Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?: Sugarplums

Communities > Forums > Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette?Replies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
honeycat
New Orleans, LA

February 14, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7557846

What threegardeners described is what I always assumed were the real sugarplums, that is, hard sweets with the color and shape of plums,but the version with marzipan and a blanched almond and soaked in rum would surely satisfy the definition for the adults. Hard to drop that kind in the stocking (or shoe, as the case may be).

And of course, if they were real plums, there could be several choices: mirellen, Indian plums, damson plums, and prune plums plus more, probably. (Prune is the French word for plum, I think.)

Thanks Carrie for the article.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 15, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7559766

It's truly difficult to know. I recently learned that the story Tchaikovsky used was written in Germany many years earlier, so perhaps there WAS overlap between Germans who settled in upstate NY and the German fairy tale that found its way into Tchaikovsky's music.

In any event, you're right, it's hard to reconcile anything actually sweet and fruity with being retrievable from a stocking, intact. Thanks, honeycat, for your thoughtful comment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Will the REAL sugarplum please do a pirouette? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sugarplum Hemophobic 7 Dec 12, 2009 5:35 PM
What were those... threegardeners 7 Dec 27, 2010 1:02 PM
Mmmmm gwen21 3 Dec 14, 2009 9:15 PM
My Family''s Version eskarp 7 Dec 31, 2010 9:35 AM
sugarplum edrcook1 1 Dec 16, 2009 9:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America