-
AuthorContent
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
1:48 AM

Post #7559644

There were some nice pictures last summer of Michelle Obama working in her White House vegetable garden with children. Unfortunately, that seems to have been a publicity stunt.

I read recently that in an ill-considered environmental gesture during the Clinton adminstration, the White House garden was fertilized with sewage sludge. It is now considered contaminated, and so the garden is planted and raised at taxpayer expense, children are invited, pictures are taken, and the vegetables are thrown away. Politics.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2010
2:20 AM

Post #7559704

Not true.

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/06/white-house-kitchen-garden-as-media.html

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2009/08/white-house-releases-new-lead-test.html

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
3:27 AM

Post #7559828

Maybe, maybe not. I have no way of knowing.

All I know is that a Google search for "White House garden sewage" produces 460,000 hits, most of them reporting just what I said - including some well-known publications and news sources.

Without getting into politics, which is the last thing we want on Dave's Garden, I'll say that recent developments in other areas have shown that there are "scientists" and "educators" who'll present as facts whatever powerful people want them to say.

And when that happens, none of us have any way of knowing what's really true.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2010
4:02 AM

Post #7559909

Just because hateful people flood the internet and certain tv networks with misinformation doesn't make it true. Think about it. The White House garden is some sort of liberal conspiracy? The president and his wife are feeding homeless people and school kids toxic vegetables? Or pretending to feed them homegrown veggies to make it look like they're sincere about good health?

If that soil would've tested unsafe, they would've ripped everything out and replanted in raised beds. That would've been a heck of a lot easier than convincing 100s of people to keep a secret for no good reason. They could've used it as an opportunity to educate people about soil testing and how to deal with contamination. Think about it.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7559968

I'm not going to say any more about it, because this isn't the place. I'm pretty sure you and I will be voting opposite ways come November - but at least we'll both be nourished on home-grown veggies when we do it. LOL

Best wishes, and back to gardening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardeners in the White House Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Well Done! darius 12 Feb 15, 2010 12:08 PM
Nice Job! catmom1 0 Jan 20, 2009 7:33 PM
Really enjoyable! Sundownr 1 Jan 23, 2009 3:50 AM
Gardening is fine.. Noturf 0 Jan 26, 2009 1:15 PM
Great Article! Petalpants 1 Feb 15, 2010 4:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America