greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7548524

I have an electric Nesco slicer which we bought primarily for meat, but I've been using it to slice my homemade sandwich bread, too. However, it keeps catching the bottom of the slice and tearing it, so that it's harder to use in a toaster or a sandwich. What do you people do to get your bread in nice, even slices? If I cut it by hand it ends up too thick at the bottom or on one side, and it's also a pain...
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

February 10, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7548543

I just use a serated knife. Haven't had any problems.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7548550

I don't have any problems slicing with a serrated knife, but I can't get the slices even that way, and I'd rather have them all sliced at once so I can just grab what I need from the bag the loaf is in.
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 10, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7548807

http://www.bread-maker.net/norpro-breadslicerwcrumbcatcher.aspx
i used some thing like this when i was a bread baker--

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 10, 2010
11:22 PM

Post #7548997

You know, I actually looked at those sorts of things a while ago. The reviews for this product and for several others like it on Amazon weren't very good, which is why I didn't buy one. People said it was cheaply made, the screws didn't hold, it cracked... of course there were a few good reviews, but on average it seemed as though there were more problems than positives.
planolinda
Plano, TX

February 10, 2010
11:33 PM

Post #7549033

the one i had was not the same and had no screws or parts--just a wooden thing you put your bread in and then slats on each side to put your knife thruogh and cut
i bet this one with the bad reviews has it so you can choose which width to cut and mine only had the one width

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7549610

No, they had one with a wooden bottom and plastic sides with slats, and some people complained that the wood was too soft and splintered easily. They probably don't make the one you had anymore. Isn't that always the way?
Zinnia1
Clinton Township, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7549955

I don't have an electric slicer, I use a serrated knife or my electric knife if slicing an entire loaf. Don't know if you tried any of this tricks, but here are some things learned through trial and error that may help with the slicer, too.

I always lay the bread on it's side (when using a serrated or electric knife) instead of cutting from the top of the loaf to the bottom. With a slicer, try rotating the bread 90 degrees from how you usually hold it. Don't apply pressure to the bread, make the blade do all the work. What kind of bread do you make? Denser breads cut easier than softer breads. For white bread, have you tried a recipe specifically called 'sandwich' bread? Sandwich white bread is just slightly denser than regular white bread and easier to cut. When I want to slice an entire loaf of softer bread, I pop it in the freezer for 15 minutes, not enought to freeze it solid, just cold enough to hold the crumb together so I can cut it. Lastly, sometimes I also use a slice guide with a bottom made from antimicrobial plastic (like a cutting board). I found it really cheap at a restaurant supply house. Hope some of these help.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 12:11 AM

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7550964

Zinnia, the bread I'm trying to slice is a whole wheat sandwich loaf. It's fairly dense. With the electric slicer it sometimes catches at the bottom instead of falling out cleanly, and tears the bread. I checked around for other slicers and just found this, which looks well-made, so I ordered it:

http://www.smithswood.com/proddetail.asp?prod=328C

We'll see how that works!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7576648

Okay, reporting back, the Smithswood wooden slicer works really well. I've just used it once so far and I don't know how well it will hold up; I ordered the acrylic shield for the base to protect it from the knife blade so that should help. It guides my knife so that it cuts my bread easily and makes nice, even slices. I happened to have a very long serrated knife already, which fit the slicer perfectly.

I still can't figure out how other people uses the electric slicers like mine for cutting bread without tearing it off at the bottom!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

April 2, 2010
10:04 PM

Post #7676034

I use just a serrated knife too, but then the bread I make is usually pretty dense, on purpose. lol. I would love to find a slicer than made THIN slices of bread... alas...the godess of slicers doesn't listen to me...

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2010
4:12 AM

Post #7676315

The Smithswood slicers come in several different slicing widths. I got the regular but I think I might have been happier with the thin slicer. Who knew? Still, it does a very nice job and enables me to get nice, even slices, which was the point.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America