Contemplating a new garden this year

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have been seriously thinking about finishing the thought I had last year about making a new flower garden in the side yard.

This garden area, has never grown much grass, so I pretty much feel I don't need anything on the ground first off. and my woods are LOADED with rocks, as soon as it dries up I plan on getting the tractor out there and hauling rocks.

My question is.

This area, is neither full sun or full shade. But too much sun for full shade plants like hostas, and not enough sun for full sun plants.

I think it pretty much gets afternoon sun but dappled. I do have some iris's planted over in that area and they do grow ok. But the daylilies that are in that area, do not grow well at all.

What kind of plants do you suggest I go with for this area.

I may have to work out a few trades this year to fill this bed.

But so far, that will be my only expense on this new garden, (trades) as I have all kinds of mulch out there and a huge load of chicken litter, although my husband would shoot me if I used it in a flower garden other than a veggie garden.

I hope to get this all up and started when he leaves for the pipeline. Will give me something to keep busy.

There are a few trees I will be working around with the flower garden. pine trees I think, maybe an oak tree too.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a perfect spot for hydrangeas ! And azaleas would love to be around those pine trees.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

KathyAnn, can you limb up some of the trees to allow a little more sun in there? Sun lovers would do well there if they can get around 5-6 hours of sunlight a day. Some things you could try would be monarda, salvia, lambs ears, sedums, tradescantia, some pots of hen and chicks, pots of mints and herbs, elephant ears, spirea, astilbe, peonies. Many plants will tolerate part sun/shade. The trees may suck up too much of the nutrients though, so they may be in competition. You might have to fertilize a little more.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I suppose I could get Danny to climb the trees LOL their pretty tall.

but I really think we do get about that much sun over there during the day,

but I have grown monarda closer to the house on that side and it always got mildew on it.

sedums don't seem to do well over there either.

This is the side of the house that I alway s had those tables full of plants .

the part where I want to put the garden is more in the shade though. there is also a big mulberry tree in the center that shades alot of the area too.

I have never been able to grow azalias very well, maybe I could try a few of them there . I do have some hydrangeas in pots still from last fall, I will definitely plant over there. but 3 of the hydrangeas are prone to powder mildew, and the lady at lowes said they needed full sun to keep the mildew off them, I bought them on clearence cause they were full of mildew. I may have to put those in full sun .

I do have alot of peonies that I need to move, I could stick in that garden also.

There's also a very long bed across the front yard by the road, that's very narrow, and it's trashy, I need to clean it up and do something that looks uniform over there. I may pull up alot of those plants there and put them in to the new bed. that area also is in full sun, and not sure if those siberians and tb 's would do well in this area I want to move them to.

so much to do, I guess I won't have any trouble staying busy this spring.

I can see me climbing up in those pinetrees LOL I probably wouldn't be able to get out of there

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Speaking of hydrangeas bonnie, I'd love to see if you can root me some of that big oakleaf in your back yard.

I also want to find that oakleaf alice hydrangea.

Ripley, MS

Kathy Ann, are you doing away with your rooting tables? Or will this bed be farther behind them?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What tables, LOL I put them in the greenhouse in the fall to hold plants :0( WE all know what happened to the GH

I do have 2 metal tables that are still out side, empty, and one in the garage that's holding my plants till spring, but 3 others I stuck back in the greenhouse.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

The bed is also going to be back behind them aways, I'd still have room for them to go over there, but won't be having the metal tables there any more.

Ripley, MS

Oh man I did not think about that, those were nice and heavy tables too
Well, you have more room for new beds I guess.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I certainly will root you some of those oak leaves. Is Alice the pink one ? I think gardens oyvey have that one. I may be thinking about Amthyst or something like that.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

What about some shrubby perennials like baptisia? Or the newer Echinacea hybrids that tend to wimp out in full sun? Or if it's too shady for that, some clematis, along with the oakleaf hydrangeas...hellebores, maybe? (Ny plain-jane Hellebores get quite a bit of sun currently, but they were quite happy in dappled afternoon sun before we took out two of our biggest front yard trees.)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is Alice

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HYALP.html

not sure if it turns pink later on or not. and I didn't navigate on that web site more than just that one page LOL

I think echinacea or baptisa would do well in that area. definitely going to be dividing some of my peonies, since i've never done that before. when should I do that anyways? I may not have the bed ready though by the time the peonies need to be divided.

What's Amthyst ?

I know i'll have lots of gailardia babies, wonder if they'll do good over there? they seem to thrive in full sun where I have them now though.

so many possibilities, I move plants around all the time, I may be moving them in and out of this bed before they find a permanent home.

I even have about 6 gingers that Terrie gave me last fall, I over wintered in the garage, I bet they would do well there.

Olive Branch, MS

Kathy I will look at our oakleafs also. I know I bought something in Nashville last Fall, but not sure what it is. I actually forgot about till now.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kenny, you did give me an oak leaf at Kim's last fall too, I'm going to plant that in this new garden.

I guess i'm not doing so hot today, i've worn my shirt inside out all day long. Danny came home and said rough day? I said why, he said your shirt's wrong side out. .

Even had an alteration customer while my shirt was wrong side out, ha!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What about bleeding hearts? do they need deep shade?

I've gone to town with my t-shirt inside out Tiny seams, ribbed material - who knew?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann azaleas should do good in the area. Especially close to the trees. Azaleas need a lot of water and like to be mulched with pine needles. Before I got my irrigation system, I had a black soaker hose running under my azaleas. I covered it up with pine needles and left one end exposed so I could hook the hose up to it. I would let it soak for a couple of hours when I turned the water on. So if you can't get water to them, they are not going to grow. Sounds like quite a project. Know it will be pretty!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I love the bleeding hearts...... wondered how much shade they needed because I would love to try some of them as well.

I know whatever you do will look gorgeous !

Genna

Olive Branch, MS

A little more sun then shade on the bleeding hearts. They seem to bloom better that way. Also once they bloom they are pretty much done.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

bleeding hearts should do well there then,

Thank you Genna. I can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to building this new bed this spring.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh, I thought they continued to bloom all summer...... are they just a one time bloom thing??? :( so disappointed to learn that! When do they bloom....ok, so I will go look on PF ....sorry.....

Genna

Olive Branch, MS

They bloom early Summer then fizzle out. Depending on where they are some of the foliage stays around for awhile.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

They must need fertilizer, cause mine that I have elsewhere are little . and my mother's is huge.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Or at least it was 5 years ago when I was last at her place before sh epassed away

Booneville, MS

KA, those gingers should do well in your new bed. I know you had them in pots but mine have been through a winter here and did well in partial shade. EEs and some of the more hardy ferns should do well in your new bed. And spireas. I have several hardy shrubs that you would normally put in full sun in shaded beds and it keeps them from getting too big for the space but they still bloom well; spireas, forsythia, altheas, etc.

Terrye

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Terrye I have a lot of forsythia in the shade also. They bloom every year and like you said they just don't grow as fast. I think they get plenty of sun while the leaves are off the trees and that lets them bloom and then they are shaded during the summer when they are not blooming.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I see now, this is going to have to be a big garden LOL I'll be hauling rocks for weeks ha.

Hauling all those rocks around means fewer miles to walk, eh?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL, Probably not. but I could be too sore to do both ha!

Booneville, AR

kathy ann does the oak leaf hydrangea drop its leafs in fall?

Booneville, AR

bad question, sid told me that when he gave it to me,i can, retain things any more, sid gave me that plant he and his wife only grow native plants,they send alot of plants to the butterfly thing on mt. magazine every year. i think i was told he is sending things for the garden club sale this year. good people

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Not a bad question, but I don't know the answer, I hope to get some oakleaf's this year but don't have any yet. maybe someone can answer that, bonnie has several I think. she'll chime in here soon and answer or kenny, he has some too

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have some and the leaves do drop in the fall.

Booneville, AR

thank you cperdue i am going to put that in a safe place, i keep a note book.try and write things down so i don,t forget. nettie

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a foundation bed in simular conditions so I planted 2 types of viburnum,azaleas and spirea Gold Mound. Where it starts getting into more sun,I planted a weeping butterfly bush.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I bet that's a pretty area now. Azaleas would be something i'd have to purchase. I sure would love to have them around the edge of this garden though, it's going to be a big one. I just hope I can scrape enough top soil to fill it.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,I didn't take into account that none are evergreen so right now they're all "nekkid" except the butterfly bush. I'm going to thin out and trans plant some of my jonquils in there and re-plant the plumbago my hub's killed fixing the plumbing,septic tank and field lines.

Booneville, AR

bigred i know we are doing kathy ann new flower bed but i have seed for new bees and ive nener had candelabra bush can you tell me anything about it. please! don,t even know the first thing about starting the seed. thank you nettie

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

candleabra bush?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

KathyAnn, how bout some heuchera and tiarellas in there? Didn't you get some from a co-op? And lambs ears. Mine is evergreen. If you put any back there, remember it doesn't like a lot of water. You might mix some sand in the soil where it will be planted.

Azaleas are cheap--like $2.50 a gallon. Don't forget you can add potted plants, like mints and herbs and some of your tropicals if you still have any. And for evergreen stuff, go with the arum itallicum and strawberry geranium and sedums. You could create a "tower" of clay pots with various sedums in various foliage colors dripping out of them. And don't forget a statue or two or a bird bath, bench or something else for a little winter attraction. Maybe a bird feeder so you could watch the birds hang out there.

And if you can't find some bigger evergreen stuff, go with with something with unusual bark or branches, like a red twig dogwood perhaps. Seems like there is a hydrangea with red stems--saw it on Victory Garden yesterday but can't remember the name of the hydrangea. But the woman said it adds year-round interest, even in winter.

You could make a Mr. and Mrs. Potty out of clay pots to sit in the garden. Or create a tin man from old tin cans. Or make it a little gnome garden and put a gnome door on the bottom of a tree with little gnomes sitting throughout the garden.

Here's a cute Mr. Potty.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.