Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: First (scary) year for WS questions

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7553594

I've taken a deep breath, gathered containers, and am ready to 'dig in' so to speak! I have a couple questions that I haven't been able to find on links or threads, though they are most likely there~

I would like to WS some radishes and carrots in deep windowboxes. My friend will make a 'frame' of 6mm poly, which will be able to withstand the snowfall, ice, etc., with vent holes, and of course, drainage holes in the bottom. So that when I have seedlings I can remove and reattach as needed. I would leave these crops in the wb to maturity. Do you think this would work?

Question 2: Would coir be a good medium for the containers, or would potting soil be preferred?

Any feedback much appreciated.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7554063

I think your describing a cold frame which will work great.

As far as the medium, I would not use (cocoa?)coir, since it has little to no nutritional value. A potting mix would be much better
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7554094

radishes would probably gow in your pocket if you let them. the carrots need some depth however.. some more than others.

I love the idea, I am doing something similar with lettuces in a window box. a window box can get cold, consider putting some insulation (the solid, sheet type) or bubble wrap inside the box so the soil can reserve heat and not lose it so fast to the cold night winds. otherwise, have at it, sounds like a good idea.. i can't get enough fresh carrots.
-joe-
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7558042

You could wintersow radishes in a windowbox wrapped in bubblewrap? I had the worst time growing radishes last season, this seems worth a try. I am already growing cress inside in a windowbox (I love those self watering windowboxes, I keep my eyes open for sales.) I think I will try radishes in my old fashioned leaky windowbox wrapped in bubblewrap and placed next to the building.
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2010
12:18 AM

Post #7559457

Just 'caught' some soon to be tossed bubble-wrap! Thanks for the idea!
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7567070

last year, the empty window boxes fro the summer were lined with bubble wrap, filled with dirt and seeded, the bubble wrap was almost three times as long as the planters and made a flap i could cover at night and open on the 40 degree days. lettuce - green ice and arugula specifically - did extremely well, We had salads by easter which allowed plenty of time to pull out the wrap, and re-seed them. It was so good, we ate it too fast. 1 window box lasted less than a week with 2-3 salads per night. Hindsight would be :
radishes and peas may be better as they are a great 'snack' crop the peas will drape out of the boxes and flower in early spring..
-joe-
clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7567582

Never thought of peas...Great idea!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2010
3:48 AM

Post #7568353

I would fill with some good seed starter mix for the wb, that is what I use in mine. Plus most things that like cold are worth the try.

If you have access to some worm castings add that as well. I'm doing an experiment with worm castings in some of my milk jugs this year and then another set of the same seeds in a jug with just the seed starter mix.

Janet

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America