Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Zone Gardening: pull the plug?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 206
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 3, 2010
4:11 PM

Post #7525674

Last year we moved into a house with a bunch of lovely old trees. Since then I've already had to remove one huge 60-year old royal poinciana tree and now I'm afraid the mandarin orange in the front yard is on its last legs.

I pruned off all of the substantial amounts of dead growth and now there's almost nothing left. It has fruited, but the fruit has remained very small and some of it has started to turn orange without growing to appropriate size.

I've attached a picture of the tree. What do you people think? Is it time to move on?

Thumbnail by happyisland
Click the image for an enlarged view.

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 3, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7525934

i really don't know, Happyisland. isn't there some way to revive it maybe???
isaac
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 3, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7525947

In my experience citrus trees have a limited life span.
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 4, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7527163

Reviving it is what I'm hoping to do, but I'm afraid Dutchlady1's diagnosis is correct. The silver lining is that this will free up space in the yard to put in a new fruit tree...
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 4, 2010
12:35 AM

Post #7527176

Oh, goodness, go find the next generation! Poor old tree, they do have a finite lifespan. I have some aging citrus to deal with, so I know it's difficult.

Happy shopping!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7527868

Aloha,

I'm with Hetty, I think it's past it's "sell by date". I have trouble with the mandarin tree here at sea level - all the baby fruit fell off this year although we did very well with the oranges, pummelo and limes, I am beginning to think that mandarin should be grown further up the hill - anyone know?

Jenn
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 4, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7528657

The only citrus really suited to the tropics is lime. I have a lemon, here when I bought the place, but it produces a little only occasionally, and the fruit stays green. A friend has some Kaffir Limes about 5 metres high and they very healthy and full of fruit. Generally it's limes that are recommended for here.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 4, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7529442

What is the average lifespan of citrus trees?
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 5, 2010
12:16 AM

Post #7530541

Ok, thanks to everybody for giving me the courage to rip this old tree out. I hate to lose it, especially since it was productive last year. Just my luck...

Anyway, the only question now is: Glenn or Kent? I saw two good looking trees in the garden center and I'm going to go grab one tomorrow.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

February 5, 2010
12:26 AM

Post #7530577

Often a plant will have one last flush of fruit when it's so stressed that it will die.

Have fun shopping! Can't help you with choices, sorry. I know nothing of citrus!
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 6, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7536528

As of 4:30 this afternoon the plug has been pulled! It was the right call too, because the trunk was completely diseased and the poor old thing was on its last legs. No chance of "prune and fertilize" working this time.

I've replaced it with a spry-looking Glenn mango I got at the garden center today. This brings my mango collection up to a Carrie, a Valencia Pride, an Alphonso, and a Glenn. I have a Nam Doc Mai on the way that I ordered from a nursery in the states.

I think that will pretty much fill up my property - at least until the next big old tree kicks the bucket...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 6, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7536590

I don't know those other varieties you've got, but I have 5 Nam Doc Mai trees. They're quite small trees compared to other varieties. They were here when I bought the place and must be over 10 years old. But they're a lot denser and smaller than other younger varieties I have. Most likely would have been grafted, that helps keep a tree size down.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

February 7, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7538949

If yours is like an orange tree I cut down, you'll continue to have branches shoot up from the trunk, from below ground level. I had to spray with brush-b-gone to "end it all".
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 7, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7539076

Actually, this orange tree was on its last legs and the wood in the trunk was dry and crumbly. I really doubt it will send any shoots up, but if it does I'll know what to do.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 7, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7539161

I love all varieties of mango!!! I also make chutney and give them as gift. You should be able to grow a lot of the tropical fruits being in Arruba. Belle
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7540592

It sounds as if you certainly made the best decision, and will enjoy the mango's for a long time to come. Does anybody else make mango curd (same as lemon curd)? It's delicious!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 8, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7541889

aaaah, mangoes!! i so love them, but i can't eat them. Doctors orders, they make my bloodsugar go up and down too much!
but one every now and then won't kill me, right?
isaac
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 8, 2010
9:42 PM

Post #7542629

Brave,
Mango curd!!! how about a recipe. thanks. Belle
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 9, 2010
12:41 AM

Post #7543096

I second that - please share the mango curd recipe!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
4:56 AM

Post #7543769

Aloha,

This was given to me by Daisy Duckworth, a very good cook who lives in Australia...

Mango Curd.
3/4 C sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 C pureed mango
1/4 C butter
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs orange zest
6 egg yolks, beaten.

Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in the mango, butter, lemon juice and orange zest. Cook over med heat and stir constantly. Put the yolks into a small bowl and stir in a little of the hot mixture, add some more of the hot mixture and stir in well to warm the yolks. Now stir the warmed yolks into the rest of the hot mixture in the pan and bring just to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened. Put into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap. Chill well.

Delicious on toast or as a filling for pastries, etc. Mom just spoons it out of the bowl and eats it neat!

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 9, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7544218

Brave,
Thnak you for the recipe. i will certainly try when mangoes are plentiful in the market. Belle
happyisland
Mon Plaisir
Aruba

February 9, 2010
2:16 PM

Post #7544378

My scraggly little new mango trees are a year or two away from being able to provide me with even a cup of pureed mango, but I really appreciate the recipe! I'll have to get out the long-handled fruit picker and "borrow" some from the neighbors in the middle of the night...

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

February 10, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7547062

Hahaha, just be careful if they have a dog!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America