Photo by Melody

Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow: The Only Thing That Grew in My Garden!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to growReplies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
8:59 PM

Post #7523253

Easy to grow is an understatement. My hubbie & I bought an historic farmhouse and 10 acres last February, and didn't have much time to get the garden area ready for planting. Besides my herbs, the spaghetti squash was the only thing that grew in the unprepared, untreated soil. It went NUTS! We ate spaghetti squash all summer long, and had plenty to give away as well. I did have an invasion of squash bugs, but they seemed to do little damage.

The squash is good with spaghetti sauce, or just with garlic and herbs and butter. Compared to regular spaghetti, it is a bit crunchy, but there is not much flavor. Which, if you're not a big squash fan, this is one squash that can be eaten! Great to sneak the veggies in for the kids! Shredded carrots in spaghetti sauce or chili is another great way, but that's getting off-topic!

I only kept 3 of the plants (I planted from seed), and the vines took over, so either train them on a fence or trellis, or allow PLENTY of room for the vines to spread. The plants survived several weeks where I had to work late and didn't get home in time to water them, and while they wilted and lost leaves, the plants still kept producing fruit! I was amazed. This year I am growing them on the fence!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 3:05 PM
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

February 2, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7523733

I planted two varieties of squash in '09: Spaghetti and Buttercup. The 'sghetti did the best, with 3 over 10 inches long / 6 inches across! But neither variety really did very well, relative to how many seeds were planted, due to rotten (cold) weather during mid-late summer...
Aunt_A

February 3, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7523978

RXAngel

Wow; I guess you introduced a lot of people to Spaghetti Squash and enjoyed some great veggies.

NordicFletch,

Too bad your seeds didn't do better. This has been crazy weather the last few years.

Thank you both for reading and commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spaghetti squash: fun to eat and easy to grow Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can you plant the seeds? bolino 6 Feb 2, 2010 11:52 PM
spaghetti squash article joeswife 14 Oct 29, 2012 4:37 PM
Cutting Spaghetti Squash Vavoom 7 Oct 29, 2012 2:21 AM
wow... thanks Catrscr 1 Feb 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Quick meal Gardennot 2 Oct 29, 2012 8:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America