Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives: heat mats curb mildew?

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive AlternativesReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

February 3, 2010
11:19 PM

Post #7526954

I have never been successful starting zinnias, annual vinca or browallia from seed. These three are highly prone to mildew. Would the heat mat help keep the mildew down?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2010
5:01 AM

Post #7527917

I have good luck simply direct-sowing zinnias in spring, after our average last frost date.

By "mildew" do you mean damping off, where the stems pinch in at about the soil line & the seedlings keel over? Or do you mean powdery mildew, which honestly I've never seen on my seedlings, although I do see it sometimes out in the garden... ?

In either case, I'm not sure a heat mat would make a difference either way, but you might find some other helpful tips in my article on preventing damping off: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/277/

Good luck!
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

February 5, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7533010

Either downy mildew or botrytis (grey mold) where your have fuzzy, raised moldy stuff (fruiting bodies) on plants that are past the damping off stage. I worked at a nursery where we had limited success starting these three from seed. When you're trying to have blooming plants ready to sell by Memorial Day you have to start early, usually mid-February, when sunshine and heat are hard to come by in CT. Most commercial growers go straight to the chemical fungicides. I'm not about to use that stuff inside my house, but I'd still like to be able to get a jump on the season. I've never been successful with any of these.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7533057

I've had downy mildew on houseplants in the winter... better air circulation and warmer temps both seemed to help, so maybe heat mats would be of use. There are less harsh remedies... sprays with milk, or with hydrogen peroxide... google, and you'll probably find recipes, or post over in the Garden Pests & Diseases forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/pad/all/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Seedling Heat Mats and Inexpensive Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very interesting doccat5 18 Oct 10, 2009 5:50 PM
Multiple heat mats woofie 7 Mar 6, 2009 9:10 PM
Cycad Palm Franki_2008 3 Feb 3, 2008 6:25 AM
Keep reading, you just never know! Tink2U 1 Apr 21, 2008 10:40 PM
heat pads DIRTYGIRL71 2 Oct 24, 2009 12:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America