AuthorContent
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 9, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7543712

Sharon, I was interested to read about your Sassafras and its uses. It does not grow here in Australia, but we do have a tree in our southern rainforests that has been given the same name Sassafras. I am sure yours was named first so it must be some perceived similarity that led ours to be named Sassafras too.
Our plant Atherosperma moschatum is not even in the same family, but I have entered some pictures in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/186187/

The only connection I can make is that the leaves of our Southern Sassafras are very aromatic. The only use I know for them is that when I lived in Tasmania, if Sassafras was near when brewing Billy Tea (tea made in a billy-can over a camp fire) a leaf of Sassafras was sometimes tossed into the billy with the tea, to add an extra piquancy to the brew

Kennedy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7543851

Isn't that strange, Ken? It doesn't even bear a resemblance to the one here. I had no idea. Perhaps the taste is similar after all, but I have no idea what Billy Tea with an added Southern Sassafrass leaf would taste like.

But it is really good information, and would be interesting if we could compare the flavor.

Thanks for sharing this info, and the link to PF.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sassafras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
root beer irisMA 27 Mar 12, 2010 6:24 PM
Chewing sassafras twigs roseone33 5 Feb 9, 2010 9:35 PM
Cute birder17 5 Feb 16, 2010 2:39 AM
Sassafras tea annhelen 2 Feb 16, 2010 3:38 AM
I wouldn't worry... wantrealfood 6 Feb 21, 2010 1:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America