Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Is it too late to get seeds off the plant this Winter?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7556211

I saw some Marigolds in a parking lot that they left the whole plants there for the Winter. I've grown Marigolds from seeds before but they weren't exposed to the bone-chilling cold we've had already. Am I too late in getting them maybe? Can the seeds take the cold? I know the plant is hardy, but above ground for the seeds?
Thanks
trc65
Galesburg, IL

February 13, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7556655

As long as the seeds were mature before the killing frost, they should be fine. The only other potential problem with them is if they hadn't fully dried down and developed some mold. Grab a handful and go for it, you have nothing to lose.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7557741

Thanks, I think I'll give them a try. My friend says the seeds probably already fell off, but I'm not so sure.
Now, if I can just get them from the Wendy's drive-thru speaker median area without making a scene and having the cops called on me! I'm thinking the real cold (2 degrees) didn't come until Dec.- Jan., so I'm hoping they were mature.
I just sidle up with they're fountain drink and get seeds, it worked at McDonalds on they're 'Bloodgood' tree, before I learned that 'Bloodgood' seedlings aren't red all year..lol
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 25, 2010
2:17 AM

Post #7585685

Marigolds can be harvested at any time. Freezing doesn't affect their viability. I have many that dry and stay on the plant until March. Hope this helps

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America