Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Need some ideas

Sumner, IA(Zone 4b)

I am really looking for ideas on what to do with a cement bin pad. This is about 12-14' circular slab of cement that a corn bin used to sit on. The bin was torn down before we bought this place, but the cement remains. The previous owner put large rock around the perimeter and filled it with dirt, there is about 1' of dirt in it now. I haven't a clue what to plant in it. Because of the cement the drainage isn't there except what comes out between the rocks and since there is only about 1' of dirt, I can't put anything in it that needs a deep rooting system. My husband isn't thrilled about a rock garden either.

This is really becoming an eye-sore and I'm looking for ideas. We live in NE Iowa and the area this bin pad is in is full sun.

I'm open to any ideas at all! Thanks/Karen

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The only things I can think of that would grow there, deep rooted or otherwise, with the concrete pad under it, are swamp type plants. Louisiana iris do well in bog situations as do Crimum Americana also known as Swamp Lilies. Your idea of a rock garden also might work. I guess you could always pour concrete "sides" to it and make it into a fountain or koi pond :)

Hope this is of some help.

Crow

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 3:32 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Or turn it into an area for a container garden--if you put enough pots there you won't see much of the concrete underneath.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

How about adding a few more inches of soil and using it as an herb rockgarden. Or turn it into a patio area (table, umbrella, chairs, barbeque, large container plants). How about an above-ground pool? Or put up a screen house? Maybe a greenhouse? I'm just full of ideas, or maybe just full of it! lol. I kind of wish I had that problem. Good luck Karen, hope it all turns out well.

Sumner, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I never thought about a container garden ...of course, I'm liking the above ground swimming too too! Of course living in the country we have 7 cats running around and a young black lab who likes to run, so I'm not sure about claw damage on some of those pools, but it's an option! Maybe just breaking up the cement and throwing grass seed down might be the best option of all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.