Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds: thrifty suet & squirrel entertainment

Communities > Forums > Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the SongbirdsReplies: 4, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardennot
Willingboro, NJ

February 15, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7561940

save your left over cooked oatmeal, freeze in pot pie containers. The birds gobble it up.
Add peanut butter to the cooked mixture for a variety:.
bread, or cereal crumbs,or left over microwave popcorn.

Save your meat drippings and add to your pot pie containers in the freezer. The birds love this just as much as the store bought suet and always come back for more.

Need to keep the squirrels away?
Toss out (away from the bird feeders) a peanut butter jar that hasn't been entirely scraped out... not only will you be entertained watching the squirrels antics to get at it. You'll be keeping him away from your prized bird sightings at the feeder.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 16, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7564337

My dog was minding it's own bussiness, sleeping right next to the back door. We were all watching TV when suddenly the scent of skunk almost knocked us down. The dog was suddenly awake and trying to get into the house - we have a glass back door and she (dog) was whining and begging to get in.

She (dog) finally came awake enought to give up trying to get in and took off after the skunk that came up on the back porch, ate out of her bowl, and sprayed her while she slept.

The lesson is:
Too many peanut butter jars could be hard on the dogs trying to enforce security, might make it hardef on them to get enough hours in the day or night to get some sleep. I mean she (our dog) does have a hard enough time keeping the coyotes and foxes away from the geese and the cows and now this!.
Gardennot
Willingboro, NJ

February 20, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7573895

Ewww, That was nasty. Sorry about the skunk spray attack. When a skunk comes around here what usually works is to keep the lights on outside. Also moth balls does help deter them. I haven't had any more problems with the skunks when the lights are flicked on outside. Try this Liquidambar2. Good Luck with that!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

February 20, 2010
1:55 PM

Post #7574032

Good gosh Gardnenot;
We have a lot of light coming out of house - it is a wall of windows I even have three of those big arch windows up high above in one of those big huge vaulted ceilings 20 feet high!

I have a blue heeler who's biggest joy of life is to grab 2230 pound bull's tail and swing on it as the bull runs away kicking at it! This same blue heeler goes after the two coyotes fearlessly ever night and chases them off into the woods. And a skunk comes up on our back porch and get this dog while it is asleep. (This is a joke between my husband and me so don't take it that I am being mean - but I told him if he was a real man he would be out there with a gun protecting his dog)
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

April 28, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7744582

Skunk traps are cheap.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Friends, the Songbirds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks Fitsy 8 Jan 1, 2008 6:10 AM
excellent vhbt 0 Dec 31, 2007 2:10 PM
Attracting & feeding backyard birds Buzzdog 7 Feb 19, 2010 4:41 AM
Attracting and Keeping our Feathered Fri gardnut 0 Sep 6, 2009 8:39 PM
My experience is a bit different Elphaba 42 Feb 14, 2011 2:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America