February 2010 Journal

southeast, NE

Happy almost Valentines Day!

Is it spring yet? This seems to be a long winter. We are counting our blessings after seeing what other parts of the country are going through? How much snow have you all received so far this winter? I think we’re at around two feet. There was an article in the paper several weeks ago about how the weather is impacting the cow/calf industry. We had our first snowstorm in early December. That’s early compared to previous years. Producers usually left their cows on grass or corn stocks. With that source of forage covered with snow, producers (including us) had to start feeing silage and hay sooner than usual. Of course, that has driven the price of hay way up and cows are ending up at the sale barns. DH was at a consignment sale about a month ago and round bales of alfalfa were bringing $90. DH is quite pleased with himself that he decided to grow more alfalfa last year. Even with the crappy weather, our cows are doing well. (Knocking on wood very loudly!)

I’ve been hit with a nasty cold with a terrible cough. I feel like I’m coughing my brains out. So far benadryl works at night. I missed two days of work – should have stayed home the third day.

We’re almost done lambing. It went pretty well this year – 75% wethers. We have 4 bottle lambs. We’re feeding them goats’ milk. Three or our nannies kidded. Two sets of twins and one set of triplets. Calving should start any day now. I wish it would warm up and dry out.

We picked up another border collie several weeks ago. Cracker, a two year old male, has been trained to work with cows. He has a wonderful personality and is very smart. It only took two “stern commands” and he has learned not to follow the tractor down the road.

DD’s tummy is growing. The doctor told her a couple of weeks ago that the baby was the size of avocado so they’re calling it guacamole for the time being. She finds out the sex in early March. My 3 year old niece said she is going to have a girl. She predicted her sister was going to be a girl when everyone else thought she was going to be a boy.

Better get back to the laundry and cleaning.

You all take care!

Richmond, TX

We are having a colder wetter winter than usual, but nothing like the east coast has experienced. Hay is expensive here too due to the drought last summer followed by early (rare) snow and freezing weather. My cows would like another round bale but they are still fat and the pasture is too wet to get in and back out. "Moo, moo!" Poor girls!

Waddy, KY

We only have maybe 3 inches of that foul word on the ground right now. We've been buying hay since about Christmas. $20 a roll and it's RFV is pretty good so we figure the price is worth it. This is basically grass/clover mix hay. Lesser hay is bringing $10-$15 a bale. Less than last year but then again we had rain this summer.

At least the snow is providing some protection to the late planted daylilies that I didn't get mulched. Hopefully it won't heave them out of the ground before spring.

Our first calf hit the ground this past week. The heifers usually freshen a couple weeks earlier than the older cows, hopefully to give them a little more time to get their acts together before we start the GnRH and Lutelyse.

I think I'm going to start a flat of tomatoes here in a day or so and try a low tunnel this year. If I could get the tomatoes to market a few weeks sooner that could help the profit a little bit. I also think I'm going to have a second and maybe even a third planting this year. Hopefully we won't see the blight like so many people did last year.

DD wants a bottle lamb and we all resoundingly tell her no. At least not until we get to the other house and possibly I retire. There's only so much a body can do each day and a milk cow, goats and lambs don't figure into the picture at this point.

Stay warm everybody. They're calling for 4-6 inches for us the next couple of days.....

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We are having a mild winter with not much snow. I have not had to wear boots many days but we did have a rain on top of snow, followed by several below freezing nights and days, resulting in very slick conditions for walking and driving. I bought some Yaktrax to strap on to my boots to keep from falling down. They're well worth the money (about $20 a pair). Google www.yaktrax.com to see them. I got mine at our local farm store.

Jewel, when is your grandchild due? Is this the first one?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What a deal. Snow in everyone of the 49 states & they can't ski at the Olympics.
We have about 24' on the ground on the level. Many groves & yards have huge drifts & piles of snow. Our December 1st snow is still with us.
It's been very cold all winter, but enough snow cover that ground hasn't froze much. Drainage ditches are running because the snow is melting from the bottom.The creek south of us has a wide area behind a road. The water was high enough it is above the snow.
Winds tomorrow are predicated at 35 MPH so we will have another white out!
We've been busy with cabinets. Put this showcase in a local high school today.
No seeds started yet, soon though.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I want spring and green out. Even a little mud might be welcome. A little not alot. :>)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I think we are locked into a late spring. All this snow just like a cooler of ice. Never warms up.
Not much happening outside of the cabinet shop.
Should start some tomatoes one of these days. With piles of snow around, it's hard to get motivated.

Bernie

Waddy, KY

Same down here. I've been thinking about starting a flat of tomatoes just to try to get some earlier this year but when the ground's frozen and there's that darned four letter word on the ground it's hard to think green stuff. We got my MIL back home from a week's stay at the hospital so at least things should calm down around here some. She's tickled to be in her own bed and so am I as I was the one staying with her at night through the majority of the stay. All I can say is she's one tough little 88 year old woman. I hope I'm that tough if I make it that long...

Got two spring calves on the ground. First calf heifers. At least they weren't stupid and figured out what to do with the calves without having to be shown.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello all. I came home yesterday - two new titanium knee joints and 10 days of in patient physical therapy behind me. The new knees are fine, the old soft tissue is just a bit unsure about them yet. Quite a bit of stiffness and swelling, but I am told that I am quite well along by the the therapists, so that's good.

The winter here has been fairly mild.We never had the melt off in January that we often do, but it settles, so there are only between 2 and 3 feet on the ground, except where it drifts, of course. Stan just said there's been about 200 inches of the white stuff at the county seat, which is running quite average.

The wandering heifer is still at it. Blaze is quite happy about her waywardness as it gives him something to do. Stan had to put her in before he came and got me yesterday. I guess she didn't want to feel left out.

Richmond, TX

You got both knees replaced at the same time? Tough lady!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

This morning I called the guy that owns the milk trucks and route and told him I was gonna be in big trouble in about a half hour........nobody came to pick our milk up yesterday. He was dumbfounded. Said "I will be right over". I think I could have put in a couple hundred pounds, but that would have been about it. He got here just after I got started. I think the guy that is supposed to be our "regular" is gonna get canned over this. Boss said he has been having some issues with him, thinks he knows it all, etc. and this was sorta the "last straw" deal. We shall see. Anyway, he was extremely apologetic over the whole thing. So, we'll see what happens.

Sun out and not a cloud in the sky today. Now if it would just be 80...........LOL

Just wondering.........is there going to be a Farm Journal thread at "the other place)???

Richmond, TX

I think you can start whatever you want.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

If you can find it in the 2000 or so forums. I started a couple, they e-mailed Trish & had her remove them.
We got stupid wind again today. Blowing snow all over the place. Some schools are dismissing early. Already schools are adding days in June to make up the ones off for snow.
I was planning on driving to Albert Lea for lumber & some other supplies. Not sure if I will go or not. Lots of snow blowing across the roads, which usually makes slick spots.

Get well soon Kathleen. The hay bales will be waiting for you this summer. LOL!

Bernie

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Bernie, why on earth would anyone have threads removed?? I cannot imagine you using profanity or vulgar remarks. What IS the matter with some people, anyway. Sheesh....

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Who Bernie? I don't understand.

Kathleen, you are a tough lady, and I have to tip my hat to you having both knees replaced at the same time. Hope your recovery is flawless and quick. But, come to think about it, I wouldn't want to go through it twice either. Gardening season will be here soon.

We've had a few nights of 10 to 15 degrees with no snow cover, so that is hard on the plants. The forecast says we should get more snow tonight, but they are wrong so much of the time......

I bought onion sets and hubby bought grass seed at the farm store today. He might be able to plant the seed soon, and I hope the onions can go in the ground before they sprout in the bag. They give seniors a discount on Tuesdays, so we try to take advantage of that.

Lambs are due in 2 and a half weeks. Hope we have good weather.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't like the site. I was going to start forums on gardening & gladiolus. After a few days & everyone starting their own forums & not joining anybody elses, I decided to just stay on DG & keep doing here what I have always done. So I had them removed.
See, here I mention something & people are concerned & share with you. I didn't see that happening there.

Below zero tonight. Lots of schools starting late tomorrow. Roads are drifted shut.

I had to cancel my trip to the lumber store today. I will try it again tomorrow.

Bernie

Richmond, TX

I find that site confusing; I hope it is just in the developmental stage and will straighten out with time. (If we mention it by name do we get sensored?)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't like it either. Too hard to navigate.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They are well over 2200 forums now. It will never end!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

You'd have thought Dave could have kept it pretty much the same as this site, with a couple of minor changes so it wouldn't be *exactly* the same thing.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Part of it is that it's beta, and part of it is that each Cubit is it's own site. You can design your own, make it by invitation only, open it up, whatever you want. Trying to keep track of all of them is just plain impossible. I've got one started called Hillfarm: Words and Pictures. I only have two forums so far, but I plan a couple more.

Things move along here. My eldest took a couple of days off from school to ride herd on me, and I am going to miss her tomorrow. Not that I can't do what I need to do, but it has been nice having her around. Stan will just have to put up with me, I guess.

Waddy, KY

Mercy, Kathleen, both knees at the same time? A brave woman for sure.

Another dusting of snow this morning. DD is fit to be tied. Another day at home bedding barns and finding some wood to cut for this evening. We've got to cut wood this weekend or get pretty cold.

I've planted a few tomato seeds but am holding off the main planting until around the 15th of March. I'm hoping that DH either buys or borrows a plastic laying machine this year. I've got to do something to save some time. I haven't bought any onion sets yet. DH can get them from the place where he's a seed dealer but they're in 32 pound bags. I highly doubt that I need that many. Will we get peas and potatoes in the ground before March 15? I guess time will tell but things had better straighten up.

Geez Anna, not pick up the milk? Yeah, if that guy's still on the truck the next time it comes in the drive I'd be amazed. He wouldn't be if he were my employee

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ah, brave or foolish - I think there's a fine line with this one. they were equally shot, and I figure this is time efficient, all the bad stuff done at once. I still have to take some pain meds, but I think it's going pretty well. The Low pressure that's bringing the nor'easter isn't helping, everything that normally hurts is pretty stiff today and exercises were tough, but then, so am I. lol

We're having a very light snow right now, a little fog and temps in the low 20s. I think we'll miss the worst of the weather, but it is sliding west. These storms are always the hardest to take, they come from the wrong direction.

Stan is out fixing silo unloader. I suggested he call a friend, but he thought he'd be better off on his own. There is certainly nothing I can do. This could get frustrating by the end, but I am looking to be better by spring - not back to normal, but definitely better.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The boss man picked up our milk yesterday, so I went and said to him "I'm dying to know what the excuse was that our milk didn't get picked up". Boss man said "he really didn't have one. He no longer works for me". I asked if he'd have to pay unemployment since he canned him, he said yes, but it would be worth it so he wouldn't be pulling out his hair. LOL I guess even his wife told him it would be worth it.

Waddy, KY

If you get fired for poor performance you can draw unemployment? Something's not right there.

Kathleen, when my father had the knee replacement he used an exercise bike for a while. It was sort of funny to think of him on it but he said it surely helped him.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, in these parts if you get fired, you get unemployment. Not if you quit, tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images