Gardening Friends Diet and Exercise #3

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1060051/#new

We came from :

I thought it might be slow for the dial up folks

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you bluegrassmom for making a new thread for us. We are happy to have you join our little group. As you can see we are here to help one another achive our goals of a healthier lifestyle. Anyway a big WELCOME!

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 3 ounces of lettuce salad, 4 ounces of french fries

5pm 1 slice homemade pizza

No exercise to amount to anything, they gym was closed for maintenance.

We are expecting a big snow 5 to 8 inches tonight, I am hoping that they are wrong, but we will see.

Mickey

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for making me feel welcome. I am a yo yo dieter I can lose but just keeping it off is my problem. I have lost as much as 40 lbs but over time it creeps back on :(

I am trying to walk at least 1 mile each day. My goal is to average 10 miles each week.
small bowl banana nut crunch
10 oz strawberry banana smoothie
broccoli and ranch

Teresa

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for making me feel welcome. I am a yo yo dieter I can lose but just keeping it off is my problem. I have lost as much as 40 lbs but over time it creeps back on :(

I am trying to walk at least 1 mile each day. My goal is to average 10 miles each week.
small bowl banana nut crunch
10 oz strawberry banana smoothie
broccoli and ranch

Teresa

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Teresa.....thanks for climbing aboard and starting a new thread or continued thread.

I have a terrible set of medical circumstances. All I do here is try to tweek my daily habits to include a combination that will enable me to lose a little weight over the period of a week or two if need be. I personally do not think a strict diet is right for me. I post here most days and if I don't forget post my gain or loss usually on a Saturday.

Again.......you are welcome. Choose a pattern you can live with and not get to grumpy. Happy heads make the job easier in my opinion. Glad to see you make the effort.

Breakfast.......One cake and one egg. Small OJ and my tea.

Exercise........Three hours at the gym to get a good hour of
work.

Lunch...........Ham, egg, and cheese on Rye sandwich. Six
oz. of apple juice and my cup and a half of tea.

Exercise......Short mall trip for cleaning supplies.

Dinner.........Ham, mac and cheese, frozen vegies. 8 oz. of
OJ.

Snack.........8 oz. rice pudding & a Pepsi 1.

OBSERVATON.....more snow on the way. Mercy!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

all-bran w/milk, banana & coffee
homemade chicken noodle soup & apple
shrimp w/beans & orange
yogurt
1200 cal total

No exercise

Down 9.5lbs since 1/3/10

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Great job Tammy!!

I agree with you doc that a really strict diet is not the way to go. If you are too restrictive you can cause yourself to rebell and then sabotage your efforts. The way to go is to just try to eat healthy items at each meal and get moving. Exercise for me is the key right now. I had lived such a sedintary lifestyle for several years and now that I have lost 98 pounds I have to get moving to keep it coming off.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

thanks Mickey.
Tam

It took me longer than that to lose the first ten pounds! Ten pounds in a month is a very safe and sane result. It is also commendable. If you hold that program in practice you can lose and keep off gains without to much difficulty.

I look forward to spring. With warmer weather I can get out on the patio and tinker with our flowers and a very mini vegi garden. Our large food garden has been planted in grass. I can ride and mow but I can no longer walk any great distance, work on hands and knees and hoe. We have half a dozen huge flower gardens all under permanent mulch. Again I can haul the mulch. A helper loads and distributes it.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Boy, I look forward to spring too. This will be the first time in 9 years that I will be able to do my own gardening. With my weight so heavy and my back problems I was not able to do gardening and now with 98 pounds off I will be able to do it. I am so excited that I can plan and do my own gardening. I have several new beds planned and lots of great seed to put in.

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces yogurt

12pm 4 ounces of chicken noodles

5pm 3 ounces of lettuce salad

For exercise I went to the gym and swam 3/4 of a mile then sat in the sauna and then the hot tub.

Mickey

Way to go Mickey! Those last two pleasures I can no longer enjoy due to the high humidity. The gym I use has a pulse type shower head. I sure do like that as a next best way to go.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

One of my prime motivators is being strong enough to
handle all the work I want and need to do outside. I have
almost 10acres and am an absolute obsessive gardener.
Some years I didn't do much of anything all winter and then
ended up being almost crippled with back pain. I find the
focus on abdominals has eliminated the back spasms I was
still having this fall.

Thanks for letting me join in here.
Tam

I have not been to a bone crusher or bare footed back walker since starting using the abs work in my gym conditioning exercise.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

all-bran w/milk, banana and coffee
large green salad w/sunflower seeds & an apple
cabbage w/ham, mushrooms, and red pepper,
orange & sm yogurt
Total 1100 cal

3mi in 50min on treadmill - 620 cal

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone, Hope you are all having a great day. I am getting ready to go to the gym.

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 3 ounces of chicken and 3 ounces of dumplings

5pm 4 ounces of homemade chicken and noodles

Did not do any exercise.

Mickey

Tuesday 9th.

Brunch......SOS For the uninformed that is creamed chip beef on toast or a pancake plus my tea.

Exercise... worked a couple of hours getting salt in and ready to spread, oiled the shovels and gassed up the blower.

Dinner: Mac. and cheese with a stewed tomato side plus my tea.

Exercise: Crawled all over the gym bleachers to photograph the grand son's match.

Snack: 9PM as the snow was just beginning we made some hot chocolate and a hand full of roasted peanuts in
the shell.

Thursday 10 th. Wednesday was messing up all kinds of schedules. We stayed home but had about ten inches of snow to deal with. Grandson and a helped kept us cleaned out of and on all day.

Two soft boiled eggs with two pieces of sourdough toast. One tangerine. Cup and a half of tea.

Activity: Went in and had my neck streached. That problem seems to be clearing up nicely.

Lunch: Cup of broth...chicken stock. Venison baloney finger food, four crackers, 6 ounces of yogurt. Cup and a half of tea.

Dinner: Chicken soup, chicken salad sandwiches on rye with lots of lettuce.
Tangerine and half a cup of rice pudding.

No snack today.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops. Missed a few days. I succumbed to temptation
Wed and had a few cookies. Got right back to the program
and had good day yesterday.

Thurs: 1200cal w/90min shovelling snow

I got in a really good workout on the treadmill today.
Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone, I am late posting today but I am here.

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 3 ounces of fish, 3 ounces of tater tots, 2 ounces of chicken broccoli cassarole and 3 ounces of strawberry pie which promptly came back up on me.

5pm 3 ounces of hamburger helper

No exercise to speak of.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Mickey.

all-bran cereal w/milk, banana & coffee
large green salad w/an apple
chicken stir-fry and an orange

1100 cal w/675cal burned on the treadmill

Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Yippee!!!!!!!!! I made my goal, I have now lost 101 pounds HURRAY!!!!!!

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 3 ounces of chicken noodles and a very small piece of chocolate cake

5pm a McDonalds cheesburger and small fries that did not stay down.

I am so excited that I made my goal, Yippee!!

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

YEAH Mickey!!!!! Wooo Hoooo

that's just fantastic!
Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tammy! I am really excited about it. I also tried on some different cloths and found out that I am into a 2x WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey

That is absolutely fantastic Mickey.

I'm still fighting a dandy late winter cold. Today I ate some applesauce, a little bit of cereal and a bowl of the left over chicken noodle soup. I was so grumpy I really did not want to eat anything. The old grandmothers always said.....feed a cold and starve a fever. I made an effort to feed it. LOL

This evening I got back into that applesauce. There was lots of tea in this day too.

By this time tomorrow it should have peaked and started to go down hill. They used to say it took fourteen days to cure a cold with medicine and two weeks without medicine. I did not use any cold medicine so I guess mine will last two weeks.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

doc, Hope your feeling better!!

Happy Valentines Day everyone!!!

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 4 ounces of tater tots

5pm 3 ounces of baked chicken, 2 ounces of carrots and 2 ounces of rice

No exercise to speak of.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

That's terrific Mickey! You are doing so well!
Doc - hope you feel better soon.

Yesterday's log:

all-bran cereal w/milk, banana and coffee
homemade chicken noodle soup & an apple
6oz salmon w/broccoli (no butter) and an orange
sm yogurt

1500 cal / no exercise

Tam

This message was edited Feb 14, 2010 11:28 AM

Geese..............seems I just got up and around. It is noon. The cold is over the top and I am a little better today as expected. I shall water my indoor flowers and then be ready for another power nap which should take me into dinner this evening.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone, Hope you all had a good presidents day.

Yesterdays food log:
8am small cinnamon roll

12pm 3 ounces of lettuce salad 3 ounces of chicken nuggets, and 3 ounces of french fries

5pm 3 ounces of cerial with skim milk

No exercise to speak of.

Mickey

Still fussing with a grumpy three day old head cold. It is starting to go away. Stayed in all day. Still do not feel like eating much. Did not feel up to my usual Monday exercise.

Brunch: A full bowl of oatmeal with raisins, a touch of honey and two ounces of two percent milk. Made
a cup of tea that just sat there.

3PM: Ate two tangerines. Warmed up that cup of tea.

Dinner: About four ounces of Bar-B-Q Pork, half a baked potato with real butter. Made up some more
tea.

Desert.....six ounces of yogurt.

Snack 2 graham crackers

I'll have to get up and around tomorrow. Have a tax man appointment at three and the grandson wrestles tomorrow evening.

It started snowing again about 6PM. Expecting another three or four inches. That may stop now as far as I am concerned.

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

doc I agree that the snow can stop any time now, I am ready for spring.

Yesterdays food log:
8am I was bad I had a piece of squash pie with whipped cream

12pm 6 chicken nuggets and lowfat chocolate milk

5pm 3 ounces of meatloaf, 2 ounces of corn and 2 ounces of mashed potatoes

For exercise I went to the pool and swam 3/4 of a mile, then sat in the sauna and then the whirlpool.

I weighed this morning just out of curiousity and found that I have lost another 3 pounds making my total 104.

Mickey

Mickey............where do you wish to level off and maintain your weight? 3 /4 of a mile swim indicates pretty good over all condition. I can do that on an innertube going downstream. LOL

I have begun an open discussion with the doctor possibly leading to the cutting back on steroid use. I'm not at all sure the total that I am presently using is needed. I am requesting a withdrawal and possible elimination of half the steroids I am using. Or the possible elimination and replacement with another medication approach.

It seems most difficult to lose weight with these drugs in my system. I work like the dickens to just hold my weight and prevent gains. My work in the gym has the rest of my body in very good condition. I told the doctor we had to dump these steroids because I wanted to try out for hot dog peddler in Yankee Statium this summer. LOL

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc - I hope you can get off the steroids. I'm sure you are aware
of the implications to taking over a longer time period.

Mickey - I hope you get to your goal and can stick there. Do you
have another milestone you are looking for?

Yesterday:

45min strength training
allbran w/milk, banana & coffee
Large green salad w/sunflower seeds & an apple
3 scrambled eggs + an orange
1250 cal intake / 350 burned in exercise

Today I had two doctors' appointment in the morning so no
time to work out yet. May be difficult tonight - have to work
'til 6pm. Will try to get on treadmill afterwards.

Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi friends, I do have a goal in mind I would like to level off at 180 so that means I need to lose another 79 pounds. The next milestone I am working on is 125 pounds. I chose to do 25 pounds because I am losing slower now than at the beginning.

Doc I hope that you are able to get off the steroids. I have to use steroids at times because of breathing problems so I know how they can affect you. I am sure you know that getting off of them is not easy. I wish you the best of luck.

Tammy I hope your day finished out well. After all you activity I am not sure I would worry about a work out that late in the day.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

well... it turns out there was a scheduling error and my last
call of the day starts at 6pm.... so no workout indeed for me.

Mickey- it must feel so good to have lost that first 100lbs!
About 15yrs ago I lost almost 60lbs and it felt like I'd been
wearing a snowsuit and finally got it off me. Was wonderful.
But I was just too skinny for me to ever hold that weight.

today -

all-bran cereal w/milk, banana & coffee,
cup of homemade chicken noodle soup & an apple
Roasted cauliflower w/6oz tilapia and an orange
(the last is my plan for dinner).
1150 cal

Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

Tammy, it sure does feel good to have that first 100 pounds off. I feel like a new person. I dont have to struggle to walk and do things, I breath much better and I find that I am a lot more flexible. The thing I find sort of strange is that I am now cold all the time, like I have lost my insulation. There are days that I just cannot get warm at all. They tell me that it is that way because I am not eating a lot of carbohydrates like I used to and they are our fuel for being warm. Oh well that is a small price to pay to be healthier.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

That's wonderful Mickey! (except the part about being cold of course).
Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

GM everyone, hope you are all having a good day. Here we are at Wednesday, hump day, the middle of another week. I cant believe it is already the middle of February. Oh ya, I was going to tell you all about my test I had Monday, it is called a Bod Pod. For the test you sit in this machine that looks like a huge egg and while you are in there it measures all the fat, muscle and bone in your body and gives a very accurate BMI(body mass index). Well my first one back when I started this journey before surgery and the weight loss was 60. My test monday showed that my BMI is now 49. Thats a huge change. What they recommend for women is that your BMI be below 40 so I am well on my way to a healthy BMI.

Yesterdays food log:
8am 3 ounces of yogurt

12pm 2 ounces of pork steak, 2 ounces of mashed potatoes and 2 ounces of peas

5pm 3 ounces of meat loaf, 2 ounces of shells and cheese and 2 ounces of green beans.

No exercise yesterday.

Mickey

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

that's really cool. Did your doctor have the equipment?

I got in a good workout this morning. 3min in 45min on the
treadmill on the hill interval option. Burned 625cal. So far,
had my std cereal, milk, banana & coffee for breakfast and
a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup plus an apple
for lunch. I will probably have a chicken stir fry for dinner.

Tam

Chillicothe, IL(Zone 6a)

My doctor has a gym that is associated with him that has the equipment. When I started toward the surgery we had to pay a fee to cover the gym for 1 month, classes, dietician consult, and 3 bod pod readings. I get another bod pod after a year, this was my 6 month. I see my surgeon on the 23 for my 6 month check up. I cant even believe it has been 6 months, just seems like yesterday that I was a Mayo Clinic and they were recommending the surgery. Time sure does fly.

Mickey

I did a light gym session this AM. That did not work so good. I went home to shower and have lunch.
Then I took another power nap. LOL

Breakfast was a banana cereal bowl with about two ounces of 2% milk.

Lunch was a cheese burger with onion on 9 grain bread.

Dinner was BAR-B-Q ribs and half a potato.

Hitting the sack early. No sack.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images