Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Transplanting INDOORS after starting INDOORS

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 10, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mbrookssky
Copper Hill, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7541476

I've had mixed success with growing basil plants indoors after they were started indoors or brought inside after having been hardened off outside or even after having been growing outside. Should I do anything special as the equivilent to hardening off when I'm ready to move seedlings started under lights to a more elaborate indoor growing setup? So far, only those that went thru an outdoor hardening or transplant have been successful.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 3:55 PM
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2010
10:59 PM

Post #7542815

If I understand you correctly.You are seed starting basil indoors.You plan to keep it indoors.You are growing it as a "house plant"?Is that right?Why?Basils love sun and the heat of summer.I start basil indoors but always transplant out when temps warm up.I think nobody is answering your post because nobody gets it.I know, I am confused.I want to help but don't really understand.Edge
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 8, 2010
11:25 PM

Post #7542888

I think you should just pot them up and put them in their new location. The only thing I would add it slow release fertilizer, since they will be a bigger plant.
mbrookssky
Copper Hill, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7584453

Thanks. Sorry for the lack of clarity. My problem has been with growing basil indoors during the winter. I had expected to try planting a new batch inside before I could do so outside, but that batch of seed starting failed. A new batch started now will be able to go outside, so my question is moot for now. But I'm still interested in whether I need to do something equivilent to hardening off when I start a new batch for indoor transplant next fall. Pic is of the indoor growing setup.

Thumbnail by mbrookssky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #7585512

I think the problem is that the house is too dry and warm in the winter maybe for that type of plant? Don't know why it would be, but if you had a cool area with some light maybe it would work. Kind of like my bedroom. I do not heat it at all, not even in the winter but it has a southern window. Maybe something like that would work.

It might be that in the winter with no heat like I like to sleep might be too cold for it, but just using that as an example, not offering my bedroom for your basil. :0)
candace111
Eugene, OR

February 28, 2010
9:20 PM

Post #7595039

Hey. I'm looking for some feedback from some experienced seed germinators. I'm working on a project as a student that involves a flat packaged polyethylene container that is designed to function first as a greenhouse and second as a planter, which eventually leads to hardening and transplanting. My blog is http://theopenlair.blogspot.com/

I would appreciate any feedback. Please check it out.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2010
12:32 AM

Post #7600780

I am attempting to grow basil indoors now with hopes of being able to harvest earlier, however I plan on moving it outside as soon as I can. The main reason I wanted to respond is because I attended a nursery tour over the weekend and they mentioned that all the indoor herbs they are currently selling had been selected for ease of growth and the man specifically said Genovese (sweet basil - which is what most people want) is not a good one to grow indoors. The other types they had were supposedly good for a window sill. I can't remember the exact types but I know one of them was a very small type - if I saw the name somewhere I'd remember it and the other was some purple type. Just thought I'd let you know so perhaps you could look into finding a type that is better suited to growing indoors for you, in the winter.

fixed a typo

This message was edited Mar 2, 2010 7:35 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2010
2:41 AM

Post #7601120

Meredith, have you looked thru seed catalogs or googled basil, or even looked in the plantfiles. You might find the name of it.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7601781

I am pretty sure the varieties offered at the nursery that they said do well indoors on a windowsill in winter were Thai Basil which is the purple one and Spicy Globe basil. I googled 'basil good for indoors' and they both came up. They looked like the ones I was looking at at the nursery.
However the basil in the picture looks good to me. It is a tad leggy but looks like you can harvest it and enjoy it, I try to break the rules of growing palnts all the time. So if it is working for you great! : )

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 4, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7604138

I've tried for years to grow basil indoors, and even when I choose the varieties recommended for indoors, it might grow, but it doesn't thrive, and it isn't very tasty. Perhaps in an actual greenhouse setting it'd do okay, but not in my home, not even in a very warm reptile enclosure with tons of UV light.
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

March 4, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7604290

I heard once on "The Splendid Table" that the secret to really Italian-tasting herbs like basil, is picking them young - like when the plants are 6" tall or less. Basil is so easy and fast to grow that I wouldn't see anything particularly silly about growing it on a spinach-like schedule - just starting a few new ones every couple of months, and discarding the old. Up here in Snow Country, the outdoor growing season is horribly short, so I completely understand and sympathize with the desire to grow your herbs indoors. Even somewhat scraggly plants can yield a better flavor than dried leaves. I'm growing a medium-sized variety that I got from Stokes. The young leaves are wonderfully fragrant! I'm thinking herb-rubbed pork roast as I write, mouth-watering...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America