Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Sexing Cockoo Marans

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 42, Views: 256
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 15, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7561232

I hatched three Marans chicks. They were supposed to be all cockoo, but the breeder said that there were some cooper blue hens in the hen house when she went to pick out my eggs. I told her to send them along anyway!

I think I got two cockoo hens and a Cooper blue roo.

What do you think?
Pictures to come next...
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 15, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7561291

Here is one pic.

Thumbnail by Imagesoart
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 15, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7561296

Roo to the right, I think.
He is really friendly, and has feathered legs, and is the cooper blue. The other two, (cockoos) do not.

Thumbnail by Imagesoart
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 15, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7561316

One more thing. Does this breed eat a lot? Because they sure do go through the food. They also grew faster then my other hens. They were twice the size then the others at the same age. I have four others, two Brahmas, an Americauna, and a brown Leghorn. I love the color of the eggs. So now I have, green, white, brown, and soon dark brown.

Are there any other colors?

I hope that I can breed my Americauna and the Cooper Blue Marans, and get a olive egg!

Let me know what you think!

Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 15, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7561370

You can definitely get an olive egg. ZZ won some on eBay that were created by crossing Marans with EEs. The gene for blue eggs is dominant and over brown eggs it results in eggs that are anything from aquamarine to olive, depending on how dark the brown pigment is.

The pictures aren't appearing on my computer...but female Cuckoo Marans chicks are darker than the males and have darker legs and feet as well.

My experience with Cuckoo Marans is that they are pretty chunky and the roos are especially sturdy--like tanks. I don't know that I noticed that they ate more though.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7561412

So sure that is a roo.. I mean.. wow! He is pretty too!! The two others look like pullets to me for sure. Catsy knows cuckoo marans better than I do.. but according to what she's told me.. they look like pullets..

I thought the olive eggs were gonna be awesome, but I ended up not liking the color at all... *just me*

Good luck!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 15, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7561441

The pictures just came up! And I agree completely.

One thing about Marans...the roos are muy macho.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 15, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #7561897

I'm not surprised that they eat a lot. You don't mature early or get to be a tank by eating "like a bird". Perhaps they will be more economical once they are full grown.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 16, 2010
12:06 AM

Post #7562382

Well I raise cuckoo's, black/coppers, blue coppers. Honestly I definitely see two pullets and a roo, however I see no signs in the pic that indicate the roo is a blue/copper. A blue copper should be predominately copper with blue tail, and saddle. Maybe it's just not a clear pic but I can't see it. The feathered feet would indicate the french standard, while non feathered would indicate american standard. Catsy is right the roos are very tankish, and either very friendly or very aggressive. That is the cuckoo roos I was speaking of. Not black or blue/Copper. Hay
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 16, 2010
1:44 AM

Post #7562659

Hmmm... He is all black. That is not what Cockoo Roos look like is it? The only reason I thought that, was that the breeder told me she thought she had some black cooper hens in the Cockoo hen house...Hmmmm... What is he?
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 16, 2010
1:51 AM

Post #7562693

There are black Marans. Cuckoo Marans roos look very similar to Barred Plymouth Rocks--just a little smudgier. They are noticeably lighter, more silvery, than the pullets. You can tell as soon as they are fluffed up after hatching.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 16, 2010
2:11 AM

Post #7562741

Your absolutely right Catsy about the cuckoo's and the roo's are much lighter than the hens. Look at the head area of the Rooster and it has some white in it similiar to the cuckoo's but I don't see that pattern in the body and that would lead me to believe it is either a cross or possibly a black, but certainly not a blue/copper. What is interesting is there was mention of blue coppers being in the hen house when the eggs were laid but there was no mention of any blacks? Catsy look carefully at the head area around the back of the comb, it appears to me that it has some very faint white spots. How old is the roo? This is interesting and I would like to see more pic's of this bird. Howie.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 16, 2010
2:36 AM

Post #7562824

It is hard to tell from the picture, Hay. But I wonder what colour would result from a Cuckoo/Blue Copper cross. I think you would lose the dilution for blue..

Maybe as in other Blue coloured varieties, you would have the potential for Black, Blue and Splash. Then throw in the Cuckoo...maybe Black?

I just hatched five Blue Cochin chicks...two are black, one looks like it will be dark blue, one light and one possibly splash. The genes involved with this segregation are often referred to as "Andalusian Blue genes", after the Blue Andalusian breed--but it applies to all birds carrying the genes.

This is a very simple description of it:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3562103
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 16, 2010
3:45 AM

Post #7563027

Again, your right, and I also agree that with a blue/copper, and cuckoo cross you'd definitely loose the blue and end up with a black, but only black in color, it would not qualify as a black copper breed. I think we are in agreement here that this roo is definitely a cross...none the less a wonderful bird and I would not be surprised if it laid a little darker egg than the cuckoo's either. Good luck with your birds imagesoart. Hay
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 16, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7563278

I would be quite surprised if that rooster laid a darker egg, or any egg!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 16, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7563287

Ya gotta BELIEVE, porkpal!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7563618

But what about the rusty color on that roo's neck? Do cuckoos get that rust? I see white, yes, but not mention of that rusty area...

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 17, 2010
3:11 AM

Post #7565620

OH My Gosh: PorkPal I can't believe I said that...You sure got me...LOL

ZZ's thanks for pointing that rust out, as I can't see it due to my eyesight. However that would lend itself to that bird being a black/copper marans of the french standard. But Imagesoart was told blue copper. possibly rather than cuckoo. One thing is for sure that copper or as you said rust color will increase mightly within the next month and down into the saddle area if it is indeed a black/copper. Maybe it was just a mistake communicating the color. Beautiful bird nonethe less. Hay.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 17, 2010
3:43 AM

Post #7565673

Thanks all! The chicks are 7 weeks old. I will try to get more pictures of the group! I will also try to find the e-mails describing the "problem" when collecting the eggs.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 17, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7566488

For a minute there I thought, " Wow, Haystack said that my black chicken could lay a dark egg!" There is still hope that he is a she... !! :)

I like the idea of having many egg colors. I have an Americauna that lays teal eggs. (They call it blue, but really it is teal) Two Brahmas that lay nice brown eggs. One Brown Danish Leghorn, that lays the whitest white eggs. Does the leghorn mature late? She seems to lay on egg once or twice a week. I have only had my chickens for a year, so only one season. They are on a winter break, and I hope they will start laying soon. AND, my Marans, with the extra dark eggs. I hatched them myself so I could be sure of the egg color!

The question is are there any other colors of chicken eggs? I have heard about Salmon Blue Faverolles, which are supposed to lay a Pinkish egg. Is that true? Any other colors?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 17, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7566623

Leghorns normally mature early and are heavy layers. The only egg colors I know are white, various shades of brown, and the blue/ green eggs of the Ameraucana types. I think the "pink" eggs are really a pale rose- brown. A bonus is speckled eggs from some hens, but I don't think they are breed-specific.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 18, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7568570

There is a yellow egg, though I have never gotten one and don't remember who lay's them. They are not normally yellow but from time to time some people get one. Google it and you'll see...LOL...I'm not joking. Hay.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 18, 2010
6:39 AM

Post #7568713

I'll bet Catscan will tell us.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 18, 2010
8:12 AM

Post #7568758

Naughty porkpal...of course I will.

As far as I know the colour range of chicken eggs is primarily a result of the presence of porphyrins (brownish) or oocyanin (blue) or both (green) or neither (white).

It is more complex, of course, because there are dose effects and modifiers...but I don't know of a specific gene for yellow eggs. Individual birds will produce speckled eggs--and some breeds, like Welsummers, are more likely to produce speckled eggs.

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/egg_shell_color/egg_shell_color.php

Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 24, 2010
1:34 AM

Post #7582936

OK, silly question. What age are roos able to mate? AND we get fertile eggs?

BTW, My roo is getting more copper on his neck. The gal that sold me the eggs, says he is a black copper. Haystack was right!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #7586219

Roos can vary quite a bit--some are very slow to mature. But I think by six months most are able to. Some earlier, some later...pretty much as soon as they are trying, the are succeeding.

Look what I found while trying to find a way to sex my Cochins! It is another way to sex chicks by holding them upside down by their legs...not the old chicken flippen...this is different and even has an imaginative "anatomical" explanation.

"Dana Baker said...

A wives tale I heard about also is to hold the chick upside down by the legs if it pulls up to peck at your hand it is a cockerel if not a pullet. This is because cockerels have more developed breast muscles then pullets. This method worked for me and can be done at any time."
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #7586343

So I tried the "chick dangling" method and it works...sort of...I think...

I have a large group of two week old chicks, various breeds. Some, like the RIR and BR, I think I can sex by colouring. When I tested those, some of the ones I thought were males did indeed lift themselves up and peer at me over their feet. None of the ones I thought were pullets did that. They just sort of hung there.

However, one caveat...some chicks that I am pretty sure are males, just hung there too. They didn't seem upset enough to try to pull themselves up.

So at this point, I am willing to postulate that any chick that can pull itself up, is a rooster. But, if a chick doesn't try to pull itself up...you really can't say.

I think we need more data...it is time for a mass dangle. Dangle and report.

If this works it is earth shaking!

Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 25, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7586846

Funny you should mention this. I read that at two days old, you should pick up a chick by the scruff of the neck (kind of like a kitten) and if it dangles it is a pullet and if it squirm and pulls it's feet up it is a roo.

I also read that if you put them in your hand and sort of hold them so they are on their backs, the pullets will just lay back and the roos will try to push their legs out and pull their heads up.

That did work with these three. So there... it must be scientific! ;)
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7586893

i did the dangle thing the other night just trying to get the chickens back in the coop after the possum was in there.. one roo, The Little Roo Who Couldn't, hung upside down like a dead chicken.. even cooed at me. a hen, Miss DumDum.. fought like crazy & kept trying to pull herself up, Goldie (another roo) fought me & hated being upside down, another hen, Esme hung upside down like a dead chicken mouthing me all the way to the coop. :) so my chickens aren't very scientific about it..

a lady at the farm store who took care of the baby chicks could sex them by letting them sit in her palm, then putting two fingers on either side of the head & gently pulling up.. a roo would fight & a hen would just sit there. Worked pretty good.. i ended up with all Hens from that batch. Granted it looked a little uncomfortable & I was afraid to try since i felt like I'd pull their little heads off their shoulders.
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7586909

Hi Imagesoart---I hadn't heard about the scruff of the neck dangle. We did do a trial of turning them on their backs and watching their legs last year on the Forum. I think it tends to work for the same reason that, supposedly, if you toss your hat over a group of chicks, the roos will be the ones that stick their heads up to look, while the pullets will hunker down and run. Boys are just bold with a limited sense of self-preservation. I guess that is what makes them heroic.

But sometimes the same chick would stick both legs out one time and pull them both back the next...so it was confusing.

I tested dangling again this morning on some 5 day old chicks--some of which were auto-sexing. Again, some of the chicks did an immediate "sit up", the kind your sadistic high school gym teacher was always trying to force you to do. And, of the ones that did a sit up, all were known to be roos. The pullets do this sort of graceful back bend while acting helpless. But again some that I believe are roosters, just hung there.

I do suspect that only cockerels can do the sit up...if they want to.

Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7586910

No! Greykyttyn, don't tell me that. Did your angry hen actually get her head up to her feet?

This message was edited Feb 25, 2010 12:39 PM
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 25, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7587367

I'm headed out to dangle some young "pullets" - results later.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7587412

yes she did.. she's a buff orpington. Not very sweet.. not very partial to being upside down either. She's on the list to cull. BUT she had to bat her wings pretty hard to do that. Raven my little black bantam doesn't like being upside down either. She will try to fly back upright. Not sure they are using muscles as much as beating their wings 90 miles per sec to get back upright.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7587422

Catscan... One of the kids will be here this weekend.. We might try it on all the chickens.. get a varied group. I've got several roos (8) that I can try... I do know that all mine that were roos did the leg thing right we tried last year. Never heard of the hat trick.. might have to try that while taking a photo. It would be fun to watch. Do you know how to sex Polish chicks? Going to replace mom's for her birthday & would like to not end up with 5 roos...
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
9:10 PM

Post #7587600

Hmmmm. Flapping wildly might invalidate the results. Chicks can't, they just sort of hoist themselves up and look at you. Very muscular. No flapping.

Maybe it works best with chicks? Which is okay, those are usually the ones you are trying to sex.

We definitely need more data points...
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 25, 2010
10:39 PM

Post #7587776

Shoot, I don't have anymore chicks to dangle... I have been thinking of getting some more... Just for the science of it all... of course...!
Catscan
Lodi
United States

February 25, 2010
11:10 PM

Post #7587823

That would be very noble and self-sacrificing of you, Imagesoart.
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2010
12:22 AM

Post #7587970

ya.. its pretty easy to tell who my roos are.. even The Little Roo Who Couldn't... he's very rooish looking.. even if he's not very good at it. :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 26, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7589156

My "dangling" experiment: like Greykyttn's, my pullets had no trouble flapping their way up above their feet - could chin themselves on my hand. It felt as if they were also using their leg muscles to flex their hocks or ankles or whatever that joint is called on chickens. So as Catscan suggested, I think this method of sexing only works on chicks that have no significant wings. My main conclusion: chickens don't like being picked up by the feet!
greykyttyn
Joplin, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7590397

lol depends.. i could carry a couple of my roos around all day by their feet.. they just go limp & don't care.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

February 27, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7590481

Don't laugh now, but the dangle really does work, That was how I selected my wife and sure enough, a pullet. ROTFLMBO.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

March 1, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7596851

The chicks are out in the coop! I have them separated, for now. But they can see each other. My flock was a little surprised to hear the rooster crow. He is the sweetest thing. He only crows, little crows! The chicks were kind of timid. They are 9 weeks old now, and not quite as big as the others, but larger then most 9 week olds.

My question is, how long should they be separated? Until the little ones are bigger? for a certain amount of weeks?

Do I always have to keep the rooster away from the ones I don't want him canoodling with?

Haystack - Glad to hear that dangling worked out for you! What a surprise that would have been!!! :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7597084

Someone dangled Haystack?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America