Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Blue chicken eggs cholesterol free??

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7556011

A little old lady I give my eggs to insists that my EE chicken eggs are cholesterol free or at the very least lower. I really can't see why this would be true but she seems pretty sure of it. Her and her DH are on a low cholesterol diet so she only wants my blue eggs. I really don't care either way but I would not want her to bet their health on a false truth. Can anyone tell me if this is true and also if there are any articles that address this so I can show her.
Thank you!
Caren
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 13, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7556140

Hi Caren: I think she knows what she is talking about. If I remember correctly your birds are free range! Right! There is a great article out by Mother Earth on Oct 15th 2008 concerning the low cholesterol of fresh free range eggs. Also concerning the high amount of vitamins like seven times more bet carotene versus store bought eggs. You should be able to google the article. Good luck. Haystack.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 13, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7556145

No it is not true. But it is a common belief. If you google "blue eggs cholesterol" you can find many articles concerning it. For example:

http://www.kitchenchick.com/2005/06/blue_eggs_the_c.html

Basically it is what the chickens eat that control the cholesterol and omega 3 fatty acid content. Free range are the best.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx

Hi, Haystack!

This message was edited Feb 13, 2010 12:10 PM
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7556377

Yes, they do free range most of the day. I'll let her know she's half right lol! Maybe I'll get her to take the brown eggs now too since they all eat the same thing the eggs should all be equally healthy.

One more question thou... In my search to find more info on this subject I found a statement made that the fats and cholesterol in fertilized eggs is better metabolized by the body. Is there any truth to that one?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 13, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7556399

I don't think there is any evidence of that. It is a claim that is made by some people--but there is no research to support it. I think people feel that the fertilized ones somehow have more of the "vital force", which is hard to quantify.

From the following government pub:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Focus_On_Shell_Eggs/index.asp

Are Fertilized Eggs More Nutritious?
No. There is no benefit in eating fertilized eggs. There is no nutritional difference in fertilized eggs and infertile eggs. Most eggs sold today are infertile; roosters are not housed with the laying hens. If the eggs are fertile and cell development is detected during the candling process, they are removed from commerce.

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2010
1:14 AM

Post #7557207

Thank you both for the Info!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America