Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: I'm back and looking for pond inspiration...

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 8, Views: 161
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
evesta
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7556702

Hello everyone! I've been gone for awhile. Big changes in my life kept me away but happy to be back. I'm looking for pond pics to inspire me and get me through this crazy winter! Please post anything you got!

I've moved in to a new home, a 1910 Craftsman and will be building my new pond there. I learned a lot from my first pond and although this one will have to be smaller because my new yard is much smaller, I want it to be better:)

I am toying with the idea of a partially raised pond, dug into the ground but with an edging above ground I can sit on. I will be able to get rock for free, hopefully stacking field stone from an old foundation but would like to mortar and have never done anything like that before, so any advice is appreciated!

I gave up my koi when I moved but still have some wakin and comets waiting for a new home. My backyard is also much more shadded and I've never done a watergarden in the shade, any advice with that? Thanks!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2010
9:08 PM

Post #7556719

about the shade part, if there are lots of trees, you may have problems with roots in the pond?
If you want to trim any of the trees, do it before you put in the pond. I've never had to repair a liner, but I'm sure its very difficult and may not always work.
When we moved here, the trees were branched really low, and we limbed them up a good deal and that let more light in the yard.
I use a cement bench next to my pond, instead of putting seating in the edge area.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2010
1:23 AM

Post #7557225

It sounds like a lot of fun re-designing a new pond. I, too, had originally wanted a bit of a raised edge so that I could get closer to the fish but because we are on a slope it would have been difficult to do what I wanted. Also, will a raised edge be a problem in NE? Would you have to keep the water level at earth level for winter to keep it from cracking? Go deep and put in the bottom drain. I saw a very cool pond last summer in the pond tours of our area and it was in a small yard. He had two ponds connected by very large diameter piping between that ran underneath his patio. The smaller pond was very deep so that when he had to clean the ponds he would lower the water so that each pond was separated when the pipe was higher than the water. He would get all the fish into the deep smaller pond and clean the larger, planted side. Also, the fish would automatically swim to the deep side if a heron came to the large but shallow pond. The fish also overwintered on the deep side. Having the fish on both sides of his patio was very interesting and more interactive and all this was in a very small yard.

Keep us posted on what your pond ideas and lots of pictures please!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2010
2:32 AM

Post #7570687

I don't have any experience with raised ponds, but I know a little about shade :)

My pond receives about 2-3 hours of direct sun, and that may be stretching. While there are some disadvantages, I think there are many advantages too. Less sun often means less algae and water temps stay cooler which is better for fish. Leaves and debris can be a nuisance, but I've never had anything but shade so I am perhaps so accustomed to it that I don't really think twice. My waterlilies do not bloom profusely, but they do bloom. I have six pots and usually have 2-3 blooms at a time. Nothing compared to what you'd get in full sun, but somehow they are more special when they are rare :) There are also plenty of shade loving plants that look great next to water so I don't feel deprived. Astilbe is one of my favorites.

Here's my pond in the shade. (I've posted this many times - so my apologies if you've seen it.)

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2010
3:58 AM

Post #7570815

LOVE IT!

just gorgeous!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7571084

SongsofJoy -

your pond always look so cool and inviting...
evesta
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2010
9:28 PM

Post #7574942

Thanks for all the advice and pics! It is snowing here again so trying to warm up with gardening and pond ideas. I'm not sold on the partially raised pond. I think informals are easier and I have experience with those. I'm going to have to down size, I just don't have the room here. Now to check out more pics;)
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7629150

I've often thought that I'd like a "do over" with my pond.
I think we all make mistakes that we'd like to correct but the thought of tearing every thing down to start over is just too overwhelming...but a brand new yard is a golden opportunity to use your hard won experience to create a better pond.
I think your approach of looking at pictures and getting input is the way to go. You will see things you love and also things that might make you think "OMG, What were they thinking!!"
I will post a pic of my pond in summer and hope it's not one of the "OMG" ones!!
I am sooo envious of your Craftsman home- I just love that style of architecture, for some reason it is so warm and homey to me; I don't know why since I grew up in a 100 year old Victorian and my home now is an older Dutch Colonial. I am torn between Craftsman and Cottage style as my absolute favorite!
Best to you on both projects, MW

Thumbnail by mwhit

Kgb4013
Broxton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7629275

My pond is so close to my porch that I can sit in the rocking chair or swing and feed the fish. A smaller pond will certainly be easier for you to keep clean. I have a major problem with algae, we live in South Georgia, zone 8 so our summers are very hot and humid. It also gets full afternoon sun and that contributes to the algae problem also. I have thought about putting in a raised pond in the back yard so I am very interested in what you decide to do. It is almost warm enough here to put my plants back in the pond from the greenhouse. Are you going to install a bottom drain and uv lights? Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Sharon, Broxton, GA

Thumbnail by Kgb4013

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America