Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mums and Asters: Belgian Mums

Communities > Forums > Mums and Asters
bookmark
Forum: Mums and AstersReplies: 4, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kwikwater
Rangely, CO
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7539073

Would love to hear from anyone who has planted Belgian Mums in their gardens. Seems they're still too new to have much out there other than for the commercial growers who make them available to greenhouses. I've found just one source on the web. Not sure how big they'll be and what to expect in the first year. I look SO forward to what looks like a foolproof perfect specimen!!

Thanks All!!!
Kelvin

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 1:40 PM

This message was edited Feb 7, 2010 1:41 PM
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7541186

I don't have any Belgian Mums, but I am looking for perennial mums hardy to my zone (8a).

It sounds like you may have ordered some, what is the source you have found for them? I'd be interested in checking them out.

Do you have any pictures of them? Or maybe the online source would have pictures?
CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7541211

Kelvin, I just googled them and found this article about Belgian Mums. You may have already come across it. It is dated 2001, so it has been around for awhile. For me it was quite informative, since I had never heard the term Belgiun Mum until now.

http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/belgianmums.htm

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 6:16 AM
kwikwater
Rangely, CO
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2010
1:57 AM

Post #7543318

I've beat the web HARD!!! It seems they're mostly for sale as potted plants in the fall and nearly impossible on the web. I contacted local greenhouses, but they'd have to order them as cuttings or plugs 100-150 per color at a time. Just ain't gonna happen in our fairly rural wilderness in NW Colorado. There's a few articles out there and they're listed by the HUGE growers to supply the big growers. They were developed, I think, by GroLink and were released around 2000. I'd guess there's still heavy trademark and patent rights on them so they aren't on the web from the common perennial providers. Their big features that seem to crop up most often is that they're very durable to ship for the greenhouses as they don't break stems easily, as well as being tolerant to footballs and pets breakage. They are supposed to make their perfect globe shape without any pruning or other care.

I've found just one that interested me, although they only offer 5 of the many colors. Another, but just in 8" pots so I wonder about the shipping!! One website has a great picture gallery, but again, it's just for the big boys to order..(Dang it!!)

There's seaches to do using belgian mum care, culture, growing, etc. There's photos here on DG in the guides and information section.

I'm excited to give them a try. Give me a note off group and I can pass along links, that I'm not sure we're supposed to post.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 7:39 PM
Organic_Joe
Berne, IN

July 22, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8708077

Here is an online source for Belgian mums, they offer many varieties. They also offer a perennial mum.

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Buy-Potted-Belgian-Yoder-and-Perennial-Garden-Chrysanthemum-Plants-c92.htm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America