-
AuthorContent
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 10, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7548385

Hi everyone,

I am new to this WSing and I am looking forward to trying it this year.

I wanted to add a suggestion for other new Winter Sowers for your containers.When I first found out about WS I thought to myself what am I going to do about containers? How on earth am I going to gather enough to get started.

I went to the local recycle center site in my area and hit pay dirt. They had clean containers off all sizes shapes. I got clear water jugs, five gallon ice cream buckets with handles(clear ones) and nice clear large salad containers with high tops that clamp down. I was like a kid in a candy store.

I hope this may help other newbees to WS

I just got my seeds from Jungs today and I am itching to get started. I think it is still a little to soon in my area zone 5. Is there anything I can start right now?

Amos

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7548785

Amos -- isn't it fun when you find great containers?

I love those ice cream buckets with handles. I have one somewhere, but the lid is missing i think.

you can start perennials now.

Terese
Frank65
Hallowell, ME

February 11, 2010
8:56 PM

Post #7551706

I'm new this year too but I'm using the milk jugs for now. I too went to the recycle place and hit pay dirt with the milk jugs. I didn't look for anything else but next time I'm in there I will. I just finished planting some perennials today and set them out. I'm really anxious about how successful I'll be. I'm zone 5. I usually start my veggies and flowers indoors the lst of April using heat mats and flourescent lights. I'm doing some for a friend too so I'll have to buy another heat mat.
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7552045

This will be my 3rd year w.s.Zone 5 works great for w.s.If you follow this forum in the coming months.You will notice people will be commenting about this and that sprouted.You will go look at your containers and notice that nothing has happened.People in warmer climates will have earlier results than us zone fivers.Don't get discouraged.It will happen.You will have bragging rights too.It might just be 6 or 8 weeks later.Alot of perennials seeds love the freeze.They also like the up and down temps of early spring.It really helps them germinate.After all it is natures way.Keep the faith!Edge
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

February 18, 2010
3:41 AM

Post #7568338

I found grapes at the market in containers already full of both top and bottom openings. We have eaten enough grapes to last a year but I got my containers. Wife not too surprised she's always had doubts about my sanity.---------------Weedy
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7626538

Our recycle center is massive and it would never allow you to go through the recyle bins for jugs. It would be too dangerous.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7642633

Glad you were able to get all those containers. Happy Wintersowing! Keep us posted of your progress and if you know how to post pictures, we'd love to see them! You're in for a fun ride..it's my first year trying WS too. Hope we are both successful. Don't be afraid to ask questions or share any tips you find works for you. This is a great forum; folks are very helpful and generous and kind.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7642656

Amos..just sent you a D-mail.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7659884

Amos, I always use the recycle center for my containers. Why keep them around and collect them when all you have to do is go to the recycling center?
I know most people prefer gallon milk jugs, but I like the 1/2 gallon milk jugs or the 2 L. soda bottles. I also use the Panera Bread soda cups. They are clear, and I can see quickly what's going on. I use the smaller bottles because I don't usually want a lot of one plant, and it saves on using so much seed starting soil. Everyone has their own way of doing things that works best for them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America