HOW TO - Make faux sea glass Part 2

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

...a continuation of a thread which has been going on since
August 17, 2007, perhaps it is time for a new thread. We've come
from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761052/

Won't you join us? The current topic is sources for blue glass bottles.

:-) Karen Marie

Thumbnail by WUVIE
mulege, Mexico

Come to Mexico and go to a dump. I've found lots of blue glass here. For some reason, there's often a lot of blue bottles tossed at Christmas. I was not able to get to the dump this Christmas season due to a dog bite (from a neighbor's dog, not one of my five) so I don't know how things are this years. I have a huge collection gathered over the years. I collect whole bottles and also broken pieces, which I tumble.

come on down!!

katie

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Cookies? Cookies? I don' see no stiniking cookies!!!!

mulege, Mexico

You have to fight the dogs for them.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Ha ha ha, Pigeon! I completely forgot! LOL!

Thumbnail by WUVIE

Yummmmm....tasty! Thanks!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm only here for the cookies............

Oh, and you can ask at bars & restaurants for blue bottles. They should have a couple a week just from that gin or vodka that comes in the cobalt blue bottle. A friend even got a yellow bottle from one, but it didn't melt down very nicely...

Olympia, WA

I admit to paying the price to get a blue bottle (of water), as well as a red one. I haven't done anything w/ them - much less opening them. THAT was when I knew I had gone over the edge.

Cedar Park, TX

Sorry I missed all the questions. I compete in dog agility and was at a dog agility trial yesterday.
My blue bottles were Reisling bottles. There is a "24/7" brand that is popular here in Austin. Cheap too, about $9.00/bottle. It is too sweet for me, so I ask friends to save it for me.
Yes, I am gluing the glass I tumbled right onto the glass from a picture frame. I have been getting the frames, usually with pictures in them, at garage sales/Goodwill. If any of you decide to do this, let me know. I have lots of hints about which frames to look for! Little things I have learned that have really slowed me down.
I used "3 in 1" glue I got at Hobby Lobby with blue recently. It left little bubbles showing through the glass. It looks pretty, actually. But it isn't what I want. Right now I am making another amber tumbled glass frame and I'm using E6000. This glue really sticks! But it also really STINKS. I have had to move out to the garage because it stinks the house up.
I'm so excited all of you have responded.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

OH, Yes! Please post your tips, tricks and hints on what kinds of frames to look for! This looks so pretty and do-able even for me ^_^ I know that I will need all of the help that I can get...

Windrose, if you could create a new thread for your framed tumbled-glass project with a photo and all your suggestions & tips, I'm sure a lot of folks would find it really useful!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good idea!

Cedar Park, TX

Well, you'll have to explain to me how to do that! I didn't see anything about starting a new thread. I want to get you guys going with tumbled glass again so we can discuss projects. JuneyBug, want me to ship you some tumbled glass??

How to start a new thread:
Go to the main Trash to Treasure screen. Scroll down to the very bottom. You'll see "Starting a New Topic". Enter the title of your new thread in the "Subject" box, and then fill in the "your message" box just like you're used to doing. Add a photo, and then click the button to Preview, check that it looks like you want it to, then click Send. It will show up in the main Trash to Treasure screen as a new item. After that it works the same as what you've been doing here.

Can't wait to see what you have to share with us!!

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Karen for the fresh thread & the cookies ...

Katiebear .. That offer is really tempting blue bottles & warmer weather

Juneybug.. here in Texas the TABC wont let them save you bottles i have tried that one too :(

Windrose .. Dont breath :)
Thanks for the info Please post any pointers we love detailes .. Please come back here and post the link to the new Thread so everyone can follow you .
dog agility what kind of dog are you running/ I have Aussies

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

here in Texas the TABC wont let them save you bottles i have tried that one too :(

Really?? last week I was at a nice restrauant and asked if they had any in the trash.. I left with a sack full of blue and dark green ones that I added to my bottle tree..Maybe they didnt know it wasnt allowed

Cedar Park, TX

I will post a new thread on the tumbled glass window frames, but here is a picture of the amber one I just finished a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by windrose

I really LIKE these!

Madison, CT

Thanks for the how-to on starting a new thread. I just started one on using a wood stove as a kiln.

I want to use the small pieces of glass that I've tumbled into artwork.

Hope someone has an answer for me.

Cedar Park, TX

imapigeon, what I like about these tumbled glass picture frames is I don't have to grout them! They are so easy to make too.

I finished another amber one last night, using E6000. The E6000 also made bubbles. Seems like the first one I made I used Crafter's Pick, a water-based glue. I didn't get bubbles with that.

I am starting another one today (my first actual order!) using olive colored glass from assorted wine bottles. Toad Hollow wine has a great light olive green bottle. I'm going back to the Crafter's Pick glue. Will let y'all know if I get bubbles with it. I am going to wait until I see the results of this glue before I start the new thread, as I would hate to give bad advice out there on the glue.

Cedar Park, TX

This is not tumbled glass, but here is a table I did awhile back for my bedroom. The table is a garage sale find that I painted. I broke up two panes of stained glass and did the top of the table mosaic with them. The square tiles are from Hobby Lobby and they were my big cost at $5.99 per bag. I had to use two bags. You can see what I glued on the legs and stuff. Didn't it turn out well?

Thumbnail by windrose

Love the color combination, and the detail work on the legs---VERY cute!!! And I'll bet it's practical, too.

Cedar Park, TX

I want to make myself a lamp to put on the table using tumbled glass. I am going to try and find a lamp kit today. I have been saving all my big chunky pieces of green glass. I saw this incredible lamp for sale at:

www.swanklighting.com/files/images/gallery/DSC-0029

It looks more like tumbled rocks, but I think I can modify it to look good. Anyway, who has $1,000 or more for a lamp?!

mulege, Mexico

That llink doesn't work for me.

katie

Cedar Park, TX

Actually try this:

http://www.swanklighting.com/files/images/gallery/DSC_0029_1.JPG

And, my mistake, the lamp is $2,500.00!

Cedar Park, TX

Katiebear, if that doesn't work, just go to www.swanklighting.com and then go down to the "rock candy" lamp down on the left. Click it and then you can see the lamps made with some sort of tumbled glass rock.

I bought a couple of those green vases you get flowers in at Goodwill. They have a rough blubbly sort of texture to them. I tumbled them and I think they might work.

I've seen the tumbled glass rock for sale on some recycled glass sites.

Those lamps are nifty!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Katie - http://www.swanklighting.com/lamps/rock-candy

WOW... Thats a chunk of cash for T2T ... how come none of us T2T divas arnt making that kind of money ...

Cedar Park, TX

I know! Couldn't believe it when I saw the price. That is why I am making my own.

I am sort of thinking that with that much glass, I might need something more like liquid nails to hold ithe layers of glass in place. Any suggestions on the best glue for something similar to all that glass on the lamp?

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

OMG! The white pair was &3K and the green was $3600! We need to re-think TtoT and quit selling at the flea market and start looking at the high-end stores! (And I need to get moving on actually starting & finishing some of these ideas that I have...)

Cedar Park, TX

After looking at lamp kits, I lost my nerve and ended up buying a little glass & brass lamp at Goodwill for $4.00. I wish I was like Wuvie and knew how to do everything (!), but I am severely limited in skills. The kit seemed complicated...

I cleaned the lamp up and placed some tumbled glass pieces on it to see how it will look. It isn't going to look like the high end one, but I want to use stuff I tumbled. It won't look so rock candy, which I love, but I don't have those rocks. I am taking pictures as I go.

I think someone else should do one too!

mulege, Mexico

Those are beautiful. And I agree, some of us should be making them and getting rich.

I think of the glass is tumbled very briefly, the sharpest edges will be smoothed but the "rock" look will remain.

I think getting Goodwill or garage sale lamps and "converting them is a great idea. Wiring a lamp is not difficult. Find someone who knows how and have them show you if the instructions with the kit seem to complicated. Sometimes the people who write instructions don't seem to have the goal of helping the person trying to follow them.

katie who is sitting on a fortune in broken glass AKA potential rock candy lamps.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, my gosh, Windrose, I don't know diddly. LOL.

You can do any of the things we post, absolutely.

Are you going to paint the lamp before application of the pieces? The
only reason I ask is because sometimes the adhesive you use will chemically
react to the paint. This may or may not be a result you will like.

Just a mention, as I've had something happen that was a good thing, but
quite an accident. :-) KM

Katie. I want to see one in Blue :)
Windrose can't wait for pictures .. have to go to town tomorrow will have to stop at GW to see what kind of lamps & frames they have .

Cedar Park, TX

Wuvie! I was waiting for you to come back to the thread. Trust me, I have read the entire thread since 2007, so I know you know how to do everything!
The lamp is clear, so I won't need to paint it. I am going to start work on it today.

denimangle, they have those lamps in blue on their web site. Really the blue is my favorite. Also, I am running a toy American Eskimo Dog.

Cedar Park, TX

I've been working on my lamp. This is harder than I thought it would be. The lamp base is clear class. It is round of course. The pieces just tend to slide around after I stick them on. So I was having to stand around and wait for them to dry as I pressed on them. Finally, I thought about putting a small rubber band around the piece and lamp base as it dried, to hold it in place. This has worked. But, I have to wait awhile for each piece to dry. But still, not $2,500 worth!

mulege, Mexico

Maybe you could let the glue dry a bit and then put the glass on.

I have a lamp with a clear base that can be filled. It has blue glass pieces in it. Maybe I can glue some more on the outside.. First, I have to vacumn. I can't believe how much sand five dogs can bring in. Good thing they don't know how to use pails.

katie

I was looking at the lamp pictures again this morning . I really think they are cool ...but I dont think the glass was tumbled its to clear I think maybe they might have fired in a kiln just to get the sharp edged off .
also the chunks are so thick almost like they melted a big slab of glass and then smashed it . even smashing bottles I don't get glass like that
just my random thinking

Cedar Park, TX

Check out this site. I think whoever made the $2,500 lamps used glass rocks or something similar.

http://www.recycled-rocks.com/Glass-Rocks-p/rocks2.htm

Katie - I did try letting the glue dry a little first, but the rubber band seems to work best.

Katie and Denimangle, I have you both beat, I have seven dogs!

Since the lamp is taking so long, I started doing a gazing ball yesterday. It is a big styrofoam ball. I broke a mirror and did part of it with mirror. Looks great. Not finished though. Will post a picture after I am done. Have made several now using styrofoam balls, then I grout them. They are weathering well. Those styrofoam balls are expensive! This big one I am doing was $20!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images