Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You: Leeks

Communities > Forums > Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You
bookmark
Forum: Article: Leeks: Good and Good For YouReplies: 3, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
larrylb
meadville,pa
United States

February 4, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7530226

I love leeks, they are my favorite for flavoring olive oil. Also,(in ApriI, in nw PA), I simply cut the roots off the end when cleaning for usage and then "plant" the little root-pieces back in the same area I just dug them from. Within 2 years (In April) they will have grown enough to harvest and I repeat this process over and over again and now have a hundred plants...
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2010
1:40 AM

Post #7530792

Oh how very clever, and it makes total sense!
larrylb
meadville,pa
United States

February 6, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7535937

Hi, Dutchlady1, thank you for your kind reply. Have you ever tried to grow avocado trees from the big "seed" inside the fruit? Just put 3 tooth-picks about 1/2 way up the middle of the "seed" and place it (pointed end up) in a glass of water... In a short while (10--14 days) a "root" will appear from the bottom, eventually you can "pot" it. I have three that are 5 years old (in June). They are 6' tall and are in pots now that are 18" dia. and 2' tall. The trouble here is that I have to keep bringing them in the house over the winter. In FL you could plant them outside or at least keep them in pots outside all year. They are a lovely tree and grow really fast. I don't expect any fruit but one never knows and I don't have the heart to "pitch" them. Anyway I just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to try something a little different... Larrylb
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7537796

Thanks, and yes, I have done that. However, I don't have room for a big fruit tree in my yard and since my neighbors have one... well... ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Leeks: Good and Good For You Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yummy!!! threegardeners 21 Feb 1, 2010 11:02 PM
Dutchlady & leeks Helioman 0 Jan 14, 2008 3:32 PM
Growing and eating ejanelli 1 Jan 15, 2008 8:55 PM
Leeks bleek 0 Jan 28, 2010 12:06 AM
Thanks! Petalpants 1 Jan 28, 2010 5:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America