-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7545592

Sharon, another cute story! I feel lucky to get to read your stories for free! I think I have a Sassafras tree in my back yard (deciduous forest). It was beautiful last Autumn. I am going to pay attention to the blooms and the blue fruits: sounds pretty. We moved in to this just built home 15 years ago, the builders were ruthless with the native plants. In the past few years, we have begun to enjoy the return of the native plants that were very damaged and destroyed. Our birds help plant our native plants.
Do these trees spread by stolens? Are they rather invasive?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2010
10:34 PM

Post #7545663

Hi Birder...
Here's a link that might help answer your question, they do spread by runners, well, here, you can read for yourself:

http://www.landscape-america.com/landscapes/trees/sassafras.html

So if you have enough room for them, letting them go natural might be a good thing.
I'm glad your native plants are returning, so will the birds and wildlife.

Thanks so much for reading the articles, it's great to hear from you. When the time comes, I'd love to see pictures of your 'Sassafras' forest...
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7545718

Yes, Sharon, I have tried really hard to make a bird friendly habitat. I have many birds visit my feeders every day. Now, if I can only discourage the neighborhood cat from sitting on my deck railing away from my feeders!
Thanks for the information.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7545968

Ummmmmm...cats and birds...it's a forever thing, I know.
jamieos
Ridgefield, CT

February 16, 2010
1:05 AM

Post #7562545

Interesting all the info on sassafras trees. When we moved here in the late 60s there were three somewhat young sassafras trees below the house in the lawn. At some point my husband, who thought trees were scrubby said he was going to cut them down. Over my dead body said I, and they are still there ornamenting the lower lawn. I always loved the leaf shape, and since our land is mostly maples with a few oak thrown in far from the house, the sassafras trees have provided welcome variety.

However the trees do drop a lot of seed and there are always a number of seedlings in the spring that do get mowed down eventually, but underground runners? Could these "seedlings" be in reality sprouts from underground runners? I must say I do not spend a lot of time around these trees, having quite enough to do to care for my 2 long L-shaped borders, borders around the house (no foundation planting) and my fenced Secret Garden, which is mostly roses.

If I can find some pics I took of the Three Girls - the name I gave the sassafras trees - I will upload them to the Dave's Garden site. Couldn't find the pic I had in mind (it was 10 years ago!) but here are the "Girls" behind the deer that plagued us in 2000. I will have to make a point of taking more photos of the sassafras trees this year!

Thumbnail by jamieos
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
2:39 AM

Post #7562830

Oh how beautiful!!!
Now that makes me want to be there.

Lucky you to have those trees. I'm not sure about the seeds, it's been a long time since I lived near a sassafras tree, and I wasn't studying their growth at that time, only chewing the twigs. But I am sure about the runners.

Looking forward to seeing more photos.
Thank you, and thanks too for the lovely scene.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sassafras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
root beer irisMA 27 Mar 12, 2010 6:24 PM
Australian Sassafras kennedyh 1 Feb 9, 2010 5:56 AM
Chewing sassafras twigs roseone33 5 Feb 9, 2010 9:35 PM
Sassafras tea annhelen 2 Feb 16, 2010 3:38 AM
I wouldn't worry... wantrealfood 6 Feb 21, 2010 1:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America