Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: New bees chit chat Come on in!! 2-8-10

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 313, Views: 1,471
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7540763

New Thread...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078031/ ...New Thread...2/25/10

Come on in... We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1072818/#new

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

This message was edited Feb 25, 2010 2:45 PM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7540765

Good Morning anyone awake???
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
1:00 PM

Post #7540978

Morning Robin - First coffee pot on, happy Monday!

You should get lots of sunflowers in the mail today for your Newbie packs. Enjoy!

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7541054

Good Morning Al,
I always love packages of seeds for the newbies!! It doesnt seem to matter how many show up...I enjoy each package each time...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7541160

Morning , How is everyone this fine gloomy morning LOL Suppose to start snowing here again late tonight. Another 5-6 inches Yuck!
Did somebody say it was close to Spring? :)))))))))))))) When and where ?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7541444

Hello, hello...you hoo where are you??/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7541472

Pretty here. 30 degrees so it is cold.
Good Morning everyone.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
3:52 PM

Post #7541504

Good Morning Flower!! RRM nice to see you.
seray53

February 8, 2010
4:10 PM

Post #7541573

Good morning! Still morning right? Nice and sunny today. Maybe I can wade out and prune my roses. LOL Still have coffee is that pot AL?
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7541738

Good day everyone.
Flower, you heard 5-6 inches for you? I heard 8-12 inches for us, I may lose my connection during that storm, where I am located I have spotty service anyway! I only have good connection in one spot in my house, :-( , but at least I have that!

May have mentioned this already, but I ordered my begonias the other day, I can't wait til they get here! I have some very nice shots of last years efforts, sadly, they are trapped in my cell phone.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7541742

I'll cook up a fresh one for you'all

Al
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 8, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7541833

HI All! My name is Melissa. I'm in Houston, zone 9. Anxiously awaiting real spring. Lots and lots of plans in mind, including getting Dh to build me a new bed. :D
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7541852

Hi Melissa - Welcome aboard our crazy train! Lots if fun people here, just watch.

Al
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 8, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7541898

Hey Melissa - I am Lori - in Oklahoma. I know nothing about anything but am learning from all of my wonderful friends here. Jump righ in - and Al, where is that coffee, I could use a pot about now! Been a wild morning around here. The big storm may miss us, may not, won't really know until later this afternoon - what we have gotten so far is no big deal.

Gotta go bake a cake for my son's surprise senior night at school - not a surprise to anyone else, just me, he called about 9 a.m. and again a few minutes ago. First call "mom, I need a cake", second call, "is the cake done?, can you bake an extra one for me?" Dang I love that boy!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7541921

Good morning peeps!

Hi Melissa and welcome! Finally another gardener from the land of the blazing summer sun... even though I think nothing compares to Phoenix, Houston is pretty dang close!

Kelly (but you can call me loca...)

P.S. Love your critters there Robin!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 8, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7541963

Robin - perfect video - exactly what I was looking for, except I am gonna use contractor bags. I may double them just in case, I may do it both ways as an experiment.. and when do you sleep? You were on here at 3 a.m. and back by at least 9 - got a little insomnia goin' on there?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7541964

Beautiful deer in the snow.
Hello, Melissa, welcome aboard. You are going to love it here. The girls are zaney and wonderful.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7542030

Hi all.. Welcome Melissa glad to have you here with us...You will find these ladies and gentlemen are extremely nice people with lots of knowlege to share..To me they are an extended part of my family and I visit here every chance I get.. I think we all are ready for spring.. I hope all of you getting blanketed in snow are keeping warm.. Cold here this morning, looks like it is trying to rain...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7542041

Melissa dont forget to hit arejay up for your newbie seed packet.. With spring so near it will be exciting to get free seeds in the mail.. Plus Al is sending some great sunflower seed assortments her way.. which reminds me I have some seeds I need to send out to you also Robin...Just have to stop being lazy and get them in individual packages for ya... hugs to all...
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 8, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7542084

Thanks for the welcomes. Already hit Robin up. That's how I found my way to the thread. :) I'm going to lose it if we don't get some sun soon here. I miss my yard being dry enough to walk on. I have been consoling myself with wintersowing, but at some point, you run out of room and the neighbors start looking at you funny.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7542126

KCS are you still here? they arent stuck in your cell phone...dmail me I can help you get the pictures off!! Who else is here did I see Seray up there somewhere? What video did I post that helped someone? Ive been gone for 1 1/2 hours and already you are all way ahead of me...Whenever you are ready Lori and if you cant get to the sorting send the bulk I have helpers!!Was it you lori that said you were sending seed?
Hi Melissa yes we have met!! Hi Melissa
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 8, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7542195

hi melissa good to have you you are going to love daves garden, we all do. for now this snow could go away they are saying we could get 4or5 more inche don,t need it. oh well just go with the flow. afternoon all. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7542255

Enjoy the snow my southbound friends! For once we got off clean as a whistle this time. Absolutely no snow at all. It's dern cold up here though.

Our Lowe's just got their new seed rack in yesterday, and I bought another 3 cu. ft. of indoor potting mix (frozen hard as a brick) from their cold warehouse. Okay - Spring's coming, but not too fast around here. Time for more hot coffee, I'll give it a thought.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7542335

Al said he was sending sunflower seeds and I am going to get some seeds together for you also..
The video was the trash can video for potatoes...(I think)
I am winter sowing also(my first year) I have little sprouts up in several containers..Im waiting for my Dad to bring me some more milk jugs I have lots of things I want to ws still.. I dont have any neighbors nearby, but DH is starting to look funny at me... I guess he dont understand how many plants it takes to fill a flowerbed or 10.. lol

ooops edited for spelling

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 2:17 PM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7542370

Thats ok Huney just keep planting he will understand eventually ,that you have completely lost your senses since arriving on the newbie thread, and that you are perfectly ok with that idea.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 8, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7542397

Huney, my Dh thought I was crazy too...and then I caught him checking the jugs for seedlings...Hah! Actually, he's known I was crazy since I told him that I was a geologist when we were dating.

And the new bed is entirely of his doing...he wants corn, I told him I needed a new bed. Bonus is that I can grow okra in it during the summer. :D

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7542490

Ha ha ha - so are you really a geologist or was that the hook line and sinker ploy to nap the DH??

lol...
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 8, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7542529

Nope, really am a geologist. Dh claims that its much harder to be married to a geologist because I expect flawlessness in my gemstones. Which is not true...I just expect them to be better than the rest..and I know how to check them. And if they are unusual, even better.

I am constantly on the lookout for rocks to display in my gardens much to his disgust. He's going to be in real trouble when I get back from Montana this summer...there are good rocks up there to bring home.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7542540

Hey, AL> I got a care package in the mail today... Hugs...you need lots of hugs...
I will think of you when I get them planted.
Love the Card too.
Hugs and nuzzles from the longear gang.
Love ya,
Charleen
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 8, 2010
9:13 PM

Post #7542549

hi star my garden is held togeather with rocks love them and they are free. my grand kids collect rocks they leave them in the yard, dh hits them with the lawn mower. thats not good. we have a friend who is a rock hound, she gave the granddaughter a nice tiger eye. have to watch the little darlings they can do real damage in my rock garden. nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 8, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7542590

good afternoon al that was a nice surprise thank you 10 times over. nettie. you made my day !!!!
seray53

February 8, 2010
9:38 PM

Post #7542621

Hi Sapphire! Welcome to DG. Love gemstones. My DH bought me a blue sapphire for an engagement stone. jyotish quality I almost passed out. I returned the gift with a red coral cabochon. Didn't have a nickel to our names and every penny went to those gems. LOL Youth Some kids buy stereo systems and fancy cars we bought gems. Nice to know we have rock hounds here. Haven't done that in years.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

February 8, 2010
10:08 PM

Post #7542695

hi all

welcome sapphire, you will enjoy this thread.

hey marti, the flower is why i wanted to grow artichokes just thought i would add to the garden now that i have nothing lol.

hey seray you have a dmail

blondie
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7542720

Hi Everyone Welcome Melissa hope you enjoy it here with us.
Tried calling Mekos today got her anwering service left her a message but going to try again tomorrow.
Supposed to get rain then snow then rain again overnight and tomorrow. I'm ready for spring here too now but it will be at least a couple of weeks before it simmers down weatherwise.
Off to knit on another hat this time one with a brim but still green in color LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7542727

So now we have a geologist in our little group - how 'bout that!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 8, 2010
10:30 PM

Post #7542752

hi rj can i send a picture in a dmail ?nettie
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7542790

arejay- where are you? Yoo, Hoooo! Can't catch up with you, you little flutterby, you!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
11:04 PM

Post #7542827

Nettie - yup, you can send a pic in a d-mail... Look for the browse at the bottom just like on the threads here.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
11:46 PM

Post #7542933

Yes nettie you can send in a dmail or post on a thread
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
11:47 PM

Post #7542934

Hi Chelle are you looking for me?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
11:49 PM

Post #7542941

Glad everybody got their mail today. Hugs, yeah I could use a few right now. Wife has a big concert production Thursday night, then the tension will be over until the next one. It's a big emotional thing for her so I cook, clean, and do the laundry until she gets through it. Kinda like coaching for the big game, just has to be done. We're planning on some vacation time in Philly next week during her Spring break.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7543166

I wish her the best AL. She will be great.
RRM
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7543185

Al wishing her the best of luck Thursday let us know how it goes for her.
Here's the hat I finished yesterday . I'm still in green mood probably because I'm wanting to see it green up around here LOL.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

seray53

February 9, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7543291

Pretty Hat Mindy! Have fun in Philly Al. Wish we could all be there to cheer your wife on.

Blondie you have an email.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7543739

hi all,
Al the box arrived !! Thank you Thank you!! Did I say I love the hat Mindy? Hi Sherri!!
I am thinking it migh be time for a scramble who is up for it? Head out and pull them in...Meko has been gone way to long...Time to liven it up in here with a game...Bring on some newbies my little worker bees. We need a plant I am going to go see what i can find...
Night...
seray53

February 9, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7544323

Good Morning! Coffee is good this am. 31 Sunday, 45 last night, 33 tonight. Isn't that spring?

Hope you have a good day!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7544337

Hi everyone... some times it is so nice to be able to just sit back and read what you guys all write. Kind of like sitting at the kitchen table with a good cup of coffee (thanks Al) and a group of close friends just chatting the day away about how we are all going to play in the dirt soon!
I like playing in the dirt. Do you think it goes away if it is covered by 14 inches of snow? (kind of like does a tree make a sound when it falls in the forest if no one is there to hear it?) if no one is there to see the dirt, maybe it takes a holiday...and mother nature is waiting patiently for our bit of dirt to get back...I think the flight was delayed due to weather conditions!...WAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! (insert crying emoticon here)

The good news is lots of people in New Orleans are very happy. February only has 19 days left. The snow storm due to hit today has not started yet. I got some actually sleep last night. I keep forgetting to send a bubble envelop to Arejay for my newbie seed pack (how long is that good for anyways? lol) I have lots of helpers wanting to put in all kinds of new gardens this year (bog and fairy for starters) I am making some really neat new friends. There is a geologist among us and I really really really like rocks. and the list goes on...

See, this is what happens when I have a full pot of coffee before everyone else in the house is up. I ramble. Did I mention I really like rocks? lol

I planted potatoes last year in old tires. Had them stacked 4 high and had some good results. I think I am going to do it again this year but even more. I have a community food bank project that I started last fall and potatoes would go well in the garden for the local food bank. Our little town took quite a beating from the economy and this is the only way I know to help those around me who need the help. So I have been collecting veggie seeds for the past few months to help get lots of different stuff planted that will keep well, like carrots, potatoes and squash.

Ok, I am done rattling off at the mouth now...(did I mention the rock thing?) you all have a great day and keep warm. talk to you all later

Julie

seray53

February 9, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7544353

Nice read, your ramble. Betcha Robin has lots of veggie seeds to share. Good idea about tires and taters.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 9, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7544412

LOL, Julie, that did sound like a coffee induced ramble. Maybe I can find a small pretty hunk of quartz or granite for your fairy garden. I'll keep my eyes open. Fairies like pretty rocks, right?

I'm trying potatoes in trash cans this year. I sprouted them inside and stuck them in the cans this past weekend. I have also been kicking around the idea of trying a container of asparagus. In fact, so much kicking has been done that I am >thisclose< to actually going and buying the roots at Walmart (mostly so that it is only a $5 investment). Trying it in a container so that if I actually succeed, I can move them to whatever new house we buy in a year or so. I also got strawberries to try in a container in the front porch.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 8:30 AM
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 9, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7544452

Mornin' all - cold as Mrs. Edwards behind here! 18 right now - wind chill is below zero - Think I will stay inside today.

DH off to work - kids off to school and daycare - heck, I should go back to bed.

Jar, do you like rocks?? I thought I read that somewhere. Have you guy introduced the geologist to the rock trading thread yet? RRM, that sounds like a nice job for you, since you are there. Have you guys started sending out your rocks yet? Bet rates go up on flat rate packages when you guys are done. Did you know the post office is not federal anymore? I just found that out, run by a private corp like everything else - and they still screw it up! If I could afford UPS, I would ship everything through them, at least their stuff gets where it is supposed to in a timely manner. (I know RRM, it helps when you put an addy on the box - sometime we forget things!)

Good pic of you Al, and you look about like I had imagined! I had a nephew that lived in NY for awhile - his wife is from NJ but lives in Philly. He is in Canada now, looking for a job in Philly so he can live with his wife. Anyway...his NY story: Remeber the boy is from rural OK - he worked for Lehman Bros - walked to work everyday - like 4 miles or something - it was so cold one morning, he had to take his contacts out and put them in his mouth before he got to the office, they froze in his eye. Now that is cold!! The child has done well, went to Duke on a wrestling scholarship, intern and job at Lehman Bros, got out of there before they crashed, now at Royal Bank of Cananda. Here I hardly get out of Oklahoma, sometimes I am a little jealous!

Ok, I have rambled enough, got work to do. Jar, did you mention you like rocks??

jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7544492

There is a rock trading thread??? where? How did I miss that one? Now see what you have started Enid!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 9, 2010
3:31 PM

Post #7544567

Well, Jar, I have no idea, give me a sec and I will find that link for you.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 9, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7544592

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1068717/
Try that Jar, if it doesn't work, you can find them under communities, garden talk, rock swap #3 - RRM posts to that thread so if you get lost, she can help ya. They won't let me have rocks here, afraid I might throw them at someone! I don't get sharp objects either - no one wants to stabbed either. I don't know what is wrong with my family, they all seem to feel the need to protect themselves! LOL

y'all have a great day!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7544627

We have a rock from just about every state we've traveled in for our garden collection. We still know where they all came from! My wife really wants a "boulder" to use as a centerpiece for our garden. Since I'm retired as a design engineer for the Dept. of Transportation I have several friends the construction and quarry business willing to help me out on this. Some of them even drive big trucks. The problem is finding just the right rock, which must be my wife's job (or else). She wants one about 15-20 cu. ft. which can weigh as much as a ton or so. It's just not going to fit in the trunk of my old Lincoln, and I'm certainly not going to move it once it's delivered. As we speak we're still looking, but I'll be sure to keep you girls updated as this Spring project pans out, complete with photos.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7544668

I love Rocks. I have several rock edged gardens. DH refused to stop for rocks. Seems like the ones I like are too large. So Now I just go down into the woods and get my own. More fun and no worry about him getting hurt.
Here's a sample:

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7544760

Oh rocks did you all hear jar likes rocks? I lie rocks to and rambling and coffee and trades and all of you I like all of you the best.I have seen rock threads here but I have not yet seen a rock trading thread. Bet Jar can start one though if anyone can that girl can..did anyone notice I am going to do a scramble?
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 9, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7544776

I did. I'm interested. :) Mostly biding my time until you post it.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7544826

Hi Sapphire be sure and tell your friends to come too ok?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7544873

Where is this infamous scramble at Robin? You know I'm always up for a good scramble - lol.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7545025

I can scramble eggs pretty good...Words aren't that easy

Al

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 9, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7545044

ok i give up,whats a scramble? if its like a merry go round ill just watch. i get motion sickness oh yes. nettie
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7545206

Hi everyone!

Gosh it sure is good to come here and relax,... I just about had a brain blowout a little while ago. Just learning too much too fast for this old brain to process.
Can't get jar any rocks right now, mine are all frozen to the ground. For some reason DH brought a rock home with us from a vacation on Mackinac Island, its the only one I like. I get so sick of them getting stuck in my garden fork that I throw all of them over the fence. It seems they multiply faster than anything else. *chuckle*
Off to look at some flowers, have a great day!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 9, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7545228

I'm with Nettie, what is a scramble?? I won't volunteer to play along if I don't know what it is!

Did anyone notice Jar likes rocks? Just want to make triple sure everyone knows.

I am so sick of working in this house I could scream! I really think I have made a bigger mess than anything. These are supposed to be easy improvements, why does it take so long and make me so mad?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7545229

It isnt anywhere yet Kelly...are you trying to fool someone like you are not the latin scramble Queen you dont even know how the scrambles go?
Nettie a scramble is a game we play to win a lant. I find the plant either one of my own or someone donates in this case it has been donated as of this morning!!
Then I find it in the plant files and scamble the latin name for it post it for you all to unscramble. THe winner gets the plant!! And learns l;atin and how to use plant files!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7545283

lol Robin - you are funny! It's been a long time and I may be a bit rusty...

Girls, I gotta warn you though... The letters you are trying to unscramble aren't always what they appear to be... Robin goes on time travel trips and adds/subtracts necessary letters, making it all the more difficult to solve. I don't think she really does this on purpose, it just happens...
seray53

February 9, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7545299

Like lant. Now most of us know Robin well enough to know that lant is plant. Just imagine that in latin. LOL Now you know why we drink Mekos virtual mojitos! LOL
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 9, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7545360

i got no problem with that cause i do that all the time, i might need to withdraw before we start cause i do word search all the time. lo just my luck
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7545407

Word search is great for tuning the mind you will do just fine Nettie I expect to see you right in here going for the plant...
Kelly such things you say!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
8:57 PM

Post #7545410

And you Miss Seray, Well what the heck is lant anyway...that is just silly there is no such satin ord as lant
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7545466

I've been searching for the right words all my life...

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7545478

Amen Al - amen!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

February 10, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #7546089

good evening all

al, i wish your wife the best performance ever.

he loca, i agree on the scramble, i still loved trying even when there may have extra letters or not enough. the challenge is great, i miss those scrambles too.

blondie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 10, 2010
1:32 AM

Post #7546169

al you know im new here what does your wife do? play ,sing ,dance, im in the dark please help me out. thanks . my grand mother always told me if you don,t know you should ask. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
3:42 AM

Post #7546521

She is the leading stage director for our local performing arts school. She also is a high school music teacher between performances. Been into stage work almost for her whole career, maybe retire next year. This is sort of a modern production of the "Nutcracker" involving orchestra, vocal, and dance. A fairly large show with about 50 kids from second graders through high school seniors. Lots of costuming for the cast, too. The big show will be Thursday night providing we don't get snowed out.

Al

jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7546587

Al, that sounds like some production performance. Wish her well for us will you?

As for the rest of you...Yes I like Rocks...and thanks for taking part in teasing the missing girl all day when she wasn't here to defend herself. ***pout sniffle sniffle pout*** (Oh, why yes Mekos, I would love a momjito...extra tequila you say? sure I can handle it!) *sticking tongue out*

As for the wrod smacrlbe, I wulod lvoe to ptcripatiae in taht knid of avicttiy. I lvoe to do toshe tpyes of pzuzels in my srape tmie. As a meattr of fcat, trhee is a gmae jsut lkie taht, mnuis the Liatn, on my cpmotuer as we sapek.

hehehehehehe...make fun of me!!

***running for cover***
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 10, 2010
4:06 AM

Post #7546588

al i would love to see that its one of my favorits, tell her i said to break a leg! it takes a very special person to work with children. full of love and understanding, and the patients of jobe, you have a speciel lady! give her my best wishes nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 10, 2010
4:14 AM

Post #7546609

jar i love that couldn,t have done a better job myself . you go girl. nettie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7547854

Yep - We got it last night, about 12" of new snow. We're keeping the fuel tanks full for sure. Wife is driving her little 4 wheel drive Escape, I just shoveled out my old Lincoln (with new winter tires and two big bags of potting soil in the trunk). Coffee pots on..

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7547879

My best to her Al!! Jar...are you talking to yourself now? Meko isnt here. She is still in hiding I have said goodnight John boy enough times now that I know I would have riled her for a response if she were here. Really hun you need a nap I think sticking out your tongue making noises talking to yourself. Im pretty sure you are tired and I told you before 100 times if I told you once...*****No Rock THrowing********

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2010

Post #7547883

Sounds like a beautiful morning Al... well, except the shoveling part - lol.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2010

Post #7547885

Watch out Robin. She does like rocks...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 10, 2010

Post #7547953

Oh Jar, I think you have done it now - singing nanny nanny boo boo and sticking out your tounge will get your hair pulled around here. (I have a house full of testosterone you know) I won't throw rocks at you because YOU LIKE ROCKS - so I will throw dirt clods - I have lots of really big hard ones. LOL - problem is, I throw like a girl! Miss my target most of the time - which is probably good cause I go outside and throw stuff at the bird bath - if I hit it even half the time, I would have lots of trash to pick up. I scream and throw, neighbors think I am crazy anyway, may as well give them a show.
Screaming and throwing works out better for me than saying ugly things to my family that you can't take back. I know it sounds childish but what the heck, it works for me.

Arejay, thank goodness the brain compensates for bad typing, has saved my butt a few times. I worked for an attorney for a few years - he was so confused by my typos and general screw-ups, half the time he didn't even notice them - as for the Judges, they scan documents so fast, they read the content correctly even when there are glaring errors. Worst thing about Dr. and lawyers, they like to eat, fiddle with papers and other distracting items, carry on conversations with other people...all while doing dictaction - takes awhile to figure out what someone is saying with a mouth full of Cheetos!!

Enough of that - Jar, if we didn't love you honey, we wouldn't pick on you. Arejay, you just make it too easy to pick on you - sometimes I am not even sure you notice.

Well, off to find Seray - think it is time to drink! Al, got the coffee on? I am bringing my Irish Cream with me! I will be there in about 3 days. LOL
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 10, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7547976

So much for a nice day here. We are getting rain AGAIN. Never thought I'd complain about it, but I'm getting antsy to get out in the yard and work. I have seedlings that need to go in the beds and things that need to be potted up. That's the problem with Houston. It teases you about Spring for weeks until it actually gets here. Our last freeze date was last week, but I got burned (and so did the plants) last year, so I am extra cautious this year.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7548019

Who is picingg on me?
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 10, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #7548030

Sapphire - you sound like me - although we haven't made it to our last freeze date yet, I am 8 hours north of you in Oklahoma - I am sick of the weather!! I know better than to plant before April 15 - that is my "safe" time! Before that, it is probably gonna get frost bit.

We have had spring like weather alot this winter so I really shouldn't complain about a cold spell but dang, it gets old in a hurry. I am not an inside person - I would just as soon stay in the yard and drink my coffee and talk to the birds and butterflies!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 10, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7548039

It's just me Arejay - somebody's gotta keep you on your toes!! Although, it was Jar (you know, the lady that likes rocks) that pointed out a few of your minor typos.

Where is Mekos when we need her - I think it is time for a drink, a laugh and a group hug!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7548068

You all behave in here for a bit I have to be gone unil like 9pm gosh what is it with outside obligations dont they know there is a hole virtual reality going on in here???
SYS
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7548383

You all can come visit if you want to, but we might all be holed up together for 3 or 4 days after this next big storm coming up the coast. Philly and Washington are already getting hammered for the second time this week. We're pretty much prepared for it here, just put another log on the fire and sit tight for awhile. Lots of food on hand stocked in the freezer. Irish Cream does mix well with coffee though, and I do love good coffee.

Al
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 10, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7548435

Amaretto is good in coffee too.

LOl. had to laugh at your throwing things, enid...I used to go through that too. Only I used old coffee cups and a tree in the back yard...then it got to be i didn't want to have glass all through the yard so I switched to eggs...then I didn't want to waste the food...so now I just mutter under my breath and learned to word things really well so even if it confuses them, when they finally do figure it out, they realize they were in the wrong!! lol (mamma is always right!)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7548507

I quit throwings things when they started bouncing back and hitting me.
God's way of saying "calm down" Believe me , it hurts.
Charleen
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 10, 2010
9:33 PM

Post #7548758

RRM - you are the only person I know that can have a catastrophe while throwing a fit! I swear girl - what in the world were you throwing that would ricochet??

Think I will let y'all handle the winter storm up there without me. From what I am hearing down here, Philly is bad, bad and NY is getting there. The sun ain't shining here but it ain't snowin either - guess I can't complain!

Just in case you guys ever need to know, Goo Gone, a citrus based product, will clean green car wax off of you appliances. Not that anyone would ever need to know that but me - thought I would share anyway.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7548873

A stick!!! A ball!!! A Rock. You name it will bounce back and hit me. Then I'd have a bruised shin for a week. How embarassing.
What the heck is Goo gone? What are you doing polishing your appliances with car polish? You get into mess just like me, sis!!!
Durn , it is cold out I know that.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2010
11:17 PM

Post #7548988

Hello all... Hope your all feeling well.. Weather isnt bad here today just a lil cold (upper 30's) They say we may have a little snow tomorrow.. I wont hold my breath waiting on it tho..I know most of you guys are sick of snow..I can only imagine what 3 feet or more would be like, and I like to rake pine straw but I think I'd be totally against shoveling snow in the cold...I would love to see a lil snow here tho... We will probably just get freezing rain..I guess I should go out and cover my WS containers.. I have some lil sprouts out there I dont want to freeze..I have a bag of dirt in here on the kitchen table.. I think I will get in there and make up some more containers to plant my seeds in..I went to a garden specialty shop today, oh my goodness they had so many beautiful pots and water fountains and benches of that were stained concrete some with mosiac hummingbirds, flowers,ducks, and fish.. I could spend all day in there looking around..To bad I couldnt afford any of her beauties..ok Im off to plant some seeds.. talk later...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 10, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7548991

Oh btw love that rock garden RRM..

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
12:27 AM

Post #7549189

Oh, Thank you Honeybunch. I want to start making some things next spring too.
Will be glad when it warms up. Been a cold ,wet winter.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
12:39 AM

Post #7549228

I like rocks too, but to plant anything in them out here you're asking to fry your plants - lol.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2010
12:44 AM

Post #7549242

HI everyone Charleen those bouncing back at you stuff reminded me of the time one of my nephews at age 4 or 5 liked to throw sticks up in the air. He quit when one came back down and hit him in the head. His parents just asked him if he was going to do that again and he said no, it hurts when it hits you instead of something else.
Still snowing off and on here supposed to stop by 7 am tomorrow then supposed to get more snow showers Friday.
Hat is done except for putting the plastic piece in to make the brim. Might fool with that part tomorrow.
Well I'm off to see what else is going on around here.
Al glad to hear you are safely snuggled in for the duration.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

February 11, 2010
1:24 AM

Post #7549329

Just checking in on the new thread. Al, so glad you are getting the snow instead of us, this time. But I am sorry for you, as I know how deep it can get. Stay snuggled in! And do let us know how the DW's productions goes. Gotta go start some food for the DH to eat. Hate to have him grumpy from hunger! We finally are getting warmer here, up to 30 today! Still thinking it's too early to winter sow tho, so am holding off. Never done it before, but we'll see how it goes.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

February 11, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7549339

Ok, now I know it's too early to winter sow. Just checked 3 different sites, and our last frost date is somewhere between June 10th, and June 28th. OMG. Now I also know I am sick of cold and snow!
seray53

February 11, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7549616

Evening all! Missed ya today. I was up all night talking mostly to myself about Mekos. LOL

Raise your hands if you got at least 2 Maxine email jokes from Mekos a week. LOL Well since she's stuck out there in the real world how about us sending her a Maxine card next week. I don't mean one! How about everyone sending her a Maxine card and telling her to give us a call, come on back etc. etc. Think your roads will be clear enough for you to get groceries sometime next week? If we bombard her enough maybe she'll retaliate like with snowballs. Can't let her go without trying. Her address is in the files. Are you in?

enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 11, 2010
3:25 AM

Post #7549690

I'm in, pick me!! Maybe we should send her some seeds too - you know, maybe she is depressed since she lost everything in the greenhouse.

Either way, I think you are right, we gotta try something. Now, do we bombard her or do we try to space it out a little? Like someone mail Mon, Wed Fri, do we sent a date and we all send - or do we send harry carry? I'm flexible.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7549727

OK - gotta find a Maxine card and I'm in...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7549737

I've been reading all these DG articles on winter sowing, now I'm really psyched! Never tried this before, sounds interesting. I guess I'll have to start collecting plastic milk jugs for my back porch. You folks are all probably experts on this and I never even gave it a thought before. We're always learning something new around here.

Did you know that you can make a whole jar full of salad sprouts in about a week or so? A great winter project when everything else is so blah. It' just an old mayonaise jar covered with a special plastic top that has holes in the cap. They're delicious and so easy to grow right on your counter top, don't even need sunlight. I made my first batch of mung beans last week. I cook them in stir fry recipes too.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7549742

Al, those plastic take out or deli containers make great wintersowing containers too...
seray53

February 11, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7550109

Hi Everyone! You knew Jar and I were the only ones awake didn't you? LOL

My DH handed me the mail about 20 minutes ago (don't ask) and guess who I had a letter from. You got it! Mekos and Mojo!

Here's the news:

The first thing she said was "I can't believe they did that to Dave ..." LOL You know our Mekos.

The next thing was she hopes her internet will be back on soon. She lost everyone's address, email etc. when her computer died.

She's been under the weather and went to the ER but is ok now. Kidney stone. Started therapy for arthritis and seems to be doing a little better.

She sent me some seeds and an amorph bulb and told me how and when to plant. My Mekos!!!! Then she said her yard was a river. She had lost most of the plants in her GH including all the rare hibiscus, and ephyllums, her green jade vine "and so many of my favorites, I'm getting depressed over it. I guess it wasn't meant to be." Says she's going to give up trades and give extras she has and forget it. Lost her water plants "never got to see a bloom from them" Then she says "ENOUGH OF THIS!

She says her Grandbaby is still hanging in there. "God told me it would be ok and grow strong and live" She weights 4 lbs now and has 41/2 more weeks to go.

"Tell everyone hello for me and Mojo. "I miss you guys"

Tell Mindy: I sent her some grape vines but only 3 would fit the box so will send a couple more later on.

Tell RRM: I got her card. Love her and miss her. Hugs to Charlie too.

"I got seeds for all you guys also to go with surprises from Blondie and me from Christmas so please tell Blondie they are on the way to her now. Sorry for the delay"

"BIG AUCTION COMING SOON! can't wait. I got so many seeds to pass out..."

She found a box full for Arejay still in the computer room. Tell her "Will get it mailed soon". BIG BOX FULL she says.

"Please thank Lori for the candle and the dog sweater. She is so sweet. Perfect fit on mojo. I took pictures and will share when I get back".

"Well big hugs to you and take care. Love you guys and miss you all"

There you have it! I still say we go with Maxine cards and let her know we miss her. I think she had a rough time. She said her phone rang while she was in the hosp. and she couldn't get to it.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7550245

Good Morning Everyone,
I want to say Johnboy when you get here. I get a Thought for today in my email every morning. Today it has to be shared with you Jan. We miss you so much.

Determination and Patience
Determination is the strength that will enable you to pass the barrier of useless thoughts in order to create positive thoughts and to be successful in whatever you wish. It comes from within and its partner is patience. Patience teaches you not to push but rather to wait and appreciate the game of life instead, knowing that nothing remains the same, and everything will change at some point.

Hugs to you all,
Robin
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

February 11, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7550650

Thanks for the update on mekos! Love the Maxine idea. I'm in! Robin, I love your thought for the day. Thanks for sharing it.
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7550891

Well, I am in on the Maxine cards...also, Seray, I would like to send a couple plants, like Enid suggested about the seeds. Maybe if she has something to look forward to come planting season, she won't be so depressed.

Going to grab her address now.

Thanks for the update.
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7551198

I never had a chance to introduce myself to Mekos before her computer died, but would still like to send her something. Do you think she would mind?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2010
5:49 PM

Post #7551203

Nope - she wouldn't mind at all! Her address is in the address exchange. Let me know if you need help finding it...
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7551474

Thanks loca!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 11, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7551490

Mekos will be so excited!! I will get my card out tomorrow, I am attaching a pic of the front of the card so maybe we won't duplicate too much - this is one of those silly singing ones. You can see the front, the inside says "and show the world just how you feel". Maxine is bent over mooning the world - of course there is a black panel that says "censored" over her hiney. It sings "Bad Moon Rising". I laughed out loud at the store so had to buy it.

KCSMom - please do send her a card, that way she knows how much we miss her. When we talk about her so much the newbies can't wait to meet her, she MUST be something special!!

Anyway, got my town running done for the day - now on to my other projects.

Oh, and RRM - Goo Gone is a product you can buy at Lowes - for cleaning. I use it on grease spots in the laundry, caulking residue... the green wax was a result of an experiment gone horribly wrong. (I was going to wax the shower walls, they are easier to keep clean that way) This wax was supposed to clean and fill small scratches - I did not know it was tinted green - didn't read the bottle just trusted DH. End result...I threw the bottle of liquid wax on the floor and when I got out of the tub I was scrubbing, I stepped on it. It splattered EVERYWHERE!! All over the walls I had just painted, on the freezer, all over the tile floor... it was a huge mess.

Thumbnail by enidcandles

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010

Post #7551555

You poor dear girl, Lori. You see that's what I mean. If I throw something I generally regret it. Didn't YOU??????
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 11, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7551640

Oh, you know I regretted it, will it keep me from doing it again? Probably not - my BF swears I will get over it by the time I am 60 - says I won't have the energy to throw stuff and clean the mess both. One or the other, best to save the energy for accidents she says. I too have picked up glass from the yard, or rocks or lawn ornaments or whatever. I have clamed down ALOT over the years, at least I don't throw children anymore. LOL
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7551843

Lori what are you throwing at Mekos goo!! Lori, you know better !! Jan she doesnt mean it ...come on now you to make up...no more tempers!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2010
10:02 PM

Post #7551905

I cant load the Maxine picture but :

My mind works like lightning, One brilliant
Flash and it is gone.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 11, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7552123

Robin, you have the most amazing way of interpreting what we have typed!!! I'm not throwing anything at Mekos - I do know better - please don't let Lucy get me!!

Cute card Robin - she will like that one!

Now where is Seray, she started this didn't she??

Did yall know Jar likes rocks?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7552148

I am not positive as you all can guess without me telling you . I think I read somewhere this morning in the wee hours...THat Seray was out for the weekend. Back on Sunday dont quote me but thats what I think t said... And even if she isnt out until Sunday she was up half the night last night and that I am pretty positive of just look at the timestamps on her posts... So your stuck with me kids...Lucy where is she?

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2010
12:46 AM

Post #7552219

Yep, she had a Randevoo, I know that is not right. But Seray was going somewhere.
Without us, arejay...
What kind of rocks, jar, like sapphires, rubies, topaz????
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
1:04 AM

Post #7552246

I think she likes any rock like larspur, granite, black round...any king. I met a lady here one with something I think she called them mud rocks or something like that have you met her Jar she likes rocks. Can you believe Seray just skipped of lalala and left us her like puff gone she out wondering the beach somewhere or eating some fancy pastry at some unknown restaurant
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 12, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7552284

arejay what is wrong with mekos grandbaby ?
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2010
1:41 AM

Post #7552343

Lycodad,
Might want to delay that trip to Philly next week. We're due to get 2 more
back-to-back storms next week. State of Emergency here in South Jersey
38" of snow with the last 2 storms & its a real mess.

House freezers full, the birds get their food on a plate on top of a snow pile
(can't get over to the feeders), the ferals are in the barn, and the squirrels
are attacking the peanut bag on the porch. We're all happy here. House
happy that is !!

Did Mekos post what she lost and in need of seed for? Might have some
thing in my stash for her.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #7552351

I dont know all the details Nettie but he is very small . I think he is better but it has been very scary I think there was some information on some of the older newbies threads. If you go to my info on the top of your home page you can see it says post that I have made click there and find other newbie threads she wrote a while back.
If anyone else knows the diagnoses for Mekos grandbaby would you post it for us?
On a lighter note I have decided no I am not sending Maxine cards I am sending snow balls so watch out she wont be able to resist throwing them...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
1:45 AM

Post #7552354

I think it said she lost a lot of her plants in her greenhouse.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2010
3:16 AM

Post #7552534

Hey - The concert's over, wifey's got both feet still on the ground! Had a great time. The little kids were cute, and the older ones talented. We played to a full house tonight and a really great show. Yahoo, (did I say) it's over!

We're taking some time off all next week, but won't likely to be in Philly. The weather there is said to be really nasty until they can get it all cleaned up. The whole city has been crippled by all this snow. Two major storms in one week. We may spend 2 or 3 days in Rochester north of here to just get away for a while. We have a favorite hotel up there with a nice indoor pool and hot tub. I going to sit in it until my toes thaw out. Then off to the shopping malls and garden centers.

Al
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7553100

Al tell wifey congratulations on a great performance. Yeah I know I wasn't there but I am pretty sure it was great LOL.

Mekos grandbaby's moma has lost other babies and they were worried about losing this one but seems like this one is going to get here.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 13, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7554890

My goodness folks, did everyone fall off the face of the earth today??

My BF and I went to an estate sale today - got losts of cool stuff for the yard - and an allergy attack. She bought an antique chennille bedspread - it may have had mold or something one it. I don't know what got me but as soon as I got in my pickup with her and "IT" I started sneezing, eyes watering... I still feel like crap so going to lay down again.

Just thought I would check in.

Glad your wife's performance went well! You never know with kids - sometimes they surprise you in the most amazing ways.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2010
3:14 AM

Post #7555090

Hi Lori , Mindy, wow quiet here today where is everyone?
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 13, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7555118

I guess I threw too much stuff and scared everyone away!!

Kinda scarry just the two of us Arejay - we could get in lots of trouble!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7555215

Your not alone!! I'm out here lurking about.

Marti
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 13, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7555219

I've been slammed at work today. Big proposal going out next week. Tonight I had to get the house back in shape for a playdate tomorrow morning. We are going to talk gardening and the kids are going to plant Thai basil and cilantro seeds in yogurt cups. Picked those two because I have about a million seeds of each from very productive plants. By the way, if anyone wants some cilantro seeds, send an SASE. :) No idea what variety they are, but the plants came true to last year's cilantro. I have more than I'll ever plant in a lifetime. I'm in the address exchange.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7555236

sapphirestar, I'm putting an envie out in the mail tomorrow for Cilantro seeds OK. Would a regular envie and 1 stamp due it or more??

Marti
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 13, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7555237

Sounds like you have been busy sapphire! Hope all goes well with the proposal.

So, you have someone in your neighborhood that gardens and has children the same ages as yours? That's great. I promise, Boopie and I will be the only gma, baby team in our neighborhood. I bought him a little bitty water can though, we will see if he uses it. I bet he is gonna want to play with the hoses, and eat dirt. Wonder if he will try to eat the worms? If he does I will try to take a pic before I take it away. LOL
kcs_mom
Noble County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
4:37 AM

Post #7555281

Enid~ He'll play with the hose...

He might eat the dirt...

Probably won't eat the worms, just smoosh em...

Here's my baldy, took him a couple years to grow any hair, but he still loves the hose!

Thumbnail by kcs_mom

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7555750

Im going to try something a little different with the scramble this time...If you plan to join in the scramble dmail with the name of a plant that you would like to have that you can find in the plant files and send me the Latin name of it. I iwll fill you in on the rest of the game ...as it comes to me!!!
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 13, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7555872

I run a local mom's group, so occassionally I let my hobby and my mom duties intertwine. Anthony (almost 3) helps in the garden, mostly picking carrots, but I am hoping that this spring, he'll understand more and can plant stuff, etc.

I'm bummed this morning because I went to check my wintersown plants this morning. I had big strong squash seedlings that I was going to plant out this weekend once it quit raining and they are all wilty from the cold. The cucumber ones aren't looking too hot either. We are never this cold this late into Feb. I'm thinking I might pinch the wilted leaves and plant them anyway. I have more seeds and can start again, but I was trying to get them big and tough to stand up to the squash borers.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2010 8:39 AM
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 13, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7555877

Marti, that should do it. :)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7555883

Thank you. By the way, I see that you want Job's Tears. Have you got any yet?
I have an order that will enclude Job's Tears next month. I'll get 25 seeds, If you are still looking I can seed you 10 seeds when they come in.

Marti
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 13, 2010
3:00 PM

Post #7555929

That wasn't me on the job's tears. Looks like a neat plant though.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7556222

Sorry. Mixed up people.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7556514

Hey everyone.. I hope your having a great weekend..Things here have been busy.. Extra kids and oldest one worried about getting over to girlfriends house.. They are going to a sweetheart banquet tonight at church..2 more months and he can drive himself yipeeeeee...We did get a little bit of snow Thursday night, about an inch.. Kids were excited but mad that it wsant enough to keep them from going to school the next day..Of course it was all melted by 10 am the next day...Take care talk soon Trish
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
12:45 AM

Post #7557152

Everybody must be watching the Olympics..I am, too.

Al
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7558104

Morning Al nope I'm just being lazy this morning then it's off to knit and knit and knit some more.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7558125

Happy Valentine's Day All - Have a great Day!!

I picked these just for you!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7558178

Oh Thank You Al just beautiful. Yep we have been watching Olypmics. I like them but DH is going to burn me out on them watching them all day everyday for 2 weeks.
Wasn't that terrible about the boy from Georgia getting killed . They say that he was going to fast to control his sled. I find that hard to believe since it was built for the speed.

Got to see us get our first Gold too!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7558232

Happy Valentines day all.. I want to let you all know my son 13 got burned in a gas explosion yesterday could have been worse but is bad.. He is in childrens hospital on a respirator they are going to keep him on it for 3-5 days to allow swelling to decrease inhis throat from inhaling the flames..he has 2nd degree burns all on his face both his hands are 3rd degree and they are going to do surgerry on them one day this coming week..Rt ear has 3rd degree burns.. arms and legs have 2nd degree burns.. So please keep him in your prayers.. Hopefully I can keep you all updated we are about 180 miles from home, so fun fun for me.. hugs Trish..
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7558242

Oh My Lord Trish, I will defintely keep you all in prayers and hope everything goes well for him.
xoxoxoxo
Carolyn
seray53

February 14, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7558283

Morning Everyone! Happy Valentines Day!

We have you in our prayers Trish. We'll be watching for your posts.

Thanks for the flowers Al. Very pretty.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 14, 2010
3:18 PM

Post #7558306

Thanks for the flowers! They are beautiful!

Trish, I am so sorry about your son. I know the world of hurt you must be in right now. Prayers for you, your son, and your family.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7558425

Trish you all are in our prayers hope he comes through it well.

Al thank you for the beautiful flowers.

enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 14, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7558464

Oh my Trish, we will be praying for you all!!

Al, the flowers are beautiful! DH went to town and got me an apple fritter for V-Day. They are my favorite.

Busy day today - did absolutely nothing yesterday - BF came and picked me up we went to lunch and then to our favorite spot for cold beer. We had a great time, not real popular with our Hubby's today but they will get over it. There were a bunch of hot little 20 something boys there, we played with them for hours! They were good sports while the old ladies were giving them a hard time.

Going to do some more WS containers today - I have milk jugs all over the kitchen table. Amazing how fast they add up when there is a baby in the house on whole milk.

Happy Valentines Day all - I love each and every one of you - hope you have a wonderful love filled day!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7558539

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! And thanks for the beautiful flowers, Al... How thoughtful!

Trish - I'm so sorry about your son! I pray for a speedy recovery for him and for strength for your family during this time. I know it has to be rough on you.

Kelly

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7558782

Prayers are with you and the little boy.
hang in there. We love you
Charleen, Charley and the donkey tribe..
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 14, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7558817

trish will keep you and your son in our prayers. god bless you. al love the flowers thank you. nettie
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7558834

Trish ,
I am so sorry . I don't even know the words , the pain you are feeling has to be huge. I am thinking of you and yours. Godspeed to you all.
Robin
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7558994

Trish, tell your son I keeping him in my thoughts and send him good vibes.

Marti
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
9:39 PM

Post #7559127

Trish, Praying for your son's recovery and for strength for your family at this time. Will be waiting for updates. Let him know we are all sending positive thoughts and prayers his way.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

February 14, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7559277

HAPPY VALENTINES ALLL

nice flowers Al, soooo pretty and cheery

trish, my prayers are with you and your son, i kinda know what you are dealing with, my niece fell in my firepit last year, and burnt her foot pretty bad, i was there with her, and my brother and sister in law. you have a long road ahead but i will be praying daily. take care.

i got tulips for valentines day yipppeee any one know how to care for them, ??????
blondie

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
1:35 AM

Post #7559615

Hi Blondie - after your tulips die back naturally you can replant the spent bulbs in your garden to recharge for next year. Many tulip bulbs are already "forced" for greenhouse growing. Some will come back, others are pretty well spent and may not. I have planted several that rebloomed here over the years rather than just waste them, but in NY we have a natural freeze thaw cycle that tulips like. I'd give it a try and see, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Al
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2010
1:56 AM

Post #7559655

Thank you all for your prayers..I got to be in the room when the burn team done the dressing tonight .. He will definetly have to have surgery on his right hand and right arm, but I think his left fingers will heal ok after they removed the dead skin today..His face remains very swollen, but the burns are 2nd degree and the face heals quickly so praying for a quick recovery there.. His ear is pretty bad, very swollen.. I dont think it will be as quick to heal, but then again its just above the heart with good circulation so we will pray pray pray for quick recovery there.. His lower leg and calf area is 2nd degree burns.. All in all it could have been alot worse..My heart goes out to him tho, even as far sedated as he is, I could tell he was in alot of pain when they were cleaning the wounds..They kept giving him medicine.. Breaks my heart to see them hurt like that tho.. Hope you all have a great night.. Hugs...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 15, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7560352

Mornin' all! 23 here now hight today of 39 but the wind is gonna blow so no goin' outside for me today. Dangit anyway, I have spray painting to do. Oh well, guess that will have to wait for another day.

Huney, so glad to hear your son is hangin' in there. I can't imagine going through the scrubbing for burns to heal. Praying for a quick recovery for him.

Everybody have a great President's day - kids are out of school so won't get much done with baby here - but I bet we have a good time!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7560538

President's day is right-no mail. I had mail to send out too.
Good Morning Lori, we have rain and it is 37 here.
That corkscrew willow has new leaves. It loves it in my house.
I got to check for roots too.
Hugs and Nuzzles and Prayers for the boy.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7560644

Glad to hear your son is hanging in there huney, You hang in there too . Keeping you all in my prayers.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
3:08 PM

Post #7560737

Good Morning,
Trish please do not hesitate to call on us, we are always here for you.
Good Morning Everyone.
Blonde did you tell Jan if she doesn't make an appearance soon I am sending snowballs her way?
It wont be pretty if I have to travel down there with snowballs!!Tell her I said so ok?
seray53

February 15, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7561152

Morning Everyone!

Hope you have a good President's Day!

Huney you have infinite support here. We're all rooting for you and your son. Let us know if we can do anything for you.

Hugs to all
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7561975

Trish, our thoughts & prayers are with you & family. Will send
some Reiki to him. Years ago my son knocked a kettle off the stove so I know changing dressings even months from now is
still going to be hard to bear for everyone.

This may sound bizarre but get rest while you can. You'll
be the primary caretaker when he gets home & it will drain
you fast!

Hugs
Cris

seray53

February 16, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7564370

Afternoon Everyone!

Hope you're having a good day! Cold here and sunny. I'm ready for spring. Enough already!

Hugs
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7564394

Hello everyone. I'm Erin ,from Upstate NY. Wishing that Spring was here today! Sick of the snow, watching the birds helps though. I want to get out in the garden and start digging! :)
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 16, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7564417

Hi Erin!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7564421

Hi Erin - good to have another NYer on board. I think we're all ready for warmer weather, Spring is only about a month away!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7564440

Hi Erin! Welcome!

Kelly
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7564443

I'm sooo glad we didn't get the winter storm we were suppose to get today. I just want it all to start melting away! :)
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7564446

Hi Kelly! oooohh, Phoenix, is it warm there. I bet its warmer than it is here! haha.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7564449

Hi sapphire! Nice to talk with you all!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7564453

Yup - mid 70s today, upper 70s by Friday...

We really didn't have a winter besides 2 cold days in early December. I say cold I mean 25-30 - hardly cold for all you northren peeps - lol - but real cold for us!
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7564477

that would be a heat wave for us,lol. I wouldn't mind 70's at all!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7564485

lol - Erin. I grew up in northern Maine, so I know all about that cold winter and praying for spring to hurry up and arrive...

Do I miss it? Seriously? NO!

But I do miss the fun stuff you can do in the snow - skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing.

A lot of my family still lives there and they have had a relatively mild winter compared to what they usually get...
seray53

February 16, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7564907

Welcome Erin

Glad to have you on board! We're all ready to get out in the garden that's for sure.

I'm gathering a bunch of little semps Loca. Do you grow them?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7564936

Never grown them, but I'm sure lots of people here do. They are a type of succulent, no?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7565087

Hi Erin,
Nice to meet you...Hi Kel ,Seray who else is here? I know about cold I am still in Maine!!
Did you send for your newbie package Erin? I have a daughter named Erin too.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7565094

I'm not sure. Where would I go to do that? Hello to everyone. Getting the kiddies ready for bath time and then bed!
seray53

February 16, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7565142

They are a succulent Loca. Hens and chickens kinda. Lots of new varieties and colors. Did any of your CP seeds come up? I have the same kind I sent you and I don't see anything yet.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
12:24 AM

Post #7565206

No CP babies - kinda having deja vu like with the brug seeds - lol...
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
12:34 AM

Post #7565222

where would I go to sign up for the newbie package?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
12:36 AM

Post #7565229

Welcome Erin make yourself right at home with us.

Direction for free seed here
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
12:38 AM

Post #7565236

Thank You Mindy. Did you find it Erin? If you need help Dmail me
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 17, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7565329

What are you gathering Seray?? I have Donkey Ears, Burros Tail, String of Bananas...are those the same thing? Don't know what Semps means - you know, I'm not real bright.

Welcome Erin - glad you found us.

As for everyone else, you guys sure have been quite! What is everybody up to? You would think it was spring or something - everybody is taking leave of their computers.

I have been trying to finish my bathroom project - seems everything I touch needs to be fixed or changed, deep cleaned or something! This has been the very worst painting project I have ever taken on! Of course, I am spoiled, when my dad was alive, he would take care of all the fix it stuff and trim in the paint for me so all I had to do was roll. Gosh I miss him - had I known I was going to have to be my own handyman someday, I would have paid more attention!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
1:25 AM

Post #7565355

I hear that Enid...I started remodeling 1 yr ago this month.. It still isn't done!! And it seems everything needs something else before the thing that is getting remodeled even gets started
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7565372

I don't want to hear the word remodel. We've been at it for 2 years and its still not done Actually he (husband) is working on it rightnow. He says that it will all be done by the end of march, we'll see. When all said and done I will have a whole new kitchen and dining room. yay.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
2:02 AM

Post #7565441

Yeah me too kitchen and dining room Yay is right Third contractor, Do you think I am too hard to work for maybe?
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7565460

I'm glad my husband is the contractor!
seray53

February 17, 2010
2:27 AM

Post #7565510

I think those are Sedums Enid but not sure. The Sempervivum's are hens and chickens. I don't know much about them but they will make a tapestry ground cover in my Goth garden. If I"m lucky. LOL

The sundew seeds I sent you Loca needed heat to germinate. It may not be hot enough here or there yet. Don't give up on them. I want some of those and if they don't come up we'll try again. I have baby sundews getting bigger to send you soon along with the S minor that Blondie (bless her heart!) sent us. Waiting for them to come out of dormancy. You too Enid if you're doing Goth or a bog. The other sundews seeds are coming up.

I miss Mekos. I looked and looked for a Maxine card. Couldn't find one. But I found a little book. I'll send that. Want me to sign your names to a page? LOL How about "People my age still enjoy a passionate sex life, provided we get cable". Or "The women in romance novels ought to throw a fit instead of heaving a bosom"

I figured we get her caught up with Maxine and if we don't hear from her next month we'll do something else.

Have a good eve! Check back later.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7565531

Hope it works Seray !!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7565540

lol - seray... This week is in the 70s. Maybe I should put the seeds outside - hee hee hee... I'm trying to find a sort of shady area for a little bog garden. Most places in my yard would fry the plants I think. This summer sun here is so brutal. Do you think the CP and sundews will do ok in a shady spot?

I don't have cable, so maybe the throwing a fit page would be good for me - lol.
seray53

February 17, 2010
3:05 AM

Post #7565597

Right now I think they need sun Loca. In the heat of the summer they probably would adjust over time and I'd say partial shade until then. As long as the water is not too hot I think they would be ok. An Alabama swamp is hot in july. It's the humidity they would lack and you can provide that. I'll do some research to find out. I'm curious myself.

"Throwing a fit" is yours. dmail me your sentiments if you want me to include that.

Here's another one: "If it weren't for fishing gravity would be the only thing tugging on my bobbers"

"I found a great way to save energy. I still kick butts but I don't take names"

OK That's about all I can take tonight. Remember all those Maxine emails. LOL I can only take so much at one time. Like one a century!

For all you Newbies Mekos is a long time member who's been off line for awhile. We're working every angle to get her back on. We sent her cards and were nice. Now for the big guns. LOL She sent us endless Maxine emails. Pay back. LOL We miss her. If you'd like to join feel free she has the biggest heart and would love it. She'll write another letter once she gets the book.

Hugs
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7565725

hi guys I hadaquiet second so I decided to touch base withyou all again. Caleb is still on the ventilator..Hopefully they can take him off it on Thursday or friday.Theywont do surgery on his hand andarmuntil he hs beenoff the vent for a few days..So prob early next week..They arekeeping him very sedated to prevent him from struggling with the tubes down his throat..The 1st degreeburns are showing signsof improvement..He is running a fever for the last 2 days..No infection so guess its from the heat of the burns..Please continue to prayfor him..Im hoping we getto go home in about ten days..hopeyou all are doingwell I sure do miss you..sorry for mistakes im typing from my phone..Trish
seray53

February 17, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7565785

Glad to hear from you Trish. We have you both in our prayers. Good news to see some improvement. Type when you can. We're always glad for the updates. We miss you too. Please be careful driving!

Hugs
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
4:47 AM

Post #7565835

We are all praying for you and sending warm comforting thoughts your way. Be careful and take care of yourself to Trish. Will be watching for you. Hugs
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7565882

Trish, your son is important but so are you. Be sure that you take a moment now and than to stop, take a deep breath and let it out! You will find that it really can help you.
Hugs and good thoughts to you and Caleb.

Marti
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7566256

Morning !
Welcome aboard Erin, Stick around and you will have some fun here. You never know what these gals and 1 guy will do next. LOL
Huney,glad to here about the improvement with your son and that he continues to get better.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7566347

HI Everyone Huney glad to hear Caleb is improving prayers that he continues to improve. Be sure to take some quiet time for yourself to recharge. And how are the other boys and your DH doing?

Enid I've been quiet cause I'm working on some designs for 2 sweaters and a wall hanging. Got the hard part done now to start the crocheting and knitting to see if my brain knows what the heck it's doing.

Here's pictures of the last hat and scarf I made.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
2:06 PM

Post #7566349

The scarf which I'm not really happy with but oh well I got tired of fooling with it.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

seray53

February 17, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7566596

Morning Everyone!

Both look warm and comfortable Mindy! Hat is cool. Hope everyone has a nice day. Is anyone outside digging in this cold. LOL I need to plant some things while they are still dormant. Need motivation I think. Nine hydrangeas and need to move two climbing roses. Any ideas?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7566614

Good morning peeps...

seray - never thought about the Alabama swamp being hot - lol. Humidity I definitely do lack, so will be interested to see what you find out. I will d-mail you my message for mekos in a minute.

Trish - hang in there! Caleb is improving and that is great news. He will definitely need you to be strong and in order to be that you need to take care of yourself too and try to get some rest, as hard as it is. You and your family are in my prayers...

Oh, and I see our talented Mindy is at it again...

Hi flower aka waterbird - lol. I haven't been on the other site as much as I'd like. I have a hard enough time keeping up with Dave's - lol...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7566618

seray - it's going to be like 76 here today... Are you all still freezing?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
4:01 PM

Post #7566634

Gees - I'm going to find a hot tub to sit in... until my toes thaw out.

Al
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7566766

oh how I wish it was warm here. Its snowing. BRR

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7566767

I sure hope your toes get warm, AL.
Good Morning everyone. Trish , you and Caleb in our prayers.
We supposed to be getting warmer at the end of the week. I hope so.
But it is a beautiful day. Already been to mailbox.
RRM
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7566851

All envies in my possession filled and returned!!
Thinking of you Hunney.
Mindy I honestly do not know how you start and complete so fast. It seems like I dont get from here to the other site and back again and you have another project completed and you have started a new one. Superwoman I think...
Have a good day everyone...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7566886

LOL Robin it's like this too cold to garden, no more space in plant room to play in until it warms up, housework doesn't interest me, only go to town for exercise and groceries and to check on the lady who go that set 3 times a week so I have lots of time to play with yarn right now. My family while very larger is good enough not to bug me half to death and it helps I live in another county from all of them. My best friend is stuck at home and busy with her dad so she's not been bugging me much lately either. But boy when she does call she talks and talks and talks.
Today I start the cancer afghan to see how it's going to work out. Wish me luck this is strictly from my own imagination.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7566913

Good Luck Mindy!!!
seray53

February 17, 2010
8:49 PM

Post #7567285

HI Loca 28 last night. Shouldn't be long now.

Our winter is like everyone else's early spring north of here. Rainy, sunny, breezy, 70 than 40 during the day. It's like 4-5 months of spring! Then it gets hot. The leaves change and fall and then two months later the trees begin to bud. My spring bulbs come up in Dec and Jan. I lived in Fl over 20 years and I'm confused. LOL

I have learned not to start my veggies until the middle of April. The rest is hit and miss. We'll see how it all comes together this year. What will take it what won't etc. May just be a perpetual clean up! Or a really real Goth garden. LOL I bet it was hard to move from Maine to AZ. I would love the southwest I always collected cacti, succulents and rocks. I love the colors!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
9:38 PM

Post #7567424

Yeah, Maine to Arizona was like the biggest culture shock of my life - lol. But I love both places and both places you can grow things you can't grow in the other. People outside AZ have zone envy, but please remember so do we - all those high chill hour requirements we can't meet or full sun plants you can grow that we kill in shade. It's nice to garden year round, but the trade off is suffering through the summer - you and your plants!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
9:59 PM

Post #7567486

locakelly,
I know what you mean about culture shock. I moved from year round gardening in Calif. to Kentucky. I couldn't even start getting the yard ready till this spring. With a 1/2 acre that has had nothing done with it, except mowing the pasture grass down, for 10 - 15 years. The soil is clay and sticky as all get out. I'm trying to add compost by collecting leaves around the neighborhood til no more leaves and I'm trying to buy a truck load of sand to turn into the soil. Than I can get the yard planted. Till than most stuff is going into containers.

Marti

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7567501

California to Kentucky - that is definitely a culture shock - lol. You must get cabin fever really bad when you're used to being able to work outside all year. What stinks here is we don't have a lot of trees that drop leaves, so hard to come by for the compost pile or lasagna beds sometimes. Maine there were trees everywhere! Here I have to snag some from a park or ask on freecycle. My BIL is a landscaper and he will sometimes bring me leaves, but if they've used chemicals on them they can't go into the compost since my veggies are organic. In that case I'll use them in a lasagna bed or as mulch on ornamentals.

Kelly
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
10:13 PM

Post #7567534

I guess I'm lucky here. LOTS! LOTS of trees. People in the neighborhood were very happy to let me have their leaves. I got over 50 large trash bags full of leaves. I'm also doing some lasagna beds for the first time. I've collected newspapers and cardboard for my lasagna beds.

Because of a back injury and bad knees, I can't do much digging or geting down on the ground to plant, so raised beds are the answer. I also want to try some strawbale gardening. I found a place to get wheat straw and am wondering how that will work, plus next year I can turn the straw into the soil. It will take me a couple of years, but I'll get this ground really ready for some serious gardening.

Marti
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 17, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7567543

Robin, that's great! I can't wait to get my seeds! I was just wondering about them earlier today. :) I wish our weather would make up its mind. 30, then 70, and back to 30 again. I lost a bunch of seedlings to damping off with all the bloody rain in my wintersowing containers. :( I have to restart them this week. I'll probably stop and get another roll of duct tape this afternoon since mine seems to have developed legs! I'll bet its in the kiddo's favorite hiding spot.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7567551

Sounds like you have a good plan in place Marti. It just takes time. My yard has hardly anything in it and sometimes when you look at something like that you get overwhelmed. I just try to take it little areas at a time. Plus all my great peeps have sent me plants and seeds, so that helps. By the time I'm done maybe I'll have a little area dedicated to all my friends from Dave's.

sapphire - duct tape disappears in my house of 3 boys as well - lol. Always looking for that dang stuff...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7567590

Yes, most people at DG have been very thoughtful in their gifts of seeds to me and in the swaps. I've made arrangements to get 40 daylilies at $1.00 each plus postage. There will be named and unnamed lilies. I don't care, I just want daylilies.

Marti

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
12:24 AM

Post #7567869

That's a great deal Marti! Hope you get some beauties!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7568103

Great Marti!! Good find!!
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
1:50 AM

Post #7568120

Marti, where did you find a great deal like that!?
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 18, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7569158

So I was in Walmart last night after the aforementioned roll of duct tape. I walked through the garden department (in my defense, it was on the way to hardware) and saw a rack of 20-cent seeds. Not a lot of selection or variety, nor were there a ton of seeds in the packet, but for someone who just wanted to try something out without investing in an entire packet, the price was right. I got acorn squash, butternut squash, jalepenos, and I forget right now what else.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7569303

Nice score on the seeds, sapphire!

At that price you can afford to try some new varieties.

Kelly

P.S. Did you get the duct tape? LOL
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 18, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7569524

Hi all! Seray, goes to show you how little I know - I thought the hen and chicks were in the same category as the sedums I have. I thought they were sedums but didn't know what semps were. Now I know!

I have decided I am gonna start teaching the one yr old all about plants. That way when gma forgets what she is doing, little guy can fill her in. LOL I figure if I start now by explaining what plant he is eating the dirt out of, by the time he is five he will know more than me. If I start him young, when he is my age, he won't have to try to figure all this out!! I have been looking for hen and chick starts, is there a good, reasonable source out there somewhere? Everything I have found is $6.00 for just the little start then there is shipping - makes one little hen pretty expensive!! Maybe I should scout the town and go steal starts at night - then I could go to jail with Mekos. Think they would let us share a cell??
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7569653

Or you can just dmail me and when spring lets mine show through I will trade you a handful for something...
seray53

February 18, 2010

Post #7569661

Hi Enid, Good plan with the kids. The sooner they can dig the better. ;)

I just got a bunch of hens and chickens (semps) from mamajacks coop. It's closed now and they'll deliver in April. I may have left overs. They were a $1 apiece. If I use them all I'll share when they have babies. Normally they are about $4 - $6. Check the coop here they may have one going. That's the only way to get a variety with reasonable prices that I've found. I'll see if I can find another one for you.
seray53

February 18, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7569664

They might let you share cells for a night but that's all. Maybe you could break her out! LOL
seray53

February 18, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7569680

Couldn't find a coop here for you Enid. Looks like they are restructuring them a little. We'll just have to bag it around town. Just kidding. There'd be witch revival trials if you, Mekos and I were in the same jail cell.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2010

Post #7569726

Trials they wouldn't dare!!
seray53

February 18, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7569919

LOL You mean they'd just hunt up the wood.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 18, 2010
9:09 PM

Post #7569985

loca, I did make it out with the duct tape. I needed it for wintersowing containers, so I was motivated. LOL. I am so like that though...go in the store for one thing, get distracted, and go home without what I came for.

Tonight, since hubby is at school instead of hogging the kitchen table, I will be making more wintersowing containers. :D He also gave me my potting bench back, so now I have a better place to put them.

Erin, I am totally teaching my son, who is almost three. He loves to pull carrots. Can't get him to eat them yet, but we'll get there. Right now he likes to dig in my veggie gardens LOL. But he is always excited to check the wintersown containers to see if there are new plants in there.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
9:18 PM

Post #7570015

Glad you made it out alive, and with your duct tape to boot! I can't count the # of times I went to the store for something and found this fabulous deal and left without what I went for in the first place... Grrrrrrr! Happened the other day. Went for birdseed and now can't even remember what distracted me, but I left without the dang birdseed.

Good to teach your babies when they are young. My little boys (well if you call 8 & 10 little - lol) love to pick peas and carrots and broccoli and eat it straight out in the garden. It's nice that they know where food comes from (and it's not the grocery store...).

Some of you know this, some of you don't, but I work for a very large beef production facility, so I can tell you all that your meat definitely does not come from the grocery story either, contrary to popular belief...

sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 18, 2010
9:22 PM

Post #7570023

My family is a ranching family, so I know my meat does not come from the grocery store...but I prefer not to think about that. I've always said I'd probably be a vegetarian if I had to see the process.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7570062

HI Everyone LOL at the forget what you went to the store for stories DH just went through a spell of forgetting to get sugar 3 times in a row. What was funny was he would tell me ahead of time to get it and I'd remind him at the store but he still forgot it. I ended up writing it on my grocery list and he was able to remember everything I wrote down then.

Pretty weather here today sunshine melted most of the snow so may go for a short walk with the dogs in a bit. Half way on the wall hanging background doing it first then going to make the cancer ribbons and attach somehow or other. Bought the yarn for the girls sweathers today so that will be ready to go soon also.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7570097

Mindy,

We got a heat wave going on 43 degrees and sun shine.
maybe spring is just around the corner!!!

Marti

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7570100

sapphirestar19 wrote:I've always said I'd probably be a vegetarian if I had to see the process.

It's not that bad, though personally I try not to think about it either. I grew up in farm country and we hunted and all that, so guess it's pretty normal to me - lol.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
9:41 PM

Post #7570102

Wow! 43? That is for sure a KY heat wave - lol. Hopefully it melts any snow you all have.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7570115

Snows just about gone. I've been out gun hunting. I'm going to buy a rifle and go deer hunting this year. I need meat in the freezer and can not eat beef. I get really sick if I try to eat anything with beef in it. Makes me mad also. Before 1990, I could eat beef once a week and I loved medium rare steak smothered in onions and mushroom. Since 1990, I have not been able to eat any at all. The smell of cooking beef will send me running for a trash can. Very embrassing!!

I get my fishing license the end of this month and than its off to catch dinner. Yum!!

Marti
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 18, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7570123

My dad never hunted. My husband hunts and fishes, but has yet to be successful since we have gotten married. I grew up in suburbia, but we went up to the ranch in North Dakota any summer we could.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7570134

Best dinner ever is one you caught/shot yourself - lol. We always had a freezer full of deer and rabbit, sometimes bear and moose... Nothing like it!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7570221

What I find strange is that in Calif. you could hunt squirrels for the fun of it year round. Here in Ky they have a squirrel hunting season. Plus they have a coyote hunting season. I was raised that if your not going to eat it don't shoot it, Not unless you or someone near you is in immediate danger of being hurt. ie: bear attack, mt lion attack. I don't like the taste of bear meat and not hungrey enough to go after a mt lion. When I hunt I don't look for the big trophy buck. I'm after meat for the table so will take a younger buck as long as it a legal kill.

Marti
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 18, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7570322

By Golly, I know where my beef comes from! We are spoiled for sure. DH is from Iowa, still has a friend there that feeds out heifers for his family. We buy one every year and go up and get it. We look a bit like the Beverly Hillbillys when we go too. Two chest deep freezes in the back with chains around them so we can lock them up. We pick up meat on Sat. home on Sun. Keep deep freezes plugged in at motel over night. We get a lot of really strange looks - but you can't beat the beef and it is cheaper than buying from the grocery store; motel room, gas and all.

Love to hunt, hate deer meat! Makes me more of a woods walker than I hunter I guess. LOL

5:30 p.m. and 60 outside, really windy though - can't enjoy being out there today.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7570375

LOL Marti yep it's a heat wave for KY most of the snow has melted here which is unusual since where I'm at it usually hangs on longer. Bad news is spring's not that close yet sorry good news is ground is warmer than it was LOL which means the next snow we get won't take as long to melt once it warms up again.

sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 19, 2010
1:54 PM

Post #7571335

Robin, my seeds came yesterday. :D I am so excited. Lots of cool stuff in there. I think I am most excited about the sea holly. It looks like a fun plant and perfect for my backyard. I have a bed full of blue plumbago that would match with that perfectly. The lovage is going straight into a wintersowing container to go into the herb/lettuce/tomato garden.

Hubby thought that it was hilarious that I was waaay more excited about the seeds than I was about the two refund checks that arrived with them in the mail. LOL.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7571952

Hi ya all,
Well it was warm here yesterday but sure didn't take a lot of the snow off. Drive way is still a mess and wish it would melt enough that we can get it fixed enough to get in it.
Mindy don't get to excited about the snow being gone because we're suppose to get more tomorrow and some Sun and Mon and they say the one coming in on Sun will be a substantial amount.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 19, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7572027

Howdy all - just hanging out waitin' for spring! It is not coming fast enough for me!!!

I don't see where Nettie has posted lately - are you here? Who else is missing? Where is everybody?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7572109

LOL Flower I know we are due another snow online for this area is just giving rain, radio and TV are giving the snow LOL It's nice here today and soon as I get off of here I'm off to play with my seeds and take the dogs for a walk.

I'm happy to report that I'm now 7.5 pounds and 4 inches slimmer in 5 weeks of working out at Curves. Best reinforcement I could get for eating all that extra food LOL.

OH and here's the third doll bag holder I just finished putting together this morning.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 19, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7572267

enid my feelings are hurt, a couple of you have been chicken hunting and i wasn,t ask. i wouldn,t have gone cause im afraid of the dark. but if i see any hens or chickens runing around ill be sure and let you all know. would be a lovely day if the wind would lay down somewhere. it causes me to drag out the hankies. the super center in ft smith has yellow spider lily bulbs got me 6 couldn,t help myself. boy im weak minded. just lurking around nettie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7572295

Glad to see you all are keeping warm! Congratulations on the weight loss Mindy and keep up the good work!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7572402

Mindy, the doll is so cute.To cute to put to work.
What Chickens??? I got chickens. Have to keep them under "lock and key" nearly to keep the critters away. but they are so worth it.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7572412

Cute chicken RRM! They are on my must have list; we're hoping to have some before summer.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7572516

Thank you Loca and RRM. Speaking of Chickens I placed an order for 25 baby chicks to arrive the week of April 19th and am hoping to place another order for a May delivery. All hens and all brown egg layers. Both orders are assorted breeds so don't know yet what we will end up with.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #7572542

Oh Mindy that is so cool! I can't wait to get chickens - lol - in the city no less...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 20, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7573107

They got these things called "Chicken Tractors" So neat. You can get a couple of chickens and put them in there, even hav a place for the nest. roll them all over the yard to feed them grass. Have you all seen them. Sort of expesive but nice. I have a covered pen to keep the Varmits out. My chickens seem happy. I hope they are.
Mindy, you are going to love them .
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 20, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7573144

I said something to Dh last night about thinking about chickens and he gave me the "are you off your rocker" look. He's been giving that one to me a lot. Just because I insisted that the carrot greens did not go in the trash can and needed to go in the compost bucket...sheesh...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7573941

HI Everyone supposed to be another pretty day but darn it's cold out this morning.
Loca I know some people who keep chickens in town they stay off the road but roam in the neighbors yards. Fortunately the neighbors don't mind since they get free eggs LOL.
RRM I have chickens now different breeds but they are aging so we are restocking with fresh young ones this year. Don't have any roosters because DH fights with them everytime I have one so I gave up on them. They get agressive with him or he doesn't like the way they treat the hens. Of all the roosters I've had only one attacked me on a daily basis I swear I think he just hung around the yard waiting for me to show up so he could take a run and hit attack. Bruised me a few times but not too bad. Then there was the one who didn't like my shoes attacked them everytime I went in the coop to gather eggs.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7574046

Good Morning Everyone,
I see we are talking chickens, thats good I am planning to have a few when spring arrives. Is that the best time to start? How long does it take to get eggs and what happens in the winter what do you do with the chickens? I have thrown a disk I am afraid so I will be mostly flat for a few days, I will peek in when I can.
Robin

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7574260

Mindy - we have a corner lot so our yards are pretty big. And the backyard is entirely surrounded by a 6' block wall. So unless the chickens can fly over the wall with a clipped wing, not too many worries about them harrassing the neighbors. We only have neighbors on one side and that house hs been vacant for a while - another victim of the foreclosure situation.

Robin - here is the best site ever about raising chickens. I've also taken classes through the Permaculture Guild here - they offer excellent classes on all kinds of stuff.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010

Post #7574759

just for fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOrjcLJ2IE0&feature=related

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2010
1:52 AM

Post #7575568

Those are great!!!!
Robin, get better so you can get those chickens. Got to carry them food and water, winter, summer Spring and Fall.
got mine in March or April and had eggs in the fall. But they sure are good eggs. You really don't need roosters for the hens to lay. they have a pecking order just like those dog-gone Longears, not to mention the dogs...☺
I love my chickens have two roosters, they don't bother me.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
2:06 AM

Post #7575605

We can't have roosters in the city limits, though someone in my neighborhood does... I hear cock-a-doodle-doo quite often in the early morning hours - lol...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2010
2:08 AM

Post #7575614

They are noisey, but so pretty. Strutting around. I live out in the country, so no problem.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 21, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7575832

I WANT TO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY! I hate the City's rules and regulations for my property! They can kiss Mrs. Edward's big ole behind (if I ever get her done). It amazes me that you have to have permission to put a building where you want to. When I put in the candle shop, I had to draw out the property and exactly where the building was going to go - wait two weeks for them to decide if it could go there because I don't have a "back" yard. I could go on, and on, and on... and I probably will but not right now.

I WANT CHICKENS!! I am just an ole country girl. I happen to know it is not absolutely necessary to have a rooster to have eggs. DH however watched a Dirty Jobs episode and knows that you get brown eggs from having a rooster; they taste like crap if they don't get fertilized before they are laid. I really like the chicken tractor idea! That would work for me - not sure DH would be much help cleaning out a coop - would he know the difference between the poop and the eggs?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7576362

What are your chickens riding the tractor Enid? My turkeys hang at the tractor I posted pictures somewhere
See you all soon
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7576494

Enid I just had to laugh at the brown eggs needing to be fertilized to taste good. All my hens are brown egg layers and no rooster in sight and their eggs taste just like the ones we got when we did have a rooster. Heck I even get 3 green eggs from 3 of the girls. And Mekos gets green, blue and pink ones I'm jealous of her blue and pink pout everytime I order those hens that lay those colors all I get is green.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7576550

LOL I think the chickens that lay the different coloed eggs are beautiful. Aren't they the Chinese or Japanese chickens or something along those lines? I like the Bantam chickens. The roosters are so colorful.
seray53

February 21, 2010
3:15 PM

Post #7576709

I want Chickens! No No no you don't. Yes I love fresh eggs. No no remember what happens if they get stuck. Doesn't happen very often. And then there's all the clean up. yea but they eat all the bugs, Yea and your plants. Yea but the little fancy chicken tractors are so cool looking. Yeah and you are so skilled at carpentry you can barely glue pvc together and use the electrical ties to hold what didn't glue. Yeah but my DH will build it for me. Case closed.

Any one want to sell some fresh eggs?

Love you guys!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010

Post #7576923

seray - rotflol - that's funny!

The chickens that lay the colored eggs are Araucanas/Americanas... Some people call them Easter Egg Chickens - lol. Fresh eggs are soooooooooooo good and the yolks soooooooooo yellow, well. more like almost orange. I have a friend who brings me eggs from her friend often and they are so yum!

I want some Araucanas and good 'ol Rhode Island Reds...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7577009

FOR BLONDIE:

Finally, my orchid is blooming...

Here's a pic just for you!

Thumbnail by locakelly

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7577090

hey guys...love that orchid...Aquick update on my son Caleb. He is scheduled for surgery and skin graphs in am..His burns are looking good.. His face is amazing how nice it has healed.. just miraculous.. Thanks for all your prayers... They think they an use his skin for the graphs tomorrow which is great and should mean only one surgery..He will have to stay in hospital another 7 days after that and if all is healing as it should be he will be discharged home.. lots of love Trish

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7577208

Trish, that is excellent news! I'm so happy to hear it! Kids are tough and heal much quicker than adults. The face is full of blood vessels and can heal amazingly fast if there is little damage to the vessels. Please keep us updated on Caleb's progress.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7577311

Trish, will keep good thoughts coming as your son has surgery and continues to heal.

Marti
seray53

February 21, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7577527

Great News Trish! I can hear the relief in your voice. Hugs and prayers continue!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2010
10:48 PM

Post #7577573

God bless Trish!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2010
11:43 PM

Post #7577676

That is great news Trish.
Well you all will have to wait awhile longer to see the wall hanging LOL it's been so nice outside today I spent it in the plant room transplanting babies and walking the dogs. I do have everything ready to wash before I attach the ribbons on. Hopefully, DH will feel well enough to get out from under my feet tomorrow.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2010
12:03 AM

Post #7577729

That is great Trish, glad he is on the road to recovery. How are you doing??
Mindy, got to take advantage of this great weather whenever we can. We be here when it is ready.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7578538

Morning,
Trish,so glad to hear things are getting better for your son and hope all is well with the surgery.

Well we finally got rid of most of the snow here. Been raining since yesterday evening. Not a hard rain but just light and steady. Now maybe I can get in and out of the drive way LOL Suppose to have some snow this afternoon but will only be a dusting.
Looks like the weather is making it's change for the year . Fingers crossed.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 22, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7578789

Seray - you are probably right, I don't need chickens very bad. I really don't know how DH can be so smart in some areas and so dumb in others! He is from a farming community - you would think he would know better. Still insists he is right about brown eggs - case closed - he is a chicken idiot and I give up trying to educate him. God love him, he tries sometimes - although he flat wears me out!!

Hope all is going well for everyone - cold and windy here - wind chill not expected to be above 20 all day - 27 now - have to go to town too - yuck!

Have a great day - will check in later.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 23, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7580830

rrm i left you a question over in another forum about false lupeine, when you have time let me know what you think. id hate for it to run over into oklahoma. might make me go dig it out. nettie
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7580916

Thats a long Dig Nettie!! Better get the tractor running!!
Hugs to you all

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7581560

Nettie, i missed the question. I have never grew it that I know of, but I can look it up and see howto grow it if you want. Where were youat to leave message? I sure don't mean to not answer.
RRM

I found it and got you a link.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2010 8:04 PM
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 23, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7581789

good morning all, look out oklahoma here we come. thanks rrm i got that plant for 1.00 can,t beat that deal to hard to pass up. im wondering when i should put it out,now or wait till april 15. don,t wont to kill it. got any ideas nettie
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 23, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7581879

Not to worry nettie - if they try to make you dig stuff out of Oklahoma - I will come help ya. Bet we could get ourselves in a lot of trouble!

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 23, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7581935

you bet you nothing like little dig party, that would be right up my alley. thats where i got my little almond tree. they told me i could. got that in arkansas and also a lilac one of the old ones. alot of pass along plants got these free. i like that ive got those pityful old brown eyes weigh about 100 lbs soaking wet, they feel for me, they don,t know im mean as a two headed snake. ha!!! i could talk us out of trouble . love and hugs nettie almost forgot aj how is your back? i got to go take care of all these seed sprouts. i went crazy you know!!!!!!!!!!!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2010
8:40 PM

Post #7582110

hello all.. Hope you are doing great.. Thngs are going great here..Caleb had surgery on both his hands yesterday..We thought they were only going to do the right hand and upper arm but while back in surgery they decided that his left hand needed to be debreeded and skin graphs done.. His left thigh was his donor site...His upper arm they decided would heal on its so they removed all the damaged tissue and packed it..The donor site is causing him some misery, but he walked to his dressing change this morning...He still has no appetite..Im praying for that to recover soon..He has a feeding tube down his nose at this time...Every day we are seeing improvements..Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes... Trish
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2010

Post #7582130

So glad to hear there is improvement Trish!! Keep your chin up and rest when you can.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7582136

Yeah! So glad to hear that Trish!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7582376

Trish so good to hear he's still improving. We'll keep you all in prayers until he's well again.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 24, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7583962

Good for Caleb!! Kids are tough - they heal a lot faster than we do! Glad he is making daily improvements. Remember, pain meds take away appetite - he will start eating like a horse again soon. Will keep you all in our prayers.

Nettie, good to have those pittiful brown eyes aint it! I got em too. I can see us now, the big girl and the little mean woman - we would be a sight! Would be like Mekos, they would let us go cause it is easier for them!!

I have seedlings everywhere myself - spring is not coming soon enough! April 15 is a long way off yet!!
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

February 24, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7584150

Hi All. Trish, glad to hear your son is doing better. Before you know it, he'll be back to himself.

Spring is taking its sweet time in this part of the country too. I thought I was safe and pruned the lantana and plumbago back to the ground to get rid of all the freeze damage and then here come all of the freeze/snow warnings. And out come all of the frost blankets again. I am looking forward to tomorrow night so I can do some more wintersowing. Hubby is at school until 10pm or so, so I have the kitchen table all to myself. I have some ideas for some fun containers, just need to get the seed going.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7584238

Now, It's three sets of Brown eyes. How about me, You know I can get into trouble Enid. Nettie I would wait. Better to have a sure thing, than a dead plant. Hurry up Spring.
Trish, so glad Caleb is getting better. Stronger everyday. Like my cyber-sister up there said "kids are tough"
Hugs and Nuzzles for all.
Love it when Hubby goes to work, can get so much done, Huh? Sapphire
RRM
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 24, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7584429

Look out world here come the gals with brown eyes!!!! It's probably a good thing we all live so far apart, they would be makin' new laws to try to keep us apart. LOL

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2010

Post #7584927

Yep, keep away from "the Brown -eyed Girls"
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 25, 2010
2:48 AM

Post #7585774

oh my gosh the dh just had to have the puter, important stuff you know. needs to check on the new golf club. oh i hope he gets it tomorrow so he can go to the wet cold gofer place with his old gofer friends ya!!! then the little brown eyed woman can do her thing. which she likes much. im so glad caleb is doing good, it just takes time for all things to heal, lots of patients, prayer, and keeping the faith. mothers are good at this as a mater of fact mothers are the best. trish i will keep you and caleb in my thoughts and prayers. rest as much as you can and keep us updated. love nettie.
seray53

February 25, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7585942

Same with me Trish. Hugs and prayers for you both.

Now all you Brown eyed girls need is a little mean blue eyed one and you'd have all the bases covered. LOL Maybe I could go in first and they'd be unsuspecting. :)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

February 25, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7586106

seray you are right on the money.we gona need all the help we can get. no telling where that plant will go once it goes in the ground. ive got little 6 or 7 inch tall iris down in the rock garden blooming don,t know where they came from. oh well i guess one of the grandkids put them in .they see things i just have to have.love those kids!!! at my age they make me crazy sometimes. it is getting near my bed time. got to go to dr. in the morning gona be a fight. pray for the dr. love nettie
seray53

February 25, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7586240

Please let littlenettie's Dr. live!

Nite nite!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 25, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7586460

I feel for your Dr. today Nettie. Don't hurt him too bad, you will end up in jail with Mekos!

Mornin' all! Where is everybody, been pretty quite around here. Everybody still stuck in the snow or what? We are expecting 1-3 inches today with a high of 43. Is it just me or is that a bit confusing? Warm with snow - just doesn't sound right to me!

Guess I will call the weather man and give him my opinion, hold that extra bed in your cell Nettie, I am gonna need it!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 25, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7586469

Seray, I will take a mean blue eyed woman on my side any day! My maternal gma had blue eyes and I swear that woman was mean as a snake. I learned early to keep my gpa on my side so he could protect me. LOL!! We would get in trouble together and make her really really mad. I will never forget one day she had something going on with her throat and couldn't yell as loud as normal. She wanted gpa to come up out of the pasture so she got out the whistle we used for the hunting dogs and blew it. When gpa made it to the house, he got down on all fours, crawled into the kitchen and barked at her. I thought he was gonna be murdered that day - gpa and I laughed about that for years, still made her mad. Just so you know, I get my lungs from her! They lived on 120 acre home place, she could stand on the back porch and call gpa even if he was on the far end of the property! People swore you could hear her for 5 miles.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7586620

Oh Lori, Seray can you yell that loud?
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7586768

I almost choked on my breakfast reading about your gpa's answer to being summoned with a dog whistle. I can just picture him crawling in on hands and knees.

Thank you for the good morning laugh!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2010
4:14 PM

Post #7586852

Ha ha ha - candles that's great! Thanks for the laugh! Bet you had fun with those grandparents!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7586942

Now that was a funny story!! I miss my grandparents...especially when planting time comes around. They always had the best gardens and it never seemed like work to put them in each year.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7587061

Loved that storey. We sure have adventures.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 25, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7587136

Gpa and I kind of enjoyed ticking off gma. We worked at it! He always grew the most amazing gardens! I haven't seen a good looking tomato since he died. I don't know what he did but his were always huge and there were lots of them!
He did all the gardening himself, gma would help pick and do the canning. The rule was no one but mom and gma could step in the strawberry patch. His feet were too big (wore a 15EEE) and he mushed the berries; he was only allowed to pick from the outside as far as he could reach. We used to give gma a hard time; she would want someone to step in just far enough to reach her basket of berries, she would have to wait on my mom to get there cause we weren't allowed to step in the strawberry patch. I remember gpa just standing there looking at her saying sorry, can't help ya - you told me not to ever step in the strawberries. He would laugh and laugh as he went on to his next chore.
seray53

February 25, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7587158

Rolling in the floor FUNNY! I think you should write a book Lori! The image was so clear and so funny! And you will have endless material with your "dirt eating baby". LOL Who knows you might just put him through college.

My grandma was like yours. My poor grandpa didn't have your gpa's sense of humor though. Yours was probably braver too.

When my parents split we lived with my grandparents. They had a big place 350 acres. My job was to "go find your brothers" so yes I can holler!

The only thing she was afraid of was a snake. She used to get all five of us out of bed early to help in the garden. She would make us walk behind her just in case she saw one. She'd spread her arms like an ol chicken and sneak through the path with a bunch of sleepy kids behind her. We still laugh about the time she actually did see one. Let out a yell "Look OUT! Turned around and plowed us all down trying to get away. We had to laugh behind her back though, she tell us it was our fault for walking so close. LOL

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010

Post #7587195

Seray you made me think of my Dad, he has been gone for a long time. He was scared to death of snakes he wasnt afraid of anything else bullmoose, tiger a shotgun my Mother nothing!! But a snake would send him running and screaming like a little girl. If he can hear me hes gonna ring my neck. I didn't know he was afraid of snakes until I was about five or six, guess what I decided I just loved to collect? Yep you got it snakes, well my Dad and I were always close and anything I did or found or thought I knew I had to run and tell him, one day he was laying on his bed watching me play out the window, I was carrying an old cardboard box, he didnt know what I was doing just knew I was collecting something again. So of course when I got the box all decorated and had a Momma and baby snake all settled in I wandered over to the window and look what I did Dad!! He couldn't get off that bed fast enough he yelled and stumbled and fell on the floor getting away. Now mind you I was outside he was inside!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7587197

I think we need a new thread? What do you all think?
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7587206

Arejay, that is too funny...I laughed out loud just picturing it! lol
seray53

February 25, 2010

Post #7587262

That is funny Arejay! I know how my grandma acted and I can just see your father. LOL

New thread would be good!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7587309

Yep, new thread.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

February 25, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7587363

Oh, man I am full of stories. I was acutally raised a "town" kid. We lived 12 miles from my grandparents home place in a little town called Iola Kansas. Mom was from Colony, dad from LeRoy. The towns were only 20 or 25 miles apart - anyway...both sets of grandparents were country folk. By the time I was big enough to remember, my dad's family had retired from farming and moved to the ever dreaded town. My mom's folks of course stayed on the home place til gpa was gone and gma got "the crazies". Alzheimers - bad way to go!!!
I couldn't mind my own business so was in to everything - I didn't want to miss nothin'!

One of my favorite all time stories: Gpa (on my dad's side) and I went to a Saturday afternoon sale. They had chickens, rabbits, ducks...a watermelon truck and pie! I guess gpa got a little tired of trying to keep up with me, maybe he was missing the auction, I don't know. Anyway, he took me to the watermelon truck, lifted me up in there and told me to find the biggest, best watermelon in the bunch and sit on it til he got back. According to my gma, that was the least trouble I had ever caused in my life. I sat on the watermelon I had picked out for three hours. Grandpa didn't leave me there just cause he didn't want to keep up with me, he had forgotten about me and went home. I didn't dare budge or make a sound either, I knew that if I had irritated the watermelon man, gpa would make me go home without one. Maybe that is why it drives me crazy to have to sit and wait.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #7587386

New Thread... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1078031/ ...New Thread...2/25/10

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America