Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: help please

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 5, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7530441

now what do i do?

ok i winter sowed some datura seeds as someone told me they needed cold to geminate. they are in the little peat pellets do i leave them in them till roots start showing then plant them? in dirt pellet and all?

have a few tomatoes planted but nothing yet.
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 4, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7530467

I dont know but look at these great sayings about eating Datura. Apparently, it should not be eaten. Very pretty flower.

"blind as a bat, mad as a hatter, red as a beet, dry as a bone, the bowel and bladder lose their tone, and the heart runs alone."

"Eat a little, and go to sleep. Eat some more, and have a dream. Eat some more, and don't wake up."

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2010
12:13 AM

Post #7530527

Datura doesn't need cold to germinate. It is a tropical plant and possibly a perennial in your zone.

I would leave them in the peat pellet. When roots begins to show, pot up to a 3" pot, unless the weather in your zone is warm enough to plant outdoors. You can also place the plant outside if the temp is above freezing during the day, then take them in at night. .

Daturas are poisonous. Wash your hands after handling. Keep from kids and pets.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7531238

I've read they are zone9... but what's a zone... once established, just watch for them the following year.
They just may come back for you. I'm always thrilled when a plant not zone hardy for me comes back.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7531796

For those of you who live in colder zones, you can overwinter Datura in your fridge, or other cold (above freezing) place.

Here is a link to how I did it. Mine is now peacefully sleeping in my fridge.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051779/
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

February 5, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7533299

I was astounded when I began seeing datura plants & seeds in the seed catalogs. Around here, northern Arizona, there is a native datura called "sacred datura" that is known to be terribly poisonous. The native datura flowers are white and extremely beautiful. I wish the seed catalogs would stress the fact that datura is poisonous.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America