tree fell in the storm. It fell in the road and hit a passing truck. It killed the driver. The tree was so large nobody knew the truck was under it until they started to clear the tree away. Very sad.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 7, 2010
2:17 PM

Post #8025323

Very Sad indeed. my prayers go out to the family .
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 12, 2010

Post #8036201

this tote'n water to all my gardens is gettin old fast. bet next year ill have an irragation system in place.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #8036243

Got old way too long ago - gotta find a place in the sun with running liquid gold.
snoopxpert
Union Grove, AL

August 17, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8044845

oh wow! I am more than a little impressed! I live in Ala too, and would love to come and visit you and LEARN! Any chance of that?

We are trying to get off grid too.
Bricklayer
Auburndale, FL

August 18, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #8047497

Hey Sailor,
Good for you, I am inspired by you and it's given me a little boost of motivation.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 18, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #8048338

Dyson, i know what you mean.

snoopxpert,
your more than welcome to visit, as soon as i get some time to do some cleaning ... LOL

Bricklayer,
kewl, now if i could just get motivated an get some projects finished.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #8053136

Sailor,
What solar hot water system did you decide upon?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 21, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #8053628

VORTREKER
its a solar batch heater, i put togather the concept of solar oven with a 40 gallon hot water heater tank mounted inside it. covered in glass surrounded with 6 in. of insulation with mirrors to focuse the sun on it. it'll scald the skin off u if u forget to turn on the cold water with it in the shower.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8053823

Thanks Sailer,
I am no where near"getting "off the grid" but I am building a passive thermo-siphon system that I learned in Zimbabwe, Africa.
I paid attention to them because they were truly "off the grid", but so are you--so I will rethink this.
I kinda liked the Batch Heater concept best. and you do have the mental capacity to "make it simple"
"ONLY TRULY INTELLIGENT PEOPLE CAN EXPLAIN COMPLICATED PROCESSES IN SIMPLE TERMS.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8054063

Could you post a pic of your water heater please.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #8054075

Batch passive solar water heaters (also called breadbox passive solar water heaters) are nifty, and pretty easy to do. Caj, there's basic photos and sketches here: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/homemade-solar-water-heaters-460709

Sounds like Sailor has enhanced the concept nicely by adding the solar cooker reflective panels!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 21, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #8054186

here's a front shot before the mirrors

This message was edited Aug 21, 2010 5:47 PM

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 21, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8054190

here's a picture of the top of the box as i was building it

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #8054633

Interesting stuff! How is it pumped into the house? I can understand gravity fed but it doesn't look like that's the case in the pics.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #8054757

CajuninKy,

I have tried for over 2 hrs to make and send a diagram without success--just remember that hot water will rise in a system and water (hot or cold) will will sink due to the law of gravity.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #8055006

The water pushes itself up by heat?
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 22, 2010

Post #8055111

hard to tell in my pic's but mine is plumb'd in the same as any water heater (electric or gas) always under pressure. only thing i dint add which i will later on is a one way valve on the cold water side because the heating of the water will be more than my pump pressure it'll back feed hot water into my cold water line. but thats a simple 5.00 check valve fix.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #8060335

Thought you guys might like to see what I did today. Killed this bad boy with one shot from my trusty pellet rifle. I'm getting to be a regular Annie Oakley. LOL

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 24, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #8060553

Is he a bad boy? Unless he is missing his head, he looks pretty harmless.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 25, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #8060893

good shot Cajun, another one bites the dust, now you can hang it on a fence or a tree limb and make it rain... or thats what i do with em .
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #8061866

Wow, looks about 4 feet long. What kind of snake, Cajun?

I killed a rattler a couple of years ago, wanted to save it and skin it to make a snakeskin belt, but after a day in the sun it was too late! Ewwww! Freedom, I didn't know you could use them to make rain. Sounds good, we usually need rain. Right now we are getting clouds every afternoon but the rain goes somewhere else. Time to do my rain dance, I guess.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8061878

Please do not point that rain dance this direction - to wet to till for fall crops. Three weeks.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 25, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8062042

LOL send it this way Dyson, or ill have to go snake hunting again
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 27, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #8066086

We live in the swamps (Everglades) of SW Florida and have lost our jobs half a year ago- we sure would like to know more about self sufficiency!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8066244

cyber--zone 10a will be able to grow about any edible plant one would care to grow. Just learn to beat the bugs and other critters to it. :)
I like frogs and gators fried with salt and pepper--
Find a Seminole elder and ask him/her--they will know much more than I.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #8066323

It was a copperhead. Very harmful. We burned him on the burn pile we had going. I had flattened his head with a golf club after I shot him and he was still trying to strike. Nasty thing. I lost a nice hen a few days ago to a snake bite. One of my expensive game hens. I'm having a rough time with my chickens. Dog attack, snake bite and mystery disease.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 28, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #8066920

cyberageous
ask any question you want, im sure someone will be able to answer it. lots have been at this longer than myself. and belive me if i dont know.. i'll dang sho tell ya i dont ... LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 31, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #8072776

here''s a couple pic's of the windmill ive been working on, jut got the blades on it this morning. got it bolted to my front porch steps so dont be lookin at my messy porch . hehee

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 31, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #8072779

and this one is a shide shot of it, showing the mounting brackets and the pully to which ill hook a generator to. still like balancing the blades an finishin the mount, adding the tail etc.

ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #8072951

I am going to start a new thread asking people to identify items on Freedon Sailor's porch. The one with the most right answers gets to go spend a week with him.

Don't get bent out of shape I am just kidding. I think you are quite a worker. Makes me very tired to read all the things you are doing.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

August 31, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #8072988

LOL that's ok, just make sure its for single women only then... an all will be kewl cause i'd enjoy some help an company round here.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010 5:10 PM

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 9:52 AM
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 6, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #8083070

Hope Everyone has a safe and Happy Labor day.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #8086458

Ours was great. Stayed at a lodge in the local state park. there was a 4 day blue grass gospel singing. 60th year for it. My parents drove up for it. They are still here visiting. Sure is nice.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 8, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #8086915

way kewl Cajun , good food, good music an family ... dont get much better
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 14, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #8098277

dang i'll be glad when i finish mixin n pouring all this cement to finish my steps along side the cabin, maybe two more days of it an it'll be finished, then i can move on to other projects at hand.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 14, 2010

Post #8098423

Amazing how a lot of cement turns into a little when you start pouring it into place.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 14, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8098640

You got that right Porkpal, 11 steps up beside my cabin, an one 2x3 ft. landing onto the porch.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 15, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #8101279

here's a shot looking down the steps

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 15, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8101283

and one looking up the steps

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 15, 2010

Post #8101457

Wow! No wonder you've been pouring cement for ages. That's a lot of steps. I like the end result!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 15, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #8101520

Good job, Bob!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 16, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #8101861

ty ty .. i dint go for the exacting mesurments, nor all the same size for that matter ... i went with the lay of the land and tried not to mess the the natural apearence too much. i'd walked up an down that hill so many times the size an location of each step was already kinda laid out so i just went with the flow. and they fit my stride.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8101867

Beautiful!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #8102496

Common sense steps are always easier to climb.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 16, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8103401

shot of my morning glorys, i love this color

ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #8104990

GREAT MORNING GLORIES. LOOK LIKE KENTUCKY WILDCAT BLUE.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 17, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #8105142

actualy i have no idea, they grew wild here i dint plant em ... but they are stunning an sooo full of color
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

September 18, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #8105435

This too was wild...

Thumbnail by GoldenDomer

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #8105569

Beautiful photo! GD
GoldenDomer
Northern, IN

September 18, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #8105587

BTW, that pic was first posted years ago under my former user name.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 18, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #8105614

GoldenDomer...very pretty morning glorys, i have so many plants an flowers round here im still trying to identify them all. i have some little tiny red morning glorys also, and some carolina lillys. all kinds of daisies an wild flowers, ill be gathering herbs an roots soon too. that's always lots of fun.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8105844

You sure lead an interesting, and I would think satisfying, life.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 18, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #8105908

yeah to say the least, i try to live as simple an in the old ways as i possably can, gotta have my internet for all the research i do, on plants .. alternate power sourses other than the phone an internet im cut off from the rest of the world pretty much, i'd rather stay here than head to town .. ewwwwww got to where i dont even like goin. LOL

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8106357

freedom-if you like okra you need to try this one--Beck's Big Buck-a friend of mine in S. Alabama sent this to me this spring. One pod will make a side dish for one person. It is open pollinated. It taste great and was still producing when I had to "do it in" to make room for fall garden last week.-(mid-Sept)-It holds on the stalk for at least a week so you do not have to pick it every day. I have been growing veggies (and weeds) for 40 years and this is absolutely the most amazing veg. (actually a fruit) that I have ever grown or seen. I will send you some seeds if interested.

Thumbnail by VORTREKER

porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 18, 2010

Post #8106431

It does not get woody?

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8106554

porkpal--it does but it can stand on the stalk and be edible for 1-2 weeks. Unlike all other okras I have grown that get woody after 2-3 days on the stalk.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #8106605

Wow! that is one honkin' big okra. Where can it be purchased? Do you cook it like any other okra?

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #8106616

Cajun--it is okra and taste like okra--(I only like it fried) wish I would have saved enough seeds to send to everyone but I fried most of it. Maybe next year.
Google it and see if anyone sells it--I am sure they do.

LOL on the "honkin' big okra"
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 18, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #8106775

dang skippy i'd love to have some seeds off that joker, i eat okra like its goin outta style... usualy the long horn varity. LOL big honkin okra pod..
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #8107014

http://www.localharvest.org/okra-seeds-becks-big-buck-snapping-okra-C15469

http://www.underwoodgardens.com/Becks-Big-Buck-Horn-Okra-Abelmoschus-esculentus/productinfo/V1077/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108953/

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=SESE&screen=PROD&product_code=69120

There are more search results - out of time for now

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #8107249

freedom--Dmail me and I'll send some seeds for those "big honkers"-----LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 19, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #8107286

VORTREKER
Just did Man... an Thanks ill have a few veggie n flower seeds to swap and trade also. maybe u can find something in my list u'd be interested in too. as soon as i have time to make a list of seeds. this goes for anyone else too.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 19, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #8108076

Freedom I don't suppose you'd consider starting a new thread. This one is so long it takes forever to load and then it doesn't fit on the screen.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8108448

Yup--sure is a honkin big thread-----LOL
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #8110800

Thanks so much for the links. I'll be checking into those. Looks like you'd only need a few plants.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 21, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #8111789

LOL @ honk'n big thread, may have to see what i can do about that like maybe a part I and part II. just dont want this one to fall off, lts got lots of good info in it for new comers etc.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2010 9:14 AM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 21, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #8112002

On your next thread, just link it to this one, with the comment "we came from here".

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #8112204

I took the liberty to do the thread. Hope you do not mind

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1130022/
porkpal
Richmond, TX

September 24, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #8118893

So we're back here now? Hello everybody!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8119275

I requested that this be done and here was the response-----Great folks at Dave's

Good afternoon,

Someone flagged the thread in Homesteading, stating that you all might want to start fresh. Since you concurred within the thread that this might be the best route, I went ahead and deleted it.

Your original conversation leader is now free to start the part 2.

Just let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Kind regards,
Melody

Thanks Melody
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #8122662

Where did you go??? I can't find the new thread.

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #8122761

lizh-I asked DG to delete it because it is rightfully freedom_sailors thread to continue --not mine--
Wonder where he has been? Hope he is OK

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2010

Post #8124962

Anyone heard from Dave (freedom-sailor)?
ernbran
louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #8125026

I wrote a D mail and threatened him with everyone arriving at his house for dinner but he didn't respond. I think everyone is missing him and his posts. Freedom if you are reading this your friends are missing you.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 28, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #8126035

Hey all, got laptop problems, my screen went out on mine, so i got it hooked up to a full sized monitor which draws over 300 watts of power .. i cant run it for long at a time but im still here, also got the okra seeds VORTREKER, thanks... ill try to get on more often .. workin on another laptop now.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

September 28, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #8126135

ok link an thread no. 2 posted ...

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8126745

Good to hear you are ok

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #8126752

freedom's new thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131657/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America