-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7522404

I have been seriously thinking about finishing the thought I had last year about making a new flower garden in the side yard.

This garden area, has never grown much grass, so I pretty much feel I don't need anything on the ground first off. and my woods are LOADED with rocks, as soon as it dries up I plan on getting the tractor out there and hauling rocks.

My question is.

This area, is neither full sun or full shade. But too much sun for full shade plants like hostas, and not enough sun for full sun plants.

I think it pretty much gets afternoon sun but dappled. I do have some iris's planted over in that area and they do grow ok. But the daylilies that are in that area, do not grow well at all.

What kind of plants do you suggest I go with for this area.

I may have to work out a few trades this year to fill this bed.

But so far, that will be my only expense on this new garden, (trades) as I have all kinds of mulch out there and a huge load of chicken litter, although my husband would shoot me if I used it in a flower garden other than a veggie garden.

I hope to get this all up and started when he leaves for the pipeline. Will give me something to keep busy.

There are a few trees I will be working around with the flower garden. pine trees I think, maybe an oak tree too.

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #7522626

Sounds like a perfect spot for hydrangeas ! And azaleas would love to be around those pine trees.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7522631

KathyAnn, can you limb up some of the trees to allow a little more sun in there? Sun lovers would do well there if they can get around 5-6 hours of sunlight a day. Some things you could try would be monarda, salvia, lambs ears, sedums, tradescantia, some pots of hen and chicks, pots of mints and herbs, elephant ears, spirea, astilbe, peonies. Many plants will tolerate part sun/shade. The trees may suck up too much of the nutrients though, so they may be in competition. You might have to fertilize a little more.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7522671

I suppose I could get Danny to climb the trees LOL their pretty tall.

but I really think we do get about that much sun over there during the day,

but I have grown monarda closer to the house on that side and it always got mildew on it.

sedums don't seem to do well over there either.

This is the side of the house that I alway s had those tables full of plants .

the part where I want to put the garden is more in the shade though. there is also a big mulberry tree in the center that shades alot of the area too.

I have never been able to grow azalias very well, maybe I could try a few of them there . I do have some hydrangeas in pots still from last fall, I will definitely plant over there. but 3 of the hydrangeas are prone to powder mildew, and the lady at lowes said they needed full sun to keep the mildew off them, I bought them on clearence cause they were full of mildew. I may have to put those in full sun .

I do have alot of peonies that I need to move, I could stick in that garden also.

There's also a very long bed across the front yard by the road, that's very narrow, and it's trashy, I need to clean it up and do something that looks uniform over there. I may pull up alot of those plants there and put them in to the new bed. that area also is in full sun, and not sure if those siberians and tb 's would do well in this area I want to move them to.

so much to do, I guess I won't have any trouble staying busy this spring.

I can see me climbing up in those pinetrees LOL I probably wouldn't be able to get out of there
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7522709

Speaking of hydrangeas bonnie, I'd love to see if you can root me some of that big oakleaf in your back yard.

I also want to find that oakleaf alice hydrangea.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 2, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7522947

Kathy Ann, are you doing away with your rooting tables? Or will this bed be farther behind them?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7523213

What tables, LOL I put them in the greenhouse in the fall to hold plants :0( WE all know what happened to the GH

I do have 2 metal tables that are still out side, empty, and one in the garage that's holding my plants till spring, but 3 others I stuck back in the greenhouse.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7523216

The bed is also going to be back behind them aways, I'd still have room for them to go over there, but won't be having the metal tables there any more.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 2, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7523239

Oh man I did not think about that, those were nice and heavy tables too
Well, you have more room for new beds I guess.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7523242

I certainly will root you some of those oak leaves. Is Alice the pink one ? I think gardens oyvey have that one. I may be thinking about Amthyst or something like that.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7523258

What about some shrubby perennials like baptisia? Or the newer Echinacea hybrids that tend to wimp out in full sun? Or if it's too shady for that, some clematis, along with the oakleaf hydrangeas...hellebores, maybe? (Ny plain-jane Hellebores get quite a bit of sun currently, but they were quite happy in dappled afternoon sun before we took out two of our biggest front yard trees.)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7523279

Here is Alice

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HYALP.html

not sure if it turns pink later on or not. and I didn't navigate on that web site more than just that one page LOL

I think echinacea or baptisa would do well in that area. definitely going to be dividing some of my peonies, since i've never done that before. when should I do that anyways? I may not have the bed ready though by the time the peonies need to be divided.

What's Amthyst ?

I know i'll have lots of gailardia babies, wonder if they'll do good over there? they seem to thrive in full sun where I have them now though.

so many possibilities, I move plants around all the time, I may be moving them in and out of this bed before they find a permanent home.

I even have about 6 gingers that Terrie gave me last fall, I over wintered in the garage, I bet they would do well there.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 2, 2010
11:41 PM

Post #7523679

Kathy I will look at our oakleafs also. I know I bought something in Nashville last Fall, but not sure what it is. I actually forgot about till now.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7523705

Thanks Kenny, you did give me an oak leaf at Kim's last fall too, I'm going to plant that in this new garden.

I guess i'm not doing so hot today, i've worn my shirt inside out all day long. Danny came home and said rough day? I said why, he said your shirt's wrong side out. .

Even had an alteration customer while my shirt was wrong side out, ha!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #7523709

What about bleeding hearts? do they need deep shade?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2010
12:02 AM

Post #7523747

I've gone to town with my t-shirt inside out Tiny seams, ribbed material - who knew?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2010
12:23 AM

Post #7523812

Kathy Ann azaleas should do good in the area. Especially close to the trees. Azaleas need a lot of water and like to be mulched with pine needles. Before I got my irrigation system, I had a black soaker hose running under my azaleas. I covered it up with pine needles and left one end exposed so I could hook the hose up to it. I would let it soak for a couple of hours when I turned the water on. So if you can't get water to them, they are not going to grow. Sounds like quite a project. Know it will be pretty!
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 4, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7528762

I love the bleeding hearts... wondered how much shade they needed because I would love to try some of them as well.

I know whatever you do will look gorgeous !

Genna
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 4, 2010
3:51 PM

Post #7528887

A little more sun then shade on the bleeding hearts. They seem to bloom better that way. Also once they bloom they are pretty much done.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7528895

bleeding hearts should do well there then,

Thank you Genna. I can't tell you how much i'm looking forward to building this new bed this spring.
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 4, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7529113

Oh, I thought they continued to bloom all summer... are they just a one time bloom thing??? :( so disappointed to learn that! When do they bloom...ok, so I will go look on PF ...sorry...

Genna

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 4, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7529167

They bloom early Summer then fizzle out. Depending on where they are some of the foliage stays around for awhile.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7529297

They must need fertilizer, cause mine that I have elsewhere are little . and my mother's is huge.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7529299

Or at least it was 5 years ago when I was last at her place before sh epassed away
tryliv
Booneville, MS

February 4, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7529502

KA, those gingers should do well in your new bed. I know you had them in pots but mine have been through a winter here and did well in partial shade. EEs and some of the more hardy ferns should do well in your new bed. And spireas. I have several hardy shrubs that you would normally put in full sun in shaded beds and it keeps them from getting too big for the space but they still bloom well; spireas, forsythia, altheas, etc.

Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7529548

Terrye I have a lot of forsythia in the shade also. They bloom every year and like you said they just don't grow as fast. I think they get plenty of sun while the leaves are off the trees and that lets them bloom and then they are shaded during the summer when they are not blooming.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7529692

I see now, this is going to have to be a big garden LOL I'll be hauling rocks for weeks ha.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7529906

Hauling all those rocks around means fewer miles to walk, eh?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #7530073

LOL, Probably not. but I could be too sore to do both ha!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 5, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7532814

kathy ann does the oak leaf hydrangea drop its leafs in fall?
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 5, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7532873

bad question, sid told me that when he gave it to me,i can, retain things any more, sid gave me that plant he and his wife only grow native plants,they send alot of plants to the butterfly thing on mt. magazine every year. i think i was told he is sending things for the garden club sale this year. good people
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7533518

Not a bad question, but I don't know the answer, I hope to get some oakleaf's this year but don't have any yet. maybe someone can answer that, bonnie has several I think. she'll chime in here soon and answer or kenny, he has some too

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2010
12:47 AM

Post #7533857

I have some and the leaves do drop in the fall.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 6, 2010
3:30 AM

Post #7534358

thank you cperdue i am going to put that in a safe place, i keep a note book.try and write things down so i don,t forget. nettie
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7534942

I have a foundation bed in simular conditions so I planted 2 types of viburnum,azaleas and spirea Gold Mound. Where it starts getting into more sun,I planted a weeping butterfly bush.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7535121

I bet that's a pretty area now. Azaleas would be something i'd have to purchase. I sure would love to have them around the edge of this garden though, it's going to be a big one. I just hope I can scrape enough top soil to fill it.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7535135

well,I didn't take into account that none are evergreen so right now they're all "nekkid" except the butterfly bush. I'm going to thin out and trans plant some of my jonquils in there and re-plant the plumbago my hub's killed fixing the plumbing,septic tank and field lines.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 9, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7543830

bigred i know we are doing kathy ann new flower bed but i have seed for new bees and ive nener had candelabra bush can you tell me anything about it. please! don,t even know the first thing about starting the seed. thank you nettie
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7544197

candleabra bush?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7544731

KathyAnn, how bout some heuchera and tiarellas in there? Didn't you get some from a co-op? And lambs ears. Mine is evergreen. If you put any back there, remember it doesn't like a lot of water. You might mix some sand in the soil where it will be planted.

Azaleas are cheap--like $2.50 a gallon. Don't forget you can add potted plants, like mints and herbs and some of your tropicals if you still have any. And for evergreen stuff, go with the arum itallicum and strawberry geranium and sedums. You could create a "tower" of clay pots with various sedums in various foliage colors dripping out of them. And don't forget a statue or two or a bird bath, bench or something else for a little winter attraction. Maybe a bird feeder so you could watch the birds hang out there.

And if you can't find some bigger evergreen stuff, go with with something with unusual bark or branches, like a red twig dogwood perhaps. Seems like there is a hydrangea with red stems--saw it on Victory Garden yesterday but can't remember the name of the hydrangea. But the woman said it adds year-round interest, even in winter.

You could make a Mr. and Mrs. Potty out of clay pots to sit in the garden. Or create a tin man from old tin cans. Or make it a little gnome garden and put a gnome door on the bottom of a tree with little gnomes sitting throughout the garden.

Here's a cute Mr. Potty.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 9, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7544845

hi big red i found that in plant files, think i will plant it. frost will kill it back to the ground but it will come back up. ive got a mexican fire bush that does the same thing . they say butterfly cats like the leaves on the senna thats not a bad thing. anyway just wonted to tell you i found what i was looking for. nettie
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7544849

ButterflyChaser where do you find azaleas at that price? I've never seen them so cheap and would love to buy a few.

Thanks!
MollyD
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7544885

Lowes carries them every year for about that price. And walmart too. In my opinion, they're just as nice as the higher priced ones at fancier nurseries. The encore azaleas may be a little costlier, not sure.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7544891

Must be that they price them lower in the south. In the north the cheapest those stores carried them for was $4.99 and often higher. I'll watch for them!

Thanks!
MollyD
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 9, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7545029

moring kathy ann i bought 1 of the cold hardy gardenias they smell so good, i got it on clearance at lows it has done real good and smells wonderful, don,t know if i can do cuttings or not,but im gona try. if they root ill save you some. promise nettie
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7545274

yes, our walmart has them for 2.50 also. I forgot about that.

I got the plans to make that pot man, I just love it. such good ideas, thanks.

I do have a bunch of huecheras ,

there is a red stemmed hydrangea called lady in red, I got it planted in the back side yard. I'm looking forward to this project.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7547222

I have lots of the $2.50 azaleas in my yard but they ahve such a short bloom period that I added 3 Encores several years ago and while they are much higher than the others,you get more blooms for the bucks. Kept well watered like this past year with all the rain,they bloom off and on all year. There's some blooms on them right now. I need more.

Nettie,
could your candleabra plant be one of the cassia/sennas?
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
2:13 PM

Post #7547433

I will certainly keep an eye out for those azaleas! I've seen a yellow azalea. Has anyone seen that one being sold down here cheap? I've only seen it in catalogs for around $20.

MollyD

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7547614

The yellow one sounds like a rhododendron. They are more expensive than an azalea.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7547644

bought a yellow one years ago from Wayside. I still have it but they're supper slow growers and stingy with the blooms. I think it's Gerard's Yellow Pom-Pom.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7547783

I believe it was an azalea not a rhodie. I think it was in Wayside that I saw it. I was there about 20 years ago but at that time I don't think they were selling it.

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7547796

Bluestone has some neat azailias also, you can wait till they go on sale. I think their sale prices for bushes are 25% off, but right now they have a few azailia's 50% off, and those are pretty good prices. I love that place.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7547994

Thanks Kathy Ann! I'll go take a look. I had forgotten all about them. I should order their catalog too while I'm there.

MollyD
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7548042

Kathy Ann just went to Bluestone and they have the azalea I want at http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/AZGLP.html Just $10.00!!!

Thanks!

MollyD

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7548071

Well I don't know where I would put it, but I may have to order that one!! I have lots of azaleas in lots of different colors but haven't seen a yellow before! That is pretty!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7548288

Did you notice the other two they were offering on that page? Slightly different shades of yellow or orange to my eye and one was about $8. :-) Anyone spot where they post they're smallest order info? I couldn't find it so I emailed them but it'll be a while before I hear back on that.

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7548488

have ya'll seen the new variegated Azalea ? I think it's called bollywood. or something like that. BEAUTIFUL!!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7548498

Wish I had deeper pockets with this new place and all. I can see a beautiful garden in my head.

MollyD
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 10, 2010
11:12 PM

Post #7548975

bigred kenny told me straight about the candle bush now if i follow what he told me i should be ok. thanks for asking donnette
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7548986

Has anyone ordered from Bluestone? I emailed their page asking about minimum order size. Got a confusing email about wholesale!

MollyD
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 10, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7549039

There are a few places around here that have the Native Azalea's
and like you said they run around $20 -25ea.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2010
11:49 PM

Post #7549081

I didn't read about the yellow azalea. If it is a native azalea, keep in mind that it is deciduous and will have a different bloom time from other azaleas. But they really have a pretty bloom. I use mine for privacy screening so would only want to plant one or two for interest.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7549292

These aren't native ones. They're a series developed for 'colder' zones. Series is called Northern Lights Azaleas. Within that they have different colors they offer.

MollyD

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
1:21 AM

Post #7549317

Need to look at those again!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7549327

I think the white one with the yellow accent was awfully pretty and under $9.

MollyD
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7550348

I've seen the variegated azalea...it's on my wishlist

here's Girard's Yellow Pom-Pom
http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety/girardyellowpompom
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 17, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7567342

Oh my - ya'll are such enablers! I didn't even KNOW there was such thing as a yellow azeleas... now, ya'll had to go and open that can!!

MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7567365

ahem...have you noticed the bitone ones with white and yellow on the same bloom LOL

MollyD
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
2:25 AM

Post #7568185

This is a pix of my yellow. The only issue I have with these is, they aren't very pretty bushes. You have to take the bad with the good, I guess.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7568188

This is my orange (blurry) - but the only pix I have of the color. - It isn't a pretty bush either.

Thumbnail by n2birds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7568257

The blooms are pretty! Are they evergreen?
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
3:12 AM

Post #7568269

I like the orange best! Would you have a picture of the whole shrub n2birds ?

MollyD
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #7568303

No Charlotte, they aren't evergreen. :-( like most azaleas.
Molly - the shrubs right now - look like sticks. I don't think I ever took pictures of them as bushes because they always seem so feeble. Always surprised whenever I get blooms because the bush never looks like it could put anything out. Maybe after I have had them several, several years, they will start looking like something. The yellow, I've probably had about 3 years and still wonder every year if it will make it or not. The orange one was new for me last year.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7568310

In NY all shrubs look like that right now! LOL

There are some shrubs that are best displayed with other lower fuller plants or shrubs in front so that the blooms are what you see instead of the leggy wood. They just don't do well as specimen plants.

MollyD

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #7568315

My MG project is a place called Wildwood. It is on 105 acres and has hundreds of the native azaleas that were planted a number of years ago. They are very large bushes and are absolutely gorgeous when they start blooming. I would like to have maybe a couple but that's all because I like to use my azaleas as a screen.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
3:32 AM

Post #7568322

Molly - so your azaleas don't stay green in winter up north?

I know exactly what you man Charlotte. They will do good as an accent plant, but not as a main bush. Only impressive when they bloom.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #7568325

I like that orange one also
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
12:45 PM

Post #7568910

n2birds most azaleas and rhodies loose their leaves up north. Some people spray them with an antidessicant and that helps. Not every single azalea or rhodie does loose them though. Depends on how tender, location (exposure to winds does a lot of damage) and soil conditions.

MollyD
gen2026
Camden, AR

February 22, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7578713

Wow - Bonnie those are stunning! I was looking at my landscape drawing that I had the guy here locally do that I was not pleased with and he has a LARGE section in all azeleas ... I was thinking it would sure look pitiful in the winter time. What do ya'll think? I have tried to figure out how to change the pdf file where I scanned his drawing to the computer so maybe ya'll could help me redo it ... but I have had no luck converting it to jpg... :(

I REALLY want to do my foundation planting this Spring ! but i need a good plan!!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7578858

Genna, I have large amounts of azeleas. I have put them in front of my fence all the way around my back yard. I chose azaleas because they provide a screen year round. I haven't actually counted all them. But I do know I have far over 100 (I counted that far and quit). In the spring when they bloom they are spectacular and then they provide a nice backdrop for other plants year round. They are nice and green throughout the winter. Now there is a native azalea variety that looses its leaves in the winter. But those are not common. My MG project is Wildwood, and there are hundreds of the native azalea's planted out there and during the winter they are not attractive. But Wildwood has another area that has a big mass of evergreen azalea's planted and it really looks good.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7579108

Wow Charlotte, I guess I just didn't pay attention when I was over there at the azaleas probably cause they weren't in bloom then, Do you root them easy enough? I heard they were hard to root. I have 5 of the azalea bollywood's ordered for this spring. http://www.springmeadownursery.com/bollywood.htm

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7579149

That's a pretty azalea. Like the variegated leaves. I haven't seen one with variegated leaves before. You did notice that it is semi-evergreen, so it is going to drop a lot of it's leaves in the winter. I have never tried to root a cutting, but I have new azaleas come up all the time. Branches will drop to the ground and self root. You can also weight a branch down and cover it with dirt and it will root. The ones I brought to RU in Oct were all ones that had self rooted and had become decent size azaleas. If I just get down and start looking around under the plants, I'll find ones that have rooted and I dig then up because I really don't need anymore at this point! When they bloom the whole back yard is in color! I have lots of different colors. You all will have to make a trip over when they are in bloom. All those green shrubs in the back yard are azaleas. Also most of the shrubs in the front of the house are azaleas. They are a shorter variety and I keep them cut back.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7579193

yes, I see a nother trip to your house when their in bloom LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 22, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7579808

Someone needs to buy a private jet and a pilot to take us all touring during bloom season on things !!!!!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7579829

Wouldn't that be nice LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7579832

When Danny wins the lottery I'll do just that

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 22, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7579847

I won't put my shoes on yet then--LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7579980

Yep, we need a ROFL smiley now
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7594801

We worked hard today, Look at all the rocks /boulders we brought up from the back for my new flower garden

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

February 28, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7595115

I hope you did not lift those, you better be careful all that hard work !!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2010
10:35 PM

Post #7595210

I helped, LOL. Darren and I rolled them into the bucket of the tractor then danny drove them over to the drop off place and dumped them. I only lifted the little ones :)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7595864

Good looking rocks!!! It's amazing what you can move by just rolling it. I learned that trick a long time ago.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7596926

Kathy Ann your work load is making mine seem way easier than my back is telling me! LOL. Wish I could get those rocks over here since I have some spots where I could use them.

MollyD

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7602239

Molly, just dig around a little. If Maury county is anything like Williamson or Rutherford, the rocks aren't too far down ;o)
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7604043

LOL could be since I noticed that my neighbor borders her beds with small rocks but what I wanted was small boulders!

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7612623

We got the rocks where we want them now, and the center filled in with lots of leaves, going to put this load of compost on top now.

lots of work still ahead, I don't know how long I can let it sit before I get the urge to put plants in it. I nee d for the leaves to break down but I guess i don't have to LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7612627

Yes, it's huge, and you can't hardly see it with all the leaves in side. I hope to start filling it late this afternoon after I get done sewing for the day.

I'll post several pics of the rocked area. maybe you can tell how big it is

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7612628

Another

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7612630

and the front of it.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7612658

OH I forgot that Danny said all those trees weren't pines, they were oak trees. so no pines in that area. DUH ! I should have know n that. there are pines in the woods behind that flower garden though LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7612660

I have a bunch of rooted forsythia limbs that I'm going to plant behind the flower garden and in front of the woods to hide that area over there,

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7613153

When you said HUGE you meant HUGE. You are really going to have fun with that!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7613157

LOL, yes, I did say huge. It was alot smaller but we still had tons of rocks left over so we just built it as much as we had rocks for LOL

I hope I have enough dirt to fill it with, Danny is suppose to go get some mulch for me this week if they have any for the top of it. I have a huge shelf of perennials left over from last fall's RU and other plants to go in there, still have 4 flats of iris I didn't get planted, but not putting them in this garden.

I have lots of plans for this new garden LOL

would like to trade some columbines for other varieties of columbines, I hav etons of ruby port columbines, want to put others in this garden

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7613211

I see that there are some trees inside of your area.

Please be careful with covering the trunks up too much, you can hurt the tree even kill it. is there a way to take your bed around the trunks?

Janet
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7613369

I'll keep that in mind.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7614677

Wow KA - that is gonna be beautiful ! Perfect setting. Now we just need to start saving tons of plants for you and your new area.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7614692

Yep, LOL I don't know how long it will take to break down those leaves, I hope it's soon, cause I already have alot of stuff to go in there left over from last year. but I can't plant in leaves .
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7615132

kathy ann you can make wells around any trees that might be where you want to work. That should keep them healthy. Just make it wide enough for all the major roots. Most of the time that is under 6' across.

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7615223

I must have worked too hard yesterday, my arms are killing me LOL
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7615273

A sure sign of progress on the job! LOL

MollyD
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7647998

You know, I've been doing some thinking about all this "NOT" building up the soil around all the trees, and everywhere I go in town, all the parks, all the fancy homes. EVERYWHERE all the trees have mulch or dirt piled up around them. probably mulch which is what I have here, broken down mulch.

None of those trees are dying, or look like their dying. Every one of the trees in my front and back yard have had mulched piled around them for years, the only one that's ever died is one single tree that didn't have anything planted around the roots, it was blown over by a storm last year.

I've gone ahead and put mulch around all those trees in the new flower bed, it's not thick, but those trees have already been mulched way before the garden was put there and all of them have iris planted around them.

I still haven't planted anything in this garden yet, waiting a bit longer for the weather to warm up before I start filling it.

Got some coop plants coming in that i'm going to be putting into this bed also.
gen2026
Camden, AR

March 31, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7669161

What we were taught in college horticulture classes was that the feeder roots of a tree extend around the leaf line of the tree. It is imperative not to smother those feeder roots - that if you want to cover the roots of a tree to build it up a couple of inches per year to give the feeder roots a chance to raise to the surface. Maybe because you are seeing mulch and not heavy soil - that is the difference... the nutrients and water can still get to the feeder roots... .??? Just a thought.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7669654

Could be, I'm using mulch too so maybe it will be ok. I've not had any problems yet. the trees i've seen have had l0 to l5 inches of milch piled ontop of them (mulch like mine) not wood chips.

I probably won't plant anything in this garden until the mulch and leaves break down , maybe this fall I can put some things in there. although i have 3 hydrangeas and one variegated elderberry out there now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America