Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: S. miniata

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 7, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7534017

S. miniata is ambitious ! getting an early start. Got the plant in Oct. it was in a 3 1/2 in pot. In a one gallon now and I was hoping to wait a few more weeks to put it in the ground, but it's outgrowing it's shoes already , but boy is red a hard color to photograph !

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

February 6, 2010
2:13 AM

Post #7534160

Salvia miniata has the possibility of naturalizing in south Florida. I'd like to know if it shows the same tendency for you.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7534223

if it's as good at bringing the hummers in as it's touted to be, I'd be thrilled if it took off. I'll probably try several locations, after I get some cuttings rooted, then I can figure out where it will be happiest.
garygardener
Nowra
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 6, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7534554

Hi, I have grown this salvia twice in Australia and feel it likes a sheltered spot sun/ half shade best. My current plant is only fairly new too but as it is summer here has pushed out rapid new growth with terminal flower panicles. Yes the color is hard to photograph, and is an unusual orange toned red. Seems to layer easily once established but i have never seen it set viable seed.
Good luck and enjoy!

Thumbnail by garygardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2010
10:42 AM

Post #7534801

Gary, yes, I have one spot in particular near our front porch where it would get bright light/then dappled sun I was hoping it would work there so I can watch the hummers. The pot's been setting under the edge of some oak trees and really doesn't get any direct sun right now.
2salvia
London
United Kingdom

February 6, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7535215

It sets quite a few seeds in England, which is just as well as the first frost usually kills this Salvia...and we don't have hummers! Cuttings are easy to root.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

February 6, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7536227

I've found that most red Salvias are a true red when measured with the RHS color charts and when measured using the Adobe Photoshop color picker on scanned images of flowers. I think that color perception is in part controlled by the diffraction effects of the fine hairs on the flowers where the pigments are found. Couple this with the different hues of sunlight at mid-day versus dawn or dusk, which are enriched in yellow, Backgrounds, shading, and cloud cover also affect color perception.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
12:15 AM

Post #7536736

I've just got my old Olympus stylus 500 camera, and I'm still figuring out how to use a lot of the features. Free Photoeditor (Irfan View), which doesn't give a ton of features but does the trick for me. One day maybe I can get something more advanced. I have found that having a green background makes the red's look better so sometimes it's a bit of an acrobatic adventure trying to get some of the pictures to get a green background ( me practically standing on my head, looking upside down.)
Robin, good to hear you get seeds maybe I will too, but yes it practically roots by itself. No hummers there? They are such a delight !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America