Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Sassafras: Sassafras tea

Communities > Forums > Article: Sassafras
bookmark
Forum: Article: SassafrasReplies: 2, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
annhelen
Townsend, GA

February 15, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7561035

I, too, remember sassafras. I remember my father and I digging the roots for making tea each year. The scent coming out of the damp soil when the shovel hit the bark of the roots was lovely. I will still make sassafras tea when I can. I used to make sassafras fudge, pink and fragrant. I hope and believe that the study was faulty. None of my family who drank the tea ever had cancer.
arbs
Boalsburg, PA

February 15, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7561101

Remember a few years ago when coffee was a contributing cause of cancer? The Amish here in central Pennsylvania sell and drink copious amounts of sassafras tea and sell root shavings to us English...no twigs however. As a child at summer camp we chewed sassafras and birch twigs while learning tree identification. I recall that both twigs were said to have been used by Native Americans as toothbrushes and were an alternative if one was lost in the woods.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
3:38 AM

Post #7562998

I still drink it when I find the source. And I still chew the twigs when I find a tree. I've done that for years now, and I agree with both of you.

However, it seems they tested it on mice, and too much of anything tested on a small critter is going to produce something negative, no doubt. But changes in that finding probably won't be reversed in our lifetime.

And so I continue to write articles on the old ways, but I feel I have to add the warnings as a caution. Too much of anything is never good, you know. But a cup of sassafras tea a day never hurt me. Neither did chewing the twigs.

Thanks for you insight and for your comments. Maybe someday we'll sit down and share a cup of tea.
Stay warm! (even down in Georgia)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sassafras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
root beer irisMA 27 Mar 12, 2010 6:24 PM
Australian Sassafras kennedyh 1 Feb 9, 2010 5:56 AM
Chewing sassafras twigs roseone33 5 Feb 9, 2010 9:35 PM
Cute birder17 5 Feb 16, 2010 2:39 AM
I wouldn't worry... wantrealfood 6 Feb 21, 2010 1:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America