Is it too late to get seeds off the plant this Winter?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I saw some Marigolds in a parking lot that they left the whole plants there for the Winter. I've grown Marigolds from seeds before but they weren't exposed to the bone-chilling cold we've had already. Am I too late in getting them maybe? Can the seeds take the cold? I know the plant is hardy, but above ground for the seeds?
Thanks

Galesburg, IL

As long as the seeds were mature before the killing frost, they should be fine. The only other potential problem with them is if they hadn't fully dried down and developed some mold. Grab a handful and go for it, you have nothing to lose.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I think I'll give them a try. My friend says the seeds probably already fell off, but I'm not so sure.
Now, if I can just get them from the Wendy's drive-thru speaker median area without making a scene and having the cops called on me! I'm thinking the real cold (2 degrees) didn't come until Dec.- Jan., so I'm hoping they were mature.
I just sidle up with they're fountain drink and get seeds, it worked at McDonalds on they're 'Bloodgood' tree, before I learned that 'Bloodgood' seedlings aren't red all year..lol
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Marigolds can be harvested at any time. Freezing doesn't affect their viability. I have many that dry and stay on the plant until March. Hope this helps

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.