Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: Veggie seed starting question

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 5, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seedsandsuch
Collegedale, TN

February 7, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7538636

Hi;

I posted this question on another forum before I discovered this forum. So, I'm hoping that I finally have it in the right forum and someone can help me with this!

I am starting my plants for spring now and have a question that I hope some one can help me with. Last year, I started broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower indoors in my basement under grow lights. They came up wonderfully but after they were about 11/2 - 2 inches tall, the leaves began to curl back and it looked like they just dried up from the outside in. The small leaves in the center weren't affected at first but they soon got this too. It ruined many of my plants. When I noticed that this was becoming a big problem, I took the plants outside to my greenhouse and the problem stopped. The new leaves that came on were fine. I was thinking this may be damping off but after reading about it, I don't think so. On the plants that were hit worst, the stems stayed very sturdy, even after all the leaves had dried up and died. (It really looks like they are drying up. You can touch the affected ends of the leaves and the ends will come apart like dried herbs.)

Now, I don't want this to happen this year and I don't really know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to prevent this. I have looked for a long time around the web and just can't find anything that deals with this. It seems to affect only the plants like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. My tomatoes were totally unaffected by it although I did have a little trouble with my peppers as well. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I can do about it? Thank you so very much!
-Rachel
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7559768

RAphael, I'm sorry but not surprised that no one on the WS could answer your question about your problem with sowing veggie seeds under lights. On this forum we don't "do" sowing under lights, only outside in the elements with Mother Nature as our guide. I wonder if the Beginner Vegetables forum could help?
seedsandsuch
Collegedale, TN

February 15, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7560031

Thanks so much! I will check it out!
-Rachel
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7561657

Good--I hope you get some helpful advice! And sorry for the mis-name, Rachel!! Wasn't wearing my glasses!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 15, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7562095

Hi,

I'm going to take a guess that it's too warm & dry under the lights. Most veggies and a lot of annuals need cooler growing temps than when germinating. I move most of my stuff to the greenhouse as soon as the 2nd set of leaves form.

Before I got my greenhouse, I had my tomato seedlings under lights and I had to be careful of the distance btwn them & the lights. I swear they grew 2 inches a day. If the foilage is too close the lights will scoch the leaves

seedsandsuch
Collegedale, TN

February 19, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7570539

Hi;
Thanks for the suggestions. I have started monitoring the watering more closely and hope the problem goes away eventually. I'm hoping to get these out to the greenhouse this weekend, so I may still save many of them! Thanks so much!
-Rachel

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America