Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zone5dirt
Crystal Lake, IL

February 7, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7538768

Hi Todd. Moments ago, I came across this old thread doing some research. I'm trying to determine which is the best of the dwarf, white, dicentras, for my zone 5, Midwest garden. Have you done much comparing of the 'alba' vs the 'snowdrift' or 'snowflakes' or similar varieties? I'm hoping for a little patch of long-blooming white flowers, to use in a partially shaded, front of a small berm location. I've grown the full sized versions, earlier varieties of the pink dwarfs, and I've had wild dutchman's britches in an old location, but this is my first time seeking out the dwarf, white hybrids. Any thoughts about which is the best for long-season of bloom and that won't fall apart during a typical, midwestern heat wave? Thanks much!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7539276

The alba form of eximia is probably the best...some growers have issues with the hybrids in hot summer regions...but even eximia may melt out during a heat wave. I am fortunate that my summers are relatively cool and all of these dwarfs blooms from late May to September.
zone5dirt
Crystal Lake, IL

February 8, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7540880

Thanks for your input, Todd!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bleeding Hearts - Bizarre is Beautiful Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
so many bleeding hearts, so little time! Kathleen 3 May 15, 2008 7:30 PM
Beautiful! melody 4 May 19, 2008 11:49 PM
A touch of zone envy JaxFlaGardener 3 May 15, 2008 9:00 PM
Is it proper to trim Star Magnolia Bush? And when??? _ Af baurer 1 May 25, 2008 11:32 PM
I didn't know... nanny_56 0 May 15, 2008 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America