(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7536982

...a continuation of a thread which has been going on since
August 17, 2007, perhaps it is time for a new thread. We've come
from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/761052/

Won't you join us? The current topic is sources for blue glass bottles.

:-) Karen Marie

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 7, 2010
2:45 AM

Post #7537139

Come to Mexico and go to a dump. I've found lots of blue glass here. For some reason, there's often a lot of blue bottles tossed at Christmas. I was not able to get to the dump this Christmas season due to a dog bite (from a neighbor's dog, not one of my five) so I don't know how things are this years. I have a huge collection gathered over the years. I collect whole bottles and also broken pieces, which I tumble.

come on down!!

katie
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
3:34 AM

Post #7537269

Cookies? Cookies? I don' see no stiniking cookies!!!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 7, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7537280

You have to fight the dogs for them.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7537307

Ha ha ha, Pigeon! I completely forgot! LOL!

Thumbnail by WUVIE

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7537556

Yummmmm...tasty! Thanks!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7537858

I'm only here for the cookies...

Oh, and you can ask at bars & restaurants for blue bottles. They should have a couple a week just from that gin or vodka that comes in the cobalt blue bottle. A friend even got a yellow bottle from one, but it didn't melt down very nicely...
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

February 7, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7538271

I admit to paying the price to get a blue bottle (of water), as well as a red one. I haven't done anything w/ them - much less opening them. THAT was when I knew I had gone over the edge.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 7, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7538532

Sorry I missed all the questions. I compete in dog agility and was at a dog agility trial yesterday.
My blue bottles were Reisling bottles. There is a "24/7" brand that is popular here in Austin. Cheap too, about $9.00/bottle. It is too sweet for me, so I ask friends to save it for me.
Yes, I am gluing the glass I tumbled right onto the glass from a picture frame. I have been getting the frames, usually with pictures in them, at garage sales/Goodwill. If any of you decide to do this, let me know. I have lots of hints about which frames to look for! Little things I have learned that have really slowed me down.
I used "3 in 1" glue I got at Hobby Lobby with blue recently. It left little bubbles showing through the glass. It looks pretty, actually. But it isn't what I want. Right now I am making another amber tumbled glass frame and I'm using E6000. This glue really sticks! But it also really STINKS. I have had to move out to the garage because it stinks the house up.
I'm so excited all of you have responded.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7539456

OH, Yes! Please post your tips, tricks and hints on what kinds of frames to look for! This looks so pretty and do-able even for me :-) I know that I will need all of the help that I can get...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7539484

Windrose, if you could create a new thread for your framed tumbled-glass project with a photo and all your suggestions & tips, I'm sure a lot of folks would find it really useful!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2010
10:17 PM

Post #7539489

Good idea!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 7, 2010
10:33 PM

Post #7539536

Well, you'll have to explain to me how to do that! I didn't see anything about starting a new thread. I want to get you guys going with tumbled glass again so we can discuss projects. JuneyBug, want me to ship you some tumbled glass??
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7539625

How to start a new thread:
Go to the main Trash to Treasure screen. Scroll down to the very bottom. You'll see "Starting a New Topic". Enter the title of your new thread in the "Subject" box, and then fill in the "your message" box just like you're used to doing. Add a photo, and then click the button to Preview, check that it looks like you want it to, then click Send. It will show up in the main Trash to Treasure screen as a new item. After that it works the same as what you've been doing here.

Can't wait to see what you have to share with us!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7539656

Thanks Karen for the fresh thread & the cookies ...

Katiebear .. That offer is really tempting blue bottles & warmer weather

Juneybug.. here in Texas the TABC wont let them save you bottles i have tried that one too :(

Windrose .. Dont breath :)
Thanks for the info Please post any pointers we love detailes .. Please come back here and post the link to the new Thread so everyone can follow you .
dog agility what kind of dog are you running/ I have Aussies
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
12:33 AM

Post #7539828

here in Texas the TABC wont let them save you bottles i have tried that one too :(

Really?? last week I was at a nice restrauant and asked if they had any in the trash.. I left with a sack full of blue and dark green ones that I added to my bottle tree..Maybe they didnt know it wasnt allowed
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
2:03 AM

Post #7540118

I will post a new thread on the tumbled glass window frames, but here is a picture of the amber one I just finished a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by windrose

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
2:31 AM

Post #7540182

I really LIKE these!
Sissy9
Madison, CT

February 8, 2010
3:39 AM

Post #7540359

Thanks for the how-to on starting a new thread. I just started one on using a wood stove as a kiln.

I want to use the small pieces of glass that I've tumbled into artwork.

Hope someone has an answer for me.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7541405

imapigeon, what I like about these tumbled glass picture frames is I don't have to grout them! They are so easy to make too.

I finished another amber one last night, using E6000. The E6000 also made bubbles. Seems like the first one I made I used Crafter's Pick, a water-based glue. I didn't get bubbles with that.

I am starting another one today (my first actual order!) using olive colored glass from assorted wine bottles. Toad Hollow wine has a great light olive green bottle. I'm going back to the Crafter's Pick glue. Will let y'all know if I get bubbles with it. I am going to wait until I see the results of this glue before I start the new thread, as I would hate to give bad advice out there on the glue.

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7541413

This is not tumbled glass, but here is a table I did awhile back for my bedroom. The table is a garage sale find that I painted. I broke up two panes of stained glass and did the top of the table mosaic with them. The square tiles are from Hobby Lobby and they were my big cost at $5.99 per bag. I had to use two bags. You can see what I glued on the legs and stuff. Didn't it turn out well?

Thumbnail by windrose

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7541708

Love the color combination, and the detail work on the legs---VERY cute!!! And I'll bet it's practical, too.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7541911

I want to make myself a lamp to put on the table using tumbled glass. I am going to try and find a lamp kit today. I have been saving all my big chunky pieces of green glass. I saw this incredible lamp for sale at:

http://www.swanklighting.com/files/images/gallery/DSC-0029

It looks more like tumbled rocks, but I think I can modify it to look good. Anyway, who has $1,000 or more for a lamp?!

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 8, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7541969

That llink doesn't work for me.

katie
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7541971

Actually try this:

http://www.swanklighting.com/files/images/gallery/DSC_0029_1.JPG

And, my mistake, the lamp is $2,500.00!

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7541990

Katiebear, if that doesn't work, just go to http://www.swanklighting.com and then go down to the "rock candy" lamp down on the left. Click it and then you can see the lamps made with some sort of tumbled glass rock.

I bought a couple of those green vases you get flowers in at Goodwill. They have a rough blubbly sort of texture to them. I tumbled them and I think they might work.

I've seen the tumbled glass rock for sale on some recycled glass sites.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7542137

Those lamps are nifty!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7542312

Katie - http://www.swanklighting.com/lamps/rock-candy
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7542357

WOW... Thats a chunk of cash for T2T ... how come none of us T2T divas arnt making that kind of money ...
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7542494

I know! Couldn't believe it when I saw the price. That is why I am making my own.

I am sort of thinking that with that much glass, I might need something more like liquid nails to hold ithe layers of glass in place. Any suggestions on the best glue for something similar to all that glass on the lamp?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #7542623

OMG! The white pair was &3K and the green was $3600! We need to re-think TtoT and quit selling at the flea market and start looking at the high-end stores! (And I need to get moving on actually starting & finishing some of these ideas that I have...)
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 8, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7542742

After looking at lamp kits, I lost my nerve and ended up buying a little glass & brass lamp at Goodwill for $4.00. I wish I was like Wuvie and knew how to do everything (!), but I am severely limited in skills. The kit seemed complicated...

I cleaned the lamp up and placed some tumbled glass pieces on it to see how it will look. It isn't going to look like the high end one, but I want to use stuff I tumbled. It won't look so rock candy, which I love, but I don't have those rocks. I am taking pictures as I go.

I think someone else should do one too!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 8, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7542908

Those are beautiful. And I agree, some of us should be making them and getting rich.

I think of the glass is tumbled very briefly, the sharpest edges will be smoothed but the "rock" look will remain.

I think getting Goodwill or garage sale lamps and "converting them is a great idea. Wiring a lamp is not difficult. Find someone who knows how and have them show you if the instructions with the kit seem to complicated. Sometimes the people who write instructions don't seem to have the goal of helping the person trying to follow them.

katie who is sitting on a fortune in broken glass AKA potential rock candy lamps.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
12:21 AM

Post #7543029

Oh, my gosh, Windrose, I don't know diddly. LOL.

You can do any of the things we post, absolutely.

Are you going to paint the lamp before application of the pieces? The
only reason I ask is because sometimes the adhesive you use will chemically
react to the paint. This may or may not be a result you will like.

Just a mention, as I've had something happen that was a good thing, but
quite an accident. :-) KM
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7543480

Katie. I want to see one in Blue :)
Windrose can't wait for pictures .. have to go to town tomorrow will have to stop at GW to see what kind of lamps & frames they have .
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 9, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7544559

Wuvie! I was waiting for you to come back to the thread. Trust me, I have read the entire thread since 2007, so I know you know how to do everything!
The lamp is clear, so I won't need to paint it. I am going to start work on it today.

denimangle, they have those lamps in blue on their web site. Really the blue is my favorite. Also, I am running a toy American Eskimo Dog.

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 11, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7550999

I've been working on my lamp. This is harder than I thought it would be. The lamp base is clear class. It is round of course. The pieces just tend to slide around after I stick them on. So I was having to stand around and wait for them to dry as I pressed on them. Finally, I thought about putting a small rubber band around the piece and lamp base as it dried, to hold it in place. This has worked. But, I have to wait awhile for each piece to dry. But still, not $2,500 worth!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 11, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7551289

Maybe you could let the glue dry a bit and then put the glass on.

I have a lamp with a clear base that can be filled. It has blue glass pieces in it. Maybe I can glue some more on the outside.. First, I have to vacumn. I can't believe how much sand five dogs can bring in. Good thing they don't know how to use pails.

katie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7551792

I was looking at the lamp pictures again this morning . I really think they are cool ...but I dont think the glass was tumbled its to clear I think maybe they might have fired in a kiln just to get the sharp edged off .
also the chunks are so thick almost like they melted a big slab of glass and then smashed it . even smashing bottles I don't get glass like that
just my random thinking
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 12, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7554112

Check out this site. I think whoever made the $2,500 lamps used glass rocks or something similar.

http://www.recycled-rocks.com/Glass-Rocks-p/rocks2.htm

Katie - I did try letting the glue dry a little first, but the rubber band seems to work best.

Katie and Denimangle, I have you both beat, I have seven dogs!

Since the lamp is taking so long, I started doing a gazing ball yesterday. It is a big styrofoam ball. I broke a mirror and did part of it with mirror. Looks great. Not finished though. Will post a picture after I am done. Have made several now using styrofoam balls, then I grout them. They are weathering well. Those styrofoam balls are expensive! This big one I am doing was $20!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7554145

windrose, love your glass work. What do you use for glue on the styrofoam? And what did you use on the glass?
Thanks Faye
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2010
9:04 PM

Post #7554249

I've done 2 garden balls, both using papercrete spheres I made using a hemisphere mold from eBay. This one (the 2nd) is my favorite. I made it using mirror and broken pieces of the (defective) tiles and pots I make. I have another mold that's larger than this one, and I really want to make another ball---maybe this summer...

Thumbnail by imapigeon

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7555889

Windrose I I have a kennel ...I raise Aussies toys,Minis & Standards I have 35 dogs ...lol
yes the glass rocks look like what they could be useing

imapigeon I love the garden balls
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 13, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7556245

Dahtzu - I am using "3 in 1" on the styrofoam balls. It seems to work the best. I get it at Hobby Lobby.

Everyone - Is Hobby Lobby everywhere, or just down south?

Also, does anyone know a cheaper place to get the styrofoam balls than hobby stores? $20 really jacks up the price i have to charge to sell them. I've found two large ones at garage sales, but too cold for garage sales right now.

My lamp is about 1/2 done. It doesn't look like rocks on the lamp we all saw, of course. But, I think you are all going to like it.

Imapigeon - Did you cut those pieces to get them so square? I love that ball. I love the colors. Personally, I think being able to make colors work is really important. Not everyone can do that.
The grout work is great. I suck at grout. Did the grout scratch the mirror pieces? I have been a little worried about that.

denimangle - Are you doing any agility? You probably can't travel though! haha.

I think those glass rocks had the edges broken off to get that look, don't you. I just wonder how they glued those on, because they are probably pretty heavy.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 13, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7556279

I've seen smaller balls at thrift shops. If you go to bowling balls you can often get them cheap or free. Or get a mold and make papercrete balls.

k.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7556407

windrose: Thanks for the compliments! Some of the squares were cut tiles that I made, and some of the mirror pieces were cut (bought on eBay), but most I either cut or smashed myself. Some of the blue squares were nipped from leftover "strip" tiles I made for my first tiling project (http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/i/51812/). I got some expensive tile-cutters, and then wore out one side of the cutting blade on this ball!

I was worried about the grout scratching the mirror pieces, too, but since the joints were small I was able to use unsanded grout. It didn't scratch at all. I found my favorite tool for grouting was this silicone kitchen scraper:
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-America-Silicone-Scraper-Spatula/dp/B001UHNMGQ/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I spread the grout with the spatula, and it was easy to mush it into the joints with the flexible edges. I let it dry for a few minutes (maybe 15?) then sponged it off with a nearly-dry sponge, and then dried it with a towel. After it dried overnight, I went after it with an old electric toothbrush to get any excess left on the surface. In a few uneven places I had to pick & scrape at it a bit to pull the grout back to the joint, but it was pretty easy to do as long as I got to it within about 8 hours. I grouted it in 2 or 3 sections so I was only working on part of it at one time.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7556664

I have been thinking about getting some agility equipment for here just to mess around with . My Vet wants to get something started with kids in our area.
no we dont travel much right now with Dogs,cats goats,cows & chickens... its really hard to find good help.
sorry didn't mean to jack the thread
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 14, 2010
2:21 AM

Post #7557369

I got some glue at Home Depot: Loctite,stik'n Seal Ooriginal,it's semi-flexible
and dries Clear,it also comes in "Ultra" for "extreme conditions"
Have not tried it yet but,it's good for bonding glass to glass..
I "melt" (not to liquid) wine bottles in a good hot bed of coals and feed the fire from th top. The glass won't go liquid but will sag,at that point it is soft enough to fold
with a fire poker and fuse togather,after it has cooled a sharp smack with whatever you use will make it into "rock's" or "chunk's"
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7557551

townsedan, how do you deal with the sharp edges after you smack the bottles
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7558566

Ima, way cool on the planters! Are the strips of blue from bottles, or
from sheets of stained glass.

Very neat!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7558626

Neither---they're all ceramic tiles I made from scratch (well, clay actually...LOL!) My mosaic balls were done to use up some of the rejects from this project and ones I've done since.

I tried tumbling some of my broken tiles to smooth off the edges like we do with glass, but it wore the glaze off on the edges. It's a different look and I'm not sure I like it.

Unfortunately, my nice big tumbler's been sitting idle for no good reason, and I've just been collecting broken glass to put in it. Time to get it rolling again!!!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7558681

Heading for Harbor Freight tomorrow, I may (just may) pick up a tumbler.
My little Rolling Stones tumblers are out of commission and I've been
slacking. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder!
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 15, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7559746

denimangle wrote:townsedan, how do you deal with the sharp edges after you smack the bottles

I break it into pieces small enough to fit into one of my tumbler's and "roll" them for 24 hour's in a mix of pea gravel,sand and BB's. You would have to try really
hard to cut yourself with a piece of it,no sharp edges or "pokey point's"
I like my glass thick & "chunky" ie(rock's)
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 16, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7564071

Sorry I have missed all this! My grand daughters were here and I haven't been able get on the computer, they hog it.

Questions, questions!

Imapigeon - Love that planter! Are those tiles glued to cinder blocks, or some mold, or just planted in the ground? Did you make the planter first and then put it in place, or did you do it right there? Obviously I want to make one! haha. Also, ordered the spatula. They had two for sale for $5.95 on Amazon.

Townsedan - Are you fixin to try out that glue? I need a glue that doesn't bubble where it doesn't attach. For instance, if I am gluing a piece of tumbled glass to flat glass and the tumbled glass doesn't touch the flat, the glue will bubble as it dries. I've tried just about all the glues out there at this point.
Also, I guess those coals are in an oven? What about one of those firepits you can buy at Lowe's you put on your patio. Could I put charcoal in one of those and melt the bottle?
Any way you could post a picture of that glass after you melted it and broke it up?
Does the pea gravel give a different frost to glass after you tumble it, as opposed to just sand? Not necessarily that thick glass, but just normal bottle glass.

Everyone - finished my lamp! I am gluing some little green beads on the lamp shade that came with it. Soon as I get that done will take a picture. Not exactly like the rock candy lamp, but it is cool.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7564088

townsedan, but doesn't that give your glass a frosted look?

Windrose can't wait to see it ...
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7565905

This is the problem with DG...you see one thing and then someone else suggests something else, and then you get more ideas---it's very dangerous. I hope you love that spatula as much as I did, Windrose!

The planter was formed and poured in place by my DH using concrete---he formed it with flat boards for the straight parts, and cut cardboard cylinder molds from Home Depot for the curved parts. I just mortared the tiles to the surface after most of the really hard work was done...LOL!

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7566469

Imapigeon - wow, wish I had a husband like that!

Well, here are my lamp creation pictures.

This picture shows the little lamp I bought for the base. I have put on the first piece of tumbled glass. Notice my rubber band method. haha.

Thumbnail by windrose

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7566477

Here is the finished lamp.

Thumbnail by windrose

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7566487

Close up of the tumbled glass. I used different colors for a more 3-D effect, since I didn't have those big chunks. I think if I had put another layer of glass on, it would be more like the rock candy lamps. But this lamp is really little and that would overwhelm it, I think.

Thumbnail by windrose

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7566829

I think it's perfect with the table! Turned out really nice!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7566866

So, is anyone working on anything right now?

Wuvie, did you get a new tumbler?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7566875

WOW Windrose thats looks Great you did a really good job on the lamp did you do the table also?
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7566940

LOL Windrose, well, while we did go to HF, I'm afraid my attention was on
other things, and quite frankly, I truly forgot. I found a set of clamps I couldn't
live without, then became distracted entertaining my father's whims.

Not a good day to buy a tumbler. Sigh. Perhaps another time. :-(
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7567162

Karen wait for the next sale ...LOL
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7567223

Thanks, denimagle. I did do the table. It was actually the easiest thing I have done so far.
I have several pieces out in the garage I need to get started on, a baby rocking chair and two tables. I have to prime them. Need to open the garage for that, and it has been too chilly. I am going to start on one in a couple of hours. Today is a great day here in central Texas. Up to about 62 degrees. Awesome. Back down to freezing tonight tho.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7567490

Love the lamp and table! What a great way to make our own seriously expensive lamps for pennies!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 17, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7567650

Check these out:

http://www.secondtimearoundmosaics.com/mostglgade.html

She glued the stained glass onto pvc pipe. So neat. I may have to make one of these. Imapigeon, you could do this easy, since you know how to cut glass. I haven't cut glass yet. But, I am thinking it would make a great base for a gazing ball or bird bath.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
11:16 PM

Post #7567689

Cool Did you look around at her other stuff great ideas!!!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
1:00 AM

Post #7567969

Those pillars ARE cool----of course I'd want to light them up from inside, which would mean PVC wouldn't work for a base...LOL!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
3:24 AM

Post #7568304

imapigeon, Just drill a few holes in the pipe before adding glass make sure the glass in over the holes and not the grout. should lightup
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7568477

that's a great idea!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 18, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7569228

So many ideas, so little time!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 18, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7569626

denimangle - I also really liked her stuff she did with all the mosaics. I am going to try and do a pink small child rocking chair in mosaics.

Question to everyone - If you do a mosaic birdbath, I guess if you just use regular bathroom grout it will hold up with water in the bowl. Have anyone ever done anything with grout that had standing water, like a birdbath?Do you need to do something special. I know to seal it, but is that enough?

Also, those stained glass pvc pipes, wouldn't they make great fountains?
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7569821

Oh, yeah---maybe 3 different lengths...COOL idea!

The only mosaic birdbath I have was done by someone else, and not done right--so I'll defer to the experts here or on the mosaic forum.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7569914

windrose im no help on this one either...
too had my one good idea for the year ...lol I can go brain dead again ...and just hangout :)
What are y'all thinking on the Glue for the PVC/Glass pipes
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
10:24 PM

Post #7570185

Alright, that's it. Stop posting those tempting links!
Isn't there a rule against this sort of stuff? ;-)

Just kidding. Okay, now that is just too cool! Thanks for sharing!
nana7
Llano, TX

February 19, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7570856

Hey girls ! Windrose I live just west of you in Llano.
Very sad about the airplane this morn.
You can use bathroom grout out side I did it Have not had trouble except somthing nocking over.
This is not the only one I have done .

Thumbnail by nana7

nana7
Llano, TX

February 19, 2010
4:26 AM

Post #7570862

here is another one !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/mosaic/birthbath003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/mosaic/ttaylanbirthdaybirdbath049.jpg
If you want to look at the rest here is a link
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/mosaic/

This message was edited Feb 18, 2010 10:33 PM

Thumbnail by nana7

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 19, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7572319

Nana, that was awesome seeing all your creations. My favorites were the blue cross and the purple cross. The colors are so vivid. They would also look really good as mirror frames. Are those tiles from a sheet you cut up?

I also liked that terra cotta birth bath. I guess the grout gave it that color? Are you just covering old birth baths? They are so cute. I really like all the cute things you have on them. One of them looked like you painted the inside of the bowl blue, after you did the mosaics. Am I right?

Another question, on that wall hanging (maybe it is a planter) that is white, did you cut out the roses you have on it? I was wondering where you got those roses from, like a dish or cup maybe.

Llano is not that far. I have been canoeing down the river there. Is that deer horn structure still in the middle of town? Yeah, that airplane was down the road from me about five miles.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7572355

What windrose said .. Great stuff :)
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 20, 2010
12:54 AM

Post #7572829

denimangle wrote:townsedan, but doesn't that give your glass a frosted look?

Windrose can't wait to see it ...

Yes the sand dose "frost" the glass but,I kind of like that look. I am going to try making a stained glass "Picature frame" window with (no sand ) tumbled glass.
I have about 100 lbs. of tumbled glass and need to do something "project wise"
with it .. I am also going to try my hand at making a table top for "outside" on a tree stump. Good luck with whatever you are doing and keep on "tumbling"
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 20, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7572835

Imapigeon - I am thinking about doing a Quickwall with the AR fibertape on an exercise ball. What I am thinking is somehow working in the small shards of glass I have left over, into the quickwall on the outside of the ball. Do you think I could do that?
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 20, 2010

Post #7572847

townsedan - did you see my tumbled glass picture windows I posted? You can see one I posted on Feb. 7th. Is that what you are going to do?

Also, do the pebbles frost different than the sand?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7572893

windrose wrote:I will post a new thread on the tumbled glass window frames, but here is a picture of the amber one I just finished a couple of days ago.

windrose Did I miss it ? Have you started a new thread ?
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 20, 2010
1:20 AM

Post #7572908

windrose wrote:Sorry I have missed all this! My grand daughters were here and I haven't been able get on the computer, they hog it.

Questions, questions!

Imapigeon - Love that planter! Are those tiles glued to cinder blocks, or some mold, or just planted in the ground? Did you make the planter first and then put it in place, or did you do it right there? Obviously I want to make one! haha. Also, ordered the spatula. They had two for sale for $5.95 on Amazon.

Townsedan - Are you fixin to try out that glue? I need a glue that doesn't bubble where it doesn't attach. For instance, if I am gluing a piece of tumbled glass to flat glass and the tumbled glass doesn't touch the flat, the glue will bubble as it dries. I've tried just about all the glues out there at this point.
Also, I guess those coals are in an oven? What about one of those firepits you can buy at Lowe's you put on your patio. Could I put charcoal in one of those and melt the bottle?
Any way you could post a picture of that glass after you melted it and broke it up?
Does the pea gravel give a different frost to glass after you tumble it, as opposed to just sand? Not necessarily that thick glass, but just normal bottle glass.

Everyone - finished my lamp! I am gluing some little green beads on the lamp shade that came with it. Soon as I get that done will take a picture. Not exactly like the rock candy lamp, but it is cool.

I am going to check out the thrift stores in my area this weekend (2-20,21) for picature frames and try out the "glue".. I don't use just sand but,the sand dose take the "cut you" sharp edges off of the glass as well dose the pea gravel.
I will post a couple of pix this weekend of glass I have tumbled in "differant" ways.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 20, 2010
1:53 AM

Post #7572969

denimangle - No. I don't want to post until I find the perfect glue! Still having that bubble issue.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7573056

Windrose, I know there's a very nice thread on the Concrete & Hypertufa forum about making balls using an exercise ball as the base. Have you seen it? If not, I'll see if I can find and link it. If you haven't wandered around over in that forum, it's a great resource with tons of ideas & helpful folks.

Since I've only done mine going INTO a mold, my process was different. I've seen pix of really cool concrete pieces made by using glass as part or all of the aggregate (sand or gravel) in the mix, and then after curing they were polished and waxed. Quite fabulous!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 20, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7574180

imapigeon - yes, I have been reading the hypertufa thread. My chiminea stack broke off a couple of years ago and I made a planter out of it. It ended up looking pretty similar to the planter balls everyone has made. I think adding all that sparkling glass would look great.
I am off to Lowes to get quickwall, etc. for the ball, but also some 4" pvc pipe to make one of those columns! I am going to try and make one with tumbled glass instead of the stained glass. I want to use free glass! haha.

Besides LAcrafts, do you know anywhere else that sells styrofoam balls cheap? I need 10" balls and they only carry up to 6". They are SO much cheaper tho.

townesdan - can't wait to see your pictures. Are the coals you use to melt the bottles in an oven?

Everyone - Last night I was perusing "tumbled glass art" on google and came across the name of the person that makes the rock candy lamps. Not only that, he lives in Austin! If Swank Lighting is here, I will get to see those lamps in person. How cool is that!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7574645

OH How Fun... track the guy down ... Make him tell you everything... tell him how much we love his stuff... take pictures .. Stay with it till he tells ...:)
OH Wait that kind of sounds like stalking ...ROTFL
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 20, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7575029

windrose wrote:townsedan - did you see my tumbled glass picture windows I posted? You can see one I posted on Feb. 7th. Is that what you are going to do?

Also, do the pebbles frost different than the sand?

Yes that is what i'm going to "attempt" to do.., the pea gravel will take the "sharp" off of the glass but,will not frost it like sand will. What do you tumble with?? I really like your picature frame stained glass windows. I like the idea of going "green" and recycling.Tumbling glass and making thing's out of it is such a cool hobby and the end result of not much expense or labor is very
self-rewarding. Go onto Ebay,enter tumbled glass and have a look,if you have'nt already done so... Have fun with glass but remember if you play with glass youre going to get cut...
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 21, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7575844

townsedan wrote:

I am going to check out the thrift stores in my area this weekend (2-20,21) for picature frames and try out the "glue".. I don't use just sand but,the sand dose take the "cut you" sharp edges off of the glass as well dose the pea gravel.
I will post a couple of pix this weekend of glass I have tumbled in "differant" ways.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7576626

Windrose I googled tumbled glass this morning and there you were . or your windows any way .. i think your selling Way to cheap...
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 21, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7577273

townsedan wrote:

Yes I 'm pretty sure a patio type fire pit will work for melting glass,also a woob burning stove would work. I tumbled normal bottle glass with just pea gravel and it worked good to take the cutya edges and points off but dit not frost the glass.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7577425

That's good to know---thanks for posting!
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 22, 2010
3:10 AM

Post #7578026

imapigeon wrote:That's good to know---thanks for posting!

I fired up my patio fire pit and it did what I wanted but,not as fast as the chimenia.The firepit is not as hot but,it will do the job. It would help if you have a "Bellows" or an air compressor so you can keep the fire HOT!!
Could'nt post any pix as the camera has the flue or smallpox today.
There is a not so good picature of some of my melted thick glass on the first "page"of this site.. If you play with glass, you will git cut...
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 22, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7579209

I lost the little black screw-on-top to one of my tumblers! It is what lays on the edge of the tumbler to spin. I consider this an emergency at this point. I had to go back and use my tumbler from the hobby store that sounds like it is tumbling boulders.
Anyone know if I can get a replacement at that Harbor Freight (HF) place? It is a Chicago dual tumbler. There is a HF about 25 miles from me.

Townsedan - thanks for the info on the firepit and also the pebbles.

denimangle - well, maybe I am pricing them cheap. I just want to sell some. I got about 20 responses from that Craigs List posting and every single one of them was wanting me to do something, like use their service to sell stuff. So annoying. I was thinking about etsy, but worried about mailing all that glass.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7579543

Speaking of Etsy, I thought about trying it, but it seems the site was already
flooded with similar items I wanted to sell. Certainly I don't expect to get rich,
but would like to sell enough ware to keep up the hobbies I have. LOL.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7579614

windrose .. have you tried sitting on the side of the road :) thats the trouble with the internet I pay a service to run ads for my pups and still get that kind of thing people wanting to do or sell all kinds of things.
HF should beable to send you the end I would call them

Im with you Karen Way to much recycled/upcycled glass on Esty. I don't know how anyone makes a $$
my neice sells her recycled skateboard jewerly on there tho
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 24, 2010
12:07 AM

Post #7582660

windrose wrote:I will post a new thread on the tumbled glass window frames, but here is a picture of the amber one I just finished a couple of days ago.

Hey Windrose:
What do you use a "glue" for youe stained glass window"s.. I posted that I bought some 'Locktight" CLEAR epoxy (glue) it is as clear as water but,it did leave bubbles on the picature frame glass so'not real happy with the end results. Got a cure for this . The pix of your "amber window" dose not show any bubbles.. Keep on Tumbling
Townsedan
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 24, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7584119

I am using E6000. Seems to be the best. Stinks though.
I am currently working on an olive green colored one someone ordered. So many wine bottles are that color, so that is great.
TIP: I have learned to put the glue on the tumbled glass just where it is going to touch the picture frame glass, and not smear it all over each piece. That will really help you with the bubbling. Sometimes that is only two corners on the tumbled piece, if the piece is really curved.
Don't hesitate to layer the tumbled pieces, that way you can use the curved pieces, and it gives another color to the collage.
But so far, the E6000 is the best. Bummer that Locktight didn't work.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 25, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7586672

imapigeon - got my little scrapper thing yesterday in the mail. I finished a gazing ball last week that I need to grout. I wanted to wait until I received the scrapper, so today I will grout the ball. Will let you know how it goes. I have some of those little half ball glass things on it, so the grouting will be difficult. (This was my mirror/tumbled glass project.) I want to post it because half of the ball has tumbled glass on it instead of tiles. Another use for your tumbled glass.
Also, today I am going to start on my "Quickwall" ball. As I mentioned, I'm going to try and incorporate some of the glass I have into the final layer for sparkely effects and geode type thing. I'm excited.

Townsedan - I still haven't posted a thread on the frames because of that stinking bubbling issue. If I can find a glue that doesn't bubble, I will post the how to. But until then, I don't think I should. Let me know if you have any luck. I bought some Goop glue and I am going to try that on the next window.
Just fnished my first "order". It was for an olive green one. I will take a picture today and post it this evening.

I've found that if you tumble exact colored wine bottles as follows, you will get some great results. One bottle is tumbled with just dish washing detergent and one bottle is tumbled with sand. So one bottle will come out whatever color the wine bottle was, and one will come out frosted. They really play off each other in the light.

I think I have come up with a name for the frames, how about recycled tumbled glass window collages?
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7587216

Anxious to hear how grouting goes, windrose!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7588012

windrose ,
thanks for the info about the dish washing detergent are we talking dishwasher powder? how long did you tumble for it not to frost
cant wait to see
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 26, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7589136

I use Dawn that you would use to actually hand wash your dishes. Remember those days? haha. It is a lubricant and it soaps up, but has never suds out of the container. It helps keep the glass from getting scratched. I know about it back from someone mentioning it in 2008 or so on this thread.
I think I tumbled the last batch of dish washing soap glass for four hours for a frame collage.
If you need it really smooth, like for the lamp, since someone would be touching the glass alot, I would tumble for 24 hours.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

February 26, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7589281

Imapigeon - I finally got to grout the gazing ball. Just did half of it. Can not believe how much easier it was with that little trowel thing. Plus, it just wipes off. The mirror would have really been hard to grout without this, as it has sharp edges. So glad I got it, as I have several more grouting projects pending. Also, I can use it to spread the Quickwall.

Funny story - went to see Avatar w/my sisters last weekend. Couldn't eat the popcorn because of all the little cuts in my fingers from breaking glass! The salt really burned. Townseden is right, you will "git cut".
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7589349

YAY---glad you found it the tool helpful! I imagine it would be nice in the kitchen, too, since that's what they designed it for..LOL!
I know what you mean about the cuts, too...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7589424

ok I must have missed something... what tool ??? picture please need to get all this together before starting way to far to just run up to the store:)

I still do dishes by hand ...lol just the 2 of us here it takes days to fill the dishwasher.
one more dish soap question do you use stright soap or mix with water?
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7589709

It's a silicone kitchen spatula that I bought to use as a pottery tool, and found really useful for grouting my mosaic ball.
Here's the Amazon link to it:
http://www.amazon.com/iSi-America-Silicone-Scraper-Spatula/dp/B001UHNMGQ/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7590236

Cool it kind of looks like a frosting spreader I have in the junk draw.
seaglassgraphic
Turners Falls, MA

February 27, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7592753

hello- I saw all your great posts on tumbling and glass and wondered if I might ask for some advice?

I want to make dishes that look like seaglass. Could a tumbler (if there was a big enough one) do this or would the dishes break? Or any other ideas of how I could get a seaglass texture onto a plate size piece of glass?

(They would be to eat off of- so could't be sprayed with frost spray.)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jen
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2010
10:26 PM

Post #7592793

I think if I were doing this I would sandblast the outside of the dishes. I would want to keep the insides slick so they'll be easier to wash. I'm pretty sure a tumbler would break glass dishes, and you'd have a hard time finding one big enough to get them inside. The only stuff I've sandblasted was not glass, but I've read about artists who use this technique.
Another option might be to use an etching compound.

http://www.wikihow.com/Etch-Glass-by-Sandblasting
http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/glasssandblasting.html
townsedan
Pocatello, ID

February 27, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7592968

windrose wrote:I lost the little black screw-on-top to one of my tumblers! It is what lays on the edge of the tumbler to spin. I consider this an emergency at this point. I had to go back and use my tumbler from the hobby store that sounds like it is tumbling boulders.
Anyone know if I can get a replacement at that Harbor Freight (HF) place? It is a Chicago dual tumbler. There is a HF about 25 miles from me.

Townsedan - thanks for the info on the firepit and also the pebbles.

denimangle - well, maybe I am pricing them cheap. I just want to sell some. I got about 20 responses from that Craigs List posting and every single one of them was wanting me to do something, like use their service to sell stuff. So annoying. I was thinking about etsy, but worried about mailing all that glass.

Do you have a ACE Hardware store or a Radio Shack in your area?? Should be able to find what you need there..
G L Townsedan
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2010
12:59 AM

Post #7593147

I I totaly agree with What imapigeon said sand blast the backs of the plates
if you etch them you could do eirther side or both ..
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2010

Post #7593150

You can probably get a wing nut the right size--just take the lid along to your closest full-service hardware store, and see if they can find something to fit.
seaglassgraphic
Turners Falls, MA

February 28, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7594299

Thanks for the ideas. Have no idea how to find a sandblaster but I'll look into it and the etching compound. Thanks for your help and ideas!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 1, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7596711

denimangle - on that spatula/trowel I got that imapigeon recommended, I was surprised when I got it, it is very rigid with just a small edge that bends like the silicon stuff you buy to bake in. Since you mentioned a kitchen spatula, I wanted to let you know that it is not flexible, more like a regular trowel. Wouldn't you agree, imapigeon? Besides making it much easier to spread the grout, it is so easy to clean I still am amazed each time I use it.

In answer to your question, I fill the barrel about 1/3-1/2 way up with water (more water if there is more glass in the tumbler), and then just drip some detergent into the water. Just enough to lubricate the glass.

I am heading to ace and radio shack today! I was also thinking about a nut, but wasn't sure it wouldn't dig into the metal it rotates on.

seaglassgraphic - I have never etched anything, but I have seen the etching kits at all the big hobby stores. It seems like it would be pretty easy, you get a kit and spread the etching compound on the dishes and then wipe it off. I am positive some of the others on here have etched before! Is it as easy as it looks? Your dishes would definitely crack or break in a tumbler.
If you have a moral dilema about etching, due to selling "tumbled" glass, I am wondering if you couldn't put some water and sand in some kind of container and just shake it every time a commercial comes on TV. I bet you could do a plate a day.

townesdan - I am going to try the Goop glue today. Will advise if it also bubbles.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2010
4:27 PM

Post #7596941

windrose, I agree about the easy cleanup, and yes, it is more like a trowel but with the flexible edges it's really easy to push the grout into narrow joints. And a lot easier than using my fingers!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7597026

thanks windrose got it .. My frosting spreader is stiff so it wont work either .. no little flap :) another tool to add to my list ...hahaha
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 2, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7599543

I am going to try and post a picture. My husband said it will be too big, but let's see. This is the olive green window collage I just finished for someone.

Thumbnail by windrose

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 2, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7599561

I used "3 in 1" glue on this blue one and got all kinds of glue background in it. Everyone really likes the look, but of course I hate it!

Thumbnail by windrose

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 2, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7599572

Okay, last one! haha. I used some yellow stained glass in this one. The rest of it is beer bottles.

Thumbnail by windrose

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2010
4:05 PM

Post #7599603

Those are great---and I agree with everyone else on the blue one---I love the texture!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 2, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #7599765

The glue on the blue one actually sparkles in the sunlight. I am not sure a glue exists that isn't going to show up somewhat on these.

I want to try one that layers dark green to light green on the bottom and dark blue to light blue on the top. The middle of the collage would be the light layers, so you could see the sun through the middle really well.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7601337

All I can say is WOW ...I really love these
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7601361

Me too!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7602085

Very neat! Don't you just love using recycled glass? I sometimes tease
hubby that I am going to open a recycling center right at our house. LOL.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7602688

I think I've already done that...
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 3, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7602917

I'm with you. My poor garage has empty bottles just stacked everywhere and three tumblers running 24 hours a day. How did this happen?!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2010
1:26 AM

Post #7603599

OH Yeah Me Too ... People drop Beer bottles off at my Gate .. Wish I knew some Wineos lol
Guess I am a recycle center :p
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #7603617

If I could get them to drop off ONLY BLUE bottles...LOL!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #7603673

imapigeon wrote:If I could get them to drop off ONLY BLUE bottles...LOL!

The BLUE Bottle ... Just why don't they make more Blue bottles ...hahahaha!!!

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2010
2:05 AM

Post #7603707

Really, and I'm not picky----I don't care what color blue, either! Dark blue, light blue, turquoise, aqua...not picky at all!
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 4, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7604277

Juneybug - Nice to hear from you again! I was worried you were sick.

I saw a red bottled-water bottle (??) in the store yesterday. I stood there turning the bottle upside down and back, trying to figure out if it is actually red glass or just sprayed. I decided it was sprayed. I know everyone was wondering what I was doing. Red is also just impossible to find.

denimangle - I looked up Butler, Texas to see if you are near Navasota, as I am judging a Jack Russell Terrier agility trial there this Sunday. Thought maybe we could meet, but I think you are too far north.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7604859

Windrose that would be fun... But Ill Be in FT. Collins, CO. going to see the New Grand Daughter. There are 2 Butlers Im in the one close to Fairfield, in Freestone County Navasota really isnt that far ...

I have done the same thing with bottles in the store ... people must think we are just a few french fry short of a happy meal ...lol
Maybe thats why DH sits in the truck if I need to stop ...lol
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 14, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7629007

I admit to buying a fifth of rum in a red bottle, giving it to a neighbor, with the blood oath that he will return the bottle once it is empty. The bottle is back!!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7630415

LOL Is it true red ?what are you going to use the glass for ? cant wait to see pictures
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 15, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7632284

Yes - Denimangle - (is it denim-angle or deni-mangle?) it IS a true red and I have no flipping clue what I am going to do with it - right now it sits on my kitchen window sill catching the morning sun!!!! I bought it a couple years ago when I was getting swallowed up by the concept of making sea glass. I got 3 tumblers, boxes of stained glass remnants, and then just kind of abandoned the idea for the time being. SO - the sunlight and a red bottle work fine for now.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7633057

its denim angle I got the name because I use to buy up all the old jeans at garage sales and was known as the denim lady... used them to make denim quilts so its the angles in the quilts...
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 16, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7633121

wannadanc - do you remember what brand that rum was? We drink rum from time to time, I would absolutely go buy rum in a red bottle! I have had several people ask me for window collages in red (also purple) and I just can't find glass that color.

denimangle - what kind of grandbaby did you get?

everyone - I sold another window collage! Yay. That is two. haha.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7634074

Windrose, if the red bottle to which you refer is Ty Nant, it is only a film.

:-( Karen
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7634228

Hi WindRose and all y'all, I am just too, too busy and since I moved here and I had to leave all of my tools & toys in storage, so I can only look at what you all do and plan on making it *some day*.
I keep thinking that I will ask at the hotel's bar for them to save me pretty colored bottles when I get back to the States. I seem to remember a yellow one (TALL, slender bottle) and it would make a nice contrast for the other colors that I hope to get.
I love those window collages and I think that I will make that first.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7634505

windrose wrote:
denimangle - what kind of grandbaby did you get?

everyone - I sold another window collage! Yay. That is two. haha.

We Got another Girl ... Sofia Mariana

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! 2 sales
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 16, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7634839

windrose: http://www.redrum.com/introduction.php

Now if it is a film,I was asleep at the switch. I don't want to go scratch at it and crush my own dream!!! LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7635550

Ok I sent redrum an e-mail asking about the bottle colors
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 17, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7635831

Good to hear from everyone. I've been going to the hypertufa thread and see some of you on there. I have all the stuff for the hypertufa, just can't get myself to start. I guess I am afraid to mix the stuff, basically. My plan is to cover a ball and the last layer I am going to add the little shards of glass that are always left over from smashing, for a glitter look on the ball. Today I am going to dump a big bowl of shards and tumble them. Will let you know how that turns out. Just want to get the sharp edges off, but I've never tumbled stuff this tiny.

Redrum, what a creepy name ("The Shining")! Murder in the mirror, remember?
I figured a red bottle... too good to be true. But, Wuvie thanks for the heads up, as I was headed to the liquor store today. Although I have to tell you, I have gotten doggone good at picking out the painted stuff.

denimangle - love those girls! I have two grand daughters. They are the best, they do all the sports the boys do, plus you get to dress them up and stuff. And they don't wrestle all over the house.

I finished a layered window collage. Dark green on the bottom, then a lighter green, aqua, light blue and dark blue (Skyy bottle) on the top. It really looks artistic! Will take a picture and post (if you don't mind). I seem to be the only one doing anything. Isn't anyone working on anything?

I started a new collage yesterday with a pattern. I wanted to put some orange glass half marbles inside a dark blue glass pattern. So I drew a picture on the frame backing and here I go. So far I hate it! haha. Maybe after I get it filled in more, I will like it. I am doing an amber background with some paisleys floating around. Hard to describe really. Will take a picture of that to. Will try and post tonight.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7636270

Windrose .. Glad im not the only one that thought of MURDER...LOL
Oh yes the girls are as sports minded as the boys . and a lot more fun to dressup :)
we have 5 boys & 4 girls ...
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 17, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7636646

The RedRum bottle has its name in raised letters along one side. I had removed the sticky labels, so had it not been for that raised lettering, I fear I would have been clueless.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7638564

here is the answer I got from REDRUM
Hi Cheryl - - not a strange question our glass has an organic coating, so it is recycled with clear glass, and the red will burn off. We would need to use heavy metals to achieve real red glass - - such as lead or 24k gold, and neither are an option. Thanks.

Dan DaDalt

Three-D Spirits, Inc.

12 E. Washington St.

Petaluma, CA 94952

(707) 766-7716

http://www.redrum.com

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 18, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7639375

Interesting and thank you!!!!! (I think!)
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 18, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7639712

That is actually interesting. Now we know why there are no red bottles, they require lead, which is poison, or gold, which is too expensive..
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7640395

and now I know why red stained glass is so much higher $$ then other colors
I always wondered
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

March 19, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7640502

I just bought some scrap red glass on eBay. Two pounds of red scraps for $12.

katie
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 22, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7647717

Katie, have you received it yet? I was thinking of doing that too. Will you let me know if it is similar to what you smashed and tumbled, or if it is round, smaller pieces, more tumbled, etc., than what we create?
Thank you.
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 22, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7647719

Oh, and what are you doing with that red glass?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

March 22, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7648346

I have gotten scrap glass before and it has been small broken pieces of stained glass. One batch has been tumbled; I have taken off the rough edges of the others in my tumbler.

Haven't decided what I'll do with the red glass yet except I for sure want to do a lamp.

katie
windrose
Cedar Park, TX

March 23, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7649963

I just tumbled some glasses that have darker colored, thick glass on the bottom, and then it gradually fades to clear glass on the top. The glass on the top is thin, and the bottom is thick. You see them everywhere. Anyway, the two that I bought were aqua. I smashed and tumbled and got those thick rock looking pieces we all want for those "rock" lamps, from the bottom part of the glass. Going back to search for more of these at Goodwill!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

March 24, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7654014

pictures please Windrose:)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #8059715

Windrose,
question how well do you clean your wone bottles before you break & tumble? im thinking the tumbler might remove the paper & glue what do you think?
Seems Like I spend days cleaning bottles
Cheryl
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 25, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #8060984

The tumbler will remove any dirt, etc. No need to pre-clean.

I just used my tumbler to clean a large (and cheap) batch of globs that had some mortar on them.

katie
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #8061013

thanks Katie
you do still have to remove the lables tho right?
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 25, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #8061041

Nope. The tumbler will do all the work. Really. kb
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #8061052

Great That will save so much time :)
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 25, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #8061131

Always start with the method that requires the least effort.

Katie's Law #1

kb
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8061626

your so right KB.. I have to clean really well to slump them so I was just cleaning All the came ... then a light came on ...Just sent 6 cases to the shop UNcleaned ...LOL
Aislinnirish
Sterling, MA

September 3, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #8078137

Hi Everyone!
OMG! was my first thought...there are others just like me! I have enjoyed reading all the posts here, I have perused them starting with 2007. It was great reading so I just kept going...
As with many of you, I have been doing mosaics for the garden/outdoors- decorating patio blocks with "found items" and tiles... hanging glass mosaic panels for the porch...and making mosaic birdhouses. One of my hobbies is stained glass and I own a wet saw. I too have a "tool addiction"!
I was searching the web this morning for ways to make sea glass to add to my junk chandelier on the porch when I came across your forum and found you all. It was a real ah-ha! moment.
Nice to meet you all in advance, hope to chat with you soon

windrose
Cedar Park, TX

September 3, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #8078157

Cheryl, did you get all your wine bottles broken?

Katie, I am heading out to the garage soon as I get off here to smash a bottle that still has the label on, that I can not get off. I have soaked that sucker for four days now. If I didn't like the color of the bottle so much I would have tossed it by now. I sure hope that glue comes off in the tumbler, that would make my life totally happy!

Aislinn - Pictures please! I would especially like to see pictures of your hanging glass mosaic panels for the porch. Are you gluing the glass?
keepingactive
Thousand Oaks, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2010
9:36 AM

Post #8078241

Windrose: Have you tried using one of those box cutters? After soaking bottles, I use the razor & it gets most of the paper label off, then I use an SOS pad to remove the remaining glue. I've used this method with mostly jars and plastic. Alas, I have no wine bottles--still looking and asking friends. I want a bottle tree, too! Also they have that glue/gunk remover that I've used. Read someplace that WD40 will remove glue/gunk, but it did not work for me. Good Luck, Sue
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8079036

HI Aislinnirish
& Welcome!!!! Yes Pictures We Love pictures around here.

I did get a few smashed and in the tumbler .. paper & all only left it about 24 hours What a great job it did. I will only clean bottles for slumping now !!!! I bought a bunch of frames at good will

Sue check with any small wineries in your area. I have been told it cost them more to recycle then to buy new. Thats where I got my last 6 cases. But im still looking for the Blue Bottles
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #8079108

windrose wrote:denimangle - No. I don't want to post until I find the perfect glue! Still having that bubble issue.

OK Girl Im still waiting for the Perfect glue ...:)
Aislinnirish
Sterling, MA

September 4, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #8079949

Hi back to all of you and thank you for the greetings!

Windrose--I read that a great way to get labels off of bottles is to put them in a 200 degree oven for 20 or so minutes --til the bottles get hot--and the labels will slide off intact. I haven't tried it yet but I am planning to. I just got a kiln from a friend to do bottle slumping and have been doing some reading up on the web lately.

My hanging mosaic was done on a plexiglass surface which I had pre-drilled the holes. I used an indoor outdoor dries-clear type glue and I had it out one whole summer with minimum pieces loss. I didn't hang it this year, I made flags instead, but I will resurrect it and find the glue name and take a picture. I made this for a mosaics- in- the- garden class I took a few years ago. It was what got me interested in stained glass.

I like to make stuff and let it sit out for a season and then make adjustments. One winter I slaved over some birdhouses which I painted in bright colors then totally covered in glass marbles which I had cut in half. They looked great BUT within a week or so of being in the weather 75% of the darned marbles fell off...the glue didn't like to stick to the painted parts arghhhhh. But it was a lesson learned before I try to sell them.
Thanks for letting me join in!

WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #8083608

Please come to our new thread, where we will hopefully
continue this discussion.

Cooler weather is approaching for many of us, which means
rock tumblers and kilns are sure to be fired up!

The new thread, part 3:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1127319/

Karen Marie

P.S. Brownies for all!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America