Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: Interesting Bee question

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
artistwantobe
Fayetteville, GA

February 3, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7526859

My bees have been hanging out on some partly built out frames. These frames have never had honey or pollen in
them. On close exam I saw them cut off tiny bits of wax. They also are arriving at the hive with white in thier leg pockets.
Do you think I have some smart enterprising, recyling bees?
I asked this question to experienced bee keepers and the bee department at the University of Georgia. No one knows. And
no one has ever seen bees get the wax off another frame. They keep saying that they must be getting honey or pollen
that was left. But, there was never any in this frame,
Anyone ever heard of this?
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

February 6, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7536217

Its sounds like the bees are just building the comb on the frame and getting it ready for the store as far as the white in the pollen sac it just pollen from a white flower.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 4:30 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 6, 2010
9:49 PM

Post #7536298

I'm not sure I understand what is going on. Are the bees taking wax from an empty comb somewhere else and taking it back to their hive?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America