Clematis

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Just thought I'd create a thread so we could come back to it later (and find it!):

This gal is in Washington:

http://www.silverstarvinery.com

And then there are the sites of two DG members:

http://www.gardenvines.com

http://www.simplyclems.com/

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Rooguchi - saw this in the lovely garden of a British woman during the Woodinville garden tour. I wasn't going to go last year as they had gotten somewhat tasteless (and more about how much $$ you spend). But apparently the organizers got that message and the tours were really nice.

She and her husband stood outside in the garden and welcomed people (along with the head gardener). The owner lovingly called his wife a 'horticultural maniac'. They had redone their property and accomplished everything in 5 years. Of course, it did take a pretty penny to do it, but it was very tasteful and refined in a sort of wild way.

Of course, wouldn't you know that my camera battery would run out at the beginning of this tour? I have half a mind to stop by again this year and ask if I can wander through . . .

Thumbnail by katie59
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

That's very beautiful! Mine has never been so large. Now I believe I know why. Voles!

(Judi)Portland, OR

I think I need a clematis to grow up my birch tree. Dry and somewhat shady, especially in the summer when the trees are full.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Why stop at 1, Portland? They bloom at different times and in different colors. This is the evergreen clematis that blooms in the birch tree in late april. It has climbed all the way to the top of the tree, about 80 feet up.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

There are going to be some great clematis companion planting ideas...

North Lakewood, WA(Zone 8b)

Katie will you send me one. I think I deleted one in my e-mail thinking it was spam. Thanks

(Judi)Portland, OR

I did get an invite but haven't had the time to fiddle with the site yet. I am reluctant to get into another site since it means more time with the computer.

Pix it went 80 feet!!! Wow - what kind is it?

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

No requirement, but worth it if you're shopping for clematis ideas . . .

(Judi)Portland, OR

I just went over and looked around a little. When I have more energy I will hunt around more. Should be interesting!

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Clematis armandii 'snowdrift'. It's just trying to find the sunshine, Portland.
I checked out the site. Yes, it takes a little energy to look around. I find it fascinating that there is a 'hand's off' approach to the individual discussion threads, that people can talk about whatever they like just like real grown ups. That just fascinates me endlessly. It's probably going to be a very good site. Katie, I'll have to find the clematis. I love the name of the site. it's very good. Are you the moderator of lematis ?
I'm not willing to give up this one, though, unless it gets cumbersome or wired with commercial traffic, or some such nonsense. And I already spend so much time on this site, that adding another one just means more behind time for me on the chair, which is not a good thing. Still, I'm keeping my eye on things. He has a few bugs to work out, but he's a darn good programmer. He'll get it done.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not moderator - the gal who runs simplyclems.com is. She seems very organized, but more about the plants than being the police. The new site seems to me to be much more of a social experiment with thousands of "Dave" disciples as guinea pigs. We'll see. It'd be hard to replicate this in terms of function and resource.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I think I will order the armandii snowdrift to keep my birch tree company. It's a good thing I don't live closer to Silver Star Vinery. Looking online is tempting enough but if I saw all those lovelies in person there's no telling how many I would bring home to my tiny garden.......

Pix, ditto. DG is so easy to navigate so I will also stay here unless it gets crazy. But I will also go now and then to watch how it's coming along.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

So after happily perusing Silver Star Vinery's website, I have decided that all of my current clematis need complimentary friends on their trellis'. I have several of the big flowered varieties, but have been really drawn to the litteler ones as a contrast, so will probably be ordering a few of them. I would also be curious to hear more about the herbacious varieties. So, I will be looking for a friend for "Fireworks"....

Thumbnail by Rarejem
(Judi)Portland, OR

Uh ho - I can't find armandii snowdrift on the website! Does it have another name?

Broken picture link? What the heck?

Judy, here is the link for it on Dave's....

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96012/

I am going to try another pic of Fireworks and see if it works, and if not, will wait to post more until later.....

Thumbnail by Rarejem
(Judi)Portland, OR

Thank you Julie!

OK, looks like the pics are working now. This one I forget the name of, but after a rough start, it has made a nice addition to my grape arbor.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Multi Blue can definitely use a friend on it's arbor!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

A close up of Multi Blue. I have two of these, and just adore them!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Another clem that I no longer have the tag for, but it has plenty of room to share with another.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I love my Jackmanii, but I don't think that I could squeeze another one in here. Somewhere in that mess is my Jasminum stephanense, which has made a great trellis for the clematis.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Melissa, I forgot to say that you pic of your evergreen is gorgeous. I am so sad to have lost mine.... it was well up into one of my cedar trees, and I lost it in the cold of the winter last year. I could not find another one last spring, so I replaced it with one of the Montannas. Mom had one that was at least 80' into a cedar at her house as well, and she thought that she had lost hers that same winter, but when we were walking a week or so ago, we noticed that at least hers is coming back from the roots!

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I was at McClendon's today, Julie, and they have evergreen clematis, 1 gallon pot, 'Appleblossom'. 12.99 You need one. .. I almost bought one, then got hold of myself.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I think I need to go to Portland Nursery - I so want two evergreens. One to climb up a fence and the other to climb up a birch tree. Or maybe two for the fence, to keep each other company...

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Anybody have success with the Clems that do okay in the shade or part shade? I'd love to add 2 to the front of the barn in the raised beds on either side of the doors and would love some suggestions on ones that do well here.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I was reading that Bee's Jubilee does well on the north side of a house ,in the shade. It's a very pretty one, but I don't grow it myself.

I went around the yard and wrote down all the clematis I have and it's way more than I thought. Then I remembered that the one that is climbing through the privet tree behind the waterfall was a NOID that I got for next to nothing last year since it had lost its tag. So I will be surprised! I have at least 15 clematis! Who knew! Many of them simply have not been in the ground long enough to really do anything. Plus, Nelly Moser is coming back. Apparently the voles did not get all of her. I will protect her with castor granules, which they hate.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

So here is one I forgot I had. I'm going through old photos to see what maybe hasn't bloomed in awhile due to either soil conditions or voles, etc. This vine is still here, but didn't bloom last year. This was in 2007. I don't know what this one is. It's blooming on May 31. I probably have it recorded somewhere, the name, that is.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Rarejem: you grow clematis on your grapes? That sounds intriguing, and opens up new vistas for me -- I have a ladder type trellis with 6 grapes (of unknown name) growing on it. Various (real) geraniums at their feet and between the up-posts. Maybe I need to add some clems...??

Pixiedish: I am so sorry about the voles, they seem to crop up on a quite regular basis in all your postings.

Kirkland, WA(Zone 7b)

What colours of clems do you want to plant in the shade, Kris?

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I am a little focused on them, I guess. Mostly because I didn't know I had them until last year. I'm still discovering new areas that they have compromised.
I think clematis with grapes would be beautiful. Also, I'm interested in what Kayte has to say about cultivars that do well in shade. Today I dug up the NOID clematis that I had growing on the north side of my shed. Every year it stretches around to the sunny side of the shed when what I really want is for it to cover the shady side. .

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Well....I was looking for white, lavender and dk purple but I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already. I chose Mrs. Chomondeley (sp?) for the front of the barn (part shade), Montana Broughton Star (Rose Arbor companion -1/2 day sun); Montana Wilsonii (lite shade - seed house); Royality/Vyvyan Pennell for the Garage Arbor - pm shade; and Montana Tetrarose for a Cedar(part shade). We'll see how I do with these. Hoping to site them where they don't have wet winter feet.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Quote from ladybuggfan :
I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already.
ROFLOL! Join the club!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

My brother has a clematis that grow with the grape. They've been duking it out for several years now.

Kris - sounds like you've made some great choices!

Quote from ladybuggfan :
I got into trouble with Silver star Vinery already. .

Add Mom and I to that club. Because we decided that we wanted SEVERAL plants each, Debbie at Silver Star Vinery suggested that we order and then come down an pick them up rather than pay for shipping. She asked that we pre-order and pre-pay, and suggested that the best time to pick up the plants would be the first week in May. I also asked her if it would be OK to pick up orders for other people (thought that there might be a few of you in my area that might want to order *grin*), and she said that that would be just fine.

SO..... If there are people who want to make an order and save on shipping (note that I think that there will still be a handling charge), we would be happy to pick up the plants for you and get them at least as close as Federal Way around the first week in May. It would be up to you to pick them up from us here at work, or from home (always happy to have folks visit!) once we have them. If the trip to Whidbey works out, we would be willing to bring them then, but I don't want to promise anything along those lines because you never know what may come up between now and then. Debbie said to make your order as you normally would, and tell her in the order that you will be having them picked up by either Julie Gair or Sharon MacPhail. She will deduct the shipping off of your order. If you do want us to do this for you, will you please d-mail me and let me know when/what you have ordered, so that we can have a check list when we get there?

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow Julie, what a wonderful offer. I would love to take you up on that, but I know how things go for me. I'll have a tough time getting "over" to get them. It's bloom season for the daylilies and my time is spoken for with kids garden projects and jobs.

Would love to know what everyone else orders and how they do this season and next as they settle into their homes.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Lookey here!!. I'm "friends" with local gardening celebrity Marty Wingate and posted a brief bit tonight about how I had inadvertently cut off a vine that had new growth. Somebody posted that hardwood cuttings are not too difficult, but that softwood cuttings would be tougher.

She also said that there's an annual propagation workshop (this year on July 10) hosted by these guys . . .

http://www.rogersonclematiscollection.org/

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Propagation info on their site!

http://rogersonclematiscollection.org/?cat=12

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Soooo...... it sounds very much, after reading the info on that site (thanks, Kathy) that July would be a dandy time to share Clematis cuttings...

I meant to add: Julie, I am in communication with the woman from Silver Star, asking her which varieties she recommends for the side of my shed. The clematis I had growing on the side of the shed was Ville de Lyon. I had to dig that out because it needs more sun. I have an extra division of it. If you do not have that one, would you like a division?

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 7:10 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

If anyone sees a source for "Helios", would you let me know?

http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/nursery_shop/clematis/helios.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.