Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants: Interested with questions

Communities > Forums > Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slywlf

slywlf
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7560789

I have a tiny Catskills motel with just over one acre. One third is the motel, one third is the septic field and the remaining third is garden where the sun shines (we inherited some beautiful mature trees) with struggling lawn in the shady areas. The previous owners were totally uninterested in the health of the 6 apple trees, and focused all their money and energy on chemically maintaining the lawn. I have spent 6 years organically feeding the apple trees - they are now once again producing viable, if not yet beautiful apples, and I have raised beds of herbs, flowers and veggies. The soil is compacted, clayey and rocky (hence the raised beds) and we are in zone 5. I am interested in improving the soil, and my yield of food and beauty, but need to know if some strains are better suited to this region and climate, so I don't waste money on strains that are incompatible. I don't use pesticides or herbicides, and every year we get bees, even when the neighbors don't - I guess they can tell ;-) but the soil has been so abused over the years it needs more than my little compost heap (remember - it's a motel so I have to keep it discrete). Any suggestions and info would be appreciated!
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 15, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7560806

Thanks for writing! In researching the mycorrhizal products, I did not note any of them specifying zone recommendations. Therefore, I can only assume that either 1) most of the strains included are adaptable to a wide range of zones or 2) the blend of strains included in most mixes includes strains that cover all the U. S. zones. As far as amending your abused soil, perhaps you can spread some composted cow manure (doesn't have the objectionable odor that fresh manure does). If you don't have access to some from a nearby farm, Home Depot carries it in bags. I've used it and no one will notice that you've applied it (except the plants, of course).

Hope this helps!
AmyInNH
Brookline, NH

February 11, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9415766

A doubting Thomas, because of my zone 5 ultra sandy soil and brutally sunny yard, I've been reluctant to try new things. The Espoma Bio-tone with mycorrhizal made a remarkable difference in my existing plants/trees' ability to deal with the heat stress last summer. Impressive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mycorrhizae - Optimizing the Roots of Your Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article doccat5 5 Feb 9, 2010 5:59 AM
Orchids rosa18 2 Feb 13, 2008 4:14 PM
possible purchase dbsmith2 2 Feb 13, 2008 6:42 PM
T-22 fungus Indy 1 Feb 14, 2008 12:14 AM
Bio-tone ?? esteve59 3 Apr 27, 2009 9:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America