Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Mantel decor that shows against brick in dim downstairs

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

That's it- what can I use for mantel decor that will show? I have an oak mantel resting on brick that sticks out and is all surrounded by brick. Being in a half-basement there is a window but the area is not that bright. Any ideas? Maybe I just err on the side of too small objects. I don't like to buy something big ($$) if I'm not gonna like it.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you could find a large oil painting at a thrift or goodwill with the colors of the room's decor in it, but step up the colors a notch in brightness, hue, etc. you don't need to put a hole in the brick although that is easy enough to do with a drill. i prefer a painting leaning on the wall. i also don't like paintings under glass. unless you invest in good, glare-proof glass, you end up not seeing the picture for the glare. sometimes even an unframed painting looks good, so don't rule one out based on a lousy frame.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mirrors because they'll reflect the light you already have and make it brighter.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh, good idea! lots of small mirrors or three semi-large ones, hung unevenly would look great.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Wonder how it would look if you used a large mirror with a rope of those Christmas like lights laying between the wall and the mantle..Would be subtle and could be left on all the time. Laverne

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I keep meaning to make some time to look for mirrors. There is an outlet above the mantel for a light.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I vote for the mirror too - and if you have room some mercury glass on to add a little more reflected 'light'

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I used to have that setup in a previous house and I just put whatever up there and it showed just fine! Anything with candlelight would look esp nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.