Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: Have you heard about the perennial sale in April in Nashvil?

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7562323

A friend told me recently that they are having a big perennial sale at the Fairgrounds on Sat., April 10th, from 9am-2pm. Has anyone heard about this? Does anyone know who the sellers are? If you have details, please post them here.
Thanks,
Karen

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
2:33 AM

Post #7562811

New one on me - I'd love to know more!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 16, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7563082

I think this is the Herb Society sale they have there. There is an exotic bird sale I set up at every year the same time at the fairgrounds. I usually walk over to it. One thing I can tell you is to get there early because the line gets to be a block long well before it opens. If I remember it opens around 9 and ends around 2 and is 1 day only.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7563486

So do you think they only sell herbs?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
1:44 PM

Post #7563615

Hmmm, I thought bet this is it:

http://www.ppsmt.com/custpage.cfm/frm/15782/sec_id/15782/news_id/8055

I thought this one was at Cheekwood, but it looks like it is at the fairgrounds (at least for this year...wonder where everything will be next year?)
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7563780

Ooh, yes, that's it. I also found the Herb Society has a sale the next weekend. Thanks, Terry. Have you ever been to this? Are their prices reasonable?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7563789

I've never been, but Betty (Picabo) has been to the herb sale...I think anyway - hopefully I'm not talking out of school here ;o) She can kick me under the table if I mispoke.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

February 16, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7565017

I'm confused. Are there 2 sales just different weekends?
I know I went to the herb sale last year. It was almost all herbs and by the time I got over to it they where almost all gone.
The year before I went to a sale in the same building and it had a little of everything. Hostas, daylilies, aroids and other things.
I am curious as to where these events will move to when they close the fairgrounds. I have been setting up for probably 15 years at the bird sale and when I was there in Oct they where saying it would be closing this Summer.
babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7566117

Yes, I think its ridiculous that they are closing the fairgrounds to turn it into more condos and office buildings. Like Nashville needs more!!

Yes, apparently there are two sales - the Perennial Society is on April 10th and the Herb Society is on April 17th. On the Herb Society's page they list the plants they will bringing. There are alot of flowers, not just herbs.

I bought a clematis armandii last weekend from Crenshaw's Landscaping at the Antique & Garden show. He had a big display and was selling off his plants. It was 3' tall and I got it for $30! It smells heavenly like jasmine. I have many kinds of clematis but had never seen an Armandii or smelled one! Wow!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7566206

Ooh, you scored on that one! It is sad about the fairgrounds...selfishly I just wonder where all these events will go.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7567105

Is there a botanical garden in Nashville? Maybe somewhere like that?

MollyD

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7567124

Cheekwood - a beautiful place.

They do hold plant society meetings there regularly, but I don't think they have the parking and facilities to undertake big plant sales or events like the lawn & garden show.
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7567157

Hmmm I wonder where they will move these to then.

MollyD
Badgertalk
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2010
6:50 AM

Post #7676555

I've been to the perennial plant sale before.

Come early, there will be a line at the start time. Bring a box or something to haul your picks in. Its also a good idea to know what normal prices are. One plant may be a crazy good deal while another will be close to full price. They usually have annuals as well.

I would also park away from the building. If you park next to the building, you may be trapped in place by the line of folks getting in and out of the building. Some people are in a plant induced haze and they don't see anything that doesn't do photosynthesis.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America