Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You: Leeks

Communities > Forums > Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You
bookmark
Forum: Article: Leeks: Good and Good For YouReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
larrylb
meadville,pa
United States

February 4, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7530226

I love leeks, they are my favorite for flavoring olive oil. Also,(in ApriI, in nw PA), I simply cut the roots off the end when cleaning for usage and then "plant" the little root-pieces back in the same area I just dug them from. Within 2 years (In April) they will have grown enough to harvest and I repeat this process over and over again and now have a hundred plants...
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7530792

Oh how very clever, and it makes total sense!
larrylb
meadville,pa
United States

February 6, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7535937

Hi, Dutchlady1, thank you for your kind reply. Have you ever tried to grow avocado trees from the big "seed" inside the fruit? Just put 3 tooth-picks about 1/2 way up the middle of the "seed" and place it (pointed end up) in a glass of water... In a short while (10--14 days) a "root" will appear from the bottom, eventually you can "pot" it. I have three that are 5 years old (in June). They are 6' tall and are in pots now that are 18" dia. and 2' tall. The trouble here is that I have to keep bringing them in the house over the winter. In FL you could plant them outside or at least keep them in pots outside all year. They are a lovely tree and grow really fast. I don't expect any fruit but one never knows and I don't have the heart to "pitch" them. Anyway I just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to try something a little different... Larrylb
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7537796

Thanks, and yes, I have done that. However, I don't have room for a big fruit tree in my yard and since my neighbors have one... well... ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy!!! threegardeners 21 Feb 1, 2010 11:02 PM
Dutchlady & leeks Helioman 0 Jan 14, 2008 3:32 PM
Growing and eating ejanelli 1 Jan 15, 2008 8:55 PM
Leeks bleek 0 Jan 28, 2010 12:06 AM
Thanks! Petalpants 1 Jan 28, 2010 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America