-
AuthorContent
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7546694

Just thought I'd create a thread so we could come back to it later (and find it!):

This gal is in Washington:

http://www.silverstarvinery.com

And then there are the sites of two DG members:

http://www.gardenvines.com

http://www.simplyclems.com/
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7547006

Rooguchi - saw this in the lovely garden of a British woman during the Woodinville garden tour. I wasn't going to go last year as they had gotten somewhat tasteless (and more about how much $$ you spend). But apparently the organizers got that message and the tours were really nice.

She and her husband stood outside in the garden and welcomed people (along with the head gardener). The owner lovingly called his wife a 'horticultural maniac'. They had redone their property and accomplished everything in 5 years. Of course, it did take a pretty penny to do it, but it was very tasteful and refined in a sort of wild way.

Of course, wouldn't you know that my camera battery would run out at the beginning of this tour? I have half a mind to stop by again this year and ask if I can wander through . . .

Thumbnail by katie59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
1:43 AM

Post #7549383

That's very beautiful! Mine has never been so large. Now I believe I know why. Voles!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7549505

I think I need a clematis to grow up my birch tree. Dry and somewhat shady, especially in the summer when the trees are full.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7549584

Why stop at 1, Portland? They bloom at different times and in different colors. This is the evergreen clematis that blooms in the birch tree in late april. It has climbed all the way to the top of the tree, about 80 feet up.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7549782

There are going to be some great clematis companion planting ideas...
thistledownfarm
North Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7549789

Katie will you send me one. I think I deleted one in my e-mail thinking it was spam. Thanks
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
5:05 AM

Post #7549938

I did get an invite but haven't had the time to fiddle with the site yet. I am reluctant to get into another site since it means more time with the computer.

Pix it went 80 feet!!! Wow - what kind is it?
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7549974

No requirement, but worth it if you're shopping for clematis ideas . . .
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7549998

I just went over and looked around a little. When I have more energy I will hunt around more. Should be interesting!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 11, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7550139

Clematis armandii 'snowdrift'. It's just trying to find the sunshine, Portland.
I checked out the site. Yes, it takes a little energy to look around. I find it fascinating that there is a 'hand's off' approach to the individual discussion threads, that people can talk about whatever they like just like real grown ups. That just fascinates me endlessly. It's probably going to be a very good site. Katie, I'll have to find the clematis. I love the name of the site. it's very good. Are you the moderator of lematis ?
I'm not willing to give up this one, though, unless it gets cumbersome or wired with commercial traffic, or some such nonsense. And I already spend so much time on this site, that adding another one just means more behind time for me on the chair, which is not a good thing. Still, I'm keeping my eye on things. He has a few bugs to work out, but he's a darn good programmer. He'll get it done.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7550194

I'm not moderator - the gal who runs simplyclems.com is. She seems very organized, but more about the plants than being the police. The new site seems to me to be much more of a social experiment with thousands of "Dave" disciples as guinea pigs. We'll see. It'd be hard to replicate this in terms of function and resource.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7551014

I think I will order the armandii snowdrift to keep my birch tree company. It's a good thing I don't live closer to Silver Star Vinery. Looking online is tempting enough but if I saw all those lovelies in person there's no telling how many I would bring home to my tiny garden...

Pix, ditto. DG is so easy to navigate so I will also stay here unless it gets crazy. But I will also go now and then to watch how it's coming along.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7551017

So after happily perusing Silver Star Vinery's website, I have decided that all of my current clematis need complimentary friends on their trellis'. I have several of the big flowered varieties, but have been really drawn to the litteler ones as a contrast, so will probably be ordering a few of them. I would also be curious to hear more about the herbacious varieties. So, I will be looking for a friend for "Fireworks"...

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7551022

Uh ho - I can't find armandii snowdrift on the website! Does it have another name?
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7551051

Broken picture link? What the heck?

Judy, here is the link for it on Dave's...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96012/

I am going to try another pic of Fireworks and see if it works, and if not, will wait to post more until later...

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 11, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7551058

Thank you Julie!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7551492

OK, looks like the pics are working now. This one I forget the name of, but after a rough start, it has made a nice addition to my grape arbor.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7551523

Multi Blue can definitely use a friend on it's arbor!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7551530

A close up of Multi Blue. I have two of these, and just adore them!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7551544

Another clem that I no longer have the tag for, but it has plenty of room to share with another.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7551557

I love my Jackmanii, but I don't think that I could squeeze another one in here. Somewhere in that mess is my Jasminum stephanense, which has made a great trellis for the clematis.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7551573

Melissa, I forgot to say that you pic of your evergreen is gorgeous. I am so sad to have lost mine... it was well up into one of my cedar trees, and I lost it in the cold of the winter last year. I could not find another one last spring, so I replaced it with one of the Montannas. Mom had one that was at least 80' into a cedar at her house as well, and she thought that she had lost hers that same winter, but when we were walking a week or so ago, we noticed that at least hers is coming back from the roots!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7555428

I was at McClendon's today, Julie, and they have evergreen clematis, 1 gallon pot, 'Appleblossom'. 12.99 You need one. .. I almost bought one, then got hold of myself.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 13, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7556197

I think I need to go to Portland Nursery - I so want two evergreens. One to climb up a fence and the other to climb up a birch tree. Or maybe two for the fence, to keep each other company...
ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7556696

Anybody have success with the Clems that do okay in the shade or part shade? I'd love to add 2 to the front of the barn in the raised beds on either side of the doors and would love some suggestions on ones that do well here.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7557968

I was reading that Bee's Jubilee does well on the north side of a house ,in the shade. It's a very pretty one, but I don't grow it myself.

I went around the yard and wrote down all the clematis I have and it's way more than I thought. Then I remembered that the one that is climbing through the privet tree behind the waterfall was a NOID that I got for next to nothing last year since it had lost its tag. So I will be surprised! I have at least 15 clematis! Who knew! Many of them simply have not been in the ground long enough to really do anything. Plus, Nelly Moser is coming back. Apparently the voles did not get all of her. I will protect her with castor granules, which they hate.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7558699

So here is one I forgot I had. I'm going through old photos to see what maybe hasn't bloomed in awhile due to either soil conditions or voles, etc. This vine is still here, but didn't bloom last year. This was in 2007. I don't know what this one is. It's blooming on May 31. I probably have it recorded somewhere, the name, that is.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7559425

Rarejem: you grow clematis on your grapes? That sounds intriguing, and opens up new vistas for me -- I have a ladder type trellis with 6 grapes (of unknown name) growing on it. Various (real) geraniums at their feet and between the up-posts. Maybe I need to add some clems...??

Pixiedish: I am so sorry about the voles, they seem to crop up on a quite regular basis in all your postings.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2010
2:00 AM

Post #7559669

What colours of clems do you want to plant in the shade, Kris?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2010
3:00 AM

Post #7559786

Yes, I am a little focused on them, I guess. Mostly because I didn't know I had them until last year. I'm still discovering new areas that they have compromised.
I think clematis with grapes would be beautiful. Also, I'm interested in what Kayte has to say about cultivars that do well in shade. Today I dug up the NOID clematis that I had growing on the north side of my shed. Every year it stretches around to the sunny side of the shed when what I really want is for it to cover the shady side. .
ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2010
3:23 AM

Post #7559817

Well...I was looking for white, lavender and dk purple but I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already. I chose Mrs. Chomondeley (sp?) for the front of the barn (part shade), Montana Broughton Star (Rose Arbor companion -1/2 day sun); Montana Wilsonii (lite shade - seed house); Royality/Vyvyan Pennell for the Garage Arbor - pm shade; and Montana Tetrarose for a Cedar(part shade). We'll see how I do with these. Hoping to site them where they don't have wet winter feet.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7560071

ladybuggfan wrote: I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already.
ROFLOL! Join the club!

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7560171

My brother has a clematis that grow with the grape. They've been duking it out for several years now.

Kris - sounds like you've made some great choices!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7562118

ladybuggfan wrote: I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already. .

Add Mom and I to that club. Because we decided that we wanted SEVERAL plants each, Debbie at Silver Star Vinery suggested that we order and then come down an pick them up rather than pay for shipping. She asked that we pre-order and pre-pay, and suggested that the best time to pick up the plants would be the first week in May. I also asked her if it would be OK to pick up orders for other people (thought that there might be a few of you in my area that might want to order *grin*), and she said that that would be just fine.

SO... If there are people who want to make an order and save on shipping (note that I think that there will still be a handling charge), we would be happy to pick up the plants for you and get them at least as close as Federal Way around the first week in May. It would be up to you to pick them up from us here at work, or from home (always happy to have folks visit!) once we have them. If the trip to Whidbey works out, we would be willing to bring them then, but I don't want to promise anything along those lines because you never know what may come up between now and then. Debbie said to make your order as you normally would, and tell her in the order that you will be having them picked up by either Julie Gair or Sharon MacPhail. She will deduct the shipping off of your order. If you do want us to do this for you, will you please d-mail me and let me know when/what you have ordered, so that we can have a check list when we get there?

ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
12:25 AM

Post #7562433

Wow Julie, what a wonderful offer. I would love to take you up on that, but I know how things go for me. I'll have a tough time getting "over" to get them. It's bloom season for the daylilies and my time is spoken for with kids garden projects and jobs.

Would love to know what everyone else orders and how they do this season and next as they settle into their homes.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
2:16 AM

Post #7562756

Lookey here!!. I'm "friends" with local gardening celebrity Marty Wingate and posted a brief bit tonight about how I had inadvertently cut off a vine that had new growth. Somebody posted that hardwood cuttings are not too difficult, but that softwood cuttings would be tougher.

She also said that there's an annual propagation workshop (this year on July 10) hosted by these guys . . .

http://www.rogersonclematiscollection.org/

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7562763

Propagation info on their site!

http://rogersonclematiscollection.org/?cat=12

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2010
3:07 AM

Post #7562906

Soooo... it sounds very much, after reading the info on that site (thanks, Kathy) that July would be a dandy time to share Clematis cuttings...

I meant to add: Julie, I am in communication with the woman from Silver Star, asking her which varieties she recommends for the side of my shed. The clematis I had growing on the side of the shed was Ville de Lyon. I had to dig that out because it needs more sun. I have an extra division of it. If you do not have that one, would you like a division?

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 7:10 PM
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7563360

If anyone sees a source for "Helios", would you let me know?

http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/nursery_shop/clematis/helios.html

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7563382

I have seed for this:
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/0566/, although it's not exactly the same cultivar. I also could give you a rooted piece of the one pictured (sorry, it's a terrible photo). It was labeled Clematis tibetana ssp. vernayi
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7563383

It helps to put the photo.

This is quite vigorous. It's the one I moved from the climbing rose to the red hazel. When I was in the garden this weekend, I noticed it still lives at the foot of the climbing rose. I can easily dig a piece for you if you like it. The seedheads are quite nice.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7564294

Wow. You never cease to amaze me, Melissa. Yes, I definitely want a piece of that. Do you remember if the purple is more purple or more blue? I want to combine it with something that will really provide contrast.

Thank you!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7564411

Has anyone had success with Florida Sieboldii? I have killed at least one in the past and am wondering if if is really hardy to Z 7. The pictures sure are pretty.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7564508

I have not. Did you ask on the Clematis forum? There are some pretty experienced gardeners there - I'm sure someone has it.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7564673

Melissa, I would love a start of Ville de Lyon. It is one that I have always liked, and I tried once in my yard but it perished (not it's fault... it was a tiny thing and the darn slugs munched it into nothingness... this was before I learned that tiny things need to go into pots for a while in my yard!).

I am trying to whittle down my list so Mom and I can make our Silver Star order today. I went through the website on two seperate occasions and made two seperate lists. I do this when I am ordering in bulk from a selection of certain plants as I find that what peaks my interest in two different moods is something that I want to try for sure, and allows me to re-evaluate things that I chose once but not twice. Is a list of 22 clems excessive? Some would think so. Back to whittling...
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7564693

Rarejem. Oh how I wish I had room for more clematis. 22 is not excessive.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7564756

Go with 22. If this is what brings you joy . . .

Last season I put a ring of rocks around the clematis base (where they're not protected from an inadvertent paw step by shrubs) to protect that vulnerable point. I think I might also try to add a layer of gravel over top to slow down the slugs a bit so I have time to pick them off . . .
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7565200

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, but I did manage to get my list down to 11 that I couldn't live without. I even know where almost every one of them is going to go! And 11 is nothing I am telling myself... I have planted over 30 roses in one season, over 50 daylilies in one season... 11 clems is complete self restraint!

Coming to my garden soon:
Arabella
Avantgarde Viticella
Betty Corning
Blue Dancer
Bourbon
Chinook
Constance
Daniel Deronda
Montana Wilsonii
Purpurea Plena
Rooguchi and
Royalty.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
12:29 AM

Post #7565213

Very nice. No Honey Buns?
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #7565247

Adorable, but out of stock!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7565267

Probably a good thing for those of us who have a few Honey Buns already, eh?
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
1:29 AM

Post #7565371

Probably. Besides, I don't think my property is very "lowrider friendly"... too many things to high center on!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2010
3:06 AM

Post #7565601

That "I hates it when I steps on my ears" kinda trouble?

This message was edited Feb 16, 2010 8:42 PM
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7565804

**giggling** Yup, that's the kind.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7566053

Kathy and Julie, they are yours. Glad to oblige. I will pot them. Kathy, the contrast on the outside of the bell is on the reddish purple side.

Julie, 11 clematis shows great restraint! Blue Dancer is on my list, too.

And now, at the risk of breaking the bank, I must tell you that Snowpeak Iris is having a 'clearing out all daylilies' sale. She is not going to be selling dayliles anymore. She has some very good deals. I have placed an order. Sigh.
http://snowpeakiris.com/newweb/Daylilly Clearance Sale.html

The bad thing about voles is that they eat my plants. The good thing about voles is that I then have to buy more plants. Bad voles. Good voles.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7566626

Pixydish wrote:
The bad thing about voles is that they eat my plants. The good thing about voles is that I then have to buy more plants. Bad voles. Good voles.

LMAO!

Pixy, I was tempted by the daylily sale... even followed the link when I still have five or do daylilies that were shared with me last fall that I don't have a place for yet. Fortunately for my recently depleted pocket book, there were only two in her list that are on my "must have" list, and that didn't make the minimum order (not to mention that they are two that Mom currently grows, so if I am patient I can get a division from her) so I resisted. There are some wonderful plants on that clearance list though! Some that are absolute favorites in my garden like Outrageous and Web of Intrigue and Neal Berry and Lee Pickles and... well, you get the idea. I grow at least a third of them, and there are only two or three on that list that I would "unrecommend". So if anyone is tempted by daylilies...

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7566723

I splurged for Frank's Fire Opal. Have you seen his stuff? A bit on the pricey side for me considering as much as I enjoy daylilies, I'm not 'into' them like collectors are. Still, some of his plants look like they come from another planet.
http://franksmithdaylilies.com/galleries/all_intros.htm

So here is what I ordered. Are there any losers on the list?

Franks Fire Opal,
2. Druids Chant,
3. Respighi,
4. Sea Urchin,
5. Wolf Eyes,
6. Paint the Town Red,
7. Orchid Candy,
8. Isle of zanzibar,

It was really hard to choose. I needed some purples so I tried to stick with those. I'm planning to put some at the feet of some clematis (just to bring it around to the thread, you know...). I traded with someone for what was supposed to be 'little grapette' two years ago. Turns out NOT so much little grape as Little orange thingy. Cute, but completely wrong.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7566759

I have: Druids Chant (love it... it is a chameleon and will have very different faces depending on the weather so keep that in mind if you are disapointed in it's first show). Respighi (a huge show stopper... I am using it in my breeding program). I am wondering if Sea Urchin is in fact Spiny Sea Urchin... a few of hers had slight oopses in their names...that is the only one I would question as we really don't get teeth here, but I have SSU and still really like it for the colors, even if mine doesn't get the "toothy" look. Paint the Town Red was new for me last year and is an incredible daylily (posted a pic on one of the recend threads... the must have's I think). Have friends that rave about Isle of Zanzibar and Wolf Eyes too, so sounds like you did well!
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7566764

BTW... Make your Silver Star clem order soon because Debbie said that she was getting low on a couple of the ones that I ordered and IMHO there is nothing worse than whittling down a list and then hearing "sold out" and having to start the process over again!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #7567099

I am off to look at the site again. Sigh... it is hard to decide. I want too many. I guess I will just have to want in one hand...
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7568364

I am still waiting to hear back from Debbie about cultivars she recommends for my shed. I guess I can narrow down my other choices, though. Thanks for letting me know. The 100$ here and 100$ there are starting to add up. And I just told my DH that I wasn't 'high maintenance'. As long as I could buy plants I was happy. I just didn't say how MANY plants I needed to buy.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 18, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7568452

Hey Pix - I found a list for you - quite a few varieties here:
http://www.clematisinternational.com/growing.html#pg5

My own experience is they flower best when they receive 3 or more hours of morning sun.
Otherwise, you get more foliage & while that's nice, I prefer to grow them for the flowers.
My Wada's Primrose has not flowered in the shade (2 hours a.m. & a couple hours p.m. sun); moving that one soon to full sun with a support.

This one is in the shade, always heading up the garden fence reaching for the Wisteria.

Thumbnail by Katye

mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7568495

Just ordered Asao, Princess Diana, Vyvyan Pennell and I also got an Avante Guarde for my friend.
I had 2 Niobes and a red Cardinal that I gave to my sister in law. They were great but the color was too redish-wine for me.
My yard is small and I just don't have room for everything I want.
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7568609

Mstish, I really wanted Asao as well, but Mom decided to order that one, so that helped me shrink my list as well (cuttings here we come!). At least a small yard keeps your spending in check!

Melissa, we NEVER tell how much we spend in the garden! DH just walks through and sees how lovely it is, and knows that I am always at home playing in the dirt rather than getting in trouble, so he is content. Then again, I never question how much $$ he spends on tools...
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7569298

Gary and I long ago agreed that I could spend as much on plants as he does on golf, and vice versa. Works wonderfully. As he heads out for the links, I yell out, "Get a cart!" Then off I go with the pickup to the nursery. We each spend a lovely day outside, and are rested and happy to see one another for drinks on the back deck.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7569410

He never questions me. He doesn't care at all and he enjoys the garden. His mother is a gardener and her yard is always on the 'garden tour' in the town where he grew up, so he is used to it from childhood. I just try to keep myself in check. I guess this year, so far, it isn't working out. HA! And the year isn't really started yet. I'm going to have to think vewwy vewwy cawfuwwllly about those clematis...
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7569417

bonehead wrote: As he heads out for the links, I yell out, "Get a cart!" Then off I go with the pickup to the nursery. We each spend a lovely day outside, and are rested and happy to see one another for drinks on the back deck.

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 18, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7569690

Bonehead you are funny. Get a cart - LOL!
Mstish I understand the small garden dilemma. I have the same problem!
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7569900

LOL, Pixydish. My husband and I have the same agreement. Only his weakness is drowning worms (he calls it fishing). Sometimes I wish he was into gardening but then I realize I wouldn’t be able to design and plant and change things the way I want them to be, I’d have to share those decisions with him. Wow, that sounds really stingy when I write it out in words.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 18, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7569970

Well, mstish, being single, I feel the same way. Yes, I DO have to do everything and make every decision by myself, which can be difficult. But I get to have my own way ALL the time and I try not to forget that.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
3:37 AM

Post #7570792

Ok, here is my Clematis Wish List:
Arctic Queen
Avante-Garde vitacella
Bee's Jubilee
Bourbon
Crystal Fountain
Dominika
Durandi
Etoile Violette vitacella
Fireworks
Florida Sieboldi
Guernsey Cream
Lady Betty Belfour
Liberation
Margaret Hunt
Minuet vitacella
Montana wilsonii
Multi Blue
Sugar Candy
Truernata Rubromarginot
Ville de Lyon
Princess Di
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7570804

Lynn you've gone over the edge: you're a bonafide clem addict!
Next on the list - procure some trellises (trellii?) for your babies to grow on.
Several of your selections will need ample room. Trust me, I learned the hard way...
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7570810

I have a couple of established (7') elderberry bushes I was going to dig out, but now I plan on running clematis vines up through them. For once it was good that I hadn't yet gotten around to something . . .
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
4:41 AM

Post #7570890

I cleaned out my gully garden (a thin planting area at the lip of a steep wooded drop at the edge of my front lawn) yesterday and was about to chop to the ground a fruit coctail tree that had perished when it's roots sloughed with the flooding last January, when I caught myself and thought "wait"! It has one tall branch that reaches skyward and touches the draping boughs of the cedar tree behind it. What an awesome place for a clem that grows and grows! Montana wilsonii is destined to have a "fruit coctail tree leading into a 75' cedar tree" trellis!
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 19, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7570895

"Yes, I DO have to do everything and make every decision by myself, which can be difficult. But I get to have my own way ALL the time and I try not to forget that."

Ditto!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
4:52 AM

Post #7570905

Julie - that's perfect. It'll be so dramatic.

Judi - you and I seem to be in parallel places right now . . .
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7570914

It sounds heavenly, Julie.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7571590

Lynn, are you planning to order all of those or are you currently going through the narrowing-down process? I found that to do that I did a cut and paste to my pictures so that I could look at all of the candidates at once. That helped.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7571935

It sounds heavenly katie and Portland.:-)
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7571958

I'm gonna tattle cause Lynn d-mailed me last night and said that she did it... she made the whole order! Then I started a rough calculation and figured that if we are successful in starting clems by cuttings, our three South Prairie Gals alone would have include over 50 cultivars of clems if we share cuttings from house to house. Hmmm... now that might truely be excessive... but don't think that we won't try it!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7571995

Oh, I think you should try it. :-)

Good for you, Lynn!! Just don't forget that you'll need slug bait and food for all your new babies, too.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7572011

Didn't your mother teach you it is not nice to be a tattle tale? Just kidding. Yes, I drooled and drooled and tried to cut my order, but instead it kept growing. So I decided that it would be easier and cheaper to just order them and not keep looking. It is a good thing I am not looking at puppies.

I did tell Debbie that I was going to check with you first to make sure you have the room in your car for them. Also, I want you to pick out one that you really want and haven't ordered, so I can get it for you. It was going to be a surprise, but I can't keep a secret, and I didn't want to duplicate something you already have.

Can you envision all of the beautiful clems we will have if we are successful at starting some of them? I can picture them climbing up everything. Lots to share with friends.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

February 19, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7572440

Willow - just remember that I can make all the decisions but if things go wrong, I have no one to blame but myself!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 19, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #7572444

That's okay. I have strong wide shoulders.:)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7573264

I'm getting ready to order. should I use her 'cart' or should I email the order?
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2010
4:46 AM

Post #7573386

What did you order Pixy?
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7573416

Pixy, Use her cart, and then make a note in the bottom section regarding pickup. You don't pay on the site, you pay after she sends and invoice and she adjusts it for pickup. Yes, inquiring minds want to know... what are you ordering?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7573666

She has recommended Claire de Lune, but I don't see it on her site. I've emailed to ask if she has it. I used to have it, but I killed it, or the voles got it, or something. So I want that if she has it. In addition:

Silver Moon
Jan Lindmark
Will Goodwin
Mrs. N. Thompson
Blue Dancer
Gazelle
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7576187

http://www.gardenwiseonline.ca/gw/how/2009/05/22/creating-living-willow-trellis-clematis

Evey on the clematis forum posted this.

I ordered a few clems from simplyclems last night:

Diana's Delight
Pink Champagne
Macropetala Markham's Pink
Mrs. Robert Brydon
Kiri Te Kanawa

Will be getting more from silver star when I decide.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7577027

Hey! What is my cat doing in her photo? I wondered where he was yesterday! That is cool.

I don't know whether to thank you or not for referring to ordering from simplyclems. Sigh. Now I have to look at her stuff. You knew you would make me do that.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7578092

Hee hee . . .
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2010
3:54 AM

Post #7578103

Resisting...Resisting...NOT CLICKING...
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7578119

Well, I did look, but honestly, I probably will not order from her because she is way down in Louisiana. I've had enough problems with plants that come from sunny California. They die on me in most alarming numbers. I would probably kill plants from Louisiana, even though they should do fine here. Plus, for a year in which I was going to 'slow down' on buying plants, I'm already batting 1000 with all the coops I'm in.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7578132

Good point. I don't order that much, so we'll see what happens . . . I'm going to try to make the propagation device and hope to have some success with cuttings this year.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

February 22, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7578203

Hi Pixy, a friend sent me a link to your post. I wanted to let you know that, while I am located in Louisiana, my growers are not. I obtain my plants via wholesale purchase from the same national licensed growers that your local nursery does... and the same growers that are used by Garden Crossings. There are actually very few licensed clematis growers in the United States, especially for the Evison cultivars... and these growers are predominantly located up near you guys! I place my orders early in Fall so that I'm able to offer my customers the plants I would like to purchase myself. The plants are then tagged for me and they go through vernalization. After they break dormancy, the growers ship the clematis to me, they go through inspection by the Ag Extension Service, and then they are sent out to my customers. They spend about two weeks here in Louisiana, in a closed greenhouse. I will be getting new plants at the beginning of each month through the growing season and any that are not presold and shipped out quickly are destined for our local parks... or will be sold in some garden shows I am attending. I don't have the greenhouse space to retain holdovers. So, what my customers receive aren't "Louisiana" plants at all. They've been hardened off for the coldest of environments by the growers with a controlled vernalization process. I hope that puts your mind at ease.

Evey =)

EDIT: P.S. - Katie, thanks for posting a link to me and also for the order. I appreciate it very much!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2010 11:01 PM
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7578307

Evey - what a small world. :-) Good to see you here. Thanks for popping in. I had no idea what the process was - I know we have at least one grower here pretty close to me, but I don't see anything from them very often. I think they're in Clearview.

Based on the weather this year, the plants shouldn't much know the difference between Washington and Louisiana. LOL
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

February 22, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7578322

So true! We've had snow twice here this year, and we had almost three weeks where temps dropped down to the teens. It's been a crazy year here in the South. =)
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7578327

Thanks for the info, Evey. Those are some well traveled plants! Yes, with our weather being yours and your weather being ours, maybe they wouldn't know the difference.
Rats. Now I have to really look harder at her site. Sigh. I can't get away with anything on this site.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

February 22, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7578330

Something else y'all might not realize... we're zone 8b here too! Our winter temps are not all that different. It's the summer ones that are way off.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7578336

Oh yes, I've lived in Louisiana. They are WAY off! LOL! And the humidity, too. WAY off!!!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

February 22, 2010
5:08 PM

Post #7579091

Ah, then yes, you definitely know!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7641682

FYI, McLendon's has "Snowdrift" right now in full bloom. Melissa, is it fragrant? I will give you a price report if I can get hold of Julie who should be there about now.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7644275

Sharon, mine grows so high up in the tree, I wouldn't know. It's blooming now, though.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

March 25, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7654856

Ooooo I returned from out of town to see my evergreen clematis climbing over the shed and blooming like crazy. So pretty!
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
9:27 AM

Post #7654949

Yeah, Portland. My evergreen clematis now looks dead. I am so sad because it was finally starting to grow. I have now killed 3 of them. Time to move on!!!
ladybuggfan
Carnation, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7656131

I'd love to see a picture of one that is happy as I'm working on killing the one we have. Can't seem to figure out "why" it's so unhappy... anyone have clues for me.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2010
7:08 PM

Post #7656261

Bonehead and I are having the same problem. I'm wondering if there wasn't a bad "shipment" of these last year. It could be viral or bacterial. This is an interesting article:

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4801
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7656419

Gotta say -- I got my Apple Blossom at the grocery store, which can be a bit suspect to me...I usually trust nursery stock better, but alas, can't pass by dropping a plant or two in my basket as I'm heading into the store.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7656456

I can't remember where I got mine, but it was last year and it was a good price, so probably not a bonafide nursery.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7658308

Katie, I snipped off absolutely every leaf that showed a sign of disease about a week ago, and took them down the hill far far away. My new growth looks healthy so far, crossing fingers.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7658322

So there's still life. That's good!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7706546

I just got my order from Simply Clems and am very pleased. I ordered 5 plants. I don't do a lot of plant buying by mail order, but this is hands down the best plant shipment I've ever received. The plants are in 4 inch pots, but theyhave great roots and are full and lush. Great care was taken so that they didn't get squished at all.

Two of them are ready to bloom!!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7834502

Bump . . .

Brushwood is having a sale, apparently . . .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101576/
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #7837555

Not very nice Kathy... I still have two left to plant from my SilverStar order...
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7837596

Oops. Sorry. If it helps, I still have several to plant from my Simply Clems order. And it doesn't look like Kiri Te Kanawa made it. It wilted the day after it got here and just hasn't recovered. Hmmm . . . wonder why?
Rarejem
(Julie)South Prairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7837667

I had one stem on my Bourbon wilt from my SS order and it worried me horribly as I had just lost my big one to the wilt. The rest of the plant seems to be doing OK, but time will tell. I don't like that wilt stuff!
Kur
Redmond, WA

May 28, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7838219

Yay - thanks Katie... I'm bummed about the weather, I'm pretty sure the cure is an online plant sale! :)
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2010
8:35 PM

Post #7838243

Yes. Did you all order from Bluestone? I'm broke because of that one. And I have so much planting still to do . . .
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
11:37 PM

Post #7838650

Kathy - what do Kiri's roots look like?
This has happened to some of my clems - they were fine, just needed underground R&R for a bit.
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2010
11:39 PM

Post #7838652

Still white, but I haven't looked for the last couple of days. And they continue to get assaulted by rain . . . I hope you're right. I haven't given up!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7880316

I've wanted a clematis but it's not doable unless I can keep it in a container, which I've found is possible yay! My neighbor has one that I absolutely love and occasionally get tempted to get cuttings off.

It's about 5 feet tall and hangs on a decorative metal trellis. It does really well and has been there for years. Really pretty but I'm not sure on the variety.

Thumbnail by tikipod

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America