Message from IB and responses

Havelock, Canada

Thread was getting to long so continued it over here.

We came from here -
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1073132/#new

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks from the bottom of my dial-up heart! :)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Dyson,I have to say that link was so good I had a great laff, thanks so much, I needed it.
Michael, I know you are already "growing on us" ... Thanks!

Havelock, Canada

Guess I made a mistake about the forum. Oops. Hey I tried. If someone needs to change it I won't be offended. It works here though. Guess I shouldn't try things just before I go to bed.

Apologies
Elaine and Otis

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Works for me. And while I'm not on dial-up, by hi-speed is "lite" and I was having to click on "Skip to new" about three times before it go to the bottom of the thread. Thanks for moving us.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

it's in the right spot now ;o)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

We sure all are in the Right Spot!

Thanks Terry.

Hap

Havelock, Canada

Thanks Terry!

My intentions were good but never noticed the difference in forums.

Elaine and Otis

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Thank you for the assurance Michael!
as long as our email addresses are safe, i will not leave. this was my biggest concern.
You said we should contact Dave if we have an urgent problem. What is his position now in DG now? is he just a regular member, or his he still sort of an administrator? you haven't been too clear on that.
also, if i may ask, are you planning to change the rules we have concerning religion, politics, etc.?
Thank you for answering, and sorry if i was a bit harsh in the beginning. i am willing to give you a chance, i was just upset about what happened to Dave. Please be straightforward with us, that way we can all avoid many misunderstandings!
isaac

(Zone 5a)

''So, if I was in charge here, I would take the logical course of action in keeping the whole subscription thing the way it is. And that is, incidentally, what IB has told me they plan to do. I think they are smart to do it.''

Thank you Dave!! I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts, but I need to subscribe before March and wasn't sure what to do. I will get my year paid for and hope we all stay one big happy family!

I've met so many people, and I like and care about everyone! You're all special!

I also love being BillyPorter.

Billy, AKA Sally

Christmas morn and it's Dyson dark! (Inside joke on the Weather Forum)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Isaac, Michael said this on Feb. 1st:

"We have also offered Dave the option of staying on as a community Admin and sounding board to us if he so pleases but we've agreed that we should take things one step at a time. His role will change and he will have some new found free time to pursue other activities, but I am sincere in saying that Dave's voice still matters and will be highly influential with us."

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

More importantly, has Dave accepted this new 'position'???

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I skipped through the last thread to get to here (and I will go back to read it), but I really wanted to say something.

This is Dave's Garden in every sense. Yes, the name will probably change, there'll probably be some changes made on the site and some people will probably leave. But the bottom line, this IS Dave's Garden. In our hearts, it always will be. We have friends here. It would be impossible to keep in touch with everyone that we are friends with or have befriended and I'm afraid that so many would be left behind and not know how to keep in touch.

If I were Dave, in spite of the love and loyalty that everyone is showing, I would be heartbroke to see something I invested 10 (?) years of my life in and built the community that he did, come crashing down, even if done out of loyalty. He doesn't strike me as a vindictive person. He has a family and a farm of his own, that I'm sure he would love to spend more time with. If it happens that he isn't staying on in any capacity, then, I hope he takes a very long vacation to enjoy what he and Trish built on their homefront. It would be wonderful for him to stay on and everything remain the same. If not, well...Dave and Trish, thank you for the many years of service and sacrafice and best wishes for any future endeavors!

Robin

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Robin, I agree with every word you you posted, I too wish Dave and family they very best and may all their endeavors in the future become true.

At the age of 81, I am probably the oldest gardener on DG. When my husband was deathly ill for many years, DG was my only respite for an hour each day making many friends and also meeting quite a few, helping a lot to get me out of that deep hole I felt buried in.
I m very sad about Dave not being the leader any more but there are many things in life we have no control over it.

Maria

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Maria,

Keep with us for many more years. GO MARIA!!!!

Hap

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Hap, never planned to quit DG for one minute

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I couldn't even guess at how many people that Dave's Garden is a lifeline for, for one reason or another...information that slips out here and there throughout the site. I have met some wonderful people through Dave's Garden and a whole lot more that I really enjoy "talking" to. We pat people on the back, lend an ear, or a shoulder to cry on. They are all friends, whether we meet or not. I'd hate the thought of losing contact with everyone, so I'm staying.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

My sentiments, exactly, msrobin. And hope your birthday has been wonderful!

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Man, our computer has been out of commission since Thanksgiving & just got back on....I think my heart has broken....I've just scanned the many, many posts to get an overview but have to say how sad I am to see any of this change...this has been a "safe" place for me with numerous friends and wonderful interaction over the years, I will try to go back and read the entire thing to see what actually has taken place.....I just see lots of "God's Speed" sorta things to Dave....I'm just blown away...I run past the messages and see names that are like family to me....hope I'm overreacting....just two cents....Deb

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 9:23 PM

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

That was lovely, auntie. And so true.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Very poignant and oh so true!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Did you compose that, Aunt_A? If so, you have a lovely gift!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I , for one, am still furious and sad. How can you trust someone who talks out both sides of their mouth? And knowing that Dave is at the very heart of this site, how can they make these decisions which are not in the best interest of the biggest family on the web? I fervently protest and will give serious consideration if I will renew my membership.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Please read http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1071571/ . The first post is from Dave himself. I hope it makes you feel better.

my 2 cents: IB has no obligation to speak to us at all. They bought this site from a third party (see thread I linked above), not even from Dave. They are being very accommodating to even have someone follow these threads. Maybe there are people here who never go anywhere else on the internet, don't understand that sites require money to run, they do seem to be awfully sheltered. They also seem not to realize that the bigger a site gets, not only cash but the more time it takes to maintain, and Dave may want a little of his time for his family and home. It seems that Dave is not upset about this, now that he and IB are communicating, so I don't see that any of us users should be. If we should be peeved at anyone, it would be the former owners, but that doesn't get anyone anywhere, so it's not worth it. Besides, I have more pressing things in my life on which to expend my energy.

Like seed and perennial catalogs. Spring plant coops. Winter sowing. Snow removal.

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Aunt_A that was beautiful and said it all...............
Jan

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

My Dear Dave's Garden Family,
I think it's perfectively fine if someone wants to express their anger and sadness over this situation on this forum. I don't think we should tell anyone that they shouldn't feel a certain way. Everyone grieves in their own way and in their own time, and that is what this is. We are all in mourning for this website. A place that has been much more than just a website for so many of us. Some of us are in earlier stages of this grieving. Some of us are further along and have gotten to acceptance. Lets not try to rush anyone to be further along in their grief then they are. Lets give them the space and the support they need right now.

Joy

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Not trying to tell them they shouldn't feel that way, just expressing my 2 cents. Also allowed, as far as I can tell.

'bye now.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, Very much allowed. :-) I just could feel the anguish in rylaff's post and wanted them to know it was ok to express this here, regardless of how anyone else here feels.

Joy

Xai Xai, Mozambique

I just sincerely hope that this website changes only for the better, and that it doesn't become impersonal. i am not someone who is on a lot of websites, but i so love DG because its not just a place that you can get information, its a family. i REALLY hope it continues to function this way!!!!
isaac

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 9:24 PM

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, it is a death in a way. The site that Dave built will no longer be run by Dave. What will be born out of this, no one knows. Most things will probably stay the same, and if we can keep Dave as our advocate things might continue to be very well indeed.

On the other hand, we have no promises from IB. They could sell off parts of the site, change the software over to the much more complex and unfriendly vBulletin (which they own) and use our plant photos and information for their own gain in ways we haven't even thought of. Such is the contract we all agreed to. At any point they could even turn 180 degrees from what they're doing if market analysis show that it would be worth more money. They are a publicly traded company with primary responsibility to the share holders, after all. Placating the customers and employees is rule number one of any acquisition, to stop them from fleeing and devaluing the new asset. It would be in their interest to tell us what we want to hear for as long as possible. Michael might even be sincere (and I hope he is--I will treat him as worthy of trust until he gives me strong reason not to, though I would like to better know his position with the company) but corporations are not run by individuals, and they do not recognize values such as loyalty.

So no, I don't trust them. I've played this game before and seen companies ripped apart, sold off piecemeal, or simply shutdown as competitors that were endangering some other important interest, all after the customers were reassured, sometimes for as long as a year after the acquisition, that nothing was going to change and all was well. I've seen user created databases like plantfiles locked up behind paywalls or integrated into other products and kept from the original contributors. I've seen large sites go dark suddenly and with no explanation of what changed, or turned into advertising portals. On a lesser scale, I was also a sponsor of GardenWeb, before bad things happened to chase me away.

If you're still thinking that Dave's Garden is a cosy family affair, a labor of love, a part of you that can't be replaced, this is the time to reassess and start thinking of them as a transient service provided by an entity that cannot and will never care about you.

However--and this is important--none of that devalues the tremendous value that Dave's Garden provides us today, right now. Dave's garden isn't about the company or the web service. I haven't always agreed with the choices that Dave has made on this site. But Dave gave us a container and let us fill it up. He gave us structure and let us create within it. He gave us a common ground and we came and met each other and have been greatly enriched. He made us feel like family, he labored for this site and us out of love, and a part of him is in this site and will remain until the last page is shutdown, hopefully many long years hence. This will always be Dave's garden, because his contributions can't be squashed by any monetary transaction.

Dave gave us each other. And he gave of himself. We won't lose that no matter what happens.

Let's enjoy the site while it's here. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. We will continue to share and learn from each other and enjoy the amazing contributions in PlantFiles and Garden Watchdog and old forum threads. If the day comes that we must move on, we will carry everything we gained here forward with us--knowledge, friendships, experience--and grow all the better in the new soils we encounter. The forums prosper because we're here, not vice versa.

It never hurts to back up your journal entries, exchange email addresses with friends, and look around for other opportunities in both the physical and the virtual world to share the wonderful things we enjoy on this site. I think this would be an excellent time for hard working volunteers to either get paid or receive strong contractual guarantees as the future disposition of any materials that they work on. But if this cynical, battered old fool had to guess, I'd say we'll still be here for a long time to come. And Dave will be here with us.

Thanks to all of you.

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Umm, what name is IB again? "Internet something-or-other" I didn't quite memorize it.

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Melissa, it's Internet Brands, Inc.

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Terry, Aha! Thank you!

And I just bought twenty shares of INET. Paltry little bit, but I'll probably get a little more if funds arrive,,,,

Melissa

This message was edited Feb 4, 2010 11:20 AM

Phoenix, AZ

Michael (or Terry), if you're still reading this despite all the overblown hysterics, I have a logistics question:

WHEN will the fantabulous search engine be up and running? There's so much info that's hidden in the bodies of posts that I'd like to access and can't. Really looking forward to a good search feature.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would like my two questions answered as well. Will DG subscriptions be 'cross-honored' on other IB sites and did Dave accept the offer of this new position?

Quoting:
WHEN will the fantabulous search engine be up and running?

The developers told me that a custom search engine for the forums will be a very high priority item, but Michael later told me that they will transition the forums here to vBulletin v4.

So I don't see why they would waste time developing a search engine for this custom DG forum software, when they'll be transitioning to different forum software soon enough...

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave!

...sounds like more bad news.... : (

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

DO NOT CHANGE THE FORMAT OF THE SITE!

ALL THE FEATURES THAT WE HAVE GROWN TO KNOW AND LOVE ARE

PERFECT!

*beg*

Post a Reply to this Thread